Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Extremely detailed video about shooting various bugs in various parts with various weapons to learn about armor. There's going to be a whole video about chargers later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XvsSQEx7Z0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Do enemies have a leash on how far they will chase you, or is it more about losing sight of you and turning away? I tried out the advanced technique of "run away" out on some missions last night and hey it turns out it works really well. But it seems like sometimes enemies will just give up the chase after a short distance while other times it's to the death.

There no leash, you can kite things across the entire map. Rodeo clown is a valid class to play.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
They will lose you around terrain sometimes though, but that may just be due to them getting caught up on it and failing to pathfind quickly enough.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

LazyMaybe posted:

They will lose you around terrain sometimes though, but that may just be due to them getting caught up on it and failing to pathfind quickly enough.

Odd, maybe I just ran into some bigger glitches then. I definitely aggroed a bunch of bugs in outposts and ran off, just to see them all turn around and go back home after a relatively short distance. It wasn't consistent, but it happened a handful of times.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Enemies have a short detection range but once they're alert they have hawk eyes. If something randomly explodes take a look around, there might be two pixels of a rocket raider on a distant hillside looking at you. You can drop the aggro of a flamer hulk by luring it around a big enough rock as long as it doesn't get a sightline on you while doing the full 360, but if you try to duck behind cover for a bit to drop aggro of distant enemies they'll immediately spot you again when you make a run for it.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

As European I can confirm I just pick whatever planet and faction I find fancy on the spot, and ignore the galactic war metagame.

The galactic war metagame gets us new toys, though.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Unless you shot them you might not have fully agro'd them in which case they were investigating something they think they saw. Non-patrol enemies do also seem to return to where they started if they completely lose sight of the player.

Bot detection is a bit funky and devastators in particular appear to never lose sight of the player even if you break LOS with terrain.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Had a new experience wearing explosion resistant armour against robots at level seven. I hung back from baddies if i could, lay down and used the laser cannon to hit rocket devastator faces. Mixed success, got some cannon turrets too. They die really fast to the laser when I catch them facing away

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
after my realization about how the AMR sight is aligned, I am rapidly becoming a first person aim andy. especially on bot missions

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

talk of a railgun nerf got me to try the RR and wow, what a good time against bots lol. Tower, tank, other glowy weakspot? kachunk, gently caress you.

ran into a bug last night where if you shoot down a dropship, you'll get one or two immediately spawning in flying way too low, like skimming or clipping through the ground. I hit one with the RR and then one came careening through some rocks, obliterating a teammate 🫡

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I feel like,without amy definite testing, that its both sight and sound based. You can lose bug swarms by snaking through a few big rocks but if you shoot wjile they're within hearing distance then they're going to rush to the spot they heard you shoot from. They can also hear you running and probably wven walking if they're close enough, even through big rock walls and bushes, but sneaking/crouching and crawling are much harder to notice. The stealth armor pwrk is likely refering to how far away they can hear you but might apply to sight as well.

This means you can do stuff like run away past a couple of large rocks (I'm thinking mostly the big bug mounds the bugs like to build around around nests and eggs) and toss a grenade in the opposite direction of where you're running and you'll lose the vast majority of them as the investigate the explosion sound even though you're going full sprint the entire time.

A couple of caveats being the hunters and brood commanders seem to be better at keeping up with and tracking you than the other bugs, and can alert other bugs a short distance behind them that they've found you, and the stalkers seem to not care about detection at all and simply know exactly where you are if you're within like ~150m of their hive.

Bots seem to be more sight baised but can definitely alert every bot in a good sized area of precisely where you are when they see you, or where they last saw you. They can definitely also hear gunshots and explosions though, and probably running at a slightly shorter range than bugs. Once they're hunting you they have a really good sight range outside of heavy weather or smoke too, foilage seems to not really be an issue for them either.

But you definitely can run from both provided you can put some geometry between you and whatevers pursuing you.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm the guy at the end of each mission doing the Jack Sparrow run at the EZ yelling "call the evac!" with a thousand robots in train shooting at me.

E: and I've usually got all the mats so you have to help me lol

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
oh hey, my "major order completed" 45 medals drop just showed up

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
So they coded a handicap for PS5 players to more easily kill elite units :confused:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Risky Bisquick posted:

So they coded a handicap for PS5 players to more easily kill elite units :confused:

tbh its hard to tell wtf is going on

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
They coded a handicap for ps5 players with friends to kill elites faster

its probably a weird bug. game has a bunch ba dum tiss

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

hot take: the Punisher is more effective than the Breaker

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!

JBP posted:

There no leash, you can kite things across the entire map. Rodeo clown is a valid class to play.

It's me. I'm the clown with less than half your kills that's taking out random objectives while constantly running away.

You're welcome.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

hot take: the Punisher is more effective than the Breaker

After Punisher buff and Breaker nerf? Not the hottest of takes.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So, anyone found out what happens when you go out of map bounds?

All I'll say is, throwing your buddy's reinforcement beacon outside the map is a top tier prank.

(It was me, I got pranked (by accident))

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nordick posted:

All I'll say is, throwing your buddy's reinforcement beacon outside the map is a top tier prank.

A timer pops up telling you to return to the operations zone. The cruiser starts bombing you if you don't.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I just got the medals for my crucial role in the liberation of Heeth and Angel's Venture (looking at them on the mission map)

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

Nordick posted:

I've done this and then used my destroyer's attempts to murder me to run past hulks, tanks, and patrols. Even in treason, I must spread democracy.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Is the Recoiless Rifle any good on bots or am I just using it wrong? I've been enjoying it against bugs, but my team has started doing higher level bot missions and it really doesn't seem to do anything to them. Except for deleting dropships. Is there some trick to using it?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

ninjewtsu posted:

Do people actually use the flamethrower? I tried it for a few missions after the 50% damage buff and it just seems awful, the only impressive thing about it was its ability to make me quickly burn to death if I later dodge into the fire hazards it makes everywhere (which seem to do almost no damage to enemies!). The bypass armor thing sounds cool but its damage is still so poo poo that it really just does not matter, you can't just stand there and spray something for 10 seconds without dying. I tried doing more bursty play to get my dodges in while letting the DoT burn enemies to death and I'm not entirely convinced that an enemy catching fire is anything more than visual flair. I just could not find any redeeming qualities in the thing, it always made my life much harder and in the vast majority of scenarios I think I would have killed stuff faster by swapping to a dry primary I'd have to reload before shooting.

It turns out "slowly cook enemies and create hazard areas you can't enter" is the exact opposite of what I want any time I am close enough to an enemy to use the flamethrower. Is there some trick or mindset shift I need to make to make it not a waste of a stratagem slot? I only used it against the bots when it seems like it'd maybe be more useful vs bugs, so there's that for me to consider. but man unless someone's going to tell me that bugs have a +200% damage from fire modifier I'm just not seeing it.

It's awesome when you're cooking a bunch of bugs and a pouncer jumps through the flames at you, setting you on fire and killing you

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Got the liberator penetrator and it sucks compared to the DMR against bots :(

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Yeah it’s pretty disappointing since it takes so many medals to unlock. I like the burst fire, though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

so i'm crazy in thinking the AC isn't so hot against bots, right, 'cause i swear i was just deflecting off everything when I tried it instead of my usual GL just now

also was the laser cannon really buffed, feels like i'm tickling the things with a feather

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 8, 2024

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

so i'm crazy in thinking the AC isn't so hot against bots, right, 'cause i swear i was just deflecting off everything

also was the laser cannon really buffed, feels like i'm tickling the things with a feather

I used AC against bots last night, and was doing great. Single shot to the cab to take out scout striders (most of the time, rarely they will stand back up). Two shots takes out most medium bots, just avoid the shield on the shielded one. Hulks you need to aim at the face. It ain't great vs tanks though, unless you can get around to the back.

But yeah, for taking out the medium bots and scout striders it was fantastic. You can also take out fabricators from long distance if you can get somewhere in the front arc of it (to bank in the shot).

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i like the AC vs bots fine but prefer the railgun. AC vs bugs all the way though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I never noticed that you can actually see your destroyers raining down fire til last night, it's a good touch. If you use the laser it'll even point out which one is yours.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Anyone have any tips for dealing with detector towers? Assaulting them is always a really grueling and reinforcement-costly process. Can you snipe the eye with an RR or anything?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

ZearothK posted:

A timer pops up telling you to return to the operations zone. The cruiser starts bombing you if you don't.

Yes, I know, that's not what I was asking.

I am glad others have had the joy of finding out, too.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Travic posted:

Is the Recoiless Rifle any good on bots or am I just using it wrong? I've been enjoying it against bugs, but my team has started doing higher level bot missions and it really doesn't seem to do anything to them. Except for deleting dropships. Is there some trick to using it?

It's good for drops and quickly shooting hulks in the arm or eye, and finishing off turrets if they survive an eagle or turn too fast to get 3 AC shots into the vent.

It's not really great vs. Tanks because it doesn't do enough damage from the side and front unfortunately.

The AC is very good against bots, it 3 hits devs or 1 shots them in the face. / 3 shots turrets and tanks in the vents, and double taps hulks in the eye.

It deflects off the front of the strider, but if you hit the top third it kills the pilot.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 8, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ciaphas posted:

so i'm crazy in thinking the AC isn't so hot against bots, right, 'cause i swear i was just deflecting off everything when I tried it instead of my usual GL just now

AC owns against bots. I was killing Hulks at level 6 last night in anywhere between 1-3 shots depending on where I hit. It's explosive damage so aim at the head? :shrug:

johnny park posted:

Anyone have any tips for dealing with detector towers? Assaulting them is always a really grueling and reinforcement-costly process. Can you snipe the eye with an RR or anything?

I've been using the laser orbital strike to take those out since you usually just need to get the beacon relatively close to the tower and it will (hopefully) sweep over it eventually and blow it up.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

The AC is great against bots, it has many advantages over the Railgun. It's much faster/more efficient at picking off striders, it kills devastators in 2-3 shots faster than a railgun can kill and importantly it staggers them on each shot so there's fewer issues about rocket devastators getting a volley off or heavy devastators throwing off your aim while charging. It even staggers heavies on direct shield hits unlike the railgun, though bad angles will still make it bounce off. The AC can also demolish tanks, cannon turrets and hulks extremely quickly if their back heat cores are exposed, though it's not very good from other angles. Unloading on dropship passengers before they can drop or hitting spawners from a distance are also nice benefits.

The trade off is that the Railgun gets a backpack slot, can reload on the move, is better for corner peeking and is much better at killing Hulks from the front. The railgun sucks against Tanks/Turrets from any side though. It can kill them, but it's very slow.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

The AC is considerably better vs bots than bugs on account of ricochets being far less likely to happen.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nordick posted:

Yes, I know, that's not what I was asking.

I am glad others have had the joy of finding out, too.

yeah, sorry man, i misread it

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Oh poo poo they weren't kidding about the ICBM launches :kingsley:

I did an ICBM launch last night and saluted while it was going off. 5 steps behind terminal is still within lethal range, gonna try 10 steps next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

LazyMaybe posted:

oh hey, my "major order completed" 45 medals drop just showed up

CASH MONEY DOLLARS! Buying a new suit with all this delicious community gainz