Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

HouseofSuren posted:

If it starts using its weapons (opening bay) stealth is no longer a factor in the equation. Stealth ends once you open the bays, everyone knows this, including them.

The Klingons famously know this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HouseofSuren
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

mlmp08 posted:

How many of those 40 frames are airworthy? A lot of aircraft in the world are sitting around as parts donors that will never fly again.

You know you're in a glass house right. How many Abrams do you think are functional.

Do you think we have thousands of F-16's ready to go?

How many planes do we still have where the entire FAB is already deconstructed. There's less B2's in the official inventory than is stated publicly, and that's a fact. Every time that baby crashes in Guam is another one down out of a few never replaced.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

HouseofSuren posted:

You know you're in a glass house right. How many Abrams do you think are functional.

That's my point. I am aware that hundreds of tanks are sitting dry in the desert, and their primary purpose is to donate parts to the tanks that still operate. I am not under some illusion that you can count every broken American plane or truck or parts bin storage item in the Arizona desert as a temporarily uncrewed vehicle. Some will never move again, others would only move again if you spent significant time and money on them.

Ardennes is acting as if there are still 40 or near-40 A-50s out there (not counting combat losses). Most public accounts are that Russia has single-digit functional A-50s prior to losing two recently.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Most are the Russians are already bringing them out, so probably at least some are. (Also, it is a il-76 with a radar array, the Russians can clearly produce il-76s.)

Otherwise it is poor reporting; they had about 8 A-50Us, the upgraded variant. So not all of those A-50s from the 1980s are still around or usable, but not all of them aren't either, and can be fitted with new arrays.

It isn't that hard to understand.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 07:22 on Mar 8, 2024

HouseofSuren
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
It's the equivalent of a BACN node, and we have few of those as well, in fact we just lost one a few years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefield_Airborne_Communications_Node

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

HouseofSuren posted:

If it starts using its weapons (opening bay) stealth is no longer a factor in the equation. Stealth ends once you open the bays, everyone knows this, including them.

why has no one tackled this problem inventing* conformal external hardpoint bombs and missiles made of radar absorbent material that cost 520 million dollars each?

*getting a giant cost plus contract for the idea they drew on a napkin

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

Most are the Russians are already bringing them out, so probably at least some are. (Also, it is a il-76 with a radar array, the Russians can clearly produce il-76s.)

Most? So 21+?

E: Oh, I see you edited your post to 8. Not sure if before or after the two recent losses, but no major difference.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Most? So 21+?

E: Oh, I see you edited your post to 8.

The U stays for the upgraded variant, I have said this multiple times.

As for how many total A-50s the Russians have that are usable, who knows, but it is probably some. In addition, the Russians with some time, probably could start building more completely new planes alongside the A-100 (eventually).

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

The U stays for the upgraded variant.

Yeah, I understand that. So sounds like you're saying they had 8 A-50Us, lost two recently, and some unknown number of older ones might exist, but it doesn't really matter much.

HouseofSuren
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

Owlbear Camus posted:

why has no one tackled this problem inventing* conformal external hardpoint bombs and missiles made of radar absorbent material that cost 520 million dollars each?

*getting a giant cost plus contract for the idea they drew on a napkin

They kinda tried, and the guy who helped create the B2 sold blueprints on this type of missile to China.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noshir_Gowadia

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, I understand that. So sounds like you're saying they had 8 A-50Us, lost two recently, and some unknown number of older ones might exist, but it doesn't really matter much.

It doesn't matter when the Russians are taking them out of storage, upgrading them, and bringing them back into service to replace losses?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

It doesn't matter when the Russians are taking them out of storage, upgrading them, and bringing them back into service to replace losses?

I'd count those chickens when they hatch. It doesn't terribly matter to guess how many legacy A-50s you think might or might not be airworthy or be useful as parts donors. These kinds of things tend to be very slow programs. I'm sure Russia will eventually deploy an operationally accepted A-100 and it seems likely that they'll try to replace losses from recent combat over time.

HouseofSuren
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
That's orientalism basically, is what you're deferring to.

Like when people say China can't cross the Taiwan straight but Ghenghis got to japan with a lesser army 3 different times from China and Korea after marching across the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_invasions_of_Japan

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

I'd count those chickens when they hatch. It doesn't terribly matter to guess how many legacy A-50s you think might or might not be airworthy or be useful as parts donors. These kinds of things tend to be very slow programs. I'm sure Russia will eventually deploy an operationally accepted A-100 and it seems likely that they'll try to replace losses from recent combat over time.

Supposedly, they added one (A-50U) in September 2023, and another more recently. Probably not all the older A-50s are usable, but probably enough to satisfy their losses.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, the new anti-radiation missiles can still track the target when it turns its radar off and can strike moving targets. The probability of hit will never reach 1, but it goes a long way to be able to still precisely hit a target when it turns the radar off, especially on a very fast, and very long range missile. One of the challenges of testing AARGM-ER is that most US test ranges aren't big enough to handle its full range of flight. https://www.dote.osd.mil/Portals/97/pub/reports/FY2022/navy/2022aargm-er.pdf?ver=IxurX-EnMo2WFX6Ea_N0Lw%3D%3D

And (US-only for now) HIMARS upping their range to 150km and having precision strike munitions to 500-1,000km goes a long way toward the ground component assisting the air component with SEAD/DEAD.

If anti radiation missiles are so good why didn't they fire them at Chernobyl? Makes you think.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

HouseofSuren posted:

That plane has no stealth if the bombs are equipped outside the bays. Everything has to be inside, and as soon as the weapons bay opens every radar will know that object is an F-35 and not some random bird, even if it closes the bays back.

Yep. Not enough people played the f-19 stealth fighter Sim game on MS-DOS.

Open weapons bay? Great now your signature is huge and you're hosed.

Video games is the only way to teach physics now I guess.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

DancingShade posted:

If anti radiation missiles are so good why didn't they fire them at Chernobyl? Makes you think.

fhey actually needed radiation missiles, for the radiation

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

Yep. Not enough people played the f-19 stealth fighter Sim game on MS-DOS.

Open weapons bay? Great now your signature is huge and you're hosed.

Video games is the only way to teach physics now I guess.

this isn't actually how it worked in the game. You had in the center console, with the plane's stealth signature being a bar that comes from the bottom-up, and various radar systems pinging you from the top-down

opening your weapons bays, leaving your landing gear deployed, climbing to a high altitude, etc, would increase the size of your stealth bar from the bottom, making it easier for pings coming from the top of display to intersect with it, representing detection

but you could, for example, fly really really low to minimize your signature, so that even with the weapons bays open, radars still won't detect you. this was especially useful for camera runs

alternatively, you could learn the radar return interval so that you time your open-weapons-bay > launch ordnance > close-weapons-bay cycle in-between sweeps

when carrying ordnance that had to have a minimum altitude before release, you pretty much had to toss-bomb: fly low on the ingress, climb just before the release point, open the bay doors, release, and then dive, and hope you did it quickly enough to avoid detection

but opening the bay did not immediately reveal yourself

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

this isn't actually how it worked in the game. You had in the center console, with the plane's stealth signature being a bar that comes from the bottom-up, and various radar systems pinging you from the top-down

opening your weapons bays, leaving your landing gear deployed, climbing to a high altitude, etc, would increase the size of your stealth bar from the bottom, making it easier for pings coming from the top of display to intersect with it, representing detection

but you could, for example, fly really really low to minimize your signature, so that even with the weapons bays open, radars still won't detect you. this was especially useful for camera runs

alternatively, you could learn the radar return interval so that you time your open-weapons-bay > launch ordnance > close-weapons-bay cycle in-between sweeps

when carrying ordnance that had to have a minimum altitude before release, you pretty much had to toss-bomb: fly low on the ingress, climb just before the release point, open the bay doors, release, and then dive, and hope you did it quickly enough to avoid detection

but opening the bay did not immediately reveal yourself

Been a long time since I played F-19. I'll take everything you said at face value as someone who has probably played it a lot more recently than me, who I think was on a 286 or something at the time.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

mlmp08 posted:

The Klingons famously know this.

CRY HAVOC AND LET SLIP THE DOGS OF WAR

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

When ponies show signs of agitation, it indicates that they are nervous about their master's increasingly visible shortage of carrots and sugar cubes.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
THIS is why America doesn’t have healthcare???

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Kazzah posted:

THIS is why America doesn’t have healthcare???

They spent all their money training mlmp in sophistry.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Reference the bold, I'd argue the US ground forces are not banking on the latter at all. The army and marines, starting in 2015-ish, started up all kinds of programs to augment their own organic long-range fires and artillery capability precisely because of a lack of faith that the USAF could be their on call all the time. As soon as the army saw the kinds of numbers and sortie rates expected of the F-35s combined with seeing modernizaed anti-air weapons from major competitors, they decided they required their own ability to launch high capability munitions (like precision strike missile) in support of their own troops, plus a lot of GMLRS to take the place of missions that would be too dangerous to try with A-10s or F-16s.

Long range precision fires and upgraded air defense capability became two of the big six modernization efforts in 2017/18 or so for the army. That's telling.

Not trying to be snarky here at all but a genuine question, where are all these Actual Supplements/Replacements For Air Power or whatever that the army and marines are fielding? Like, actually in production and in service, and in what numbers? Because like, as this thread has clearly demonstrated, saying you are going to Do A Thing does not remotely translate into Getting That Thing Done when it comes to the American MIC.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

GoLambo posted:

Not trying to be snarky here at all but a genuine question, where are all these Actual Supplements/Replacements For Air Power or whatever that the army and marines are fielding? Like, actually in production and in service, and in what numbers? Because like, as this thread has clearly demonstrated, saying you are going to Do A Thing does not remotely translate into Getting That Thing Done when it comes to the American MIC.

They were all retired and scrapped... because they were replaced by... AirPower 🔄

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

GoLambo posted:

Why would you need anything else but the F-35?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
The John Holmes tank

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

And marketing courses for Lockmart

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

KomradeX posted:

And marketing courses for West Point

FTFY

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

mlmp trained themselves in sophistry, to show that they could train others in sophistry if they wanted to.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

GoLambo posted:

Not trying to be snarky here at all but a genuine question, where are all these Actual Supplements/Replacements For Air Power or whatever that the army and marines are fielding?

On the fires side, the army has returned to divisional fires, increases the size of many of the rocket artillery battallions by ~50% (so similar number battalions, but significantly more launchers and people per battery and bn supporting divisions), increased GMLRS production numbers, upgrading existing MLRS and HIMARS, and is fielding the precision strike missile program, which gives army units organic capability to fire out to 500+ kilometers. Separately, GMLRS-ER extends GMLRS from about a 70km+ range to 150km+

A lot of it isn’t super obvious because it’s not a new type of vehicle or whole new formation type and has been ongoing for several years as divarty was fielded new fire units.

The army’s cannon replacement plan is less clear. Lots of development on the ammo front (both capability and capacity), but not clear what their plan is for the future of tube artillery.

Frosted Flakes is excited about very large unguided tube artillery of the Cold War, but I don’t think the US is eager to go back to big 203+ mm guns for a variety of reasons.

On the more boring training end, there is no assumption of air superiority. So the focus has been partially on air defense modernization but also just getting back to training basics of doctrinal passive air and missile defense measures. The doctrine never went away, but it wasn’t emphasized for deployments to areas with little or no air threat.

Other stuff is more minor. Attack helicopters are being fielded rounds with much longer range of the hellfire now.

In total, it’s a lot of small org, equipment, and training change to overall allow the land component more ability to provide fires for itself and greater expectation of having to survive without air superiority.

Marines’ focus is more on being able to disperse and fire long range weaponry (anti-ship missiles, cruise missiles, rocket/missile artillery), and it’s focused on trying to stay relevant in the face if China’s significant and inpressive capabilities and modernization.

Maybe none of it is a good idea, but it’s all a decidedly different approach from assuming jets will be there all the. It’s just not flashy the way unmanned aircraft or jets are.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

rip
UK military’s 10-year spending plan isn’t affordable, committee finds

www.defensenews.com - Fri, 08 Mar 2024 posted:

LONDON — A powerful U.K. parliamentary committee has reported what it says is the “largest affordability gap” since 2012 between the Defence Ministry’s budget and equipment requirements.

The Public Accounts Committee’s review, released March 8, comes two days after the government opted not to allocate extra funding for the military in its 2024 budget.

The deficit for the 10-year equipment plan, which the ministry published late last year and begins in 2023, will amount to £16.9 billion (U.S. $21.5 billion), the committee found. However, that could grow by a further £12 billion if the individual armed services each took the same approach to stating their equipment requirement costs, the committee noted.

The committee reviews the 10-year defense equipment plan annually as part of its role in overseeing how the government spends taxpayers’ money. The committee has consistently cast doubt on the affordability of the ministry’s equipment plans, but the latest report is especially critical.

The 10-year plan, based on financial data from March 31, 2023, saw the ministry allocate an equipment budget of £288.6 billion over the following decade to 2033 — a £46.3 billion rise on the figures presented from 2022.

“However, forecast costs have increased by £65.7 to £305.5 billion, resulting in a £16.9 billion deficit between the MoD’s capability requirements and the available budget,” the committee reported.
###### RELATED

That deficit could grow to £29 billion were the separate armed services to be consistent in the method they use to price their equipment requirements, the committee noted. For example, the inquiry found the Royal Navy includes the costs of all capabilities the government expects the service to deliver, whereas the Army only includes those capabilities it can afford.

Committee figures show this can have a significant impact on forecast costs. For instance, the Royal Navy’s decision to change its previous policy of only including costs it can afford, to predicted costs for capabilities the ministry expects it to deliver, resulted in a deficit of £15.3 billion in the latest plan, compared with a surplus of £700 million in the 2023 equipment plan.
## The primary problem

The main cause of the cost increases reported by the committee is the ministry’s decision to fully fund Britain’s defense nuclear enterprise, according to the report.

The ministry has agreed to a minimum 10-year budget with the Treasury at a price tag of £109.8 billion for nuclear activities over the period.

The principal cost for the nuclear program is the construction of four Dreadnought-class nuclear missile submarines made by BAE Systems. They are to enter service in the coming decade. However, a new warhead program and other nuclear-related initiatives together dwarf spending on individual conventional weapons procurement.

Maintaining the nuclear deterrent is one of the ministry’s top defense priorities. If addition funds are needed for the nuclear program, accounts for conventional equipment will be further squeezed, the report noted.

Costs at the Defence Nuclear Organisation, which is responsible for the U.K.’s nuclear deterrent — have increased by £38.2 billion since the government released last year’s plan, the committee said.
## ‘Unpleasant, short-term decisions’

Inflation and the foreign exchange rate have also taken their toll on Britain’s budget. The ministry estimates inflation will add almost £11 billion to its costs over the 10-year period.

Despite the ailing condition of the Defence Ministry’s finances, the report said, the department has put off making major decisions about canceling programs it cannot afford.

“Instead, it has optimistically assumed that the plan would be affordable if the government fulfilled its long-term aspiration to spend 2.5% of GDP [gross domestic product] on defense each year, despite there being no guarantee on whether this will happen,” the report noted.

Everything that does not fall under the nuclear budget will experience severe pressure, said Malcolm Chalmers, the deputy director general at the Royal United Services Institute think tank in London.

“The government is going to have to make some unpleasant, short-term decisions between different conventional equipment capabilities at a time when the Ukraine war is shining the spotlight on neglected capabilities in which our armed forces clearly need to invest more,” he said.

“After the full-scale invasion of Ukraine, many European countries are increasing their defense budgets rapidly, including Germany, the Scandinavian countries, the exposed eastern countries and quite a number of others as well. The U.K. government seems to have decided, given the wider fiscal squeeze and the priority being given to tax cuts, that there will be no more money for defense in this budget.” he added.

Indeed, the Defence Ministry is becoming “increasingly reliant” on allies to protect British interests, the committee said, “which carries the risk that such support might not always be available.”

Last year, the ministry told the National Audit Office, the government’s financial watchdog, that it was not planning to cancel programs in the short term, as that would limit the choices available to decision-makers at the next governmentwide spending review‚ which is likely this year.

Chancellor of the Exchequer Jeremy Hunt has been under pressure to increase funds to rebuild Britain’s depleted military amid Russia’s ongoing invasion of Ukraine. He has reiterated the Conservative government’s ambition to increase overall defense spending from the current level of 2.1% of GDP to 2.5% during his March 6 budget speech‚ but has not provided a concrete timeline, only saying it would happen when economic conditions allow it so.

The Labour Party has pledged to reform defense, but not unveiled specific spending commitments.

A general election is expected by the end of the year, with the Labour Party currently ahead in the polls.

Andrew Chuter is the United Kingdom correspondent for Defense News.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
BREAKING: Pentagon report finds no evidence of alien visits, hidden spacecraft

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Perfect, send that to games-workshop and tell them to make a plastic model of that, it's time to retire the poo poo from 2003.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

The army’s cannon replacement plan is less clear.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ted Wassanasong posted:

ship belt buckles are a thing, and are specifically allowed in uniform, that’s a power ranger color pattern, but probably just slapped on the normal style.

Computer.... enhance
Enhance
Enhance

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Lostconfused posted:

Perfect, send that to games-workshop and tell them to make a plastic model of that, it's time to retire the poo poo from 2003.
way ahead of you

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Lostconfused posted:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

like I said

Lostconfused posted:

I guess large flat surfaces are hard, but at least this part won't be visible on a finished model.

Lostconfused posted:

The difference of seven years between sprues

and yes it does look much better without the ridiculous shield on the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Lostconfused posted:

like I said

and yes it does look much better without the ridiculous shield on the front.

But think of the TBI for the poor guardsmen!