Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So has Carrol received any money that has fundamentally changed her life already? Or still waiting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Xiahou Dun posted:

I never got the appeal of the various tell-all books that came out of his White House.

But if we still have enough of a society in a couple years, I would love to read a book written by some random Mar-a-Lago staff about what the gently caress it was like in there 2020 on.

No need to wait! Carl Hiaason's got you covered!

https://carlhiaasen.com/books/squeeze-me/

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Murgos posted:

Though Musk flying to Trump has got me concerned, the begger doesn’t summon the banker.

Normally I'd agree, but you have to factor in that Musk is very, very stupid.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Normally I'd agree, but you have to factor in that Musk is very, very stupid.

But so is Trump. If they joined forces maybe they would be...smart?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Vahakyla posted:

So has Carrol received any money that has fundamentally changed her life already? Or still waiting?

It's being appealed, so the money is being held by NY State until the appeals all fail. Presumably she'll be getting around $90 million this year/next year depending on how long Donny can stall.

Do you have to pay taxes on lawsuit payments?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Fuschia tude posted:

She doesn't. The state of NY gets it from him, and then she gets it from the court. The $5.5m from her last suit is already received from Trump and being held in escrow by the court pending the outcome of his appeal.

That is because he put down that money as bond. If he doesn't do that with other assets (say, because he can't) the she does actually need to enforce her claims which is time consuming.

The good news is the trump org is managed by the state, so she will have an easier time than say, the Sandy hook families have been having against Jones.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Charlz Guybon posted:

So, how does Carrol get money from him?

I understand how the state of NY could just seize his property and stuff, but how does a private citizen go about it?

https://www.nycourts.gov/CourtHelp/AfterCourt/collectionBasics.shtml

You use your judgment to extract information about the debtors property, issue notices freezing the property you want to seize, and pay a fee to :cop: to borrow the states ability to seize poo poo for an afternoon. Real estate is specifically a lien, so it would put his property in foreclosure if he cant stump up them money another way.

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 8, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Caros posted:

The good news is the trump org is managed by the state, so she will have an easier time than say, the Sandy hook families have been having against Jones.

Well good news about that, in order to try and avoid paying he declared bankruptcy, and then pulled the same contempt of court poo poo with the bankruptcy court so they put his companies into the hands of the federal government to sort things out.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Yeah, there's a lot of tools in creditors' hands to get their owed money. I joined a debt collection firm right out of lawschool in the middle of the great recession, because that was all that was hiring. Don't recommend it. Extraordinarily soul-sucking stuff. Lasted only a few months before I quit. I'm sure the debt collection process is somewhat different from the small fries (where I worked) versus big boys like Trump. But, you can drag the debtor into a deposition or other informational session to get their account info. Or, as will often be the case, you can do your own research into their assets if they are being uncooperative and refusing to provide the needed info. You (usually) can't force sales of real property, but liens and such make them unalienable unless cleared, and would prevent Trump from accessing them to generate any liquidity which would cripple him and force him to come to the table. They should even be able to place liens against his non-NY property to enforce a NY judgement if the assets there aren't sufficient, though they probably can't force a sale like they can under NY law unless the local state allows that.

Like, you can forclose on stuff, but it's rarely worth it, especially on properties that are generating value that would be destroyed by their sale (like Trump branded stuff). So it's probably not something you'd do unless you really can't force him to pony up to clear his titles.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 8, 2024

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Trump wins in November but gets sizable garnishments on his paycheck

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
When Carroll starts seizing Trump property, how does she know she has grabbed enough stuff? I know there was a whole trial about mis-evaluations but obviously a debt collector wouldn't listen to the evaluations of things from the debter.

To me it seems like she would claim valuation from other records, like tax filings... Which Trump massively undervalued, right?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Donkringel posted:

When Carroll starts seizing Trump property, how does she know she has grabbed enough stuff? I know there was a whole trial about mis-evaluations but obviously a debt collector wouldn't listen to the evaluations of things from the debter.

To me it seems like she would claim valuation from other records, like tax filings... Which Trump massively undervalued, right?

I think in this particular case that New York State and the Special Monitor are going to run the show. They'll disburse what they can pin down, into escrow that will then pay her out on some schedule.

elhondo
Sep 20, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Donkringel posted:

I'm pretty sure they force a sale, and give back whatever is over the penalty. They can't actually assume property, unless it's separtely negotiated.

What I don't get, is that if E Jean is going after Trump personally, and James is going after Trump org, does E Jean have to move really fast to get the assets in the Org's name? That seems like a nightmare.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Gyges posted:

Do you have to pay taxes on lawsuit payments?
It depends on how the damages are structured. Compensatory damages are not generally taxed as income because they represent you being made whole for a loss suffered-you lost $1,000,000 damage in value to your damaged house or your broken leg or your shattered mental state, so the million dollars of compensatory damages basically let you break even-you aren't gaining money. Punitive damages are meant to deter the other party from doing this bad thing again and they are generally taxed as income. I have no idea how all that is structured in the Carroll case, I'm going to guess alot of it (and I think the most recent ~$85mil especially) is punitive, while a smaller portion will be compensatory.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Trump has now paid the bond for the $92mn https://bsky.app/profile/joshuajfriedman.com/post/3kn6zxln6dd2j

https://bsky.app/profile/joshuajfriedman.com/post/3kn72soq7mj2w

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

He has secured the bond but has not paid into it. I wonder how long the appeals process will take.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Right yeah, secured. The rumour now swirling is that Musk technically didn't donate to Trump he just offered to provide the surety for the bond.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Apparently this Federal Insurance Company (which has an address just a ways down the road from Trump's Bedminster NJ hotel) is a subsidiary of Chubb, which is a very big and high profile insurance company, I've got several business and nonprofit clients that have insurance policies through Chubb. I'm a bit surprised that they're willing to deal with the potential reputational hit of having their name associated with Trump now, Trump-style business shenanigans and financial crimes are generally not the kind of thing you want people to think about when they think "insurance company"

Caros
May 14, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Right yeah, secured. The rumour now swirling is that Musk technically didn't donate to Trump he just offered to provide the surety for the bond.

It looks like it was put up by 'the Chubb group'. Of note their CEO was appointed to the Advisory Committee on Trade so he is probably either a good friend or feels he lowest trump.

It also speaks to him being cash poor if he needs a bond here in the first place.

elhondo
Sep 20, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I would have lost money betting against someone backing the bond. It does seem like a sure way to lose money, unless you are also planning on putting up the money for the 500M+ bond (466M +10%). That left unsecured would allow NY to start collection and gut the trump org before the 90M can be repaid to the bond guarantor.

But this is great news for E Jean. Given the lattitude granted to Habba, it does seem like an appeal is a long shot, and it might even be quickly decided. I haven't read any strong arguments when it comes to grounds for appeal (by any source that isn't obviously on the trump side).

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
Is this going to be like one of those 'loans' that Justice Thomas got from a rich friend that was just conveniently 'forgiven' later?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gyrotica posted:

Is this going to be like one of those 'loans' that Justice Thomas got from a rich friend that was just conveniently 'forgiven' later?

Well since Chubb has many billions in capital, they could afford to, but they won't. It would make them look bad and they have a good reputation.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

elhondo posted:

I would have lost money betting against someone backing the bond. It does seem like a sure way to lose money, unless you are also planning on putting up the money for the 500M+ bond (466M +10%). That left unsecured would allow NY to start collection and gut the trump org before the 90M can be repaid to the bond guarantor.

But this is great news for E Jean. Given the lattitude granted to Habba, it does seem like an appeal is a long shot, and it might even be quickly decided. I haven't read any strong arguments when it comes to grounds for appeal (by any source that isn't obviously on the trump side).

I don't think we have any evidence that it's unsecured on Chubb's side. But presumably they gave him terms to allow him to slowly liquidate an asset on his own timeline, instead of E Jean grabbing Trump Tower and liquidating it. But it's great for her that she'll get the cash immediately upon winning.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
living paycheck to paycheck while half a billy gets washed around and around to re-re-defend a convicted rapist who's appealing on the grounds of "nnnooooooo!!"

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Devor posted:

I don't think we have any evidence that it's unsecured on Chubb's side. But presumably they gave him terms to allow him to slowly liquidate an asset on his own timeline, instead of E Jean grabbing Trump Tower and liquidating it. But it's great for her that she'll get the cash immediately upon winning.

Yeah, Chubb is going to get their money but they can take their time about it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Devor posted:

Countdown to Judge Jones calling up Chubb to let them know that Trumps assets that he used to secure the loan are already at 120% leverage in 3, 2, 1...

LOL, who am I kidding. They don't care it all handshakes and 'ol boys club deals at that level.

elhondo
Sep 20, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Devor posted:

Ah, good point, thanks.

Although now I'm picturing being secured by 300,000 pairs of not-yet-made, bad sneakers.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Murgos posted:

Countdown to Judge Jones calling up Chubb to let them know that Trumps assets that he used to secure the loan are already at 120% leverage in 3, 2, 1...

LOL, who am I kidding. They don't care it all handshakes and 'ol boys club deals at that level.

Why are you posting multiple layers of conflicting delusional fantasy

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/big_cases/status/1766172335412023309

Chudge gonna chudge, I guess. It is absolutely and abundantly clear that what the Presidential Records Act states is exactly the opposite of what Trump claims it means, and in fact was passed in the wake of Nixon trying to run off with official records post-presidency, so that future ex-presidents could not do that.

That Cannon is even going to grant this hearing is insane.

gregday fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 8, 2024

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
great he's paid the appeal, but have they articulated what he's appealing based on yet? so far it's "so much it can't be mentioned"

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

InsertPotPun posted:

great he's paid the appeal, but have they articulated what he's appealing based on yet? so far it's "so much it can't be mentioned"

I believe the citations are to the case gently caress You vs. Waaaaaaaah Not Fair.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

InsertPotPun posted:

For the Carroll trial it's "judge did not let Trump say everything he wanted to say" and other "unfair biases"

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
So Trump has, once again, wriggled out of yet another jam. All he now needs is to wriggled out of the 450m one and it's smooth sailing until the election.

I really don't know why anyone's surprised at this point.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

So Trump has, once again, wriggled out of yet another jam. All he now needs is to wriggled out of the 450m one and it's smooth sailing until the election.

I really don't know why anyone's surprised at this point.

Don't depend on the courts from saving the US from another Trump Presidency.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Trump hasn't wriggled out from anything yet. I know it's a meme but he's very much more likely to pay out than not.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Why are you posting multiple layers of conflicting delusional fantasy

If I could post better I would. This is what you get on a friday afternoon while I spin around in my office chair.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Fart Amplifier posted:

Don't depend on the courts from saving the US from another Trump Presidency.

Well, yeah, obviously. The courts are broken and won't be repaired in MY lifetime, at least.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

CHUBB is a large underwriter / insurer. He might have some sort of custom liability policy if they paid.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

C. Everett Koop posted:

So Trump has, once again, wriggled out of yet another jam.

I suggest that "needed zero hour outside help for surety backing of a ~100m bond while a ~500m bond is imminently closing in" is a pretty bad outside indicator of his condition. He's cash poor.

Especially considering that the ~100m bond we're talking about is virtually impossible to expect an overturn on because of Habba's legal management of the related case; Jean Carroll gets that money.

so what we just witnessed is that a bond granter has assured Jean Carroll's payout in exchange for being able to take their pick out of whatever Trump has offered to effectively underwrite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kavros posted:

so what we just witnessed is that a bond granter has assured Jean Carroll's payout in exchange for being able to take their pick out of whatever Trump has offered to effectively underwrite.

Chubb, meanwhile, may have just taken a bath. I doubt there will be properties sold, somehow Trump will have somebody else cover his rear end. As always.