Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

obviously dragon ball is going to be in most folk's minds but for me it's truly the death of the guy who worked on dragon quest. not sure what it'll mean for the design on that series, it'll never be the same

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

A Buttery Pastry posted:

this is only a problem if you insist that things have to be a lovely desert though.

It depends a lot on the type of building, but yeah, a lot of buildings would crumble way before the maximum expected life of the more durable ones. (There's also a difference between "completely unsafe for people" and "crumbled to the point that the building is not identifiable as a building".)

You're missing the point that people think the environments suck rear end, and that the East Coast bleakness is actually just the developers lazily applying the desert theme of the earlier games and applying an East Coast filter.

how is there a desert theme in the later games? It takes place in the fall.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

he invented Goku. a life well lived.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tankbuster posted:

how is there a desert theme in the later games? It takes place in the fall.
fallout 3 is just dirt plus barren trees. i'll give you that 4 is pushing away from the desert theme, but not to point that i'm seeing fall. like, where are all the leaves?

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Buck Wildman posted:

obviously dragon ball is going to be in most folk's minds but for me it's truly the death of the guy who worked on dragon quest. not sure what it'll mean for the design on that series, it'll never be the same

Same here. His designs are so integral to the series, It will probably be the visual equivalent of this from now on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxfbLXeCa5Y

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i was just thinking this morning, has there ever been a greater cultural wasteland in the united states than the early bush years?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Al! posted:

i was just thinking this morning, has there ever been a greater cultural wasteland in the united states than the early bush years?

I think that in response to a lot of the censorship battles of the 80s and 90s, there was a genre spanning multiple cultural avenues that basically consisted of doing the most crass, vulgar, unacceptable thing that you could just because you could and it took us pushing that envelope to it's edge to accept that maybe the reason that we don't joke around about certain topics isn't that they are taboo or sacred cows but that there's just not that much humor to be mined from the subject of "dead babies".

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah early 2000s were gross but it was a direct reaction to the bubblegum sterility of the 90s i guess

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Not doing the time skip and jamming the last half the books plot together ruined Dune2 for me and I’ve been in a depressed funk ever since seeing it. The characters motivations are far less believable in the time frame shown.

ya know whatever man

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I think that in response to a lot of the censorship battles of the 80s and 90s, there was a genre spanning multiple cultural avenues that basically consisted of doing the most crass, vulgar, unacceptable thing that you could just because you could and it took us pushing that envelope to it's edge to accept that maybe the reason that we don't joke around about certain topics isn't that they are taboo or sacred cows but that there's just not that much humor to be mined from the subject of "dead babies".

Imagine going to art school for 4 years where one of the rules is that you can't ever use the color blue, in anything. Once you get out the first couple things you're going to paint will be entirely blue until you get sick of it and it becomes just another tool

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Scarabrae posted:

Not doing the time skip and jamming the last half the books plot together ruined Dune2 for me and I’ve been in a depressed funk ever since seeing it. The characters motivations are far less believable in the time frame shown.

ya know whatever man

lol just don't be a book reader

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Rap/R&B from the 2000s was still pretty decent (which I think is why rappers/R&B singers from the 2000s are doing all the Super Bowl halftime shows these days; they gotta appease the middle-aged millennial viewers and Coldplay isn't gonna cut it) but music was pretty bleak for a little while which is why I got into boomer music as a teen

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

it was pushing the envelope, for 12 year olds and boomers i guess but people who were adults in like 2002 could see that marylin manson and numetal were cringe right

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Al! posted:

it was pushing the envelope, for 12 year olds and boomers i guess but people who were adults in like 2002 could see that marylin manson and numetal were cringe right

i cannot tell you that i wasn't an adult in 2002 I was 11 years old

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

kanye didn't even get going 'til 2004 and outkast was on top of the world in the early 2000s so it's a different world compared to rock music

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Al! posted:

The thing is that adults always think things kids are into are cringe and it's impossible to judge whether they were correct until the cultural moment passes

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Al! posted:

marilyn manson was 90s bud. he was washed up before the millenium turned

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

loquacius posted:

The thing is that adults always think things kids are into are cringe and it's impossible to judge whether they were correct until the cultural moment passes

yeah pretty much, i remember very vividly the amount of ire directed at Pokemon when it first became popular and now we've got Stephen A. Smith is talking about which of the starting pokemon he'd pick.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

i say swears online posted:

kanye didn't even get going 'til 2004 and outkast was on top of the world in the early 2000s so it's a different world compared to rock music

A Kanye halftime show in the 2020s would be pretty hilarious

I don't know whether Outkast are on speaking terms these days though

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

i say swears online posted:

yeah early 2000s were gross but it was a direct reaction to the bubblegum sterility of the 90s i guess

idk that that's the lens i see it through. the 90s were a reaction to the slick overproduction of the 80s, stripping things down to "grunge", then slowly ramping back up to 80s level of slickness but trying really really hard to avoid being overtly flamboyant, which was what made the 80s aesthetic work

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Andrew WK was a Big Album for me in college. poo poo was bad.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
here are the lyrics to Cyndi Lauper's "She Bop", a song that was determined to be one of the "Filthy Fifteen" by the Parents Music Resource Center in 1985:

quote:

Well, I see 'em every night in tight blue jeans
In the pages of a Blueboy magazine
Hey, hey, I've been thinking of a new sensation
I'm picking up good vibrations
Oop, she bop, she bop

Do I wanna go out with a lion's roar?
Yeah, I wanna go south and get me some more
Hey, they say that a stitch in time saves nine
They say I better stop or I'll go blind
Oop, she bop, she bop

She bop, he bop, we bop
I bop, you bop, they bop
Be bop, be bop, a lu bop
(I hope he will understand)

She bop, he bop, we bop
I bop, you bop, they bop
Be bop, be bop, a lu she bop
Oh, she do, she bop

Hey, hey they say I better get a chaperone
Because I can't stop messin' with the danger zone
Hey, hey I won't worry, and I won't fret
Ain't no law against it yet
Oop, she bop, she bop

She bop, he bop, we bop
I bop, you bop, they bop
Be bop, be bop, a lu bop
(I hope he will understand)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

here are the lyrics to Cyndi Lauper's "She Bop", a song that was determined to be one of the "Filthy Fifteen" by the Parents Music Resource Center in 1985:

very very concerned at the prospect of music encouraging masturbation :ohdear:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

fleet foxes halftime show

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Culture always moves in waves of "This sucks" -> "Actually it's cool" -> "Actually it sucks tho." -> "But actually, when you think about it, it's kind of cool."

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Indie rock halftime show

Get the Decemberists up there playing mandolin or whatever

Have Bright Eyes do an all-acoustic set with one spotlight on him and that's it

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Plank Walker posted:

idk that that's the lens i see it through. the 90s were a reaction to the slick overproduction of the 80s, stripping things down to "grunge", then slowly ramping back up to 80s level of slickness but trying really really hard to avoid being overtly flamboyant, which was what made the 80s aesthetic work

yeah same. idk which 90s people were living through that they're describing this way. maybe they were literal children tho? I guess Barney was bullshit if you were 8

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Andrew WK was a Big Album for me in college. poo poo was bad.

Andrew WK / Rob Zombie collab halftime show would actually own

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Culture always moves in waves of "This sucks" -> "Actually it's cool" -> "Actually it sucks tho." -> "But actually, when you think about it, it's kind of cool."

afaik no subsequent generation has wanted to touch nu metal except with scattered bands that suck in the same way, like Ghost

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

aw frig aw dang it posted:

yeah same. idk which 90s people were living through that they're describing this way. maybe they were literal children tho? I guess Barney was bullshit if you were 8

yes i was a literal child during the 90s and therefore consuming the most mainstream entertainment possible

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Al! posted:

afaik no subsequent generation has wanted to touch nu metal except with scattered bands that suck in the same way, like Ghost

Muse was cringe but was actually pretty good

norman rockwell town meeting meme

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

yes i was a literal child during the 90s and therefore consuming the most mainstream entertainment possible

skill issue then. get older

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

loquacius posted:

Indie rock halftime show

Get the Decemberists up there playing mandolin or whatever

Have Bright Eyes do an all-acoustic set with one spotlight on him and that's it

neutral milk hotel singing about his sexual fantasies about anne frank to a stunned stadium of jets fans

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Al! posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/24/style/nu-metal-gen-z.html/

get ready

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

aw frig aw dang it posted:

skill issue then. get older

bald rear end old rear end bitch hair growing out of your ears

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Al! posted:

idk man, videogames were doing great. Warcraft 3 came out during the bush era.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

U2 was just fleet foxes for the 80s

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

America could use another 9/11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Al! posted: