Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This made me look up my beloved Sky Haven and lol the "hey we're working on this again!!" thing didn't seem to last long :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The developer of Gear City is working on a Aerobiz clone. Give it 15, 20 years and I bet you'll be able to play it.

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!

Boat Stuck posted:

Has anyone ever made a modern version of Aerobiz Supersonic, where you run an airline in terms of setting routes, building hubs, acquiring slots, buying fleets, etc.? Airline Tycoon exists but that's more of a game where you manage individual aircraft.

The nearest thing to this "done properly" vs as a SNES-scale game, out of interest, is not something you can buy outright but actually a browser game of all things: AirlineSim

Technically speaking it's excellent, vastly more high-fidelity than anything I've ever seen on the desktop (iirc their original plan was to sell it to Lufthansa as a planning tool which didn't work out), but sloooooow paced - it runs in real-time so the older servers have been going for a decade at this point, if you're starting from a position of not knowing anything about it it'll probably take you months to get up to speed and has been more or less unchanged for several years through a couple of different failed attempts to modernize it.

I have drifted in and out of giving them money over the years and had some really stupidly large airlines, kind of gets to the point of being a job past a certain scale though so it's hard to recommend unless you have a very particular type of brainworms.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pretty rad dad pad posted:

The nearest thing to this "done properly" vs as a SNES-scale game, out of interest, is not something you can buy outright but actually a browser game of all things: AirlineSim

Technically speaking it's excellent, vastly more high-fidelity than anything I've ever seen on the desktop (iirc their original plan was to sell it to Lufthansa as a planning tool which didn't work out), but sloooooow paced - it runs in real-time so the older servers have been going for a decade at this point, if you're starting from a position of not knowing anything about it it'll probably take you months to get up to speed and has been more or less unchanged for several years through a couple of different failed attempts to modernize it.

I have drifted in and out of giving them money over the years and had some really stupidly large airlines, kind of gets to the point of being a job past a certain scale though so it's hard to recommend unless you have a very particular type of brainworms.

The biggest problem for me is that you basically get one airport as a hub, and you can rent slots everywhere else as spokes. You basically pick a major airport like LAX, or reach a point early where you just plateau, because there are only so many airports you can profitably run directly to from Relatively Medium Sized City Intl.

I think you get to pick a second hub, but it has to be located in the same country. So, again, if you want to do something interesting and NOT pick one of the top 10 busiest airports, I hope the country you're in has more than one airport of any significance.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Dungeon Keeper Gold released on Steam today, $2

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1996630/Dungeon_Keeper_Gold/

and Dungeon Keeper 2

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2616460/Dungeon_Keeper_2/

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Boat Stuck posted:

Has anyone ever made a modern version of Aerobiz Supersonic, where you run an airline in terms of setting routes, building hubs, acquiring slots, buying fleets, etc.? Airline Tycoon exists but that's more of a game where you manage individual aircraft.

Airline Manager is kinda like this (airlinemanager.com). It's an idle game, but still pretty good.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Is DK Gold the DOS or Windows version? (GOG installs the DOS version and runs it in DOSbox, which has quite bad performance.)

Also remember that for DK1, there is the KeeperFX open source remake now, and it runs better and fixes things, but also does make a couple things play differently.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Someone made a tool to import OpenStreetMap data into Transport Fever 2. Needs a prepared OSM overlay map and heightmap but I'm still impressed how good the map data translates into the game assets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_L-CaPWk1Y

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

nielsm posted:

Is DK Gold the DOS or Windows version? (GOG installs the DOS version and runs it in DOSbox, which has quite bad performance.)

Also remember that for DK1, there is the KeeperFX open source remake now, and it runs better and fixes things, but also does make a couple things play differently.

These are both running in DOSbox from what I have read, please don't take that as a straight recommendation, read the reviews and other info before buying (although they are both on sale for $2 each)

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Hollywood Animal is the upcoming game from the developers of This is the Police. Looks a lot more mechanically engaging than The Movies was, though without the visuals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucosgvADlsY

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

FPyat posted:

Hollywood Animal is the upcoming game from the developers of This is the Police. Looks a lot more mechanically engaging than The Movies was, though without the visuals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucosgvADlsY

:stare: That trailer goes places.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Arbite posted:

:stare: That trailer goes places.

I don't know what drugs they were on when they made that. But I want some!

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I mean, they seem to have mechanics for acquiring said drugs, so go hog wild

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I was prepared for most of it after what people here said but I was not prepared for the Ku Klux Klan

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The KKKs movie involvement is well known. I'm wondering what precedent there is for a studio kidnapping a retired actor and forcing them to sign a contract.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I mean yeah, I just don't think people were expecting a management game to actually acknowledge that.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If you're checking out Sim City 3000 on Steam there's a widescreen hack that I found here, works perfectly once you're in game.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

That was a truly incredible trailer. I hope it can pull off the magic trick of being fun, treating those issues with some sensitivity instead of just exploiting them, and having some depth to gameplay.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Arcturas posted:

That was a truly incredible trailer. I hope it can pull off the magic trick of being fun, treating those issues with some sensitivity instead of just exploiting them, and having some depth to gameplay.
With a heavy heart I direct you to their batting average of 0 on these exact topics.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5jGDHQGUyQ

Techtonica looks like it's really shaping up. I genuinely enjoyed my time with it fresh into EA but can't wait to get back to it with all of these new changes.

Edit: VV Yep, I should specify this update came out yesterday.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 8, 2024

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Oh is that out now? I have to find time to squeeze in some more Techtonica play. I was every interested in where they were going to go with it.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

explosivo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5jGDHQGUyQ

Techtonica looks like it's really shaping up. I genuinely enjoyed my time with it fresh into EA but can't wait to get back to it with all of these new changes.

Lots of nice features, but no mention of making the research system less stupid, so I'll continue watching this from the sidelines :shrug:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tamba posted:

Lots of nice features, but no mention of making the research system less stupid, so I'll continue watching this from the sidelines :shrug:

They already did this. You still have to store research cores but it's significantly more condensed so it doesn't take up nearly as much space. I think it's a fun system that gives you a visualization of how much research you've done over time but I can see why people don't dig it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I actually just started Techtonica and really like a lot of it. It still feels like it has some rough edges but that's to be expected given how early on it is. I'm debating heavily if I want to sink a bunch of time into it now or maybe wait a few more big patches.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I actually just started Techtonica and really like a lot of it. It still feels like it has some rough edges but that's to be expected given how early on it is. I'm debating heavily if I want to sink a bunch of time into it now or maybe wait a few more big patches.

I did sink a lot of time into it when it came out so I'm in the 'wait for more updates' phase myself. There's definitely enough meat on the bones there to get at least a couple dozen hours out of it though and the last couple updates have added a lot of great stuff.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Jack Trades posted:

Or uhhh Dwarf Fortress.
How's the Steam release for that again?

Most of the description on Steam focuses on Graphics, but I also remember having to use a set of external tools to make the game playable.
Stuff like some additional search criteria during the deployment phase or having a tool to automatically set and unset jobs based on dwarfs' abilities and the like.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

DF Hack and the like are available as mods. It's not great that you need them sometimes, but integration is zero effort, just subscribe then play.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Ah. so it's the original experience.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

zedprime posted:

The KKKs movie involvement is well known. I'm wondering what precedent there is for a studio kidnapping a retired actor and forcing them to sign a contract.

Kim Jong Il did kidnap South Korean film director and actress (also husband and wife) Shin Sang-ok and Choi Eun-hee.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Only tangentially related, but what happened with Nilaus' YouTube channel. It was all Factorio and Dyson Sphere and now it's Sexology?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Aero737 posted:

Only tangentially related, but what happened with Nilaus' YouTube channel. It was all Factorio and Dyson Sphere and now it's Sexology?

I was tuned into one of his streams a few weeks back and it was really weird, because he was on a deep dive monologue about sex dungeons, fetishes he had and was in the midst of retelling a story of a hetero couple he had met in one of these dungeons and how he was really enjoying going to these events and being a third, taking part, and then coming back the next day to play videogames. It felt oddly culty, for some reason, and like he was trying to convince his viewers to join in and do the same.

It definitely wasn't what I was expecting when I clicked his stream, and I hope he separates this from his regular gaming content because the topics don't resonate with or interest me at all. I tune into his streams to watch a guy obsess over efficiency, not talk for 45 minutes about how much he enjoys being sexually caressed and how liberating it feels to sleep with random people and never see them again.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Management Megathread: I asked about Dungeon Keeper, not Nilaus’ Dungeons

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Just gonna continue.. not.. watching that guy's stuff.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
And here I was hoping Sexology was a new management game about sex dungeons so I wouldn't have to worry about my wife getting viruses from Sims mods.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lmao, stay tuned for conveyor belt layouts and fuckin

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
What even the gently caress did i just read

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

LordSloth posted:

Management Megathread: I asked about Dungeon Keeper, not Nilaus’ Dungeons

Management Megathread: Forget KeeperRL, Nilaus has a REAL dungeon to enjoy!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I would like to know less

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Aero737 posted:

Yeah I just unsubbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Tarnop posted:

I would like to know less

Consent can be sexy