Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

Grammar anyone? "Prosperity"??

This bothers me now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Slack3r posted:

This bothers me now.

That's nothing to do with grammar. "Preserved for prosperity" is perfectly grammatical English.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Bathtub tiling job done flush with flange rather than covering it.

quote:

We're having a new bathtub installed with tiles as part of a bathroom renovation. We just realized that the tiles are not installed in a way that covers the flanges but rather flush with them (see pictures.). From what I've seen in pictures, installation manuals and YouTube, there needs to be some protection over the flanges to install the tiles right to the bathtub. Asked contractor about it and said it was because walls were not straight.

https://imgur.com/a/OqOQ5dg

I've seen some installations with kerdi board and shims to straighten it, so I'm thinking he's full of it and just telling me anything at this point.

What are my options at this point? Is there anyway to finish the job, or does it need to be redone completely?

lmao

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Slack3r posted:

This bothers me now.

There's a coin slot on the side, you're supposed to drop in a quarter whenever you look at the wall.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Vim Fuego posted:

Bathtub tiling job done flush with flange rather than covering it.

lmao

So?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Yeah looks fine to me

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Every tub I've seen the tile overlaps that flange, but I presume it depends on how the tub is designed.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've never seen a tub with a flange so :shrug:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Backer board and tile is supposed to overlap the flange so that you don't get water behind your tile and loving up your wall. They either rip it all out now or in like a year when their wall is rotting from the inside out.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
not an expert, but I've never let that keep me from speculating before: good rule of thumb with construction is that there should ideally be some kind of impermeable barrier and/or vertical travel between water and places it shouldn't be.

it's fine right now, but keeping the caulk maintained (yes I hear it too) just got a lot more important.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Just get this guy to go over it every once in a while.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Sirotan posted:

Backer board and tile is supposed to overlap the flange so that you don't get water behind your tile and loving up your wall. They either rip it all out now or in like a year when their wall is rotting from the inside out.

Yes. The last tub I installed specifically called out covering the flange with backer board and tile, I’d show the manual to the contractor and have him rip it out and start over.

Sir_Lagsalot
May 6, 2007

Connection error

ComradePyro posted:

there should ideally be some kind of impermeable barrier and/or vertical travel between water and places it shouldn't be.

The crappy tiler pauses briefly to think. "Down is vertical travel" they announce, and resume their work.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sirotan posted:

Sorry, yeah, I meant backer board under the tile, too.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Sir_Lagsalot posted:

The crappy tiler pauses briefly to think. "Down is vertical travel" they announce, and resume their work.

well, that's what I get for deciding I didn't sound smart enough when I said "upwards"

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
One of my showers was installed with that backer board above the flange. Fuckers filled it mud and taped it...took about two years before it started bubbling/dripping out.

Tear it out and start over was what I did...

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 9, 2024

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That's nothing to do with grammar. "Preserved for prosperity" is perfectly grammatical English.

Because of all the tourists who pay to come see it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Just heard a funny story from my uncle. He was a career dentist, and had a really fun house when we were kids including a giant pool. It was about 3x the size of the average backyard pool, with one end deep enough for a diving board and the other a broad shallow area with a waterslide.
I learned that he built that pool himself with a neighbor. None of them had ever built a pool before, and this was 40 years ago. Turned out great and 40 years later it still holds up. The crappy construction part comes from being accidentally overbuilt.
They had learned that the parts deeper than 6 feet needed 6 inch rebar spacing. They built the entire pool this way. What they did not know and later learned was that the walls and floors less than 6 feet deep only needed 12 inch rebar spacing. Flip it upside down and you've got a bomb shelter.

The neighborhood pool building co-op extended to a total of five homeowners who all helped each other build their backyard pools. Probably got a good deal buying materials in bulk and sharing equipment rentals.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That's the opposite of crappy construction :colbert:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Wibla posted:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Wibla posted:

Wrong, it's poo-ly construction, pretty much the same.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
That makes me unreasonably upset.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
So how strong is mortar in tension, anyway?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Don't worry, that garage door track is load-bearing.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

you what

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/nedsore/status/1766834007579177335

I don’t think that I’d want to live with this tub, but seeing this tub in the guest bathroom? Cool.

For the love of God, Montresor!

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Are chimney stacks only supposed to be a single brick thick? Seems like it should be thicker than that, just to keep the structural integrity going for the required height they usually have. Especially when some idiot puts a garage over the top of it. Won’t it eventually leak gasses into an enclosed space? Or am I way overthinking things.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Orvin posted:

Are chimney stacks only supposed to be a single brick thick? Seems like it should be thicker than that, just to keep the structural integrity going for the required height they usually have. Especially when some idiot puts a garage over the top of it. Won’t it eventually leak gasses into an enclosed space? Or am I way overthinking things.

Well it certainly the gently caress is now

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Orvin posted:

They have liners inside them that the combustion gases actually go through, usually. Traditionally those were made of clay, they are more likely to be metal now.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The fireplace only needs like a 6 or 8 inch pipe, the rest of this brick work is superficial, only supporting itself and nothing else. Either way, there's enough empty space inside that chimney to reinforce it correctly or even make it visually appealing. I understand why they did it, but it could have been done way better.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Nitrox posted:

The fireplace only needs like a 6 or 8 inch pipe, the rest of this brick work is superficial, only supporting itself and nothing else. Either way, there's enough empty space inside that chimney to reinforce it correctly or even make it visually appealing. I understand why they did it, but it could have been done way better.

Yeah, like place a car jack to reinforce what's left of the wall.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nenonen posted:

Yeah, like place a car jack to reinforce what's left of the wall.

They'd probably jack it too hard and break it worse.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

They'd probably jack it too hard and break it worse.

how the gently caress did you get a copy of my medical report

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Well, you do need crystals to jack it properly.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm no engineer but I think the cables should be continuous and running through a hole in the top horizontal cross piece rather than eye bolts through the side. And I'm looking at this on my phone but it *looks* as though two of the cable clamps were installed properly, but it's blurry on the phone screen. I doubt that they were properly torqued and retorqued though.

E: oh poo poo that horizontal piece at the top is like a 1x6 or something.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sir, that is in fact a cable-stayed platform.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I'm no engineer, but I don't think that the front posts will stay true for long.

Why didn't this guy just buy a floating dock? Especially if your private puddle drops 4 feet of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Floating dock best dock. Then, even when the pond loses two feet because we’ve entirely hosed up the planet, you still get a floating ramp at water level.

Bonus, unclip it from the shore and paddle around. Picnic taco dinner in the middle of a lovely pond is kinda rad.

That stupid suspended platform is the worst possible solution in all cases.