Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho
Kirishima

S/K:
Nishikigi
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho

M1-5:
Atamifuji
Oho
Midorifuji

M6-10:
Hokutofuji
Gonoyama
Kinbozan

M11+:
Takerufuji
Roga
Daiamami

Juryo:
Wakatakakage
Asakoryu
Tsushimanada

I'm pleased to be able to pick my man Wakatakakage once again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Nothing is set in stone yet, but gently caress this does not sound good:
https://x.com/SumoFollower/status/1766119628294492643
https://x.com/SumoFollower/status/1766119633516474815

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
This seems like an incredibly short sighted decision.

Does anyone have context for how Japanese fans have reacted to this saga? I've only heard bits from Chris Sumo videos. I imagine there are some folks who have a similar mindset as the jsa, complete with xenophobic undertones, but I get the impression that Hakuho was well liked as a rikishi among the average sumo fans.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Rolling things up in this manner suggests to me that there was never any serious intention towards fixing the situation, just a desire to draw out the humiliation and avoid scandal.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Fearless posted:

Rolling things up in this manner suggests to me that there was never any serious intention towards fixing the situation, just a desire to draw out the humiliation and avoid scandal.

Yep. They're not upset about the bullying, they're upset that it got exposed. And also they've been looking for any excuse to completely destroy Hakuho and this is it. They're still salty that the literal GOAT is Mongolian

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
They're salty that he spent a decade refusing to kiss their feet and they were powerless to stop him, to the point of pushing Kisenosato to an early retirement to fix their wounded pride. It's so transparently vanity.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

lol his replies

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1766127518388465717
https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1766134189080948894
https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1766196227131978099
https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1766194783880388976

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Lid posted:

They're salty that he spent a decade refusing to kiss their feet and they were powerless to stop him, to the point of pushing Kisenosato to an early retirement to fix their wounded pride. It's so transparently vanity.

I honestly think a number of people in the org would actually be quite pleased if this sort of poo poo cost the sport viewers and popularity, as the more isolated it is the more they can run it like their own little fiefdom.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2024/03/06/sumo/sumo-struggling-recruitment/
Popularity is up, but recruitment is down. They just had their smallest ever new class of wrestlers, 27.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

Fearless posted:

I feel very bad for Hakuho because he sank a lot of his own money into founding that stable. There were some who predicted he would get ratfucked in such a manner but it's so ridiculously blatant.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Yeah, I'm sure the clan isn't making sure the association has not idea what will or won't be said. :jerkbag:

Honestly, part of me hopes that Hak just tells them to eat the entirety of his rear end and goes to live a proper life in his ancestral home but the other part of me wants to see him get through this and build the next generation of wrestlers purely out of spite.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I know his ignoring the ongoing problems for a year is a real bad look for Hak, but I was expecting JSA/Isegahama to at least let him hold onto the stable after a period of training.

Welp. :smith:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Bentai posted:

I know his ignoring the ongoing problems for a year is a real bad look for Hak, but I was expecting JSA/Isegahama to at least let him hold onto the stable after a period of training.

Welp. :smith:

I'm really disappointed that Miyagino ignored what sounds like a longstanding pattern of poo poo behaviour from Hokuseiho, and both of them absolutely do deserve some kind of corrective action. But what the JSA appears to be up to seems so stupid and short-sighted. Publicly humiliate a guy who's got a proven track record of marching to his own drum and cast him out... only leaves him entirely free to say and do whatever he wants because the JSA can't sanction him any further once he's left the organization. And I'm certain that Miyagino knows well enough what kind of grime the other elders have under their nails. Were I in his shoes, if I got forced out I'd let rip with everything I knew and give the shitheads the scandal they've been so anxious to avoid.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm really not trying to be an rear end in a top hat here, but it's hard for me to feel particularly mad or bad for hakuho in this- regardless of the punishment other lovely coaches get, no one seems to particularly contest he was being a deeply lovely coach. I fail to see why I should really want him building the next generation as things stand. *At best* he comes off as sort of an absentee coach who had way too much other poo poo going on.

I do feel deeply bad for the wrestlers, of course, but I also don't know if keeping that heya together is really the best outcome for them either

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
I agree with that. It would be a lovely, ignominious way for the GOAT to go out, but he did a lovely, ignominious thing! He knowingly let some pretty serious abuse go on at his stable for an extended period of time and there's nothing in the way of mitigating circumstances other than what, all his extracurriculars like the Hakuho Cup? If he's going to take on the responsibility of running a stable that should be his first priority. In my opinion booting him from the sumo association entirely would be too much, but taking the heya away and maybe letting him try again 5 or 10 years down the road would be harsh but not unwarranted.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I don't think there's any reason to pretend there haven't been hazing or violence scandals in sumo before, but oddly the punishments never seemed to be this harsh. It's good for such behavior to be punished but I doubt the leadership's sincerity. In any case, it seems likely they'll get their wish of having their hands clean of Hakuho.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
It's entirely possible for Hakuho to be the greatest athlete in a sport but a huge, colossal shithead at the same time. Hokuseiho was his recruit. They'd been together in the heya for years. I assume Hakuho's influence there was overwhelming even when he wasn't the official leader. The association knows him better than anyone else. It feels entirely likely that their resistance to him becoming the stablemaster was grounded in a total lack of confidence that he could do it, which was immediately proven right! Hakuho loving sucks as a stablemaster!

I really think that people in this thread want to let too much from him slide because they liked his wrestling.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Are they treating Hak differently than others, yeah, probably, but if the Hokuseiho stuff is true and there's little reason to believe otherwise, then he doesn't deserve to be a stablemaster. Who cares if he's the GOAT. Great atheletes make lovely coaches all the time.

The good thing to do would be to kick out all the other lovely coaches too, not let Hak get away with poo poo because they've let others get away with it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Look on the bright side. I’m looking forward to having Hakuho take my order at Meat Land in November.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Kirishima
Hoshoryu

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Nishikigi
Daieisho

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Tobizaru
Midorifuji

M6-10:
Kinbozan
Gonoyama
Hokutofuji

M11+:
Ryuden
Roga
Endo

Juryo:
Wakatakage
Hakuoho
Aoiyama

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm actually really invested in how rikishi from Futagoyama-beya do this basho since I've watched so many of their cooking videos. Nabatame could make Juryo this tournament if he posts a good score at Makushita 5.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Y/O:
Kotonowaka
Kirishima
Hoshoryu

S/K:
Daieisho
Wakamotoharu
Nishikigi

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Onosato
Hiradoumi

M6-10:
Takerufuji
Tamawashi
Takayasu

M11+:
Takerufuji
Shimazuumi
Churanoumi

Juryo:
Wakatakage
Akua
Kotoeko

Mawashi color: Cream and dark green.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

As far as Hakuho goes, he should have known he was under serious scrutiny and a serious slip would've given the old guys of sumo a reason to gently caress with him.

Shouldn't have let abuse happen under his watch if he didn't want to get hosed with. But he did.

Faves be problematic sometimes.

Dr.Tree
May 7, 2007

Sure there are goons in local government. But there are goons in national government too
Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Kirishima
Takakeisho

S/K:
Abi
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho

M1-5:
Oho
Onosato
Ura

M6-10:
Onosho
Kotoshoho
Tsurugisho

M11+:
Takerufuji
Endo
Ryuden

Juryo:
Wakatakakage
Hakuoho
Tomokaze

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
after training hard in february, i'm ready to enjoy fantasy sumo. my picks!

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Kotonowaka
Kirishima

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho
Nishikigi

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Onosato
Atamifuji

M6-10:
Hokutofuji
Shodai
Mitakeumi

M11+:
Roga
Shimazuumi
Takerufuji

Juryo:
Hakuoho
Shishi
Wakatakage

Mawashi color: Gold

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 9, 2024

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I don't know if it's been mentioned here before, but Disney+ got a cute sumo-series:
https://www.disneyplus.com/en-ca/series/sumo-do-sumo-dont/35RKAHulSVtc

Lots of typical tropes, etc, but I enjoyed it.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Takakeisho
Kirishima

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Abi
Nishikigi

M1-5:
Midorifuji
Tobizaru
Atamifuji

M6-10:
Hokutofuji
Takayasu
Shodai

M11+:
Ichiyamamoto
Nishikifuji
Roga

Juryo:
Hakuoho
Shishi
Aoiyama

Thanks for running the fantasy basho again Kenning.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Vargatron posted:

I'm actually really invested in how rikishi from Futagoyama-beya do this basho since I've watched so many of their cooking videos. Nabatame could make Juryo this tournament if he posts a good score at Makushita 5.

This. Never thought sumo mukbang would get me to root for a whole beya.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Hoshoryu
Kirishima

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho
Nishikigi

M1-5:
Onosato
Asanoyama
Atamifuji

M6-10:
Kotoshoho
Gonoyama
Kinbozan

M11+:
Takerufuji
Endo
Roga

Juryo:
Hakuoho
Shishi
Asakoryu

Looking forward to this one! Thanks again Kenning

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Y/O:
Kirishima
Terunofuji
Kotonowaka

S/K:
Daieisho
Wakamotoharu
Abi

M1-5:
Midorifuji
Tobizaru
Atamifuji

M6-10:
Shodai
Gonoyama
Mitakeumi

M11+:
Ryuden
Shimazuumi
Shonannoumi

Juryo:
Wakatakakage
Hakuoho
Tokihayate

Banana Canada, requesting off-white (#ffffe4) for my color. Thanks!

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Kirishima
Kotonowaka

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Abi
Nishikigi

M1-5:
Ura
Atamifuji
Meisei

M6-10:
Tsurugisho
Kinbozan
Tamawashi

M11+:
Sadanoumi
Churanoumi
Takerufuji

Juryo:
Takarafuji
Wakatakakage
Hakuoho

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

It's that time again.

Y/O:
Kirishima
Terunofuji
Kotonowaka

S/K
Wakamotoharu
Nishikigi
Daieisho

M1-5:
Midorifuji
Tobizaru
Atamifuji

M6-10:
Takayasu
Shodai
Mitakeumi

M11+
Takerufuji
Nishikifuji
Kitanowaka

Juryo:
Wakatakakage
Shishi
Hakuoho

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Y/O
Kirishima
Kotonowaka
Hoshoryu

S/K
Abi
Nishikigi
Wakamotoharu

M1-5
Onosato
Ura
Midorifuji

M6-10
Shodai
Hokutofuji
Takayasu

M11
Endo
Ryuden
Ichiyamamoto

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023
Y/O:
Kirishima
Kotonowaka
Hoshoryu

S/K:
Daieisho
Abi
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Atamifuji
Meisei
Onosato

M6-10:
Gonoyama
Kinbozan
Takayasu

M11+:
Myogiryu
Ryuden
Kitanowaka

Juryo:
Hakuoho
Shishi
Aoiyama

Paratan
Jan 1, 2008

it's sumo, folks
i'm here to ask for links on where ppl are planning on watching march tournament and if there's already a good place can u put it in the OP, thanks.

quote:

How do I watch sumo if I'm not in Japan?

If you're not in Japan there are basically 3 options:

1) Official broadcast streams/recordings
2) Bootleg streams (subject to getting shut down)
3) Youtube compilations that upload within a few hours of action

post or private message is ok,
i prefer japanese streams with no commentary but i will take what i can get and it's been a while so my subscriptions have been put in youtube jail

otherwise im just going to be clicking tags on youtube that pop up 頑張ります

thanks

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

pseudodragon posted:

Oh missed the bit about mawashi color. Do you want it edited into my pick post?

Anyone know what the colour code for Kotonowaka's aquaish belt is?

I can give you #7DCAC2 if that's okay. I just used the dropper tool on MS Paint and a photo of him with his belt. MS Paint calls it "Teal".

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Banana Canada posted:

I can give you #7DCAC2 if that's okay. I just used the dropper tool on MS Paint and a photo of him with his belt. MS Paint calls it "Teal".

That's perfect, thanks!

Paratan posted:

i prefer japanese streams with no commentary but i will take what i can get and it's been a while so my subscriptions have been put in youtube jail

Twitch has been a fairly reliable source of sumo watch parties. If you search sumo there should be at least 2 streams from people with sumo in their usernames up during the tourney that have been doing it for awhile now.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 9, 2024

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Paratan posted:

i'm here to ask for links on where ppl are planning on watching march tournament and if there's already a good place can u put it in the OP, thanks.

otherwise im just going to be clicking tags on youtube that pop up 頑張ります

thanks

Natto continues to play whack-a-mole with the copyright enforcers and has his own Discord where he keeps people updated on new sites/accounts:
https://discord.gg/nattosumo

He adds nice informative graphics and stuff to his videos and posts the Makushita, Juryo and Makuuchi each day. No commentary, and very limited footage outside of the actual matches though.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Search "live sumo" on youtube then sort the results by "Live" and you'll get a stream or two.

I prefer youtube since the player is better and you can rewind and frame-by frame for close calls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm partial to those that watch party the Abema streams because there's nothing better than watching Wakanohana demonstrate the latest winning kimarite on his sumo partner/crash test dummy/poor SOB.