Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006
Ghost stories for the end of the world did a two parter on britpop, highly recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

OH MY BAD posted:

the book is called "the psychic soviet" and it's full of insane semi-marxist frankfurt school style ramblings about seinfeld being a cultural trojan horse to make white people gentrify cities and how coffee is the blood of south america consumed by the american vampire etc

the chapter in question is called the seduction of paolo hewitt but the text is too tiny to photograph (it's pocket bible sized) but he repeatedly mentions blur/oasis as a means to pump up national sentiment in the UK

holy poo poo Im not alone in thinking this! I literally just dropped this in the succ thread yesterday. I think friends is the prime candidate but nevertheless YES IAN YES

e: friends is the standout example but if you look at NBC's entire slate during that period there was a lot about being a young horny yuppie trying your damnedest in the big city, most times NYC. The playbook repeats itself with every gentrification spike, see Broad City.

Tsitsikovas has issued a correction as of 16:48 on Mar 8, 2024

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

As far as I know neither Gallagher bro has drunkenly accused the other of being an op. That's all the evidence that I need.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the real problem with Seinfeld is that although they supposedly live in NYC they almost never take the subway (it's because it's cheaper to fake a cab/car ride on a set than an entire subway car + less extras)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

mycomancy posted:

If Blur was an op, is Gorillaz an op too? :ohdear:

gorillaz was originally damon albarn teaming up with jamie hewlett to make a band that couldnt be directly connected to a nation, culture or even group of musicians, so it tracks that it would be a personal response to being exploited for nationalist purposes

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the real problem with Seinfeld is that although they supposedly live in NYC they almost never take the subway (it's because it's cheaper to fake a cab/car ride on a set than an entire subway car + less extras)

It's believable enough since they all live in the UES anyway. Even today many residents there drive (they were super against the latest slate of car tolling in midtown), this was all the more the case in the late 80s and 90s. People DO drive in nyc.

but yeah production reasons certainly help. although they did have that one subway ep, which is also one of their best.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

scary ghost dog posted:

gorillaz was originally damon albarn teaming up with jamie hewlett to make a band that couldnt be directly connected to a nation, culture or even group of musicians, so it tracks that it would be a personal response to being exploited for nationalist purposes

hope you didn't buy that

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
friends/seinfeld/sex and the city/himym will forever be northern and increasingly eastern europe's ideal to strive for and it will prostrate itself to america to any depths to be a part of it

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

fanfic insert posted:

friends/seinfeld/sex and the city/himym will forever be northern and increasingly eastern europe's ideal to strive for and it will prostrate itself to america to any depths to be a part of it

if that isnt soft power...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

fanfic insert posted:

i'd like to marry robin from himym

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Jose posted:

i'd like to marry robin from himym

I mean big same, the romanticism of HIMYM was emotional catnip for me in my early 20s. Good thing CBS decided to make the show so unwatchable for that last season it killed its rewatchability. Also Barney is loving yikes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've watched the whole show except for the final episode

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

hope you didn't buy that

its pure conjecture on my part based on the involvement of jamie hewlett. iirc albarn split with blur and started renting a flat with hewlett. there arent really any contradictions in this story, gorillaz influence has been pretty much boosting the careers of their featured musicians and albarn has spent his non-gorillaz post-blur career producing albums for musicians from congo and mali

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Jose posted:

I skipped the last season except for the series finale, where I got to watch them throw The Mother under the cancer bus then end the series with Ted asking his kids "...so you two are cool with me gettin' up in Aunt Robin's guts, right?"

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
just another brick in the wonderwall

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
Was jarvis cocker mooning Michael Jackson on stage at the 1996 BRIT awards an op???

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023
HIMYM, the story of some softboi scumbag telling his kids all the strange he got in nyc

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023
Ted Mosby was on epstein's plane

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Tsitsikovas posted:

Ted Mosby was on epstein's plane

Kids, I'll never forget the time your Uncle Barney introduced me to Ghislaine Maxwell

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

Kids, I'll never forget the time your Uncle Barney introduced me to Ghislaine Maxwell

Barney, who always laughed off what his job was. Who never wanted to say it. Who had an american psycho apartment. If thats not a handler idk what is.

wait was barney perhaps a...financier?

Tsitsikovas has issued a correction as of 17:54 on Mar 8, 2024

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

"Ted, this island vacation is going to be legendary! Plus also check out the cans on Ghis!"

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
How I Met Your Mother's Owner

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mycomancy posted:

How I Met Your Mother's Owner

How I Met My Master

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

OH MY BAD posted:

i have a chapbook by ian svenious of nation of ulysses/the make-up from 2006 that devotes a chapter arguing a similar line about oasis and blur specifically being intelligence operations. strange parallel there

“Beatles… or Deceitles?” by James Frasché posted:

On December the 8th, 1980, Mark David Chapman exploded the Beatles myth forever. Outside the Dakota in New York City, Chapman fired four shots into one of the most recognizable actors of our time: CIA agent Ben Hoyle, the man who portrayed John Lennon on television, on the silver screen, on the radio, and in a billion hearts. According to paramedic Dan Trouel, Hoyle’s last words were ‘Tell [CIA director Stansfield] Turner… I’m blown.’ Trouel, starstruck and heartbroken, initially thought ‘Lennon’ was talking nonsense.

‘Initially,’ says Trouel, ‘I thought he was talking nonsense.’ Little did he know that Hoyle had provided the first clue to unraveling one of the greatest deceptions ever perpetrated on the American public. ‘American public,’ you ask? ‘Weren’t the Beatles a worldwide phenomenon?’ WRONG. Ask any British adult who the Beatles are, and you’ll be greeted with a blank stare.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

hell yeah

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

didn't know who you folx are talking about so I looked em up

:cawg:

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

this is awesome

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

What does he have to say about Paul McCartney being dead since 66?

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Tsitsikovas posted:

holy poo poo Im not alone in thinking this! I literally just dropped this in the succ thread yesterday. I think friends is the prime candidate but nevertheless YES IAN YES

e: friends is the standout example but if you look at NBC's entire slate during that period there was a lot about being a young horny yuppie trying your damnedest in the big city, most times NYC. The playbook repeats itself with every gentrification spike, see Broad City.

In the Simpsons commentaries one of the show runners mentions that while writing for a previous show they were told to emphasize characters needing money. What could that be other than a directive from on high to centralize greed in the public mind?

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Jose posted:

Same except the Wonder Years

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Had a few experiences recently where people were talking semi-positively about watching HIMYM (one was on a podcast... chapo maybe?) and it was totally shocking to me. I always assumed it was unwatchable garbage like two and a half men or something.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

pangstrom posted:

Had a few experiences recently where people were talking semi-positively about watching HIMYM (one was on a podcast... chapo maybe?) and it was totally shocking to me. I always assumed it was unwatchable garbage like two and a half men or something.

People love slop

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
most sitcoms have at least 1 or 2 jokes per episode that would make you laugh if you were in a good mood. this is the secret of television comedy: it's actually all slop.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

pangstrom posted:

It's a product of its time and it ran about three seasons longer than it should've, but in the moment it was alright broadcast TV. It's saccharine and romantic, so if you're jaded and/or in your 40s it's not really relatable anymore.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I started rewatching Frasier and tbh it's made me revise my former hardline stance against "laughtracks". some forms of comedy, like Farce, just play better in front of an actual audience.

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023
You have to pur HIMYM in its proper context - relative to most sitcoms of its type it had a faster pace and more layered jokes. Lot of callbacks and cutaways, poo poo that became pretty normal.

They basically took arrested development, made it less edgy, screened it in front of a live audience, and there you go.

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

I started rewatching Frasier and tbh it's made me revise my former hardline stance against "laughtracks". some forms of comedy, like Farce, just play better in front of an actual audience.

If the scripts are good and the laughs arent entirely canned it can be a great viewing experience. People got (rightfully) annoyed because of how forced they eventually became. Unfunny jokes getting perfectly cadenced laughs relentlessly.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Tsitsikovas posted:

They basically took arrested development, made it less edgy, screened it in front of a live audience, and there you go.

Which was itself taking the pacing of something like The Simpsons and adapting it from Animation to a Single Camera format.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Tsitsikovas posted:

If the scripts are good and the laughs arent entirely canned it can be a great viewing experience. People got (rightfully) annoyed because of how forced they eventually became. Unfunny jokes getting perfectly cadenced laughs relentlessly.

oh absolutely, I guess it's moreso that when I was younger, all of that criticism got distilled down to "Laugh Tracks Suck" over time and all nuance of the advantages of shooting something in a Multicamera set up just kind of went out the window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I have Frasier going in the background on computer #2 and it's a barrel of laughs even now. Certain 90s stuff doesn't hold up and there is a lot of "low" humor, fat jokes etc. but it holds up far better than anything else from the era

It's such a tightly written show and part of that is because each episode is written more like a stage play than a three camera sitcom. Each episode would usually only take one taping vs. Friends which would take two