Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Millenials is barely a capsule. It's the nicest capsule you'll ever be in.

And no, you don't need a reservation though do be prepared to be turned away. But it's just because a lot of those places are pretty tiny, relatively speaking, so they fill up quickly. It's normal and doesn't mean you should have made a reservation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

For popular ones you might need to reserve a few hours before, but most places you can probably just walk in. Prices aren't higher at night, it's because there's different menus and people eat more so they spend more.

Edit: the only time you'll need to reserve a place is if you want to go to that specific restaurant on that day, otherwise you just walk about 30 seconds and look for another place.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

One person can usually fit in somewhere at the counter, don't overthink it. Google maps works.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

What is the difference between Tokyo Metro Pass and Suica/Passmo? Apparently the former is meant for tourists and can be used to ride the subway/train for 24/48/72 hours but can only be used on certain lines and not others? :confused: Should I get 72 + 24 hours in my case? Do Suica/Passmo work on other public transit like busses as well?

The Tokyo Metro Pass is basically a ticket that lets you ride just the subway an unlimited amount for 24/48/72 hours. Last time I did this math you need to ride like 4-6 times per 24 hour period for it to be worth it so plan out your routes first. Main thing is this is only for subway use and not everything is accessible by subway or some route might not be the most optimal to use the subway. For JR commuter trains, buses, monorail, etc this pass won't work and you'll need to pay out of pocket to ride those.

A Suica/Pasmo is a prepaid transit card. You get a card and load it with money which you can use to quickly pay for transit by tapping at the gates. There's no discount for using this but it's super convenient and can be used for basically all forms of transit in Tokyo. You can also use the card to pay for things at vending machines and some shops (conbinis included).

Zettace fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 8, 2024

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Zettace posted:

The Tokyo Metro Pass is basically a ticket that lets you ride just the subway an unlimited amount for 24/48/72 hours. Last time I did this math you need to ride like 4-6 times per 24 hour period for it to be worth it so plan out your routes first. Main thing is this is only for subway use and not everything is accessible by subway or some route might not be the most optimal to use the subway. For JR commuter trains, buses, monorail, etc this pass won't work and you'll need to pay out of pocket to ride those.

A Suica/Pasmo is a prepaid transit card. You get a card and load it with money which you can use to quickly pay for transit by tapping at the gates. There's no discount for using this but it's super convenient and can be used for basically all forms of transit in Tokyo. You can also use the card to pay for things at vending machines and some shops (conbinis included).

Wouldn't it be more convenient to just rely on Suica since it works with everything instead of jumping through hoops with Tokyo Subway Pass? How much should I load onto Suica? 5,000 yen?

Also any handy apps you might recommend?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Zettace posted:

There's no discount for using this but it's super convenient and can be used for basically all forms of transit in Tokyo.

There is a small discount for paying by IC card instead of cash.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Wouldn't it be more convenient to just rely on Suica since it works with everything instead of jumping through hoops with Tokyo Subway Pass? How much should I load onto Suica? 5,000 yen?

Also any handy apps you might recommend?

That's probably a good start, you can also just shove some yen into a machine and reload it if you need more.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

To be clear, Tokyo Metro and Tokyo Subway are two different companies running different lines each, and tickets for one are not valid for the other. And neither of those are JR either, and there are also several other train companies around.

But all of them will take payment for single ride tickets from any IC card.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Just get a Suica or Passmo (they're interchangeable) at a convenience store or the station and reload it with spare coins as needed at the gate of the station. Way easier and it works on every line and the discount or whatever is completely negligible.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Wouldn't it be more convenient to just rely on Suica since it works with everything instead of jumping through hoops with Tokyo Subway Pass?
Yeah, if you're not going to plan out a itinerary to take advantage of the pass then that would be better. The pass is good value if you do make a plan to get the most out of it though.

nielsm posted:

To be clear, Tokyo Metro and Tokyo Subway are two different companies running different lines each, and tickets for one are not valid for the other. And neither of those are JR either, and there are also several other train companies around.

But all of them will take payment for single ride tickets from any IC card.

The Tokyo Metro pass covers both Tokyo Metro and Toei Subway.

Gabriel Grub posted:

There is a small discount for paying by IC card instead of cash.
Oh yeah, you're right. Didn't know this was actually a thing and it's like 1-2 cents cheaper with IC card lol Edit: Actually nvm it's not always cheaper. It's because cash fares always round to 10 yen. This means IC card fare can be cheaper or more expensive by a couple of cents but usually cheaper.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 8, 2024

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

I think in general Google maps will be fine for using transit in Japan, but the Japan Transit Planner by Jorudan is really good and has some nice features. One thing I like is that it always shows the kanji for the stations which can be relevant when you are stopping somewhere in the boonies, but probably not necessary for a Tokyo trip.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

teddust posted:

I think in general Google maps will be fine for using transit in Japan, but the Japan Transit Planner by Jorudan is really good and has some nice features. One thing I like is that it always shows the kanji for the stations which can be relevant when you are stopping somewhere in the boonies, but probably not necessary for a Tokyo trip.

Even stations in the boonies have signs in English with the station name, though. And listed as such on maps/etc in the station and in the train car.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Get Suica/Pasmo/ICOCA/whatever they're all the same thing. They work on every transit mode in the country except the Shinkansen, some intercity trains, and for whatever reason the trams in Kagoshima. Don't overthink it.

Google maps works 100% fine in Japan and literally everything in the train system is multilingual. You'll get lost in train stations but Japanese people do too. Relax have fun.

You'll be able to read a bunch too from living in China. A lot of kanji have the same meaning and the Japanese simplifications are often derived from the same source as the Chinese ones so you'll recognize them fine. Won't be able to say them out loud, still helps though.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Get Suica/Pasmo/ICOCA/whatever they're all the same thing. They work on every transit mode in the country except the Shinkansen

You can actually load shinkansen tickets on them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gabriel Grub posted:

You can actually load shinkansen tickets on them.

Huh, that's neat. You can't just tap the card and get on though, right? I never tried but I was pretty sure that doesn't work.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
May I ask for those of you in Japan right now how the media is treating Toriyama’s death? I’d love to see anything of people remembering him fondly right now.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm just boarding my flight to Japan and truthfully Toriyama's death has really put a massive dampener on my trip! It's really shocking how much its affected me, if I see tributes I might just lose it!

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Grand Fromage posted:

Huh, that's neat. You can't just tap the card and get on though, right? I never tried but I was pretty sure that doesn't work.

You have to link the Shinkansen booking into the icoca card first, I did this using the Shinkansen app. Then you just tap through at the station and get on. Easy!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Okay, so apparently they've suspended giving out new IC cards since last year, but you can still get tourist IC cards that expire after 28 days.

Problem for me is that it can only be bought with a credit card, not cash or debit. Seriously, what is with certain things in Japan mandating a credit card like reserving Ghibli Museum tickets??

I don't have one and don't plan on opening a new one soon since building credit in China is useless to me. Would it be possible to ask some rando in the airport or convenience store to buy it for me and I give them cash or does the credit card have to be in your name?

E: also Google Maps I'm sure is great for getting from point A to point B, but sometimes I like looking at a static map of the rail system just to orient myself and get a sense of my surroundings. Metroman Beijing is excellent for this, but Metroman Japan is kind of garbo by comparison.

E2: I guess I spoke too soon. Passmo Tourist is credit only, Welcome Suica is cash only apparently. I wanted Suica anyways so this is fine.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 8, 2024

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Nanigans posted:

May I ask for those of you in Japan right now how the media is treating Toriyama’s death? I’d love to see anything of people remembering him fondly right now.

Nobody really cares to be honest beyond the news reporting it similar to any other western media outlet

Remember that these are children’s cartoons. He wasn’t like, Jim Henson or something.

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

im thinking about getting a credit card. has there been any company that you recommend. Im thinking EPOS card.
point cards, as well, Im always interested in bargain. Thats something most people dont know about me but, I like to save.

i heard there were some japanese cards that allow you to earn american miles (that dont expire unlike the japanese airline miles do). Do you use airline miles. Oh if you told me i would be so greatful.

Best of love where ever you are in the world.

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Okay, so apparently they've suspended giving out new IC cards since last year, but you can still get tourist IC cards that expire after 28 days.

Problem for me is that it can only be bought with a credit card, not cash or debit. Seriously, what is with certain things in Japan mandating a credit card like reserving Ghibli Museum tickets??

I don't have one and don't plan on opening a new one soon since building credit in China is useless to me. Would it be possible to ask some rando in the airport or convenience store to buy it for me and I give them cash or does the credit card have to be in your name?

E: also Google Maps I'm sure is great for getting from point A to point B, but sometimes I like looking at a static map of the rail system just to orient myself and get a sense of my surroundings. Metroman Beijing is excellent for this, but Metroman Japan is kind of garbo by comparison.

E2: I guess I spoke too soon. Passmo Tourist is credit only, Welcome Suica is cash only apparently. I wanted Suica anyways so this is fine.

I had a very similar problem to you as I live in area where there are no IC cards and I wanted one. I got an Icoca card when I was transferring in Kansai. Any card will do so it doesn't really matter. You can buy them on Mercari or you can ask someone to give one of their old ones (if you beg). Nothing wrong with just buying tickets, tahts what I do though. I live in the country though so no lines at the machines.

But actualyl Ehime will be using IC cards from 3/14 so maybe there is a Shikoku revolution?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

AHH F/UGH posted:

Nobody really cares to be honest beyond the news reporting it similar to any other western media outlet

Remember that these are children’s cartoons. He wasn’t like, Jim Henson or something.

Cool. Well the DB thread here would beg to differ.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nanigans posted:

Cool. Well the DB thread here would beg to differ.

The ADTRW Dragon Ball thread, famously a barometer of Japanese public opinion.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I'm walking around outside and like half the people on the street are dressed up as Goku.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
You can buy regular suica IC cards at the JR East Travel Centers at Tokyo, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Ikebukuro, Ueno, Shinagawa stations now.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Midjack posted:

The ADTRW Dragon Ball thread, famously a barometer of Japanese public opinion.

I'm saying they're not just stories for kids based on the many adult SA posters who actively read and watch the newer stuff but alright

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Zettace posted:

You can buy regular suica IC cards at the JR East Travel Centers at Tokyo, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Ikebukuro, Ueno, Shinagawa stations now.

That's good. This is the move don't gently caress with the other nonsense. Just get a regular card.

Also you can use your IC card to pay at most convenience stores and vending machines nowadays which is nice. And don't toss the card, it stays valid for 10 years after its last use.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Zettace posted:

Ooh! This is good to know, thank you! I'd much rather get a regular Suica IC card with a cute penguin on it that I can use again on a future trip to Japan instead of a temporary one that expires (albeit one that also looks nice).

E: I guess from Haneda I could buy a paper ticket to the Shibuya station, get the Suica IC card then dump my luggage at the hotel. Sounds like a plan. :D

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 9, 2024

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

You might even just be able to get the card at Haneda, they have a travel center there.
https://www.jreast.co.jp/multi/customer_support/service_center_haneda.html

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The JR East website specifically lists which JR East Travel Center has them

quote:

JR EAST Travel Service Center
Narita Airport Terminal 1 Station, Narita Airport Terminal 2・3 Station, Tokyo, Shinagawa, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Ikebukuro, Ueno

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

Tut mir leid.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

mongolia posted:

But actualyl Ehime will be using IC cards from 3/14 so maybe there is a Shikoku revolution?

WHAT

btw my Aeon credit card is excellent

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

mongolia posted:

im thinking about getting a credit card. has there been any company that you recommend. Im thinking EPOS card.

I’ve been with a Rakuten card for…8 years or so? Was able to apply when broke as a joke, now it’s a gold card. Gives me points back which can be spent on Rakuten, which is a dangerous way to go find old games.

Otherwise depending on your situation/your bank it might be possible that way. I’ve thought about getting one through the bank, especially since they have our mortgage so we’re gonna be together a while :v:

Also the one thing to say about the Toriyama news is it still might not be enough to knock Shohei Ohtani news from the top on Japanese broadcast news shows.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

peanut posted:

WHAT

btw my Aeon credit card is excellent

Wait, you didn't know? You're finally going to be in Japan!

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

harperdc posted:

I’ve been with a Rakuten card for…8 years or so? Was able to apply when broke as a joke, now it’s a gold card. Gives me points back which can be spent on Rakuten, which is a dangerous way to go find old games.

Otherwise depending on your situation/your bank it might be possible that way. I’ve thought about getting one through the bank, especially since they have our mortgage so we’re gonna be together a while :v:

Also the one thing to say about the Toriyama news is it still might not be enough to knock Shohei Ohtani news from the top on Japanese broadcast news shows.

地銀s are very strict but I am thinking about Rakuten. Maybe Aeon but in Kochi I live far away from Aeon brand stuff but I will move closer to a MaxValu. But, for the most part Aeon is really just big in 中四国 right? That’s just my impression, I don’t think there any Aeons nearby me in Kanagawa. I will research. Suica credit card sounds great, TY peanut. Also has anyone tried those United mile credit cards that don’t expire?

My friend was able to get a credit card for Shikoku Ginko as she has an account made for her by JET. Yet Shikoku Ginko has denied me even opening a savings account because they said I don’t need it. It’s true however as I will be living the region but 地銀s are conservative and if it causes them problems or any inconvenience in the slightest they don’t want to work with you.

Iyotetsu will start using Icoca starting 3/14.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

mongolia posted:

But, for the most part Aeon is really just big in 中四国 right? That’s just my impression, I don’t think there any Aeons nearby me in Kanagawa. I will research.

I think the HQ is out near Makuhari Messe in Chiba? There might be fewer of the big AEON Walmart looking places in the big metro area but they’re here under other names. There’s plenty of MyBasket shops, MiniStop convenience stores, Maruetsu supermarkets, and more. they purchased both the Daiei chain and I think Jusco back in the day.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

harperdc posted:

I think the HQ is out near Makuhari Messe in Chiba?
Yes, that's their headquarters in the big tower in Chiba. There's also a good sized Aeon mall just down the street from there.

mongolia posted:

Also has anyone tried those United mile credit cards that don’t expire?

Airline miles are an okay reward if you do a lot of travel by air but you may find more utility in a card that gives you cash back if you aren't flying all that much.

There's a credit card rewards thread in BFC that you may find helpful though much of their knowledge will be focused on what's available in the US.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
It looks like Klook is a major ticket vendor app in Japan. Apparently you can reserve Ghibli Museum Mitaka tickets through them and pay using Wechat Pay/Alipay instead of credit card as intended, but the price is jacked up 10x compared to general admission (431 rmb vs 48 rmb). I guess it's doable if the normal ticket route is immediately sold out, but I'd rather wait until April 10 first to try my luck at it first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

It looks like Klook is a major ticket vendor app in Japan. Apparently you can reserve Ghibli Museum Mitaka tickets through them and pay using Wechat Pay/Alipay instead of credit card as intended, but the price is jacked up 10x compared to general admission (431 rmb vs 48 rmb). I guess it's doable if the normal ticket route is immediately sold out, but I'd rather wait until April 10 first to try my luck at it first.

It's just an OK place to visit anyway, serviceable if you have kids, so don't beat yourself up if you can't go.