Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

The General posted:

Edit: That video has to have the worst Neil C song there is. Wow. I don't remember anything of his being that immediately offensive to my ears.

yeah, I love Neil Cicierega's "Mouth" album series, but that one is not exactly the most listenable of his mashups. I could listen to Crocodile Chop, Rollercloser, or Floor Corn all day long but that song kinda blows (which is mostly REM's fault imo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."
Didn't DaveMcW already solve the omnismelter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiMJ156RZWs

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Jamsque posted:

Thanks for sharing, fun animation even though the music is the worst poo poo I've heard in months

I honestly couldn't understand the lyrics for maybe the first 30 seconds or so of the video. The music was just abysmal.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Ok good i'm not the only one who thought it was bad.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's unlistenable but also weirdly catchy.

I'm just gonna put that down to We Didn't Start The Fire being a banger

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

gently caress now a corner of my brain is trying to write a Factorio verse for that song

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Speaking of factorio music, I'd like some.

There's the classic trailer, which has a lovely soundtrack.

Now the main menu screen has some chill tunes playing against the backdrop of various scenes of the game. It's this I'd like more of. Simple instrumental music set to factory poo poo. Does it exist?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Count Roland posted:

Now the main menu screen has some chill tunes playing against the backdrop of various scenes of the game. It's this I'd like more of. Simple instrumental music set to factory poo poo. Does it exist?

this is the opposite of what you asked for but I'm posting it anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuxZ2u8-WXg

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Count Roland posted:

I quite like the music that gets added in Krastorio2. It fits the vibe of the original soundtrack quite well

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Count Roland posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaC0vNLdLvY

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I gotchu fam.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tangential but I hope the DLC gets some new music tracks too. It'd add a huge amount to the vibe of the planets if they each have their own soundtrack.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Count Roland posted:

flashing lights warning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izefYFR_Zg4

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oh geeze, I remember watching the original Newgrounds animation of that. Animation is definitely early flash, but the music holds up surprisingly well.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the correct factorio music is having merzbow playing in the background with someone else occasionally raising or lowering the volume.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

I still miss the old soundtrack they replaced kinda early on, thankfully someone preserved it in HD on soundcloud (and there's a mod that adds them back in): https://soundcloud.com/theterranastronaut/sets/original-factorio-playlist

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The Dwarf Fortress main song is a good one.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-401

New fff

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Looks really good. I'm excited to have even the Nauvis portion of my first expansion playthrough spiced up.

Credit to Earendel, he's taking on some unique tasks in ways that look quite promising.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Gorgeous to see those naturally generated paths, especially as an aesthetics-brained defender nut.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Nu-Nauvis is gonna look real good.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I've really enjoyed the planet devblogs in how they have a gameplay vision and are manipulating the terrain generation to support it while keeping it random. From those screenshots nauvis is going to have a lot of character in the update instead of just sorta random zones blending together.

Alien biomes looks like another mod that's gonna bite the dust with 2.0.

meowmeowmeowmeow fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 8, 2024

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Alien biomes looks like another mod that's gonna.bite the dust with 2.0.
If anything it's the opposite. In Earendel's SE dev blog he's going nuts in making the alien biomes even more weird.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Yeah if anything the new generation systems probably allow for even more control over what mods can generate.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Oh poo poo that looks good! I do wonder how much I'll personally want to mess with the biomes when playing through SA, seems like each planet has art design that works as a set and making some of them crazy might affect the cohesion. I am really excited to see how mods take advantage of the terrain generation and if/how they add additional planets to the vanilla set.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
This is like the apocryphal story of that guy who got a coding job, fixed one bug that had been bothering him for years, and then quit, except without the quitting. Dude is going ham.

So long as Earandel's more dramatic excesses can be reined in by the larger team he's a great talent. And if he wants to throw in some extra hooks so that the rest of us can better mod the game? That's a net win.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
"We need a plan to keep this guy from arguing about putting in thing that absolutely would not work. Let him overhaul the terrain generation! Sure!" :v:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I was a big hater of Wube hiring Earendel, but in reality it was a genius move. They got a guy who is a spergy hyperworker like Rseding91 who just can't bear to see things go unfixed/unimproved, and at the same time he's maybe the most mechanically ambitious modder, so he's providing pressure to treat opportunities for 2.0 mods to have amazing functionality.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Still unchecking that cliffs box. :colbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I believe it was removed so all you can do is turn the slider down.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

This is definitely going to make Nauvis more fun to move around. This new map generation is reminding me a lot of how the Satisfactory map looks top-down, with lots of natural trails serving as easy roads. I don't know if even with the extra flexibility they'll get it'll be feasible to make railways follow these contours, but it'll look so satisfying if you can.

I'd have still liked to see all this cool map generation impacting resources in some way, to make the biomes actually meaningful to gameplay beyond how many trees are there. But this is very good regardless.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Majere posted:

:same:

KillHour posted:

I believe it was removed so all you can do is turn the slider down.

:argh:

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

I'd have still liked to see all this cool map generation impacting resources in some way, to make the biomes actually meaningful to gameplay beyond how many trees are there. But this is very good regardless.

For all we know this could still be coming.

One thing I'd also really like to see is the player's activity having more of an impact on the world than just the requisite deforestation and removing props when concrete is plopped down. Wear down grassy terrain to dirt the more you walk over an area, make the land itself get dirtier as it absorbs pollution, etc. Chunks already track how much pollution they've absorbed so it probably isn't a huge stretch to have them change visually over time; water already does this.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Majere posted:

Unchecking the cliffs generation instead permanently maxes out frequency and length.

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

They said you can still switch back to the old terrain generator so maybe there's some hope

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The factorio devs are insane and every time I see a new FFF it just reinforces this. Absolute madlads.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rynoto posted:

Unchecking the cliffs generation instead permanently maxes out frequency and length.

I would expect this in Py but not base.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
It says "Cliffs" generation right there, if you don't want that you just get one infinitely long single Cliff! Right through the starting zone.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

In my current vanilla run not only are cliffs turned on but I'm not destroying any of them. I figure building around them will give my factory character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I kept cliffs on in Py and 300 hours in, I still don't have the explosives production chain finished.