Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

there's a drat wire just spooling out and dangling and dragging on the ground when this thing takes flight?? wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Arm the counter drones with scissors!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rad Russian posted:

French LGBT terrorists are expected to blow up several apartment buildings right before the election. Russian state TV will publish incriminating photos showing the base of terrorist operations - blueprints of the buildings next to a pile of stale baguettes and a copy of Sims 3.

You know it’s not authentic because there isn’t a layer of cigarette ash covering everything.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
"remember: no russian"

"BLYAAAAAAAT JENKIIIINNNSSS"

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Brought to you by the country where the tankers sit in the turret on top of un-shielded ammo! What could possibly go wrong!? EveryNothing!

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

The Lone Badger posted:

You know it’s not authentic because there isn’t a layer of cigarette ash covering everything.

Also the French wouldn't let begets go stale.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Dick Bastardly posted:

there's a drat wire just spooling out and dangling and dragging on the ground when this thing takes flight?? wtf

10km of fibre is going to either be very fragile or very heavy.

A bit of a tradeoff there on payload/fuel vs randomly loosing them when you snag the wire

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

OTOH it did let cousin Ivanovich offload the entire contents of his warehouse of lovely-grade fibre, so who’s being impractical here?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Lammasu posted:

I was looking up pictures of Swedish military and the royal guard uniform is bitching.

You should check out the modern Spanish Legion dress uniform.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Sweden: release the långdistansrobots.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Samovar posted:

You should check out the modern Spanish Legion dress uniform.

*looks up*
Wait, the Spanish military has a special division of male strippers?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

norp posted:

A bit of a tradeoff there on payload/fuel vs randomly loosing them when you snag the wire

it's an invitation to tug of war

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
It's just the TOW missile all over again

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I also have a design for an uninterceptable drone for the modern battlefield

I call it the paper airplane

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
Alexey "Fagot" Ivanov, a spetznaz captain was finally caught and died a slow death bleeding out from his rear end in a top hat after hit by an Ukranian drone.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Dick Bastardly posted:

Yeah this is how a bunch of anti tank missiles operate.

In the case of TOWs it lets you do neat/crazy poo poo like fire away from a target and then bank in so they have a harder time finding where the shot came from.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

norp posted:

Looking at it I’m going with fragile. Appears to be small diameter non-insulated fibre, which I guess makes sense since it’s going to be a one use item. They must have a system where it’s spooling out cable at the same rate as its movement, so they don’t need to worry about snags because there’s never tension in the cable. Seems to be a clever improvised system, though I imagine it adds a chunk of cost to the drone, so used in specific circumstances.

Ubik_Lives fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 8, 2024

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

It really cannot be overstated how big a deal this is (locally). Like, this was a major policy goal for nordic politicians in 1949 and even with the post-WWII European situation a pan-nordic defence alliance just could not be cemented, despite the best efforts of our greatest leaders. Like it was Gerhardsen's biggest regret and failure.

Now, Putin has done the loving impossible, and it's about time we order a 20 Gotland class submarines, a few hundred Gripens and a thousand liters milk and put them on the border with Russia.

gently caress Putin.

Its even crazier than that; Finnish YLE morning TV-show pointed out that this is first time since 1523 when all Nordic countries are at the same time part of the same alliance or union.

So Putin sure did manage to achieve something historical, thats given.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
St. Petersburg is Sverige

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

St. Petersburg is Sverige

Surely you mean Nevanlinna.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Dick Bastardly posted:

That is how many TOW missiles work. There was a wireless version made by Raytheon as well though.

I think there are some Spike misslies (Isreali missile system) that use a optical fiber too.

It can work just fine so long as you're careful about the flight path of the missile, or in this case drone, so that it doesn't get hung up on something.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The concept's been around for 80 years or so

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruhrstahl_X-4

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

EorayMel posted:

Airdrop a bunch of surstromming MREs to the Russian positions and you'll have all the soldiers surrendering or defecting within a week, tops

I’ve forwarded this post to The Hague for possible war crimes. :mad:

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

EorayMel posted:

Airdrop a bunch of surstromming MREs to the Russian positions and you'll have all the soldiers surrendering or defecting within a week, tops

did you say "defecting" or "defecating"?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Dick Bastardly posted:

the fact it can get caught on things is balanced out by the fact it can't be jammed.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
It's International Women's Day which is somewhat observed in the former Ostblok countries and among other traditions, male politicians annually miss the point and are sexist, creepy and so on.

This is also true for Russia, but they are adding some stale Nazi Children, Kitchen, Church flavor to the mix too

Putin Says Childbirth Is Women’s ‘Greatest Gift’ and ‘Purpose’ in Women’s Day Message

quote:

“You, dear women, are able to transform the world thanks to your beauty, wisdom and generous hearts, but, most importantly, thanks to the greatest gift that nature has given you — childbirth,” Putin said in a video address recorded at his official residence outside Moscow.

“The most important thing for every woman — no matter what career she chooses and what she is able to achieve in it — is family … [and] taking tireless care of children,” he added.

Don't ask about the domestic violence in Russia :ohno:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
also do not drink while pregnant

they need to pass the tests before they can make it to the front

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

also do not drink on March 8th.

Ftfy.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
the gently caress is going on in Russia..

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Conservative thought unburdened by the left.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Its a legacy thing from USSR. International women's day was one of those events that soviet system promoted to a major holiday, like May Day (International Workers' Day) to make new holidays to replace the major holidays observed by the previous regimes or by the west.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Lammasu posted:

I was looking up pictures of Swedish military and the royal guard uniform is bitching.

The Royal Guard is Sweden's standing penal bataljon.

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
If you get hit by a wire guided missile just follow the wire back to the enemy and adopt a firm stance and stern voice to assert dominance.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

EorayMel posted:

Airdrop a bunch of joose infused vodka minis to the Russian positions and you'll have all the soldiers buy baby grands or getting divorced within a week, tops

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1766080332984467841#m
:qq:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Der Kyhe posted:

Its a legacy thing from USSR. International women's day was one of those events that soviet system promoted to a major holiday, like May Day (International Workers' Day) to make new holidays to replace the major holidays observed by the previous regimes or by the west.

Rhetorically (at least), it was supposed to be about a celebration of women not being manacled into domestic or menial labour roles by tradition or capitalism, but instead being as men in the communist ideal, i.e. both being human, freed from the yoke of state oppression. Which I can certainly get behind.

It being metastisized into this perverted parody of the original purpose is just one more of the many repulsivities that this world has produced.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Soviet women who served in WWII would hide their medals and involvement or else they'd face harassment for obviously having been solders' whores.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

This is obviously fake, Ukraine fakes everything, from videos to photos to stats to mauled prisoners of war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Interesting that they put the shortest women next to him, and the line up to our right goes back as it gets farter down. Guessing those women were just a little too tall for that bucket of poo poo in the middle.