Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The movie's explicit on this:

"Don't spill it!" -- Stilgar

You can remember that because it's his only line that doesn't contain the words, "As written in the prophecy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it was good to flanderize Stilgar. he flanderized himself, that's what the turning into a creature of the lisan al-gaib entails

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I still haven't seen this, friends coming over tonight to re-watch the first one to prep for our IMAX 70mm journey soon.

But like, as a many time reader of the books this poo poo is SO WEIRD to me. Is this what it felt like when Mighty Mighty Bosstones got super popular and their hardcore fans were disillusioned?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4Jrz-frNLy/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

tik tok chicks saying may thy knife chip and shatter, what a crazy world to be living in right now

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
women are allowed to read books. even women who professionally pretend to be ditzes

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Admiralty Flag posted:

You can remember that because it's his only line that doesn't contain the words, "As written in the prophecy."

my biggest complaint with the movie is that with all the talk of prophecy surely they could slip "nothing is written" in there somewhere

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

women are allowed to read books. even women who professionally pretend to be ditzes

perhaps I was not clear enough that my post is not serious, listen only us true seasoned naibs are allowed to write poop jerky fanfiction and cast Arrested Development in Dune characters. My precious fandom!

edit: butthurt Bosstones truefans were the height of cringe in the 90s

kiimo fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 8, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

perhaps I was not clear enough that my post is not serious, listen only us true seasoned naibs are allowed to write poop jerky fanfiction and cast Arrested Development in Dune characters. My precious fandom!

i spit upon your desk, then. a gift of my body's moisture

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Alucard posted:

https://collider.com/dune-movies-butlerian-jihad/

Brian Herbert sockpuppet account detected

This is dumb, but I do wish the had kept the idea of Paul being trained as a mentat. Makes his prescience seem a little less magical since it adds a computational element. Also I just want more mentats onscreen since we didn't get any more Thufir Hawat. :colbert:

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Dr Mobius up in here.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Admiralty Flag posted:

He was so frustrated when she threw up, lol

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Bubbacub posted:

This is dumb, but I do wish the had kept the idea of Paul being trained as a mentat. Makes his prescience seem a little less magical since it adds a computational element. Also I just want more mentats onscreen since we didn't get any more Thufir Hawat. :colbert:

Sure we did. All those Harkonnen chanting around the giant map of the planet were mentats.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
We thank you, Jessica, for the gift of your body’s moisture. We accept it in the spirit with which it is given.

*Vomits* :barf:

When Stilgar spit, did he assume that the palace would reclaim the water, same as a sietch? Was he wasting spit as a sign of respect, or literally trying to pay tribute with/transfer ownership of water?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Well, I would imagine that if Stilgar was giving Jessica poo poo for crying at the pool of the departed, him spitting on the floor was the highest sign of respect to the Duke.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Cimber posted:

Well, I would imagine that if Stilgar was giving Jessica poo poo for crying at the pool of the departed, him spitting on the floor was the highest sign of respect to the Duke.

He was looking for a coffee pot but couldn’t find it.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Cimber posted:

Sure we did. All those Harkonnen chanting around the giant map of the planet were mentats.

But I want a cuddly bearded mentat who looks like a big teddy bear :(

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

YoursTruly posted:

We thank you, Jessica, for the gift of your body’s moisture. We accept it in the spirit with which it is given.

When Stilgar spit, did he assume that the palace would reclaim the water, same as a sietch? Was he wasting spit as a sign of respect, or literally trying to pay tribute with/transfer ownership of water?

For a Fremen this is like tipping

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YoursTruly posted:

It was a sign of respect. Spending water for no purpose as a sign of honor. There's a whole thing where everyone else assumes he was insulting the Duke but Leto realized that, no, it was an honorable gift.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
idaho tells him, in both book and movies

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It did seem uncharacteristic that Jessica couldn't stop herself from barfing in a film where she also has the self control to neutralize poison on a molecular level.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

moths posted:

It did seem uncharacteristic that Jessica couldn't stop herself from barfing in a film where she also has the self control to neutralize poison on a molecular level.

Sometimes the worm's gift is too large to swallow.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

moths posted:

Ralf al-adab, the vomit that demands to be expelled

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

moths posted:

Even the strongest training in the universe can't overcome morning sickness.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

moths posted:

yeah this is the one problem I have with both parts, which are the "jokes." it's like someone (read: a producer or studio executive) said "it's too serious! there need to be jokes for the 18-25 demo! put in some jokes or the zoomers will fall asleep!" and they put the worst offenders in the first five minutes of each of them: gurney's "I am smiling :mad:" and jessica's barf. they are both completely mood-killing, unfunny, and nearly unjustifiable on a character level—neither of those characters has a reason to say those things except to provide comic relief for the fourth wall

I can imagine the conversation between villeneuve and the studio going something like that between mozart and the king in amadeus. "too many notes somber vibes"

kalel fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 8, 2024

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

and yes I know the spitting joke in part 1 is from the book. it also happens to be the only funny joke in the film

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Cimber posted:

Even the strongest training in the universe can't overcome morning sickness.

Which is kind funny since BG are supposed to be able to control their bodies down to the cellular level

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

kalel posted:

and yes I know the spitting joke in part 1 is from the book. it also happens to be the only funny joke in the film

Isn't that the only joke in the film

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
"I'm not the messiah..."

"i'm a very naughty boy"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

kalel posted:

"Desert Power"

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

You didn’t laugh at Gurney playing on his baliset a song about what a shithole Arrakis is?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dune 2 definitely has a lot more humor and some if it's even good! But yeah the vomiting bit is the one spurious Comic Book Guy complaint I had

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

in fairness the rest of both films have less offensive jokes that are much more in-character, and some of them are even pretty good. it's just that the films each start with the worst one. the first scenes of each film do a great job establishing the Vibes that carry throughout the rest of the runtime, and then those jokes come in like nails on chalkboard

kalel fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 8, 2024

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

RedTeam posted:

"I'm not the messiah..."

"i'm a very naughty boy"
There were strong The Life Of Brian vibes in the scene where he denied he was the Lisan Al'Gaib, and the would-be believers immediately declared that the denial was clear proof that he was.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

Why did the Harko soldiers keep offering Rabban advice, when it invariably resulted in him snapping their necks? Is the officer-murder a recent thing caused by the stress of the war, and he'd been an okay boss til then?
Also the new "Worst non-harem-related Dune Job" Award goes to the harkonnen navigator who gets lenses glued to his face, or the harkonnen monks (?) who have to keep chanting (?) to make their war-room hologram map work (?)
Mentatsplaining.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Getting your neck snapped or your skull bashed in beats the hell out of spending a lifetime in a pain amplifier. Rabban's obviously hosed, and they know they'd go down with him.
The mentats are playing the short game.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
mentats are expensive. you can't just throw them in the garbage and get new ones.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
You know, one thing I always loved about Dunk was how Emperor is the Shaddam THE FOURTH, like you have to be unfathomably ancient to have fourth of his name where entire universe has like kajillion names

It's not TOO random high numbers like five billion years into the future kinda way, just perfect amount

I FUKKEN LOVE DUNK

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
french monarchy only lasted 1 millennium and they got to louis 18

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

By the way, the original Turkish translation of Dune in the 90s (yeah it took that long) was an absolute gem and the translators did an OUTSTANDING job

Hayt is called Nefr because the Turkish word for Hate is Nefret so it fits perfectly. Krysknife is Hancer-i Figan, which is -rougly- Dagger of Wailing

Herberts religious and cultural concepts translate extremely smoothly to Turkish that the old trabslations are still considered superior despite many new translations

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Okay, which one of you is this:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4FNCfCO_s2/?igsh=NGNvN3lqaXd5Z2Ru

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tree Bucket posted:

Yes. I spent way too long trying to work out what the Humidis version of sandworms and spice miners would be, until I realised that's just like whales and boats

That was basically Avatar 2.