Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Tsitsikovas posted:

Modest Mouse but they refuse to play float on, only stuff from lonesome crowded west

Man I still love Modest Mouse but all their new stuff is terrible (everything from the last 20 years)

They're the Simpsons of music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

i say swears online posted:

greatest super bowl halftime medley of all time:

fake plastic trees -> karma police -> high & dry

the national anthem bitch

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Nonsense posted:

Mexico loves the NFL, Eurofail does not.

fat morrissey halftime show

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

aw frig aw dang it posted:

yeah same. idk which 90s people were living through that they're describing this way. maybe they were literal children tho? I guess Barney was bullshit if you were 8

Rock and rap music went edgier in the 90s and was eventually subsumed by the record labels, but pop music remained relatively clean and overproduced. In the late 90s pop industry machine reached peaked efficiently and was covertly subsumed by the Swedes. By the year 2000 music industry revenues hit a historic high which has never been seen again, billboard charts were dominated by people who didn't play instruments, which pissed off a certain demographic (ie men).

At least grunge and rap could pass itself off as indie and countercultural, but the pop music was increasingly being seen as manufactured even in the eyes of the fans. There were now reality shows about producers putting together the next idol group by seeking photogenic young people who could sing whatever songs given to them, outright exposing the business, when decades earlier it was borderline scandalous that the Monkees were assembled the same way

By the year 2000 there was a clearly segmented audience, part of which consisted of males who saw pop as the assembly-line product that it was and felt smart for calling it out (even though that industry itself couldn't make it any clearer). If the album had cuss words then you could pretend it was pissing off some studio heads somewhere, even though those bands were part of the same machine.

It might have gotten stale even by then except 9/11 made it once again controversial to flip off the government so that angle got a few more years of life. Around 2004 the wheels fell of the 2k pop train for reasons I could only speculate on. Television had a strangehold on music promotion, maybe when broadband took off the kids started spending more time in front of the computer instead of the television? Or maybe the pop genre had gotten stale so producers had to align themselves behind punk and emo acts, idk

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

remember that skeleton they found in pompeii that was jerkin off lol

I choose to believe that was the infamous Secundus, the serial pooper

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Al! posted:

i was just thinking this morning, has there ever been a greater cultural wasteland in the united states than the early bush years?

it's pretty bad right now

Al! posted:

neutral milk hotel singing about his sexual fantasies about anne frank to a stunned stadium of jets fans

lol that album sucks so much

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023
The starting point should always be the telecommunications act of 96. All that media deregulation did hell on pop culture at large. As everyone started merging with each other, the manufacturing process started getting streamlined, every stop accounted for and unified. Its why production sounded the way it did - that saccharine pop music got the criticism is funny since all popular music sounded like rear end, not only the boy bands etc. Country, rock, rap, all was produced within the same roadmap. Make it sound a certain way, so it can play in certain locations (malls, tv and film, super powered FM radio) for maximum effectiveness, so we can sell the most tickets in the largest venues effectively. "Eventually we will just own everything," which is where we've been for the last 10+ years with livenation. Its fun to remember for example that once upon a time, iHeartMedia and Livenation were the same company (clear channel)

Anyway it was a process that began then, in the mid 90s. The internet coupled with 2008 threw a wrench in the whole system to be fair, which led to the little art resurgence we had then, which is why the early 00s stands out so hard too. But had 2008 not happened, the "early 00s shittiness" wouldve been the "entire 00s shittiness" and so on.

edit:

tristeham posted:

it's pretty bad right now

and since all the "new internet stuff" consolidated itself, were back to where we were 20 years ago.

Tsitsikovas has issued a correction as of 17:44 on Mar 8, 2024

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
when did the internet break completely? it was chatgpt that killed it right

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Al! posted:

seems to be working for me rn

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I was looking up a Unix related question last night and the sheer number of websites with "articles" that are clearly man pages regurgitated is wild.

to be fair, one of them told me what I wanted I guess.

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

Al! posted:

Funny here, its also a long process. My "beginning of the end" is facebook releasing an API, but that's probably some temporal bias on my end. ChatGPT though is the already leaky rusted and cracked dam finally breaking, complete deluge of poo poo. The dam though was built on google buying youtube, netflix eating everyone's lunch, spotify buying gimlet, yahoo buying everything only to drown it in a creek, and on and on.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
yeah to answer seriously I think Facebook's Pivot to Video poo poo killed a lot of the more entertaining stuff growing out of the internet, and now GPT seems to be killing the practical value of it as well.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

still very funny that website load times haven't gotten any quicker in twenty years while the average internet speed is a million times faster. love my bloated behemoth of a communication platform

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

1stGear posted:

Cramming Harrison Ford in was kind of lame but oh well, that's the fate of all the old popular stuff Ford was in.

Everything about the Joi storyline was basically perfect. That one woman calling in drone strikes while getting her nails done is something I think about a lot as well.

the what storyline?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
being someone who's just trying to like "make funny videos" on YouTube and having to deal with their content moderation system seems like it's an absolute nightmare

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Man I still love Modest Mouse but all their new stuff is terrible (everything from the last 20 years)

Yeah as I get older I start to appreciate more and more the groups that said "hey we made 3-5 really good albums and don't really have much more to try... I think we're done"

You either need to basically re-invent your group periodically or go out there and do a different thing.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

also twitch outsmarted all the adblockers for it and it's basically ruined my life

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jeff Bezos is an evil man

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

i say swears online posted:

also twitch outsmarted all the adblockers for it and it's basically ruined my life

Ive been trying to use TTV LOL PRO but its so hit or miss, and the devs admit as much. And when it misses it just breaks twitch entirely.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tsitsikovas posted:

Ive been trying to use TTV LOL PRO but its so hit or miss, and the devs admit as much. And when it misses it just breaks twitch entirely.

yeah my latest try just led to a black screen and the lil spinning wheel permanently so I just uninstalled them and deal with eight minutes an hour of commercials like the bad old days are back

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I thought Strangers to Ourselves was a lot better than We Were Dead before the Ship even Sank, that one is their worst album for sure

Haven't checked out the latest yet

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

good news was the last time I heard from them

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

oscars predictions

Best Picture
Oppenheimer

Best Director
Christopher Nolan

Best Actress
Lily Gladstone

Best Actor
Cillian Murphy

Best Supporting Actress
Da’Vine Joy Randolph

Best Supporting Actor
Robert Downey Jr.

Best Adapted Screenplay
American Fiction

Best Original Screenplay
Anatomy of a Fall

Best International Feature
The Zone of Interest

Best Animated Feature
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

Best Documentary Feature
20 Days in Mariupol

Best Cinematography
Oppenheimer

BestFilm Editing
Oppenheimer

Best Sound
Oppenheimer

Best Costume Design
Poor Things

Best Makeup and Hair
Maestro

Best Original Score
Oppenheimer

Best Production Design
Poor Things

Best Visual Effects
Godzilla Minus One

Best Original Song
"What Was I Made For?" - Billie Eilish and Finneas O'Connell (Barbie)

Best Live Action Short
The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar

Best Animated Short
WAR IS OVER! Inspired by the Music of John and Yoko

Best Documentary Short
The ABCs of Book Banning

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

do you really think they'd dare goose-egg Barbie after what happened with the nominations though

e: oh right Original Song, yeah that should satisfy everyone

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

oscars predictions

Best Picture
Blink-182

Best Director
Tom Delonge

Best Actress
Tom Delonge

Best Actor
Tom Delonge

Best Supporting Actress
Tom Delonge

Best Supporting Actor
Tom Delonge

Best Adapted Screenplay
Blink-182

Best Original Screenplay
Blink-182

Best International Feature
Blink-182

Best Animated Feature
Blink-182

Best Documentary Feature
Blink-182

Best Cinematography
Blink-182

BestFilm Editing
Blink-182

Best Sound
Blink-182

Best Costume Design
Blink-182

Best Makeup and Hair
Blink-182

Best Original Score
Blink-182

Best Production Design
Blink-182

Best Visual Effects
Blink-182

Best Original Song
"What's My Age Again?" - Blink-182

Best Live Action Short
Blink-182

Best Animated Short
Blink-182

Best Documentary Short
Blink-182

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

What's My Age Again wasn't a Tom song though

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

loquacius posted:

do you really think they'd dare goose-egg Barbie after what happened with the nominations though

e: oh right Original Song, yeah that should satisfy everyone

might win in costume and/or production design

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

might win in costume and/or production design

no, poor things has those

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

might watch this tonight

e: I also got a shitload of Paul Schrader movies last night tho so I might throw one of those on

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

well, that's what i guessed in my predictions, but they seem like barbie's best chance for an upset

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

e: I also got a shitload of Paul Schrader movies last night tho so I might throw one of those on

make sure to watch Blue Collar and Light Sleeper.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

tristeham posted:

make sure to watch Blue Collar and Light Sleeper.

Light Sleeper is first on my list, then I'm probably just gonna go chronologically. I'm familiar with his big hits and a couple of the smaller ones, now I just gotta fill in the gaps. There's a couple premises among these that sound real fuckin wacky so I'm excited to see how he handles that stuff.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

might watch this tonight

huh, guess it's on Hulu now. Cool

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

loquacius posted:

I just talked about 2000s Super Bowl halftime shows in another thread like last week and have all my takes lined up. The Strokes would probably be the best bet; Jack White would own but would never agree to do it bc he's like living on a farm raising goats or something these days

MCR halftime show would be the exact polar opposite of the Bright Eyes one and would be fuckin sick

Barenaked Ladies would also crush it but are simply too Canadian for a Super Bowl

My dream show would be Ben Gibbard doing some Death Cab and some Postal Service but I am keenly aware nobody else in the world remembers his name or what bands he was in

what was the consensus on the rolling stones halftime show

remember that youre in cspam so plz appreciate that im expecting a response to incorporate a sense of exhausted jokerfied irony about the super bowl taking place in the most culturally significant musical city of the twentieth century importing its show from english copycats

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

what was the consensus on the rolling stones halftime show

remember that youre in cspam so plz appreciate that im expecting a response to incorporate a sense of exhausted jokerfied irony about the super bowl taking place in the most culturally significant musical city of the twentieth century importing its show from english copycats

Oh, I meant potential modern halftime shows featuring 2000s musical acts to appeal to the currently-middle-aged millennial audience

Arctic Monkeys could also do a decent job while we're talking about English copycats though

or Gorillaz

but to answer your question I have no memory of it despite very clearly remembering McCartney the year prior and Prince the following year so they can't have done TOO well

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
is detroit the most culturally significant musical city of the twentieth century? it's up there but nashville, new york, LA, and new orleans have to be very high up as well

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

They did a big Motown tribute in 1998 because that was the 40th anniversary of something Motown-related but that Super Bowl wasn't physically in Detroit

e: and Diana Ross headlined in 1996 but that one was in Arizona

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

What if the super bowl was goth? Really freak out the normies

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

loquacius posted:

What's My Age Again wasn't a Tom song though

he helped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

What if the super bowl was goth? Really freak out the normies

yeah I already SAID a My Chemical Romance halftime show would be fuckin awesome, keep up :colbert:

e: I am changing my mind on Gorillaz though bc they'd have to, like, put a big cartoon on a big screen and that sounds even more embarrassing for everyone involved than having Dan Akroyd and Jim Belushi perform in character as the Blues Brothers like they did in 1997