Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Imagine inventing a fantastical sci universe and naming a guy Duncan Idaho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think the first two books in the series are great and if you like those would recommend reading Children and God Emperor even though especially GE gets really weird and both are weaker than the first two. 5 & 6 are fine especially compared to every single other book that came out after Frank's death but not really necessary to read either.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

smoobles posted:

Maurice Wisconsin seems wrong though.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smoobles posted:

This raises the tantalising possibility that Hannah Montana, Alexis Texas, and Johnny Utah are all pledged to House Atreides in-universe.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Failed Imagineer posted:

This raises the tantalising possibility that Hannah Montana, Alexis Texas, and Johnny Utah are all pledged to House Atreides in-universe.

You left out George Washington.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Monica Bellucci posted:

You left out George Washington.

That slave driving cracker was Harkonnen to the bone

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I'm still laughing at the casting of Walkin. "Muuu--AAUWWW--DIB!"

Like... was it really because DENIS just saw the Fatboy Slim video a lot in 2001?

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Bright Bart posted:

Really creeped out at all the press outlets who are calling Feyd-Rautha 'hot' and 'sexy'. I am do not find many men or women or anything sexy, so that might be part of it. And I could be kink shaming. But I don't think it's that.

Get you a hairless, deathly pale barely-human looking guy who dresses like the grim reaper, talks in a mezzo-soprano with a wrench stuck in the windpipe, and loves nothing more than murder? That's our type now?

The actor is hot. But the character he plays isn't lol

Don’t forget his cannibalism, too.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I can't imagine finding Feyd-Rautha hot or sexy in this tbh, he looks like if Jesse Eisenberg was dipped in a vat of bleach (I guess people are into that).

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
Austin Butler definitely has a lot of screen presence/star power that he brings to the role. “Yet another pale evil bald guy” is not the most intriguing character on the page, but I think Butler manages to make it pretty interesting. There’s always something in his eyes that draws you to him. So yeah, I kinda get it.

Walken was a real letdown for me. His casting was so weird but then I thought, well, the emperor is kinda a non-entity in the book, so maybe Denis has a strong take. The emperor as an ancient reptilian gangster or something like that. But in the movie - I dunno, I don’t even know what the vision for that character was. He’s just kinda there.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I can't imagine finding Feyd-Rautha hot or sexy in this tbh, he looks like if Jesse Eisenberg was dipped in a vat of bleach (I guess people are into that).

People who grew up watching "Powder" getting something awakened in them when lovely Feyd shows up

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Lobster Henry posted:

Austin Butler definitely has a lot of screen presence/star power that he brings to the role. “Yet another pale evil bald guy” is not the most intriguing character on the page, but I think Butler manages to make it pretty interesting. There’s always something in his eyes that draws you to him. So yeah, I kinda get it.

Walken was a real letdown for me. His casting was so weird but then I thought, well, the emperor is kinda a non-entity in the book, so maybe Denis has a strong take. The emperor as an ancient reptilian gangster or something like that. But in the movie - I dunno, I don’t even know what the vision for that character was. He’s just kinda there.

Comedic relief? People were laughing whenever he said anything :shrug:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Walken looked like he showed up on set, got the script the same day, received no directions, definitely did no makeup and just read his lines. My partner thinks it’s on brand that the Emperor is this ungroomed bum but he just looks so out of place in this universe where everyone looks wildly stylized.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Vegetable posted:

Walken looked like he showed up on set, got the script the same day, received no directions, definitely did no makeup and just read his lines. My partner thinks it’s on brand that the Emperor is this ungroomed bum but he just looks so out of place in this universe where everyone looks wildly stylized.

I thought Walken was pretty good? I think his “plain” style (although the Sardaukar had a heavy aesthetic) was a deliberate choice by Deni to differentiate him and his House from the Harkennons, which I think worked. The real/main villains of the movies are the Harkennons, not the emperor—he’s secondary. The fusion of the Giger/Nazi aesthetic, cannibalism, casual murder of subordinates, gladiator stuff, genocide of Fremen, etc was meant to signify there is nothing redeemable about the harkennon culture and society at all.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I had no problem with Walken but if pressed I would have to rank him last of the three performances we've gotten of the Emperor (as with Baron Harkonen, the best might actually be in the 2000 miniseries, Giancarlo Giannini rules)

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

smoobles posted:

Imagine inventing a fantastical sci universe and naming a guy Härkönen

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I love the names. All the names. Princess Irulan rolls off the tongue so nicely.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Tleilaxu is a god-tier cool sci-fi name and it's not even in the first book at all.

Edit - barely in the first book. The Baron orders a new mentat from them after Piter dies.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 8, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

smoobles posted:

Imagine inventing a fantastical sci universe and naming a guy Kerswatch Haberdatchery

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Messiah is just ad nauseam on the themes of Dune and not really that good, just like the other sequels, they're kind of meh. Dune is a classic, you can skip everything else.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The few people in my theater at the watch laughed everytime stilgar did the "and this is why he's the messiah!!!" thing.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Anybody got a clip of Gurney playing his song “Arrakis is a loving shithole” ?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

https://youtu.be/YQTn1QxCZ2s?si=gmE21PRkvZ8dbMz_

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Villeneuve making this space isis deal sound like a good idea.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I think the pro move for the Dune sequels is find a good plot synopsis and read that instead. There are some cool ideas in there but the books themselves are not actually very engaging to read. God-Emperor is the worst about this – some super interesting stuff in there, but not much actually happens, and it's talky even by Herbert's standards. The concepts of Leto II, the Golden Path, etc. are fun to think about but I have a hard time recommending that anyone who isn't a hardcore sci-fi fan sit through the 1000+ pages of the first 3 sequels to get there.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How does flying work? The baron floating around and the goons jumping up the mountain? Is there a reason why people aren't just floating over the sand?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Boris Galerkin posted:

How does flying work? The baron floating around and the goons jumping up the mountain? Is there a reason why people aren't just floating over the sand?

pretty much all the sci fi weirdness is hand waved away by something called the "Holtzmann Effect." the floaty things are called Suspensors. i assume the batteries would run down if you used them all the time.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The same technology ultimately behind the shields, called the "Holtzmann effect" in the books. Like with the whole "shield and lasgun makeshift nuke" thing, you kind of just have to assume the technologies are not super common and mostly reserved for the very powerful and their hand-picked few.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's also worm catnip so I imagine it wouldn't be a hot idea to just go floating around all the time alerting every worm in the vicinity

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Interesting geography: the vast majority of the action in Dune happens inside this line:

Here's the 60th parallel on Earth:

Assuming the Palmaries of the South are also at the 60th parallel, we can calculate the distance as 1/3 the circumference of the planet (60 north to 60 south) and find the size of Arrakis as having a radius of 1,758 km. This would make Arrakis roughly the size of Earth's moon. This sounds too small so lol map.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
God-Emperor of Dune was adapted in an episode of The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah honestly before this film I never fully appreciated just how much the planet’s geography is divided into the colonized north and the ????? south.

The board game has a similar radial top-down view with the polar sink at the center.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's really not an uncommon thing with colonial dynamics, too.

And someone said that after the whole thing with Paul first riding the worm, sandworm travel is then depicted like catching the bus- that's because for Fremen, it is. While obviously extremely risky and never completely safe at the best of times, riding the worms is pretty clearly the most convenient and viable way to travel around Arrakis- they're extremely fast, pretty simple to control once you know the trick, and they're everywhere where there's deep enough sand. All you need is protective gear that all Fremen carry anyway, some hooks and a thumper (which are probably cheap even for Fremen) and you can go anywhere in the desert.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Denis Villeneuve apologizes for failing to slip a ‘tabarnak’ into Dune: Part Two

“I asked Josh Brolin to use the word at one point and it didn’t work out. It doesn’t live well in the mouth of an American.”

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And someone said that after the whole thing with Paul first riding the worm, sandworm travel is then depicted like catching the bus- that's because for Fremen, it is.

It doesn't make it less funny.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It doesn't make it less funny.

And that's probably on purpose!

The complaints about the jokes are kinda funny given imo they do dovetail fairly well with the book's sense of humour. If anything the movies tone it way down, Baron Harkonnen is practically the comic relief, with the Harkonnens being so hosed up they're hard to take seriously. It doesn't help I pictured him as Dr Weird, maybe.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The lack of time skip does mean we lose the funniest bit in the book, where Paul learns his son was killed and he turns to Chani and goes “what’s-his-face died, so you better start poppin’ out some more”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Liked this well enough. Did feel like it was missing some scenes between the battle starting and Paul walking over to the emperor. The start of that battle was fan-tastic, but then it just cuts to him walking up to the emp and barely anyone challenges him. Resolution of him just stabbing Skarsgard felt incredibly underwhelming, particularly given the emporer is the one that puts him on the ground for some reason? Maybe that was intentional, but his defeat of his enemies was such a quick turnaround.

That said, hard to argue the time wasn't better spent with the really fun duel scene.

Profound disappointment there won't be more scenes of slug-Skarsgard floating around in a goth night slip.