Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Exosuit is a lot of fun, rockets melt chargers. It apparently can't squash hunters for some dumb reason though. Lately I've taken to just running with the orbital precision strike for anti-charger duty. The fast call-down time helps a lot. Basically have to kite the charger a little bit and chuck the strike where it will be after a charge and it works consistently well, the 90 sec cooldown makes it a real workhorse stratagem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

J posted:

I just got this game and it's really fun once I got the hang of the controls. I'm either misunderstanding the UI or running into a bug (:haw:) though, before mission launch when you're selecting gear and stratagems it always tells me I don't have any stratagems selected and that I need to select some to start the mission when I click the ready button. Then I basically have to go back and forth into and out of the menu a few times and eventually it magically lets me ready up even though I had strategems equipped the entire time. Am I missing something?

I've never had that problem and never heard of anyone else having it, so if you really have all your strategems selected then I'm not sure what's going there.

SHISHKABOB posted:

As an aside, I remembered you can always hit q to tag something for its range.

Anyone know the controller equivalent? Or is that just standard marking of things?

ninjewtsu posted:

Do people actually use the flamethrower? I tried it for a few missions after the 50% damage buff and it just seems awful, the only impressive thing about it was its ability to make me quickly burn to death if I later dodge into the fire hazards it makes everywhere (which seem to do almost no damage to enemies!). The bypass armor thing sounds cool but its damage is still so poo poo that it really just does not matter, you can't just stand there and spray something for 10 seconds without dying. I tried doing more bursty play to get my dodges in while letting the DoT burn enemies to death and I'm not entirely convinced that an enemy catching fire is anything more than visual flair. I just could not find any redeeming qualities in the thing, it always made my life much harder and in the vast majority of scenarios I think I would have killed stuff faster by swapping to a dry primary I'd have to reload before shooting.

It turns out "slowly cook enemies and create hazard areas you can't enter" is the exact opposite of what I want any time I am close enough to an enemy to use the flamethrower. Is there some trick or mindset shift I need to make to make it not a waste of a stratagem slot? I only used it against the bots when it seems like it'd maybe be more useful vs bugs, so there's that for me to consider. but man unless someone's going to tell me that bugs have a +200% damage from fire modifier I'm just not seeing it.

I use it very often, only with bugs of course. Honestly I use it sparingly. If there are spewers around I generally forego it, but it is good against chargers and all other bugs provided you're in good position with the mass of them in front of you. It can kill chargers with one or two lengthy focus fires on and under its legs. Less than one canister. And it can absolutely melt a breach before the bugs can do anything.

If you kite the bugs into a nice column chasing you it can be good there too, but I think the main key is not to use it like a primary and only in specific situations.

LazyMaybe posted:

for the record I know I also didn't figure this out, but that's because I believed you fuckers.
I am going to hold this over the heads of everyone who was catastrophizing about railgun nerfs forever

the shots it takes to strip charger leg armor didn't even change you just hold unsafe shots a little longer

I don't believe this, or maybe it's another ps5 player thing. I did two completely unsafe shots (yes, to death) as an experiment, hit the leg both times and the armor didn't break

Astroniomix posted:

Unless you shot them you might not have fully agro'd them in which case they were investigating something they think they saw. Non-patrol enemies do also seem to return to where they started if they completely lose sight of the player.

Bot detection is a bit funky and devastators in particular appear to never lose sight of the player even if you break LOS with terrain.

Enemies can essentially hear you as well, even when not firing so breaking los if you're too close won't do anything.

LazyMaybe posted:

after my realization about how the AMR sight is aligned, I am rapidly becoming a first person aim andy. especially on bot missions

I'm full first person all the time. It has some downsides, but helps me aim on controller much better and just feels nice to me

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Breaker spray and pray worth using at all since the buff?

It's alright tbh. I'm not a big fan but I'd say it's around where the breaker is just with slightly different characteristics. Before it couldn't even break eggs lol so at least it can do that now. I always fired the breaker on semi, spray on full auto is definitely the way to go.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

.Z. posted:

Have someone on the team bring the energy shield emplacement.

drat that's a good shout.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Would be nice if I could buy the drat mech.

To that end can you throw stratagems while in the mech like in HD1?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

DarkDobe posted:

To that end can you throw stratagems while in the mech like in HD1?

Nope. Gotta hop out to call strats in

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

too bad. the strategem ejector on the mech in hd1 was really funny

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
I finally managed to buy the exosuit stratagem by spamming it three times. Now I can call in three suits!

.Z. posted:

Have someone on the team bring the energy shield emplacement.
I tried this since it also "works" on Automaton tanks and sticks on top of it.

... unfortunately with exosuits it just smashes right through and blows up the suit lol

Exodee fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 8, 2024

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

explosivo posted:

drat that's a good shout.

Yes but then someone has to get out of their mech instead of just daka daka

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I've been crashing mid mission like crazy :smith:

edit: Someone took my ammo backpack from the pod and when I just stared at them they dropped it. Then I crashed again.

Black Noise fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 8, 2024

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I wonder what's gonna happen to Angels Venture after the timer pops.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oh cool, it's now just a regular regular planet that I can shoot bugs on. Sweet

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
You can stand on bug breeches in the exosuit and get a bunch of free kills against the small bugs

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Apparently the Exosuits can potentially blow themselves up if you aim too far to the right and fire a rocket because the rocket arm ends up pointed at the main body.

Lmao holy poo poo that's what was happening whenever I used it. My extraction strat is using the jetpack to get to a highpoint and just raining eagle strikes and grenades on everything that approaches. I called in the mech on two missions to try it out as a semi-mobile turret and I'd just randomly blow the gently caress up and ragdoll halfway across the map and I had no idea why. Good to know I just can't turn to the right

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Is the game overall much more difficult than it was pre-patch? I used to be able to reliably clear level 5 (and sometimes 6) missions, but I'm currently at about 3-4 depending on how carefully I'm playing.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

blastron posted:

Is the game overall much more difficult than it was pre-patch? I used to be able to reliably clear level 5 (and sometimes 6) missions, but I'm currently at about 3-4 depending on how carefully I'm playing.

The patch made everything crazier in terms of spawns for lower difficulties. I was running 3 on the mech planet last night trying to find an abandoned mech and found a group of like 100 bots just idling in a big clearing. Theres more patrols, breaches spawn more, and enemy difficulty is higher for lower difficulties. I didn't notice much difference in the 7 to 9 difficulties but I only cleared an op on 9, played 1 quickplay mission on 8, and joined a friends in progress 7 and they seemed samey?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The flaw is so obvious too when you look at the placement of the launcher. :allears:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

blastron posted:

You can only read it in the Z button pop ups on your bridge, but they have also added whole paragraphs of "By the way, the bugs/robots are so mad about you winning that they are doubling their spawns efforts" for the last few major orders now.

So a combination of "We have rebalanced that thing people were crying was too easy to win" patch notes, and "Deliberate dungeon master sabotage"

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I'm also having a weird issue where I can't skip the intro movie and I get this spinning loading symbol in the top right instead. I know you need to press escape but I get trapped in this movie.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Black Noise posted:

I'm also having a weird issue where I can't skip the intro movie and I get this spinning loading symbol in the top right instead. I know you need to press escape but I get trapped in this movie.

That's the game failing to connect to the server

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

them thinking it would take 4 more days to liberate the planet with the mech suits is so funny.

they really need to hire someone whose job is "make better guesses about how things will happen" cause so far they are like 0--10 in guessing how the playerbase will react to things.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

WoodrowSkillson posted:

them thinking it would take 4 more days to liberate the planet with the mech suits is so funny.

they really need to hire someone whose job is "make better guesses about how things will happen" cause so far they are like 0--10 in guessing how the playerbase will react to things.

They have that guy

He's being wrecked by understimating the attachment of gamers to mech suits

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Bland posted:

That's the game failing to connect to the server

Happened to me too and another million players I suppose, mostly when servers are too busy

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

DarkDobe posted:

it unlocks at lvl 25 for purchase unless theres something im missing

also this game has definitely gotten buggier in the last week, im getting a new one today where the end mission stats screen on the super destroyers is skipped and it turns my screen grey

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Someone recommended deleting \AppData\Roaming\Arrowhead\Helldivers2\user_settings.config , and that worked for me

However, it's almost certainly just that i got lucky after doing that rather than it being causal

Worf posted:

also this game has definitely gotten buggier in the last week, im getting a new one today where the end mission stats screen on the super destroyers is skipped and it turns my screen grey

It's purchasable, but buying it doesn't work because the servers are choked. Apparently, people spamming the Buy Mech button is part of the server issue right now, lol.

The 'no stats' thing is also a symptom of server choking.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Black Noise posted:

edit: Someone took my ammo backpack from the pod and when I just stared at them they dropped it. Then I crashed again.

Dumb question but how do you drop a thing?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Worf posted:

People who are managing to get into the game while the servers are on fire are surprised that attempting to buy the thing results in it not actually buying it. I've heard if you try it like 5-6 times it should work though.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

explosivo posted:

People who are managing to get into the game while the servers are on fire are surprised that attempting to buy the thing results in it not actually buying it. I've heard if you try it like 5-6 times it should work though.

After 15 tries it goes on a lockdown for 30 seconds. So no, trying 5-6 times is not a guarantee, lol.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

BadLlama posted:

Dumb question but how do you drop a thing?

On PC you press and hold the X key and it pulls up a radial menu. On ps5 I think you hold down on the d pad?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I think the mech could use about eight more missiles but oh my god the gatling is fun

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Musluk posted:

After 15 tries it goes on a lockdown for 30 seconds. So no, trying 5-6 times is not a guarantee, lol.

Didn't say it was, servers seem hosed in general so it's not surprising to hear it's letting some people buy it if they retry it and other people not.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Black Noise posted:

On PC you press and hold the X key

ooooh

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

This is very key strat, if you got the super samples or a bunch of regular samples drop them at extract so you don't end up in a situation where you die and leave them in the middle of a massive enemy formation. Will save you so much headache to not have to worry about running back to some completed objective just to get the precious.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

even though i cant play this game because the servers are broken n dead right now for me, its still nice that somebody made a game thats a gigantic success and they charged almost half of what other people are charging and its one of the more fun and playable games ive played in a long time

Jerkface posted:

This is very key strat, if you got the super samples or a bunch of regular samples drop them at extract so you don't end up in a situation where you die and leave them in the middle of a massive enemy formation. Will save you so much headache to not have to worry about running back to some completed objective just to get the precious.

yea i should have done this on the last one i actually played it would have given me the 2 super samples i need for 200% eagles of freedom

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Having played around with the exosuit a bit solidified one idea for me: I really want a portable personal-scale gatling gun :black101:

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Jerkface posted:

I did this yesterday and the samples seemed to despawn?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm gonna need people to stop calling the exosuits/mechsuits 'robots' when there is an entire enemy faction consisting of actual robots.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 8, 2024

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Away all Goats posted:

I'm gonna need people to stop calling the exosuits/mechsuits 'robots' when there is an entire enemy faction consisting of actual robots.

fauxbots

Musluk
May 23, 2011

BastardySkull posted:

I've also heard from friends that they despawn after 15 minutes so, ymmv. Also, diving into a horde of chargers to save your samples with yakety sax blaring is it's own fun imo.

Away all Goats posted:

dreadnoughts

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
welp spent 109 minutes so far attempting to get past the title screen.

not really seeing any appeal so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

BastardySkull posted:

I've never had that happen, anecdotally I don't think the despawn time can be 15 minutes because in one of the helldive missions I played yesterday we landed right next to extract AND the super sample rock was nearby so we dropped them at the start of the mission and it definitely took us longer than 15 minutes to finish the objectives and come back.

If you want to carry the samples yourself and you're playing with players you trust a different thing you can do is have players consolidate the samples, that way you're only really worrying about having to pick up 1 sample beacon.