Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Amechwarrior posted:

I don't think he should become perfect. Leave the flawed ability as it creates a more interesting dynamic when he's on the field. If/when we fight along side him, we'll need to play along with it and keep him protected from short range.

Don't worry, I'm not actually going to turn him into some min-maxed nightmare. I was just pointing out how certain SPAs can synergise really well even if they aren't that great by themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Scintilla posted:

Theoretically Rangemaster (Long) should have some pretty great synergy with Oblique Attacker. Being able to launch indirect attacks without needing a spotter, and with a +0 long range penalty has the potential to be absolutely filthy.

Again, single LRM10. Etienne is still dreaming of being the big hero on a sidekick’s loadout.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

AJ_Impy posted:

Again, single LRM10. Etienne is still dreaming of being the big hero on a sidekick’s loadout.

I mean, that’s kind of all they’ve got. The best he could do to get a “hero” load out is to swap to the Wolverine or Hunchback. And armed with a proper perch he could deal a lot of damage basically for free while everyone else scrambles to close the distance. We took the long way around and stuck to the buildings for a reason.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I don't mind the mechanics being modified in play for convenience / gameplay / simulation / narrative reasons, Etienne doesn't need to go on a great quest to see his auntie Renalla to get an SPA respec, it's just an entry in MegaMek.

He should however go and visit auntie Renalla, but just for regular family reasons.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TheParadigm posted:

I've always thought that RMM long was a little underrated(there was a good discussion about it in the PTN alpha strike thread) (and thats in a ruleset where range bands are sort of homogenous), and I don't think I've ever seen used to its full power.

Current range master (-2 Long Range, +2 Short Range) (L+2, M+2, S+2) is better than the original flavor Scintila is using, which trades the long and short range brackets (L+0, M+2, S+4). Since most fights happen at medium-to-short ranges, the original version of RM(L) is almost always a trap option.

RM(L) pairs really well with the modern version of Sniper (-2 Long range, -1 Medium Range), since you end up (L+0, M+1, S+2)

OG RM(L) and Sniper don't work together at all, since Sniper's original flavor was "halves the range penalty at long and medium range" you end up (L+0, M+1, S+4) which is a fantastic way to get murdered by Locusts.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

AH
I forgot there were multiple flavors/nerf editions of the skill. Thats on me.

There was a short window where range master extreme was useful in alpha strike, i think there's a table somewhere about it.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Cityscape_[9994]: After Action Report

Urban maps can be pretty stressful, huh? Well done to the players for successfully navigating their way through and completing every last objective along the way. I did my best to try and tempt you into splitting up, but you didn’t take the bait, and leveraged your local superiority to destroy the Fusiliers piecemeal. I managed to spring a couple of ambushes and got a few good licks in, but never quite managed to land a decisive blow. That contrasts sharply with the Victor, which repeatedly landed crippling shots on all of my most important units and really proved just how lethal a flying AC/20 can be.

As the midfight unfolded I got a fair amount of mileage out of the Hetzer. The Hetzer is similar to an SRM Carrier in that it is mostly an area denial weapon. You park it in a street and force the opposition to either face its wrath or detour around it (preferably into the firing lines of your other units). It did its job pretty well right up until I got a bit too clever and used it to help try and pin down the Hunchback. I knew it was a risk, but thought that the opportunity to blast the Hunchie at close range with my other units would be worth it.

Also, the Goblin was the surprise hero of my team. Anything with multiple SRM-6s has the potential to be deadly, but the little guy really went above and beyond.

No player casualties this time, although the Hunchback lost an arm and most of its armour. The Victor also came close to being defanged, but as I mentioned earlier, the decisive hit / crit just never happened.

MegaMek doesn’t recognise Gyro kills, so I had to manually give the Blackjack credit for taking down the Wolverine. I’m also giving the Sentinel kill to the Hunchback since it landed the fatal shot on the fuel tank.

No captures this time again. The only notable things here are the randomly generated vehicle crews.

As usual, there’s no salvage vote, but instead we have:

--

Logistics Vote – Black Knight Wreck

Roger was just settling down to write some reports when his communicator began to beep urgently. Frowning, he raised the device to his ear. He hadn’t been expecting a call at this time. “This is Sterling. What’s the issue?” he asked.

“Sorry to interrupt your work, sir, but we have a situation,” Archibald’s voice crackled. “Sam and Sadanobu are having it out in the common room. It’s just words for now, but if things get any more heated someone’s going to throw a punch.”

“Good grief.” Roger sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. A dispute between his two most senior techs was the last thing the company needed. “What are they arguing about?”

“It’s about the salvage Lord Decimis gifted us. Sadanobu thinks we should-” a pair of angry voices erupted in the background, drowning out most of Archibald’s next sentence. “-the Ostroc. Sam was… well, you probably heard that just now. Kind of speaks for itself, doesn’t it?”

Roger’s chair scraped against the floor as he stood up. “It certainly sounds like a raucous caucus down there. Hold the fort, I’m on my way now.”

“Thank you, sir. You’re the only one both of them will listen to.”

Grumbling under his breath, Roger deactivated his communicator and began to stride purposefully towards the common room. Breaking up an argument? What was he, their homeroom teacher? That was one downside of not having a formal command structure. In the Guards this kind of dispute would have quickly been settled by any competent sergeant or staff officer. Now everyone had a direct line to the commander, so even trivial problems got kicked straight to the top instead.

As Roger approached the common room the sound of argument steadily grew louder. With a final sigh, Roger pushed open the door and stepped inside. The first thing he saw was Samuel, who stood near the middle of the room. He had his beanie in his hands and was twisting it so violently Roger was amazed he hadn’t torn it apart. Sadanobu sat on a couch opposite, his eyes burning with sullen defiance. Two others were also present – Archibald, who was pretending to make coffee, and Veronica, who was leaning against the far wall and looking distinctly amused.

Both Sadanobu and Samuel fell silent as Roger crossed the threshold. The calm was short-lived, as both men immediately tried to get a word in. Samuel was faster and louder, and so managed to edge Sadanobu out.

“Boss!” he growled. “Thank Christ you’re here. Can you please talk some sense into this idiot boy? He’s caught the LosTech bug and now his brain’s melting out of his ears.”

Sadanobu rolled his eyes. “Give it a rest, old man. We’ve got our hands on something truly special here. We’d have to be complete morons not to try and take advantage of it.”

Samuel’s face flushed, and the muscles in his jaw tightened, but Roger forestalled the eruption by raising his hands and adopting a soothing tone. “Gentlemen. What seems to be the problem here?”

Samuel jabbed a callused finger at Sadanobu. “This orangutan thinks he can rip the Active Probe out of the Black Knight and crowbar it into the Ostroc. Because integrating centuries-old lost technology into a chassis that wasn’t made for it is… well it’s just so loving easy, isn’t it? It’s like…” Samuel’s voice grew ragged as a coughing fit overtook him. “It’s like… like loving Lego, y’know? Just… just slam the bits together until they… ah, gently caress…”

As Samuel’s voice disintegrated Sadanobu seized the moment to interject. “Look, I know it’s a radical idea, but I’ve got it all planned out. If we remove the SRMs and the ammo feed there’s just enough space in the chest cavity to fit it in.” his voice took on a hushed tone. “Think about it. A Star League sensor suite mated to a premier cavalry shitkicker like the Ostroc. It’s the best of all worlds.”

“Oh yeah? How’re you gonna stop the DI Computer from making GBS threads itself?” Samuel wheezed. “The targeting systems ain’t compatible. Best case it just won’t detect it. Worst case it’ll puke out a bunch of errors and die.”

“Of course I’ve thought of that!” Sadanobu said indignantly. “There’s a scrapyard outside town with a bunch of broken-down old Prowlers. Those things used to mount BAPs too, and some of them still have their Farsight modules. All we have to do is swap the Ostroc’s Ferdinand for one of them and we’re golden.”

Samuel’s eyes bulged incredulously. “So you’re shoving a bunch of mouldering old tank parts into it now? You’re a menace to the technical profession, you know that right?”

Roger rubbed his temples in exasperation. Sadanobu’s plan sounded like the sort of hare-brained scheme a periphery pirate might cook up, but he had to admit that the prospect of putting Star League tech to use was an exciting one. “Either way, we really do need to do something about that Black Knight carcass,” he said pointedly, hoping to bring the conversation around to something everyone could agree on. “We can’t repair it, and it’s taking up precious space in our storage bays. Johann is already complaining about how it’ll affect our logistics.”

Samuel clapped his gnarled hands together. “Don’t worry, boss. I’ve already got it figured. Last year Hanse Davion founded some new science-techno research whatsit. The Avalon Academy of… uh...”

“The New Avalon Institute of Science.” Veronica chipped in.

Samuel waved his hand irritably. “Whatever. Name’s not important. What is important is that they’re interested in LosTech, and are offering huge bounties for anything with a Star League logo on it. We’re talking millions of C-Bills here. So, what I say is, we sell them the Black Knight and use the money to pad out our bottom line. Leave the Ostroc to me and the lads. We’ll do a proper fix, give it that ‘almost new’ shine, not go shoving loving tank parts into it like the Kuritan cowboy wants.”

Sadanobu shrugged. “Sell the wreck if you want, but not before I get the BAP out of it. That thing is worth more than money.”

Samuel and Sadanobu glowered at one another. Both opened their mouths again, but Roger forestalled them by raising a hand and putting on his best commander’s voice. “Look. Here’s what’ll happen. Both of you will go away and put your proposals in writing, then formally submit them for my consideration. I will then make a decision based on the needs of the company. Needless to say, that decision will be final. Is that clear?”

A brittle silence descended over the common room. After several long seconds both men nodded reluctantly. By the coffee machine, Archibald shook his head ruefully. Veronica, meanwhile, was struggling to contain her laughter.

Roger clapped his hands together. “Good! I’m glad we sorted this out. Now that we are all one big happy family again, I have some very important reports to be getting back to. If anything important crops up, I’ll be in my office. Good day to all of you.”

--

Voting Options:

A: Remove the Beagle Active Probe from the Black Knight and install it in the Ostroc in place of the SRM-4. Spare tonnage will go towards an additional Heat Sink and half a ton of armour. Due to the complexity of the task, the modified Ostroc will not be battle-ready until the beginning of the next contract. The Ostroc will also gain the Non-Standard Parts quirk, making it more difficult to repair. The BAP-less Black Knight carcass will be sold to the NAIS for 1 Million C-Bills.

B: Sell the Black Knight carcass and the BAP to the NAIS for 3 Million C-Bills and repair the Ostroc to its stock OSR-2C specifications. The repaired Ostroc will be available in time for the next mission.

C: Keep the Black Knight carcass and repair the Ostroc using the company’s current funds. The repaired Ostroc will be available in time for the next mission. Johann will be mildly annoyed.

(The company’s current funds stand at 2,531,118 C-Bills.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
B. A BAP is a rather specialized piece of kit that ComStar could get very annoyed at a random mercenary group having. Make that Davion's problem and get a nice payday out of it.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Roughly how much will the repairs to the Ostroc cost in each of the three options?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
B

And maybe refit to a 2M for more jumping

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

We should more than Bouble our liquidity.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

anakha posted:

Roughly how much will the repairs to the Ostroc cost in each of the three options?

Repairs will cost roughly 1 Million C-Bills in all instances, the majority of which will be spent on a new Gyro (900,000 C-Bills).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A

Doing sensible things isn't what battletech games are for

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A Lets go full Yang Virtanen.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I vote C because what if we do get the means to repair it? Then we'd have a Black Knight!

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
I know you talked about changing up what the BAP would do. Can you give us a run down on what it would be used for if we put it to use?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

everydayfalls posted:

I know you talked about changing up what the BAP would do. Can you give us a run down on what it would be used for if we put it to use?

Sure, here's a reminder:

Active Probe Rules:

-Active Probes have an effective range of 4 hexes. Within this range, all minefields are automatically revealed, as are any conventionally camouflaged units. Hidden infantry units are not revealed, nor are any units equipped with an active Null / Void Signature System or Stealth Armour.

-As per TacOps, a unit equipped with an Active Probe has an easier time targeting enemies in forest or jungle hexes, reducing their concealment bonus by -1 (this does not affect LOS).

-Active Probes can be used to perform a Deep Scan to penetrate an ECM Scrambler Field.

-I'm also thinking about having it remove weather / darkness penalties. I would do this by temporarily assigning pilots the Weathered / Blind Fighter SPAs.

--

MegaMek doesn't provide an overlay for Active Probes like it does for ECM fields, so here's one I've come up with:

It looks slightly janky when using isometric mode, but it gives a pretty good idea of its range in practice.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think I have to go with A. Having a probe unit will be cool even if it doesn't do a TON, but also, even without the probe, the SRM removal for a sink and armor is very nice on a fast heavy with low profile like the Ostroc. It'll make an excellent zombie now.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
A

We are here to make cool mercenary mechs, not to be practical.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

🅱️

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

B. A BAP is a rather specialized piece of kit that ComStar could get very annoyed at a random mercenary group having. Make that Davion's problem and get a nice payday out of it.

Voting A, for the quoted reason

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

A because mercenaries should have at least one Frankenmech.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Ardlen posted:

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
B is the reasonable option, which I get the distinct impression I’ll be out voted on. Oh well, let the votes fall where they may.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
B is entirely reasonable and I'd be happy voting that, too, fwiw.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Scintilla posted:

. “Look. Here’s what’ll happen. Both of you will go away and put your proposals in writing, then formally submit them for my consideration. I will then make a decision based on the needs of the company. Needless to say, that decision will be final. Is that clear?”

Roger clapped his hands together. “Good! I’m glad we sorted this out. Now that we are all one big happy family again, I have some very important reports to be getting back to. If anything important crops up, I’ll be in my office. Good day to all of you.”

--

Voting Options:

(The company’s current funds stand at 2,531,118 C-Bills.)

To everyones surprise, a -third- proposal letter ends up on the desk, with the tagline
"You said your yourself boss, this wasn't even a possibilty until yesterday"

I'm going to go ahead and put my voice and vote forward for Option D: Negotiate with the new avalon institute of science. This will be a mix of all the other options, including installing the BAP to ostroc.
Instead of selling the black knight, or buying a long term cargo storage unit, the company approaches the NAIS and says 'hey, we have an old star league mech, but we're not interested in the bounty - do you think you could fix it for us? We're willing to wait. Can we talk terms?" To which nais says..

The way I'm seeing this go will be roughly like a story arc or HBH-battleteck factions. exchanging the black knight not for money, but for labor. With regards to Time, years pass pretty quick in between contracts in megamek, so like, 5-8 years is pretty reasonable for a long term hail mary but the thread actually gets to see happen. Each contract is at least a year, sometimes 2-3.

Tldr;
Company pays for ostroc repairs out of pocket and accepts the time delay for the lostech refit, while shipping the black knight over for them to look at and hold onto, but not buy.
If they -don't- manage to fix it, we get a new heavy mech off their testing range.
('...we understand you have your pick of testbed mechs. We'd like warhammer if it doesn't work out in say, a decade. )
The more lostech or missions completed, the higher odds of successful repairs.
('...this would be more achievable if we had more parts and samples. Do you think your company can bring them in?')
NAIS sends a liason officer to look over new lostech we may or may not come across, and sometimes generates missions. (example: Noble house x did a (stupid thing) and defaulted, we happen to know one of their house rides is a royal mech - we want you to seize it without damaging it, and have the repossession order here).
('...we'll do it, but we would like your company to consider direct mission requests from time to time.)

Option d: Trade the black knight for the occasional Anonymous Tip mission, plot, and some sort of good heavy later a few missions down the road. Either we get something usable, the prodigal knight returns, or we have fun and villiany along the way. Win on all fronts.

As with the 'every mech outfit deserves at least one frankenmech' - Every company deserves at least one shady backroom deal in their units history, too. This does both, and also give scintilla some room to have fun with it too.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 8, 2024

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

whoa

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I like this idea.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Like theParadigms option D

If that's not viable then B as with our luck it will take a random shot and blow up the first time we take it in the field.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

How likely is this to end out in a shootout with the ComGuard?

We should do it either way, but I really don't wanna end up in combat with a Thunderhawk or some poo poo.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Voting Option D and if that's not an option,

Option A because that's the kind of thing a scrappy merc unit does.

Edit - Saw the official option D below and this doesn't change my vote.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 9, 2024

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Scrappy merc units take the money and run, esp since a probe in TYOL 3016 is borderline useless. Same as if you found a tag

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I'm changing my vote to option D

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

interesting proposal but i'm still voting B

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Yeah option b doubles our cash

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Ardlen posted:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

B

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

When has money ever done anything good for anyone? D if it's allowed, C if not.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

TheParadigm posted:

Option d: Trade the black knight for the occasional Anonymous Tip mission, plot, and some sort of good heavy later a few missions down the road. Either we get something usable, the prodigal knight returns, or we have fun and villiany along the way. Win on all fronts.

I'm happy to add this as an option, with the following caveats - you'll be trading the Black Knight, including its Active Probe, for an equivalent heavy mech plus some special missions down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
Putting in a vote for option D

Getting a nice heavy out of it plus special NAIS missions :cool:

If they're Davion specific variants could pull something good like a Warhammer 6D out of it, which would be a great beatstick for the command.