Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Play Friday Night Funkin old man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Barudak posted:

Play Friday Night Funkin old man!

gently caress you! I'm gonna play Tsugaru and The Whistle Song. DDRMax2 inject that nostalgia into my veins.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

gently caress you! I'm gonna play Tsugaru and The Whistle Song. DDRMax2 inject that nostalgia into my veins.

A fair response.

Japanese arcades may mostly be dead but Ill keep on dancing at them when they let me

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
I really enjoyed dark souls setting of the heat death of the universe. Elden ring is neat but its just dark souls we have at home.setting wise.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm a very important person and you think I want to hear about your weird fetishes? Yet here we are for the billionth time talking about Dark Souls because you can't keep it to yourselves. Anyway I've been playing DDR. Well Stepmania. Well ITGMania. It's pretty rad you see there are these arrows at the top of the screen sitting there waiting for arrows that come up from the bottom of the screen. You then press matching button when the arrows lineup and the game says "fantastic" and let me tell you I am all for games telling me I'm fantastic.

We would be interested in you if you went on a dark souls journey like William

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Serephina posted:

I've been binging the DS games over the past few years, what was wrong with 2? Madula was an interesting vibe alongside the forgetfulness thing. People complained about the SotFS changed but I never knew different. I just kinda got fatuiged near the end and didn't do the final bosses in the throne of want, but couldn't tell if the game (plus DLCs, woof) was overlong or I was just burnt out from doing DS1&2 back to back.

Am halfway through #3 now, and mostly it seems to be leaning too hard in the nostalgia angle. I think I've had the Taurus Demon boss like four times now...

Mainly your neogaf types getting into memes about b-teams and downgrades. Also apparently some people think the best thing about DS1 is how the various parts of the map hook up and 2 doesn't do that as convincingly. It's largely the better game, though.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

The Moon Monster posted:

Also apparently some people think the best thing about DS1 is how the various parts of the map hook up

Well it's certainly not the combat

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've been thinking a lot since quitting dota and videogames that you can beat in one sitting at just the best. Preferably 40 minutes tops

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

so they were tired of the Dark Souls "continue the cycle/break the cycle" but then they did Elden Ring which is the exact same thing with a different coat of paint?

edit: I guess maybe they were just tired of the paint?

Miyazaki is definitely interested in cycles of destruction/recreation or birth and rebirth with existential horror at being trapped within those cycles. I don't know if there's some Buddhist ideas in there or what, but its definitely an interesting fusion with the Western genre stuff.

Also Dark Souls 3 feels better than 1 or 2 to to play, even if 2/3 of 1 has the best setting (it shits the bed post Anor Londo) and 2 has loads of ideas.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I've been thinking a lot since quitting dota and videogames that you can beat in one sitting at just the best. Preferably 40 minutes tops

this is why shmups are peak videogames

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm super ignorant about shoot em ups, I played a bunch of one called Gynoug - your character is a little dude with wings and a fair bit of salamander/life force

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Gangster town for sega master system was my fave because once you shot a guy he turned into a cute little angel that floated up that you could also murder for extra points

E: mistook shoot em up for a shooter like a light gun game

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

DS3 basically takes place post cycle in the hallucinations of a guy who wants to relive the glory days. It says there was no secret knowledge or one weird trick to escaping the cycles.It felt almost anti gnostic in a way. I am glad they ended it that way, if they had to put a nail in it.

Elden Ring had a similar feeling of there's no trick or artifact or thing to kill that's going to make everything great. You aren't stuck in a cycle and can choose a new direction but it's not going to be sunshine and roses.

So I kind of view the theming as anti the kind of gnostic belief that we're just missing some secret/need to slay some monster that permeates most fantasy or really stories in general. Gwyn was sustaining a broken system, but he wasn't keeping down a good one, and the Greater Will isn't holding anyone back, it just hosed off and doesn't care.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I think...I think I've been spoiled by life gems :negative:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I like games with a story like, you're some dude and there's bad guys now finish the levels and never think about it again. Much like movies lore has totally ruined videogames.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

the babby's first Ulcerated Tree Spirit dudes can suck my dick

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Literally A Person posted:

I like games with a story like, you're some dude and there's bad guys now finish the levels and never think about it again. Much like movies lore has totally ruined videogames.

This is all the exposition a game needs. Bring on the ninjas.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Vampire Panties posted:

This is all the exposition a game needs. Bring on the ninjas.

:hmmyes:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I remember thinking the cutscenes in ninja gaiden were the coolest drat thing

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Lore is cool, as long as it leaves gaps. Like, tell us about the kingdom of Galhagalnihon and its knights with blades of shadow in an item descriptions, but don't ever show it because it won't be as cool to the player as what they imagined.

"Exploring the universe" is how you get Disney+ Star Wars shows.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Are you sure you don't need a spurious biological explanation for why the space wizards have magic powers?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I wouldnt mind the explanation if in most cases it just didn't suck

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Professor Wayne posted:

Elden ring is about going to space with your wife

Elden Ring was an experiment to see if they could get people who constantly bitch about open world games to say how great this particular open world game is even though it holds pretty much all the same tropes as other open world games.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
Unicorn Overlord came out today and its pretty good I had ignored it at first b/c of the dumb name but its actually a really cool updated version of Ogre Battle if you liked those games

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dark Souls 1 is the start of the cycle. The world had an age of dark, and then an age of fire, the game sets you at the end of the age of fire and asks "do you want the next age to be one of dark or one of fire?"

Dark Souls 2 asks the same question after like a thousand more ages that each ended with that same question. As each age ends time and space stretches and warps as reality threatens to break itself, and a new chosen undead must rise and either rekindle the flame or become a new lord of dark.

Dark Souls 3 asks that question again, but after enough chosen undead fail, chosen undead from the past (who had burned to ash after linking the flame) begin to rise as a kind of failsafe in case a whole generation of people suck rear end. But in this game you don't have to link the flame or become a lord of dark, a third option is available. You can steal the fire, gaining control over the fire and the dark simultaneously, breaking the cycle and creating something new.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

dsf posted:

Unicorn Overlord came out today and its pretty good I had ignored it at first b/c of the dumb name but its actually a really cool updated version of Ogre Battle if you liked those games

Misleading name, but maybe it's tradition, did Ogre battle lack ogres?

There are some one horned horses in the UI or in the royal decor, but so far neither horned horses or unicorns have been available to put in your armies.

It is fun though, I think I these tactics over the Advance Wars style of FE games.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm super ignorant about shoot em ups, I played a bunch of one called Gynoug - your character is a little dude with wings and a fair bit of salamander/life force

darius twin and coryoon are solid, if low-difficulty, entires in this genre. 30-40min tops.........

...............if u dont suck!!

Khanstant posted:

Misleading name, but maybe it's tradition, did Ogre battle lack ogres?

for the most part, tactics ogre/ogre battle do not have any ogres. i think "pseudo-ogres," like weakass versions of whatever real ogre battle ogres are supposed to be, appear as a special midboss-tier unit in some of the later ob64 stages, though

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 8, 2024

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I have no opinion on the games themselves and basically no knowledge but the name of the SaGa series makes me instinctively hate them

Sah Gaaaaah :downs:

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Barudak posted:

A lot of people love survival crafting, and its like horror genre for movies where its fans will consume all the slop that comes out with seemingly no interest in discerning good from bad.

this is true. see: Palworld's baffling popularity

Like I know the Pokemon games have basically been abusing their fanbase with lackluster installments for years but god, that game looks like such an uninspired mess of buzzword game mechanics and asset flip models with no cohesive visual style.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

ishikabibble posted:

this is true. see: Palworld's baffling popularity

Like I know the Pokemon games have basically been abusing their fanbase with lackluster installments for years but god, that game looks like such an uninspired mess of buzzword game mechanics and asset flip models with no cohesive visual style.

Yeah it's really weird how people would want to play pokemon with guns instead of grimdark fantasy slog number whatever or maybe watchtower climber 10. Look everyone besides me has poo poo opinions about video games and I think it's really dumb when they act like the slop they eat is any better than the slop somebody else eats.

edit: Cellphone/gacha games can be looked down on by everybody. I'll allow it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 8, 2024

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i haven't played it, but from what i understand part of the appeal is that the game doesn't realize how odd it is.

like, it's fun to watch bad B movies if they are being earnest, but it's less fun when they are in on the joke.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Dark Souls 1 is the start of the cycle. The world had an age of dark, and then an age of fire, the game sets you at the end of the age of fire and asks "do you want the next age to be one of dark or one of fire?"

Dark Souls 2 asks the same question after like a thousand more ages that each ended with that same question. As each age ends time and space stretches and warps as reality threatens to break itself, and a new chosen undead must rise and either rekindle the flame or become a new lord of dark.

Dark Souls 3 asks that question again, but after enough chosen undead fail, chosen undead from the past (who had burned to ash after linking the flame) begin to rise as a kind of failsafe in case a whole generation of people suck rear end. But in this game you don't have to link the flame or become a lord of dark, a third option is available. You can steal the fire, gaining control over the fire and the dark simultaneously, breaking the cycle and creating something new.

Dark Souls 2 is a different story cycle based on the same root legends. It echoes and resonates with Dark Souls 1 but is not the same because that's how myths work.

Dark Souls 3 is the attempt to figure out the Zelda timeline.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

syntaxfunction posted:

I simply started at the first generation of consoles with an OG Xbox.

that was at least number 3

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fur20 posted:

darius twin and coryoon are solid, if low-difficulty, entires in this genre. 30-40min tops.........

...............if u dont suck!!

for the most part, tactics ogre/ogre battle do not have any ogres. i think "pseudo-ogres," like weakass versions of whatever real ogre battle ogres are supposed to be, appear as a special midboss-tier unit in some of the later ob64 stages, though

There are plenty of ogres in OB64, they're just another monster unit of similar strength to every other monster unit. I don't remember anything about them not being true ogres. I think Knight of Lodis also has one named Ogre as a boss.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

The Moon Monster posted:

There are plenty of ogres in OB64, they're just another monster unit of similar strength to every other monster unit. I don't remember anything about them not being true ogres. I think Knight of Lodis also has one named Ogre as a boss.

:hmmyes:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

u should check out Dark Soles op

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Helldivers 2 just reminds me games where you can grind instances for gear in ever escalating player selects difficulty dont really interest me. Oh look the map tileset did this, this time!

Like after a few hours Im good, which is extra funny because I have an insane number of hours in Wild Rift.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Still better than that weird Dinosaur shooting multi-player game that Capcom put out recently.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

my sweet spot is 2 hours. Starfox64, Streets of Rage 2, Shinobi 3 (the surfing level owns), old Mario games. Outrun and Galaxy Force 2 are good old games that take about 15 minutes to beat, but are pretty hard to get good at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Pretty much everything on the Genesis is around the 1-2 hour range, since the vast majority of games didn't have a save feature.