Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Wondering how difficult it would be to learn enough coding for the coding related tasks

Thanks for the insight. Writers Domain officially shut down all writing tasks back in December and I’ve been struggling to find anything that pays decently as a side gig where I can just do it whenever with no commitment. This seems promising!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

dataannotation.tech

Been doing work on here for a few weeks now and feel comfortable recommending it as legitimate. It's owned by a VC-backed AI company (Surge AI, although that name is meaningless to me) so they've got a lot of money, for now anyway.

is there some trick to getting assigned work? I signed up for an account back in october here and never heard back.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Astro7x posted:

Wondering how difficult it would be to learn enough coding for the coding related tasks

Thanks for the insight. Writers Domain officially shut down all writing tasks back in December and I’ve been struggling to find anything that pays decently as a side gig where I can just do it whenever with no commitment. This seems promising!

IIRC the coding "exam" was just a leetcode like thing. If you’re able to do those, or hell, have someone you trust in person to do it for you (pretty sure it was just a single question when I did it and it was more logic than writing code) then you could probably fake it til you make it once you’re in.

The objectively easiest projects just have you downloading some csvs and then asking the robot about it and having it make plots and stuff. You could probably get away with the most basic of knowledge because the robot does most of the work and you’re mostly there to check if the code runs and if the analysis the robot gave is plausible. I’ve had access to this type of project since day 1.

The other stuff (rating two chatbot responses, or generating conversations) requires more knowledge because it’s easier to misrate something due to lack of knowledge. On the projects where I rate other people’s ratings I have to mark like 40% of them for having objectively incorrect ratings.

On the non-coding side, I see a lot of projects come and go (they must have way more people doing these) but I usually have access to open ended talk to a chatbot projects. Recently I had a project asking me if I’d feel comfortable reading SEC finance reports (I said no). There’s projects where you try to get the chatbot to lie or to help you do a crime. There’s a project on my dashboard right now that’s paying $27.50/hr but the title has a “sexual violence” warning.

Impermanent posted:

is there some trick to getting assigned work? I signed up for an account back in october here and never heard back.

Dunno, I remember applying after work one day and I was accepted the same week. I’m guessing getting ghosted means you didn’t get in.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 20, 2024

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Dunno, I remember applying after work one day and I was accepted the same week. I’m guessing getting ghosted means you didn’t get in.

The weird thing is, it totally seems like I got in, I got paid for the coding exam, made $60, then got stuck at the final approval step.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

El Generico posted:

The weird thing is, it totally seems like I got in, I got paid for the coding exam, made $60, then got stuck at the final approval step.

Was the $60 the bonus for completing the coding exam or was it paid out for actual work that you logged hours to? If it's just the bonus for getting the coding exam right, it could just be that your answer was technically correct (earning you the bonus) but your explanation on how you got there was insufficient (not getting approved for work). I'm just guessing though.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Finally got around to applying for Data Annotations.

Will let the thread know if anything comes of it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Astro7x posted:

Finally got around to applying for Data Annotations.

Will let the thread know if anything comes of it.

Good luck!

Made some money today rating really bad prompts today while watching TV. Lots of real basic poo poo today like:

robot write me a python code

Yes that’s the entire prompt that someone else asked. So that’s about ~5 minutes of "work" verifying whatever code the robots spit out work and also writing up a short comment on why I rated the responses the way I did. Do this a few dozen times and it’s like free money.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I’ve been waiting for about a week and I’m still seeing the “thanks for taking the assessment” page. I felt good about the assessment so I wonder if there’s a shortage of tasks in my region - any idea if it’s region based like TELUS is? TELUS hasn’t had anything much for me to do either, I was paid for a single task last year and then nothing else has come up.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
I'm in the same boat, it's been about a week and I'm still waiting.

Dr. Jim Sadler
Jan 6, 2006

No, the fact that -you- don't wanna wear a thong is because you're still afraid of 9/11!
I recently got accepted to Data Annotation as well. I applied Jan 15th and got accepted Jan 24th. I didn't do the coding qualification. Thugh I am trying to brush up on my Python to be able to take it and get the higher paying work. So far, things have been good with Data Annotation. The first week or so there would sometimes not be work available on some days, but since I've gotten approved on projects where I start conversations with the bot rather than review them, there's been steady work. So far it's been $20-$21/hour and no issues with my payouts. I applied here since my part time job for the last decade finally gave out and Google cancelled their contract with Appen. I had been with Leapforce/RaterLabs for like 12 years. Overall, the pay bump is nice, though I have to pay more attention to my work than I did at Appen.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

I appreciate the suggestion for Data Annotation! I signed up shortly after Boris made his post but was never even invited to take the coding exam. Ever since I registered I just get the language about how there are no current projects available to me.

I filled out my profile page with a bunch of skills, including Python and “Other” programming languages where I mentioned in the description that I have high level SQL skills.

Am I missing something for taking the coding exam? I didn’t see an option to sign up for a “coding project” account vs. a non-coding account, but maybe I missed something obvious. :)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

It's been a while, but IIRC the onboarding process for me was:

1. apply
2. immediately got an email inviting me to take a coding qualification and a general qualification
3. did both qualifications
4. got an email saying project were available for me some days later, including some onboarding projects

e: It looks like the main page has a separate "know how to code?" link at the top. Pretty sure I didn't click on this link and just applied regularly.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 25, 2024

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Was the $60 the bonus for completing the coding exam or was it paid out for actual work that you logged hours to? If it's just the bonus for getting the coding exam right, it could just be that your answer was technically correct (earning you the bonus) but your explanation on how you got there was insufficient (not getting approved for work). I'm just guessing though.

That might be the case, I wouldn't be surprised, I'm not the best coder. If so I misunderstood what the bonus was for, but it'd be nice for them to actually give me a "you failed" email instead of leaving me hanging forever.

Also, I signed up for both the regular data annotation and the coding thing so if I failed the coding thing I'd still like to do the other one.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
Just to add-on to the discussion here, I just applied last night.

The coding "exam" was only three questions, and it was just input/output stuff, I know almost nothing about coding - but got a passing grade somehow?

The other part of the application was far more involved. about 20 questions on whether AI output A or B was better based on misinformation, harmful advice, etc. Took about an hour. Many of the questions required googling to look up basic information such as dates, legitimacy of AI answers, stuff like that. I'm reasonably confident that I passed, and if so I'll come back and update after I get some paid hours under my belt.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Hmm ok I remember having to do a A or B type of rating when I applied as well.

quote:

The coding "exam" was only three questions, and it was just input/output stuff, I know almost nothing about coding - but got a passing grade somehow?

How did you figure this by the way? I don’t think I saw any feedback on how I did other than the emailing saying I got accepted later on.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Hmm ok I remember having to do a A or B type of rating when I applied as well.

How did you figure this by the way? I don’t think I saw any feedback on how I did other than the emailing saying I got accepted later on.

At first I thought the coding was just the general exam, because that's what I got dumped into taking first. But on my dashboard on sign-in it had a little checklist and it said coding - passed! With a green box ticked next to it.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

After creating my account I was immediately greeted with the “We don’t have any projects for you” language even though I hadn’t filled out any skills in my profile. And I was never given an option to take any of the exams. It’s a bummer because this seems like the best side-gig I’ve seen in a long time. :(

Trying not to take it personally lol

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

Fireside Nut posted:

After creating my account I was immediately greeted with the “We don’t have any projects for you” language even though I hadn’t filled out any skills in my profile. And I was never given an option to take any of the exams. It’s a bummer because this seems like the best side-gig I’ve seen in a long time. :(

Trying not to take it personally lol

Possibly weird question, but did you give them a LinkedIn profile with tech-ish skills listed?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Duderclese posted:

Possibly weird question, but did you give them a LinkedIn profile with tech-ish skills listed?

To give you a datapoint I did give them my LinkedIn url when I made an account and I was instantly asked to take a qualification or whatever.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

To give you a datapoint I did give them my LinkedIn url when I made an account and I was instantly asked to take a qualification or whatever.

Huh. Odd. My LinkedIn link was followed by the coding exam. Seems their poo poo may not be well organized. Surprising no one.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I signed up and did the initial assessment. It said there was another assessment to take but I didn't have time. Then I came back the next day to take the other assessment and it says:

But I never took the other assessment :shrug:

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Duderclese posted:

Appreciate your response!

I hadn't but I just added it. I also realized there was an option to validate your phone number in the profile page so I did that too. We'll see if any of that helps.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

At this thread's Rec, I also popped my LinkedIn in my profile after I didn't see the assessments and they were added a dayish later. I just finished my three part onboarding and the intro project and there's nothing left in the projects list. Does that also take a little time to fill up? (non-coding, btw)

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

At this thread's Rec, I also popped my LinkedIn in my profile after I didn't see the assessments and they were added a dayish later. I just finished my three part onboarding and the intro project and there's nothing left in the projects list. Does that also take a little time to fill up? (non-coding, btw)

Fireside Nut posted:

Appreciate your response!

I hadn't but I just added it. I also realized there was an option to validate your phone number in the profile page so I did that too. We'll see if any of that helps.

Of course, happy to provide information! I genuinely felt that my (ancient) LinkedIn profile with my tech certifications on it had a part in why I got accepted fairly quickly.

Thus why I asked, and I hope it helps others get easy money!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Glad to help too, and I'm happy to see people applying and getting in. I've seen people mention in the various project chats that they've been working this gig for 1+ years so hopefully we can add to that datapoint as well. If AI is going to supposedly (lol and lmao) gently caress over all of our jobs then we might as well benefit from it in the meantime.

It seems like adding your LinkedIn profile may have helped. Correlation ≠ Causation, but it couldn't hurt. I guess this site advertises on popular social media and they get lots of low effort applications including people who just ask ChatGPT to write their application for them, so adding any bit of detail that distinguishes you as someone who's putting in effort is going to help out. So do take some time to fill out your profile description (I just wrote my background and what I'm good at), verify your phone number, add your LinkedIn, and update your skills and language competency (double check the competency levels).

For the skills, just add everything that you are good at or might be able to do I guess. I believe these open up qualifications for domain specific projects. I've gotten qualifications for maths, finances, business software like GSuite. Looking through the list right now it seems there's a little bit of something for everyone.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Got my first basic paying project today! Also, this system seems very gameable unless they're really running numbers on the backend for how good the responses are likely to be based on metrics. The whole operation smells like a startup lighting VC money on fire so get in while the getting is good I guess.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Got my first basic paying project today! Also, this system seems very gameable unless they're really running numbers on the backend for how good the responses are likely to be based on metrics. The whole operation smells like a startup lighting VC money on fire so get in while the getting is good I guess.

All your submissions get sent to another group of gig workers to review. If enough people mark your work as bad quality it will most likely trigger some kind of oversight.

e: IMO the trick is to submit enough good poo poo that you get flagged as a "good worker". Then you get assigned work to review other people, and then you just keep doing those. Reviewing other people's work is like all I've been doing for weeks. I haven't rated any models in a while.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 4, 2024

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Gameable in the efficiency sense, like pretending it takes me a really really long time to read responses. Is that reviewed on the other end at all?

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

On Sunday morning I added my LinkedIn profile and revamped the free text area of the profile page with nice write-up that gives my relevant professional history and skills. Unfortunately, I still do not have any projects available to me.

I'm actually thinking about deleting my account and creating a new one with everything completed from the get-go. I'm wondering if I've been relegated to the reject pile from the initial state of my profile and don't stand much of a chance to be 'rediscovered'.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This sucks, I still login and get the "Thanks for taking the assessment" message.

I have a ton of experience with writing. Unfortunately, I don't want to put that on my LinkedIn provide because I don't want my employer knowing that I've been working for other companies while I've been working for them.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I don't have any writing-related jobs on my LI and got to the first level of paid projects.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I’m still on the “thanks for completing the assessment” page too. I deleted my linked in after an ex was stalking me on there and I don’t intend going back, sucks if that means I’m less employable.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I genuinely didn't know there was a profile area to list skills, lmao. I think yesterday marks one week since passing my assessments, but still no email letting me know I can start.

I did take the time to list my skills from what they have available, though. Quite a few, so I remain hopeful.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I just went back and added skills I could probably pass a test in. Like I've written so many drat Dentist SEO articles, I could probably pass a test about dentistry.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Gameable in the efficiency sense, like pretending it takes me a really really long time to read responses. Is that reviewed on the other end at all?

On one project the admin said (paraphrasing) that time reports "that get flagged" will go over to their desk for approval/review and not to worry about it, while giving the spiel about how important quality > quantity is. So it's my impression that the admins you see are like data scientists and they're running these various projects for their own work and get the final say on whether your submissions are useful or not.

Getting flagged for time is probably just checking if you're an outlier I'm guessing. Gig workers reviewing your work don't get to see any metadata like how long you took, I basically see exactly what you see when you're doing the projects but there's additional info for me about what to focus on for reviewing.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 6, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Interesting. There are "rate the person who reviewed someone else's work" projects.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Gah, I'm entering day 6 of having no projects available. I got access ~8 days ago, but now can only see the Chatbot Outage posting and some random broken projects that slip through. V frustrating

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Gah, I'm entering day 6 of having no projects available. I got access ~8 days ago, but now can only see the Chatbot Outage posting and some random broken projects that slip through. V frustrating

I have that same "chatbots are offline" project as well… but I still have chatbot projects.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
I still haven't heard anything after taking the secondary tests; starting to think I should give up hope. Not sure why I wouldn't have gotten in, I put a lot of effort into my responses, filled out my profile, added my Linkedin, etc. etc. Sucks, because I was really hoping this would come through lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I was reading an article about RLHF and the company SuperAnnotate was mentioned. Hoping over to their careers page takes you to their LinkedIn where they have the job "Creative Writing - AI Data Trainer (Remote)" listed. From what I can tell at a glance from their website this the same thing as the DataAnnotation job but I don't think they are the same company.

Also I believe Taskup.ai is also owned/run by the same people who run DA.

e: The SuperAnnotate position seems to be a full-time job (or at the very least only want people who can work full time:

quote:

Requirement: only the candidate who can commit 40 hours/week will be considered for this opportunity.

e2: There doesn't appear to be any posts on reddit asking about working at/for superannotate, but the company does seem to be legit. This might be another good opportunity, especially if they can guarantee minimum hours.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 9, 2024