Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

LimaBiker posted:

Lorries rarely do it because they're large and can barely make space, but i've been waved on by them if the gap's so small that i cannot be certain that the gap will keep existing if the lorry would start moving.
I got waved on by a large truck once while I was on a rented Triumph Tiger. The bike was bigger than I was used to, so I didn't want to try to squeeze through a small gap. I just shook my head, and the driver gave me a very confused look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I'm always a bit annoyed by the fact that we don't get filtering in our riding lessons. We get skills that are useful, but nothing in the sense of 'Will i make it thorugh this gap or not' and 'how to judge when it's safe'.

You essentially gotta teach yourself but that comes with a lot of extra risk. No one to tell you 'Hey, soooo traffic is picking up, give it some extra beans and merge behind that red car in front of you before everyone's doing highway speed again'.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

If you hit mirrors with your bar ends you're living pretty dangerously, it won't take much of that to tip you into the traffic.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

If you hit mirrors with your bar ends you're living pretty dangerously, it won't take much of that to tip you into the traffic.

I've never hit with a bar end. I think that's pretty hard to do, since your hand is right there so you know exactly how wide the bike is at that point. It's the mirror tips that'll make contact first, since on a lot of (most? (every bike I've owned)) bikes they stick out farther than the bar ends, and you don't really have a spacial reference other than familiarity to tell you how much more than the width of the bike/your body parts that they stick out.
Again, in over 6 years of daily filtering and 4 different bikes in that time, I think it's happened twice, and never more than once on the same bike. I think if you're dinging off mirrors more than that, you need to reevaluate your spacial awareness. Or glue some pipe cleaners to your mirror to use as feelers or something.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Finger Prince posted:

I've never hit with a bar end. I think that's pretty hard to do, since your hand is right there so you know exactly how wide the bike is at that point.

That's what OP did though.

SEKCobra posted:

Bar end mirrors would be problematic, i hit the mirror with my handguard.

In any case I think making contact when filtering is pretty bad both from a safety point of view, and also a driver relations POV.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I didnt know 2 stroke stand up scooters was a thing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Supradog posted:

emphasis on was

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Supradog posted:

Well that got gnarly

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
bit of a jump scare at the end

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They got what they deserved

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Rolo posted:

Well that got gnarly

Why is it when you see a group of idiots riding in a tight formation on some abomination of a vehicle there's always some massive cascade of failures that constantly escalate into some major tragedy?

Actually I think that question answered itself.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Strife posted:

Why is it when you see a group of idiots riding in a tight formation on some abomination of a vehicle there's always some massive cascade of failures that constantly escalate into some major tragedy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gx9os9M-tw

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I hope the person wearing the camera had a helmet on because they sure did turn to face that jeep right as it smashed into their face

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Strife posted:

my favorite in this genre is still the group of grom riders that all forget how to use their brakes and pile into each other while trying to stop by dragging their feet on the ground flintstones style

apparently there are plenty of videos of grom group rides going wrong

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 8, 2024

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

This is actually the exact video I was thinking of when I made that comment.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Every year there's an informal herd ride where up to 20.000+ people ride around the local lake at more or less the same time following mostly the same route (about 340km). I've never joined, partly because of that video. I might this year though if the weather is nice - it's mostly old and hopefully somewhat experienced people and we have actual licence requirements for riders in this country so the depicted situation seems unlikely. A colleague who likes to join for at least a part of the route says it's fun when motos are the majority of vehicles on the road for a change which would be neat to experience at least once in life I guess.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
We have a good bit of those on May the 1st. Usually around the a big lake like Mjøsa or Randsfjorden. Its the start of the main stream biker season here in southern Norway.
There is little accidents, the few deaths i know of up the years have been cars breaking the right of way and being the cause of the accident.

But also its not 20k people, and not in one big herd.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Having observed from the sidelines some 80km into the route it's not one big continous herd here either, more like a steady trickle of smaller groups of riders rumbling by over an hour or two. But on the highway leading out of the city it can be a pretty impressive flood of bikers.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I saw someone riding a Motocompacto at work today. Riding one looks as ridiculous as I thought. Feel free to make fun of the guy for buying a $1000 suitcase to ride the 3/4 of a mile from parking lot to his office.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Strife posted:

You could apply this same argument to making left turns and causing an accident. There wasn't a car there and then there was. It's a judgement call that you can't eliminate with a blanket statement, but accidents are (mostly) avoidable.

Fair enough. I personally feel there is a meaningful difference in carelessness for these two examples, but either way it is agreed bikes shouldn't hit cars while splitting/filtering.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Deeters posted:

I saw someone riding a Motocompacto at work today. Riding one looks as ridiculous as I thought. Feel free to make fun of the guy for buying a $1000 suitcase to ride the 3/4 of a mile from parking lot to his office.

It really does look like a solution looking for a problem. A normal scooter does the same job and looks less like riding a briefcase. It reeks of 'cruising around the Google/apple campus to get my latte' techbro feel also.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

The one use case I saw there was for city apartment dwellers, sometimes you don't want to store anything outside that's not bolted down, and it might be slightly less of a trip hazard for you and your roommates stashed by the entryway versus a bicycle.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Remy Marathe posted:

The one use case I saw there was for city apartment dwellers, sometimes you don't want to store anything outside that's not bolted down, and it might be slightly less of a trip hazard for you and your roommates stashed by the entryway versus a bicycle.

The thing is, electric stand up scooters (like Lime scooters) exist now, and are a zillion times better ergonomically.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Much as I've been reluctant to admit it, stand up e-scoots are legit practical urban transportation devices. The small light ones that fold up mesh really well with buses and trains, presumably with cars and ginormous parking lots too. I'm probably getting one for the family as soon as I can find a reasonable one that can be easily locked to bike racks and such, and also convince my wife that they're fun to ride. She hates them because of youngsters riding them too fast too close to pedestrians but to my mind that's a rider problem and not a vehicle problem.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Invalido posted:

Much as I've been reluctant to admit it, stand up e-scoots are legit practical urban transportation devices. The small light ones that fold up mesh really well with buses and trains, presumably with cars and ginormous parking lots too. I'm probably getting one for the family as soon as I can find a reasonable one that can be easily locked to bike racks and such, and also convince my wife that they're fun to ride. She hates them because of youngsters riding them too fast too close to pedestrians but to my mind that's a rider problem and not a vehicle problem.

They suffer a whole lot from being inextricably linked with "lovely companies that encourage their users to leave them all over the sidewalks" but they have their uses.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I’m interested in an e-scoot for putting humming around the neighborhood. For example, to pick up food a few blocks away, a trip that seems silly to run my car for 5 minutes but I also don’t want to walk for 30 minutes.

However when I casually look around, turns out there are zillions of models, video reviews are rife with paid referral links, and also tend to review 16 different makes/models at a time . I just want The Normal One that can fold up and has 30-60 minutes of juice and won’t fall apart immediately.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Type the gist of whatever you're looking for into Google then add reddit at the end and you should be able to find some real information. Or of course any responses from here.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I’m going to be annoying and point out that many campuses have banned electric scooters (geofenced), but still allow cars which are cancer to any pedestrian first area.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cars are cancer to every area

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I saw this on a Boomer car page, now you have to see it, too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pff, 3, 4, and 11 can be solved by buying from Motorrad. Whittling down the excuses.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Anecdotal but after covid I've noticed a sharp drop in cruisers on the road and ADVs becoming much more common.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
wear a real helmet and you don't have to worry about 6

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
I was under the impression that you do get a trophy and a recognition plaque when you buy a harley

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
And a big bell is struck

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

buy a honda and 13 isnt a thing either. i dont think this list is very well researched!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
#4. Participation trophies eh? Who won the Vietnam war?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

And a big bell is struck

And they play 'rock you like a hurricane' or perhaps 'magic carpet ride'

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

I saw this on a Boomer car page, now you have to see it, too.

in fact, it turns out that Boomers aren't buying harley davidsons anymore either! here are the reasons why:

1. they keep on killing themselves on their bikes because they're all dried out mummies with terrible reflexes and vision who haven't ridden in thirty years, if they ever did at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

seriously i read a thing a few years ago that the demographic most likely to die on a motorcycle had shifted, for the first time in history, away from the 18-25 male group and to the 65+ males.