Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Apparently Google is holding the update for US carriers until March 11th.

Looks like they are starting to adopt the Apple playbook where they won't make the update available to any carrier until it's ready for all carriers. Sideloading it works well enough. I don't have any qualms about doing that because my US purchased Pixel 8 pulled down the update because it's never had a SIM in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

bull3964 posted:

It's not. It's a lot clearer from a UI perspective.

Before you had 3 radio buttons. Two of the options allowed background usage (either with restrictions or without restrictions), one did not.

So, before you had.

Unrestricted
Optimized
Restricted

Well, that's not clear. If the first option is unrestricted, by definition any other option is Restricted. So, that leaves Optimized in a weird spot because it's technically restricted but it's not as restricted as the actual restricted option.

So, by removing the Restricted radio button and instead chaging that to a switch to "Allow Background Usage", you make it a lot clearer what each thing is doing. You first have to allow background usage, then you can choose if you want that background usage to be Unrestricted or Optmized.

Hmmm... I've been burned a lot by the old "optimized" and want some apps to never be touched by the battery optimizer. I guess the new way to make sure it never gets affected is to allow background use and use the optimized selection?

I just never want it to sleep some apps.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The functionality is exactly the same as the prior UI. Just make sure background usage is allowed and have the radio button set to unrestricted.

It's just a UI change.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

How do I stop Google sending me news headlines about Indian politics? I keep hitting "fewer like this" but I'm guessing that reading UK politics news is giving it mixed messages and it's just seeing keywords like "MPs" and "Parliament" and saying "hey, this guy's a big fan of parliamentary democracy, I bet he'd enjoy this!"

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Any chance you're also Canadian? I've been getting a lot of that as well

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
For awhile last year, I was getting a bunch of Indian news. I'm on the east coast of the US. It's also annoying that it can't distinguish ice hockey and field hockey. So occasionally I get that news.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Decent Bluetooth notification shade UI improvement in the latest Pixel update.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Party Boat posted:

How do I stop Google sending me news headlines about Indian politics? I keep hitting "fewer like this" but I'm guessing that reading UK politics news is giving it mixed messages and it's just seeing keywords like "MPs" and "Parliament" and saying "hey, this guy's a big fan of parliamentary democracy, I bet he'd enjoy this!"

I think google fundamentally broke something in their algorithm because youtube has become equally awful at recommending things or even showing relevant search results. If I am searching a camera and lens, why the gently caress are you showing me body horror thumbnails of zip popping maggot bullshit.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Okay, I've been troubleshooting this for two weeks and still need help: PiP suddenly no longer works with Youtube on my G-S9. I have:

- Made sure PiP is enabled through both phone permissions and the YT app
- Allowed all YT notifications
- Gave YT access to my location
- Updated both my phone and YT to the latest version
- Uninstalled/reinstalled YT
- Cleared YT's cache
- Rebooted my phone
- Rebooted my phone in safe mode and toggled PiP permissions

I'm in the US and not using a VPN, so this feature should still be available with my free account, correct? Can anyone think of anything else I can try?

Also

Bottom Liner posted:

I think google fundamentally broke something in their algorithm because youtube has become equally awful at recommending things or even showing relevant search results. If I am searching a camera and lens, why the gently caress are you showing me body horror thumbnails of zip popping maggot bullshit.

Yeah, suddenly all my ads are in Spanish. I'm a little over an hour from the Canadian border.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Voice search in YT Music was completely hosed the other day, too. Completely irrelevant results, like not even a similar category or matching keyword. It was bizarre.

"Play Drum and Drummer by The Blue Devils"

"Ok, playing Beautiful Things by Benson Boone"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I only use voice to set timers, but one time it went:
"Set timer for 5 minutes."
"Okay, sending message to Jeremiah. What is the message?"

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Links please.

Das Boo posted:

Okay, I've been troubleshooting this for two weeks and still need help: PiP suddenly no longer works with Youtube on my G-S9. I have:

- Made sure PiP is enabled through both phone permissions and the YT app
- Allowed all YT notifications
- Gave YT access to my location
- Updated both my phone and YT to the latest version
- Uninstalled/reinstalled YT
- Cleared YT's cache
- Rebooted my phone
- Rebooted my phone in safe mode and toggled PiP permissions

I'm in the US and not using a VPN, so this feature should still be available with my free account, correct? Can anyone think of anything else I can try?

I'm not sure why it suddenly stopped working but YouTube doesn't allow playing in the background/picture-in-picture unless you pay for YouTube Premium. You can get around this if you're using a third party browser but the YouTube app itself needs a subscription.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You are thinking of background playback only (in the US anyways.)

quote:

You can use picture-in-picture (PiP) to watch content across YouTube, with a YouTube Premium membership. If you don’t have YouTube Premium and are in the United States, you can still use PiP, but you can’t watch certain content, like music videos.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/7552722?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

bull3964 posted:

You are thinking of background playback only (in the US anyways.)

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/7552722?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid

Interesting, regional differences in the simplest things continue to confuse me.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Mr. Mercury posted:

Any chance you're also Canadian? I've been getting a lot of that as well

Nope, UK. But I guess that adds weight to my "can't distinguish one Parliament from another" theory

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I'm having an odd bug with my ASUS ZenFone 9, I keep losing my APN settings while on my roaming SIM.

The only thing I can find in the ruins of Google is some others with an identical issue from multiple places and makes of phone / carrier.

The APN settings page, if there is none saved, says "APN Settings are not available for this user" I think that's it, I can't see it again until it deletes it again. However I still have access to the plus button and I can create and save a new APN.

This was the case with my previous UK EE SIM but luckily they don't need the APN manually set so it wasn't a service issue. It seems to happen a few times a day, often after a restart or charge session.

This leads me to think it's a permissions bug, is there any way to dig down a little and see if there is a repair or fix? I'm a programmer and nix admin so it's not entirely out of my wheelhouse, I'm just not up to date on androids structure these days.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

It looks like security update support for pixel 5a is ending in August. It's looking like Fi has decent deals for the 7a and the 8 - is the 8 worth the $150 more over the 7a? I do also like that the software updates on the 8 will run though 2030 vs 2028 for the 7a.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The Slack Lagoon posted:

It looks like security update support for pixel 5a is ending in August. It's looking like Fi has decent deals for the 7a and the 8 - is the 8 worth the $150 more over the 7a? I do also like that the software updates on the 8 will run though 2030 vs 2028 for the 7a.

If you're going to keep your phone until it explodes or withers and dies, I'd recommend getting the Pixel 8 over the 7A. The 8 is a much nicer device than the regular 7 I had for a year, battery life is longer, screen is hugely better (brighter with higher refresh rate), and the size is just about perfect for most people who don't want a screen nearing 7 inches.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I can't speak directly to the 7a but in my usage the 8 pro is an improvement across the board from the 7 pro - better thermals, better battery, snappier performance, better fingerprint reading, etc. It's more on the side of a noticeable step forward rather than a leap, so you'll likely find a lot of arguments over whether it's really better if you can't get 30 hours of youtube out of the battery or what have you.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I have had a pixel 3, 4a, 5, 6 pro, and now I have the 8 pro, and while I have loved all of those phones except the 4a (there was a weird issue where the bottom corners of the screen would become unresponsive intermittently, and I got it replaced only to get the problem on another unit too) the 8 pro is def a big step up as far as the hardware is concerned. It just feels better and is a better user experience by a pretty big margin.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have a Pixel 6 and my partner got the 8 Pro at my suggestion and after doing her own research, and she's really happy with it. I'm keeping an eye out for a sale and am sorely tempted to get an 8 Pro myself and move my 6 down to being my secondary phone.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

what the hell is this? i am on call and want to hear text notifications, why do i need to have my ringer volume on?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have a Pixel 6 and my partner got the 8 Pro at my suggestion and after doing her own research, and she's really happy with it. I'm keeping an eye out for a sale and am sorely tempted to get an 8 Pro myself and move my 6 down to being my secondary phone.

Wouldn't, at this time (March 2024), be better to just wait till October and get 9 pro? Presumably they'll release one. I suspect the odds are 99% on that. Then again, there won't be sales on 9 pro for a while.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Volguus posted:

Wouldn't, at this time (March 2024), be better to just wait till October and get 9 pro? Presumably they'll release one. I suspect the odds are 99% on that. Then again, there won't be sales on 9 pro for a while.

Lol there will be sales on it less than a month after it comes out, for Black Friday

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lol there will be sales on it less than a month after it comes out, for Black Friday

Oh right. That. See...

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I could wait, but that would almost certainly mean spending more. Aside from the lack of a telescopic lens the 6 has been great for me, and a cheaper 8 Pro sooner is a little more appealing to me than a more expensive 9 Pro later.

Still, I'm not likely to decide anything soon.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How much you wanna bet battery swelling is causing this effect on my wife's S22

I cant seem to feel the back lifting off yet but I dunno what else it would be.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

codo27 posted:

:stare:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

codo27 posted:

Get that out of your house asap

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Get that out of your house asap

I was just about to post exactly this. What the gently caress do Samsung do to their batteries?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

codo27 posted:

It's probably the adhesive failing rather than the battery, but why would you want to risk finding out?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Oh man, look at it edge on to confirm, but yeah, that's way too new to have battery issues already lol

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
when my partner's pixel 4 battery started swelling the first sign was the NFC stopped working. it took us a minute to notice the battery physically swelling because of the case it was in though

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Worst part is she's only about 2/3 through her tab and still owes over $400. I contacted Samsung but I'm sure the repair cost is gonna be half that maybe just to wind up with the same lovely battery life. I almost got the same phone myself only I was talked out of it here due to said issue. My S23 is a lot better but starting to go down the drain lately but that might be able to be remedied by a factory reset.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
is it lovely battery life by design or by circumstance?

Exploding batteries happen because of a lot of reasons, but the main one seems to be manufacturing choices. If the next battery/device is just going to be the same awful poo poo then run, but if she just got a bad battery from the start (lovely battery life, how lovely really? could be her battery's fault) then replacing it makes sense, in a way.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

It's anecdotal, but there are a lot more reports about Samsung devices having welling batteries than other brands. MKBHD even made a statement in a video that of all the hundreds of phones they keep in storage for videos and stuff, Samsungs are the only ones that end up swelling like this while being unused. I think he mentioned it in his "every galaxy s phone" video from a week or two ago. Again though, it's anecdotal and I'm sure there are just as many, if not more, people who have never had a battery problem out of a Samsung device.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
For those of you with a Pixel 8, how happy are you?

My Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 has developed a bit of damage on the screen like it's had pressure on it. Camera has been damaged for about a year. It feels like it's time to replace it. The main feature I'd miss is the IR as its fun being able to turn off TVs or operate projectors at school when the remote isn't working.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sad Panda posted:

Works well for me

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Sad Panda posted:

Hardware is good. Normal google bullshit is the same as ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015

Sad Panda posted:

I'm happy with it. I really like the size of it.