Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Looking for a decent season 1 plotline? Season 2 is a lot better but still suffers from bad pacing (Kwan), dumb plot armour decisions (Halsey) and a distinct lack of Halos despite the main character being Jarn Halo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

drat, this show is finally getting good. It's going to get cancelled, isn't it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah we're all preparing for them to get on the pillar of autumn in the season finale and then the show being immediately cancelled. :capitalism:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

General Battuta posted:

I think I gave up on season 1 before that, what the gently caress is going on there

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people my friend

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol there's two episodes left in this season.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

General Battuta posted:

I think I gave up on season 1 before that, what the gently caress is going on there

Diggy Diggy Hole, Digging a Hole

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Lol, I liked this episode but they probably should have just left the Soren stuff out. Five seconds of screen time to go "hmm, well, Kessler's not here I guess, better move on"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I hope this doesn't get canceled. It's turning into a genuinely good show.

I enjoyed the Chief and Cortana team up and really want to see them together full time now.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Codependent Poster posted:

I hope this doesn't get canceled. It's turning into a genuinely good show.

I enjoyed the Chief and Cortana team up and really want to see them together full time now.

I love that this episode just spelled out in neon lights "it's not the armor that makes him master chief, it's cortana"

I also liked the first glimpse of the arbiter throwing down as a "heretic"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We are in uncharted waters. Netflix didn't cancel Avatar after one season and in fact renewed it for two more seasons. So we might get lucky.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Cojawfee posted:

We are in uncharted waters. Netflix didn't cancel Avatar after one season and in fact renewed it for two more seasons. So we might get lucky.

There's no way that Paramount, in it's current state, renews Halo. It's a middling success at best and they are nearly bankrupt. Even the future of Star Trek is on the line and that's it's golden goose.

If I'm wrong you can quote the Prophet of Truth at me.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
comedy option: it's renewed but with the budget slashed in half so they get to the Halo just in time to have to do a bunch of bottle episodes on one or two sets

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Tighclops posted:

comedy option: it's renewed but with the budget slashed in half so they get to the Halo just in time to have to do a bunch of bottle episodes on one or two sets

I mean, in some ways, the Halo would be a cheaper place to set a season. Anything exterior can just be Vancouver forest and Forerunner ruins are mainly modular in design so should be easy to do as physical sets.

Also, from what I can tell, the plan is probably to jump straight to the Halo 2 version of an Halo, with a Gravemind on it and accelerating the Arbiter (really Makee to save money) turning against the Covenant.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, it'd be fine, all they need are some fields, a canyon, and sets for the Pillar of Autumn, the Control Room, and loop the same 10ft of corridor for the Library ad nauseum. Hire some Goons to play the Flood forms, no one will be able to tell the difference. Cheapest season ever.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Jehde posted:

Yeah we're all preparing for them to get on the pillar of autumn in the season finale and then the show being immediately cancelled. :capitalism:

I dont' think the pillar of autumn will even exist.

Like for a while i kinda based my predictions for the show on an assumption there were some basic sort of plot elements they would hit, while adding and changing everything around them, you know, take the pillar of autumn to the halo ring, find the flood, discover the purpose of the ring, blow it up with the pillar of autumn. Everything in between, and the circumstances of those events changing in ways, whatever, but its a few key plot points.

At this point though, I don't think its just "we haven't gotten to the events of the games yet" I honestly dont' think we're going to get to any events from the games story, outside of "there is a thing called a halo ring, and it is a weapon". Like i dont' think there will be a pillar of autumn, I think chief will find the halo ring either with soren and his ship, or hitching a ride with makee. If there is somehow more seasons, I think there will never be the invasion of earth, the arbiter and covenant civil war, no artifact in africa, probably no ark. I'm sure there will be a gravemind and flood but i doubt high charity will get taken over or kamakazi into anything.

Like I really don't think theres going to be anything plot wise really from the games anymore. Not that i think that would necessarily make it a bad show or anything, if the story is good if the show is good, then, eh its good on its own merits even if its not the story I wanted/expected to see. Season 2 is better than season 1 definitely, but, not so much I trust them to stick the landing on a wholly original story.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Tighclops posted:

Dark comedy option: it's renewed but with the budget significantly slashed, so we just get another Halo Machinima. (Or would it be worse to just get a Halo Longplay?)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

I dont' think the pillar of autumn will even exist.

I'm half suspecting that one of the artifacts will simply teleport an handful of characters to the Halo and cut out any ship travel all together.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I'm really enjoying this show, and am pleased with how it keeps getting better week after week. I'm surprised they're introducing more involved elements like the Arbiter and Spartan 3's, but it's working so far.

I'm hoping it is renewed for a season 3, but with Paramount in such dire straits it seems so unlikely.

I don't expect it to follow the plot of the games, but it would be interesting how they handle the Halo.

The interesting part about the Halo is the mystery box of what is it, what's on there and who made it. With those questions solved 10 times over in the games it's a wonder whether it would make for interesting television.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

counterfeitsaint posted:

Similar, but it would be more like GoT book readers are eagerly awaiting King Robert to get off his rear end and head to Winterfell to start the events of the books, but HBO decided to dedicate two full seasons to the relatively quiet and boring years between the last rebellion and the events of the novels.

It's like the first season of Runaways where the kids witness their parents go all murder-cult on a bunch of people and then don't runaway, but rather stay exactly where they are for the entire season.

Oh wait, that actually happened.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How likely is it that they get to the Halo by jumping through a portal on Onyx in lieu of the Pillar of Autumn which seemingly doesnt exist in the show. Then instead of a ground war between the Covenant and Marines its just Chief, Kwan and assorted other named characters wandering through the woods because its cheaper to film there before discovering the Flood and then racing back to close the portal so the popcorn zombies don't make it off the ring.

In a world where this show isn't canceled of course

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I can see where the show is trying to go and its a big improvement over S1. I'm very glad the show is going in a different direction than the games, loving and all. But until Mr Chief uses a grenade blast to launch himself 50m in the air this show will never truly be Halo.

Every character is so completely and utterly inept that the existential threat from the covenant can't be that bad because every no human seems to actually want to focus on it, I get that they want to humanise and explore the Spartans but show has failed to balance that in any way with the fundamental extinction war concept that led to Spartans.

The writers already established that character deaths aren't permanent, so there isn't any tension. There are a heap of characters who seemingly serve no purpose and any scenes with them just drag which is a shame because the show has some really good concepts it could spend more time exploring.

The CGI is very hit and miss, maybe they should have gone with puppets for recurring elite characters.

No I will not stop watching.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
That reminds me, just me or are they fiddling with the look of Cortana every episode?

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Monica Bellucci posted:

That reminds me, just me or are they fiddling with the look of Cortana every episode?

I thought she looked more CG this episode, but maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention before.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
I find it kind of funny that we changed from motion capturing Jen Taylor to having someone 20 years younger modeling with the Karen haircut returning while still being voiced by Jen Taylor

Fans are weird

I haven't seen season 2 yet

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Ratjaculation posted:

I can see where the show is trying to go and its a big improvement over S1. I'm very glad the show is going in a different direction than the games, loving and all. But until Mr Chief uses a grenade blast to launch himself 50m in the air this show will never truly be Halo.

I agree it's improvement over S1. If S1 didn't exist, this was the first season, and another one after it had already been greenlit we'd be in a pretty good situation. But that's not the case, they've got 2 more episodes to reach a satisfying conclusion, and fuckin lol

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

AcidCat posted:

I thought she looked more CG this episode, but maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention before.

It must be significantly cheaper to slap a blue filter onto green screened footage of a real actress than it was to render an entirely CG character.

I think they're also applying a bunch of blurs and other constructs to make it look more digital, which looks a bit strange.

They were very proud of their CG Cortana in the first season that was a homogolated mix of the actress that plays Halsey and Jen Taylor. It looked better
... But really, did it add much?

Speaking of saving money, my ideal Halo live action would be moving the production to somewhere like Hawaii where they can get a completely different, tropical look. I don't see that happening however.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Professor Beetus posted:

I love that this episode just spelled out in neon lights "it's not the armor that makes him master chief, it's cortana"

I also liked the first glimpse of the arbiter throwing down as a "heretic"

Even John and Cortana's reunion was basically an Isis/Osiris motif. John is broken and defeated, physically and spiritually, after being betrayed by another demi-god. Cortana appears above John and regenerates him by giving him with his missing pieces: Hope (Makee is alive) and Purpose (kill the fuckin' Arbiter). She then proceeds to lead him magically through the hostile labyrinth of the ONI compound. I know my weird mythopoetic readings of movies and TV can seem far fetched, but they straight up ham-fisted "reviving the consort" into the latest Godzilla reboot. I see stuff like this enough that I think a bunch of screenwriters are all going to the same fruity writing seminars. The divine feminine is 'hot' right now.

Halsey and Lt. Keyes having a reunion in a subterranean (chthonic) bunker in front of a Door to Hell is some straight up Double Goddess Demeter/Persephone plotting.

Edit: I just realized that John had just been abandoned or betrayed by all the women in his life before the return of Perfect Girl Cortana. I don't know how I feel about that.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 8, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah that’s weird as hell. And why some of us fans are like uh we don’t want this for mister chief.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Season will end on Master Chief copulating with a computer. He will have his helmet on.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Hmm, Halo seems to be doing well ratings wise? Don't really know how to make heads of tails of ratings these days. Pretty limited data..

https://twitter.com/EliteFalcon_YT/status/1765889705109835987

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Trash Trick posted:

Hmm, Halo seems to be doing well ratings wise? Don't really know how to make heads of tails of ratings these days. Pretty limited data..

Bigger than the crown and reacher seems somewhat encouraging for the prospects of a third season, if nothing else

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
I remember when TV shows had 20+ episodes a season and were released each year.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Trash Trick posted:

Yeah that's encouraging. I really hope it gets another season since it's really hitting its stride now.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
That count excluding mobiles and computer devices seems interesting, given the general demographic Halo caters too would often watch on one of those.

That, or :filez:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Definitely seems like one of the shows huge on Plex

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Marsupial Ape posted:

Even John and Cortana's reunion was basically an Isis/Osiris motif. John is broken and defeated, physically and spiritually, after being betrayed by another demi-god. Cortana appears above John and regenerates him by giving him with his missing pieces: Hope (Makee is alive) and Purpose (kill the fuckin' Arbiter). She then proceeds to lead him magically through the hostile labyrinth of the ONI compound. I know my weird mythopoetic readings of movies and TV can seem far fetched, but they straight up ham-fisted "reviving the consort" into the latest Godzilla reboot. I see stuff like this enough that I think a bunch of screenwriters are all going to the same fruity writing seminars. The divine feminine is 'hot' right now.

Halsey and Lt. Keyes having a reunion in a subterranean (chthonic) bunker in front of a Door to Hell is some straight up Double Goddess Demeter/Persephone plotting.

Edit: I just realized that John had just been abandoned or betrayed by all the women in his life before the return of Perfect Girl Cortana. I don't know how I feel about that.

I watch it so I can stare at Ackerson's neck mole

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

grittyreboot posted:

I watch it so I can stare at Ackerson's neck mole

It is spooky, isn’t it?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Which one?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Chief gonna gently caress it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ratjaculation posted: