Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Seems like it's in the spirit of the series that we can rumor mill something about it until it's real.

Obviously it's all Nyarlathotep's plan to finally come back to the franchise... wait poo poo im falling for his trap

On one hand a Persona 4 remake would not be that out of hand given they did Reload after rereleasing Portable so there's precedent, and also we live in Remake era... but like, besides better graphics, full voice overs and something like Theurgy what could they add that would be a novelty compared to Golden which is already jam packed? Unless they rewrite SLinks but that carries the risk of making them worse, making Devil an actual romance or heavens forbid, changing Sun's Drama Rank 10.

The VA thing would be easier though besides Nanako and maybe Rise (since Laura Bailey didn't reprise in P4 Dancing, but it could have been scheduling or another reason) since I'd guess most of the cast would be willing to give it a go again unless they also recast all the main characters ala Reload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean I guess a P4 remake could be okay if they actually fixed the game.

but I have a feeling nobody is going to rewrite the entire game from the ground up, so leave it I say

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

The VA thing would be easier though besides Nanako and maybe Rise (since Laura Bailey didn't reprise in P4 Dancing, but it could have been scheduling or another reason) since I'd guess most of the cast would be willing to give it a go again unless they also recast all the main characters ala Reload.

This might just be me projecting, but I feel like there might be more of an uproar with P4 changing its entire cast than with 3. Again, might just be a me thing, but 3's voice-acting was not great, and even though it had some pretty notable VAs din it, I'm not sure Akihiko is ever gonna be considered one of Liam O'Brien's iconic roles.

But I kinda hope we don't have to test it and find out.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm not sure Akihiko is ever gonna be considered one of Liam O'Brien's iconic roles.

??????

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He is the only reason that character is memorable in that version

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Persona 4 doesn't even keep its cast consistent from game to game, I think it could survive a Reload-style recast.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Maybe it's just a matter of what your first exposure to an actor is, but Akihiko is certainly one of the first characters I think of when I think about Liam O'Brien performances.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Let's all fancast it, Protag is Stephen Fu now

Adachi should still be JYB tho

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

bring back original chie and replace everyone else

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They could ask Troy Baker to come back and play Kanji, only for him to laugh in their face.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

This guy gets it

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

:hmmyes: ok, I'm all for a P4 remake now

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ImpAtom posted:

They could ask Troy Baker to come back and play Kanji, only for him to laugh in their face.

He came back for Vincent in the Catherine remake though?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
why wouldn't he want to voice Kanji again? Last I heard he was genuinely fond of the character and the only reason he didn't voice him for the anime or whatever was a scheduling thing

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Old lady Chie was better

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
baker's gone funny in the head over the last several years but if his comments about tales of vesperia are any indication he still has a lot of fondness for his earlier roles

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CullenDaGaDee posted:

Maybe it's just a matter of what your first exposure to an actor is, but Akihiko is certainly one of the first characters I think of when I think about Liam O'Brien performances.

That's fair. I first heard him as Gaara in Naruto. Whatever one thinks about Naruto's quality, it's a massively popular series and Gaara is one of its most popular characters. I think it be fair to say it's his most iconic role beyond just "first exposure" bias.

After that, it'd get more arguable. I next heard him as Caius in FFXIII-2 and Grimoire Weiss in NieR. I dunno what all they did in the version they released a few years ago but original English Nier was only really popular with a tiny subset of JRPG nerds. I'm sure more folks knew him as Akihiko than Weiss.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
We should get a P4R so people can debate over VA changes again, it'll be just like when Golden was released.

CullenDaGaDee posted:

It's not my first, but I do think that Akihiko is fairly memorable as an O'Brien performance. Saab still does a good job and he genuinely likes all the memes about him, however.

It's Shinjiro that I feel lost the most impact in the new VA role. Doesn't have as much emotional variety as Grant George showed in the P3 (especially on FeMC route).

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

We should get a P4R so people can debate over VA changes again, it'll be just like when Golden was released.

It's not my first, but I do think that Akihiko is fairly memorable as an O'Brien performance. Saab still does a good job and he genuinely likes all the memes about him, however.

It's Shinjiro that I feel lost the most impact in the new VA role. Doesn't have as much emotional variety as Grant George showed in the P3 (especially on FeMC route).

I thought new Shinjiro was fine. I don't particularly like new Yukari but surprisingly the biggest flop for me was new Ryoji. He just doesn't do emotions in his voice. Old Ryoji revealing the Fall sounded like he was on the verge of ugly crying, the new one sounds like he's sorry but your insurance doesn't cover that and you're going to have to pay out of pocket, but your business is still important to him.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
One of the voices I miss the most is Dan Woren as Igor, I think his performance for the character is perfect. Gets that right tone for slightly ethereal and unnerving but you can tell he means well.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I posted this a while back, an analysis on the Metaphor probable class system, but if my theories are true, I do think it was a dry run for a P2/1 remake to see how the Everyone Is Wild Card style would work... honestly Soul Hackers 2 was also probably a bit of a dry run too.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
As much as I love P4G, I can’t imagine how much they’d have to rework some of it so as to not come off as the most tone deaf game ever made.

Kanji and Naomi’s storylines would need to be reworked a good bit, I fear.

On the one hand, I only ever played maybe half of the P3P upscale whatever before the lack of QoL and the non-Tartar Sauce parts being a point n click game caused me to lose interest, so I greatly appreciate P3R feeling like a modern game, but I think the feel of P4G is fine as is.

Even going from P5-P5R, I don’t feel like they really managed to tone down some of the more problematic content enough. And I feel like audiences are getting less and less tolerant (as they should).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're going to do next to no work to dress up P4's story, and you need to be ready for that

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think Naoto's storyline is relatively easy to update for little trouble, "woman concerned about being taken seriously in a male dominated field and feels she needs to act performatively masculine" is probably fine without like... three lines that put it over the line into "ugh, what are you saying game?"

Kanji's takes more work just because it is so coached in the Gay Panic stuff. I think you'd probably need to start from scratch with his dungeon if nothing else.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Arist posted:

They're going to do next to no work to dress up P4's story, and you need to be ready for that

good, let's get HD sauna dungeon

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Persona 4 Golden Reload will have Yosuke Romance and Mitsuo as a party member.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Erg posted:

good, let's get HD sauna dungeon

The sauna was mostly fine! I like Kanji's arc!

ImpAtom posted:

I think Naoto's storyline is relatively easy to update for little trouble, "woman concerned about being taken seriously in a male dominated field and feels she needs to act performatively masculine" is probably fine without like... three lines that put it over the line into "ugh, what are you saying game?"

Kanji's takes more work just because it is so coached in the Gay Panic stuff. I think you'd probably need to start from scratch with his dungeon if nothing else.

I'm repeating myself, but: you need to expect less. They're not going to change anything major. I'm seeing people already lining up to kick this football and I'm extremely confused.

(Also Naoto's arc is the thing that actually should be changed! Her romance especially is so bad!)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

The sauna was mostly fine! I like Kanji's arc!

I'm repeating myself, but: you need to expect less. They're not going to change anything major. I'm seeing people already lining up to kick this football and I'm extremely confused.

(Also Naoto's arc is the thing that actually should be changed! Her romance especially is so bad!)

You have literally no proof of that, no. You're the one deciding that P3R's changes aren't big enough for you but that's entirely yours and there are enough things in P3R changed that it is clear they have at least been listening to the complaints. (Not always successfully but at least attempted.)

If your idea of Persona 4 being fixed is "Naoto is made trans and Kanji is super gay" then you would be disappointed because that was never really the intended plot and I doubt the Persona team could handle that. "Naoto's plot is made more clearly about her feeling like she can't be a woman and be taken seriously" and "Kanji's plot is that he likes traditionally feminine things and is worried he will be belittled and insulted for that" and something they can easily adjust and fix, they're not impossible tightropes to walk, it just involves being more careful with your writing.

Likewise, if you're expecting them to change the entire plot so that the party becomes true rebels who reject social norms then you're also going to be disappointed because it isn't that kind of game, and even a 'fixed' Persona 4 is going to end with most of the party becoming comfortable with themselves because that is the kind of game it is. (And the kind of company Atlus is.)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I seriously have no idea what you're on about in those latter two paragraphs but I'm not assuming that based on nothing. What I've played of Reload in comparison to FES was extremely similar. Minor edits to scenes at most. I'm of the opinion that P3 needed a much more radical overhaul and they did none of that. There's simply no reason to think they'd take a different approach with 4.

Can you please stop blowing up at me over not liking these remakes?

Arist fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 9, 2024

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Bro I'm gonna be real you're coming into these things with very definitive statements based off of your own opinions that others have disagreed with. If you keep doing that people are going to get a bit more aggressive.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

I seriously have no idea what you're on about in those latter two paragraphs but I'm not assuming that based on nothing, dude. What I've played of Reload in comparison to FES was extremely similar. Minor edits to scenes at most. I'm of the opinion that P3 needed a much more radical overhaul and they did none of that. There's simply no reason to think they'd take a different approach with 4.

Nobody discussing this expects Persona 4 Reload if/when it exists to be akin to Final Fantasy 7 remake. You can make notable changes to a game without it being completely different. If you're trying to demand people not get their hopes up for a Remake-style game then that's fine but you're also not discussing anything that people are actually expecting. Pretty much anyone who went into Reload went into it expecting something like the Dead Space remake. Same plot and events, fleshed out and gussied up and with some expansions. And that's what we got.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

I seriously have no idea what you're on about in those latter two paragraphs but I'm not assuming that based on nothing. What I've played of Reload in comparison to FES was extremely similar. Minor edits to scenes at most. I'm of the opinion that P3 needed a much more radical overhaul and they did none of that. There's simply no reason to think they'd take a different approach with 4.

Bro you spent the entire lead up to P3R talking about how terrible the game is going to be and then proceeded to play FES and seemingly 3R when it came out anyways. It's hard to take you seriously when it seems like you get extremely negative about everything related to this.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 9, 2024

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Arist posted:

Bitches about the games then bitches about getting called out for bitching.

:laffo:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

Nobody discussing this expects Persona 4 Reload if/when it exists to be akin to Final Fantasy 7 remake. You can make notable changes to a game without it being completely different. If you're trying to demand people not get their hopes up for a Remake-style game then that's fine but you're also not discussing anything that people are actually expecting. Pretty much anyone who went into Reload went into it expecting something like the Dead Space remake. Same plot and events, fleshed out and gussied up and with some expansions. And that's what we got.

This doesn't feel like a productive conversation at this point because we're talking past each other. I don't know where you got the idea that it needed to be FFVIIR-level. It was suggested they might make some manner of changes to character arcs, my point was that Reload doesn't really do that (or at least, not in a way that would apply to addressing some of P4's fumbles). It's weird because I think we're actually somewhat agreeing? I just don't think they're going to make notable changes to character arcs.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Bro you spent the entire lead up to P3R talking about how terrible the game is going to be and then proceeded to play FES and seemingly 3R when it came out anyways. It's hard to take you seriously when it seems like you get extremely negative about everything related to this.

I actually wanted to try Reload in part for the new voice acting but yeah, I'm kinda negative on it. I don't think that's invalid. I started replaying FES before Reload was announced because it had been like a dozen years since I'd last tried it and I wanted context, but it kinda sapped my will to play all that much of Reload in addition to laying bare that I think P3 is a pretty fundamentally flawed game. If I hadn't replayed FES, I might have not noticed the bits that they papered over in Reload quite as easily but that's my mistake I guess.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Junpei posted:

I posted this a while back, an analysis on the Metaphor probable class system, but if my theories are true, I do think it was a dry run for a P2/1 remake to see how the Everyone Is Wild Card style would work... honestly Soul Hackers 2 was also probably a bit of a dry run too.

P1-2 is not really "everyone is wild card" since there's a lot of differences in compatibility per character and various arcana. In 1 you also had the characters only be able to equip 3 at any time, thus making sure the summoning pool in-battle is not an easy cheese. All you'd have to do is tighten that system up a bit for a remake that would still use the same energy.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

wologar posted:

Persona 4 Golden Reload will have Yosuke Romance and Mitsuo as a party member.

In all seriousness, I wonder if Marie being playable would make her more popular? I actually like her and I'm still baffled by the fact they introduced this de facto new member of the Investigation Team, and yet they don't let us take her into combat at all.

They fixed this with the requisite New Girl in P5R from what I know.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Arist posted:

ImpAtom's been engaging you in good faith at every turn, you've been insufferably hostile about everything P3R-related for months.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i'll admit that, i like p3 guys design more than p3 ladys but its still a shame that reload can't really be Called the definitive version after like, 2 other versions of p3 and i think her route seems p cool too?? :(

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

NikkolasKing posted:

In all seriousness, I wonder if Marie being playable would make her more popular?

I'd give her bonus points if she could join the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

NikkolasKing posted:

In all seriousness, I wonder if Marie being playable would make her more popular? I actually like her and I'm still baffled by the fact they introduced this de facto new member of the Investigation Team, and yet they don't let us take her into combat at all.

They fixed this with the requisite New Girl in P5R from what I know.

Why is Marie disliked? Haven't played Golden, and don't know if I ever will (despite owning it on the Vita since forever ago).