Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Stagecoach is amazing.

John Carpenter loves Rio Bravo so much he's remade it almost three times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

galenanorth posted:

Nyad was such a great movie. "It may look like a solitary sport, but it takes a team" from the end is the quote of the movie. It encapsulates all the personal growth involved

I turned it off after about ten minutes as both my wife and I thought it was absolute garbage. Incredibly badly written. Dialogue and direction so bad that it made two excellent actors seem dreadful.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

this is probably both my favorite John Wayne and John Ford movie of the ones I've seen, although The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is up there for both

Stagecoach is so good I'm actively annoyed that a coward like John Wayne got to be the star of it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

this is probably both my favorite John Wayne and John Ford movie of the ones I've seen, although The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is up there for both

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is a great classic Western, and would be good to compare to revisionist Westerns specifically because it’s about building the myth of the West. Also I love me some drunk Edmond O’Brien acting.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

X-Ray Pecs posted:

How can you tell you’re watching the right version before the end? I watched the good version, but didn’t realize until afterwards there were alternate endings.

FreudianSlippers posted:

If everyone is dubbed in Italian it's the good version if everyone is dubbed in English it might be the wrong one.

I think.

If the opening title reads "The Big Silence" that's one sign it's been edited.

I wouldn't worry about stumbling across the happy ending or the ambiguous ending. I've seen it in both Italian/English and they were both correct. The alternate endings are available on disc but are clearly marked.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I was gonna say Rio Bravo before I realized that it was Hawks. Hope I'm not the only one who constantly mixes up Huston and Hawks.

I don't wanna embarrass you but I think you also just mixed them both up with John Ford

(you're not the only one, I do it too)

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Huston = Treasure of the Sierra Madre, a certified banger
Hawks = Rio Bravo, a certified banger
Ford = My Darling Clementine, a certified banger

Hope this clears it up!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I recognize Ford from the eye patch and Huston from his great portrayal of a gross patriarch in Chinatown. I have zero clue what Hawks looks like. And I'm going to continue mixing up all their films.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Huston = Treasure of the Sierra Madre, a certified banger
Hawks = Rio Bravo, a certified banger
Ford = My Darling Clementine, a certified banger

Hope this clears it up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDN4L7cAQf0

Doesn't really fit anywhere in the pantheon so gently caress you I guess, nerd

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

lol

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fatal_exam

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Speaking of My Darling Clementine, I had no idea Wyatt Earp was a real person. I had only ever heard his name associated with the Tombstone movie from the 90s. And that I only know because I think I saw it in a BIG NO compilation on YT.

But anyway, my crash course in Westerns has taught me the original movie is based on a biography which is full of lies from Earp, and he fed even more lies to Ford. I guess Tombstone is maybe more accurate. No idea which is the better film, though.

Much like Wayne, just have to separate art from the reality. My Darling Clementine is apparently a great film.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lmao

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched Fatal Exam. Specifically, I watched the first hour of Fatal Exam last night, and the second hour of Fatal Exam tonight. Because, and I can't stress this enough, Fatal Exam is two hours long.

The weird lines and awkward delivery are often funny, but nowhere near enough to make two hours of it worth watching. The horror element is not done well. It's one thing to not be scary, but it's so far away from scary it makes you wonder if anyone involved in the production of the movie had ever experienced fear

There is a stop motion demon at the end, but it is not charming like all of the stop motion monsters from Winterbeast.

Fatal Exam is like the perfect fodder for Redlettermedia to do on their Best of the Worst series. They'd cut in some particularly good lines, show off the unflattering fashion and haircuts that literally every member of the cast has, and crack some jokes about the moustaches failing to make the male protagonist and antagonist look like anything other than man-sized babies.

But as a movie to watch on it's own merits, Fatal Exam gets and F.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jay Rust posted:

What always bothered me about this scene was, why does Adam driver have a guitar? He doesn’t touch it during the song

Like Dermott in The Venture Bros.

Gaius Marius posted:

OVA's, at least back in the golden age, tended to look expensive and well produced. Netflix struggles to make $100 Million dollar movies that don't look like student films.

The one OVA I remember is the Sonic the Hedgehog movie, which even as a kid I pegged as being clearly a multi-part pilot for an unmade anime, with clear episode breaks every 22 ish minutes. (and I think a running gag of a smash cut after someone shouted 'SONIC-') Also a kickass soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOs7v6DJlAg

I wouldn't be surprised if that was common, Macross Plus sounds somewhat similar there. ...and of all things I'm suddenly remembering the Western counterpart, a direct to video animated movie set in Little Golden Book Land I watched as a kid, which even had an introductory theme song using clips from the movie which I'm pretty sure also had, if you looked carefully, some obvious episode break points, and introduced various characters in a way clearly intending to make them regulars. (That is, The Little Engine That Could, The Poky Little Puppy, The Shy Little Kitten... yeah, Little Golden Book cinematic universe)

And on the other end of things, the straight to DVD sequel to Atlantis: The Lost Empire was extremely clearly three episodes from an otherwise unproduced TV series stitched together.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jay Rust posted:

What always bothered me about this scene was, why does Adam driver have a guitar? He doesn’t touch it during the song

Maybe they played some other songs during the session before Llewyn showed up.

Maybe he didn't know what to do with his hands so he was handed a guitar to have something to hold.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Late to the diegetic music discussion, but I watched Final Cut yesterday and enjoyed this joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_tbRizS3Kg

The lines are: "Fatih, cut it out!" and "Sorry".

It's a remake of the Japanese One Cut of the Dead, and it's... fine. But the original is a very tight 97 minutes and the remake is an unnecessary 111 minutes and feels it. There are a few amusing winks about it being a remake, like the Japanese producer insisting that they stick 100% to the original script, so all the characters have Japanese names, but that's pretty much all they add; they should have done more with that. I mostly watched it because I like Romain Duris. Oh, it was directed by Michel Hazanavicius of OSS 117.

Anyway, watch One Cut of the Dead.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Speaking of My Darling Clementine, I had no idea Wyatt Earp was a real person. I had only ever heard his name associated with the Tombstone movie from the 90s. And that I only know because I think I saw it in a BIG NO compilation on YT.

But anyway, my crash course in Westerns has taught me the original movie is based on a biography which is full of lies from Earp, and he fed even more lies to Ford. I guess Tombstone is maybe more accurate. No idea which is the better film, though.

Much like Wayne, just have to separate art from the reality. My Darling Clementine is apparently a great film.

Something I find pretty interesting about the history of the western is the movie industry started when some of those figures were around - Wyatt Earp himself was still alive when he was first portrayed in a movie. Admittedly in a minor role, but still!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/inwardempirepodcast/episodes/2016-03-28T14_16_10-07_00

The Inward Empire (rip) episode on the quick move from reality to myth by the participants in the West is fascinating.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gripweed posted:

I watched Fatal Exam. Specifically, I watched the first hour of Fatal Exam last night, and the second hour of Fatal Exam tonight. Because, and I can't stress this enough, Fatal Exam is two hours long.

The weird lines and awkward delivery are often funny, but nowhere near enough to make two hours of it worth watching. The horror element is not done well. It's one thing to not be scary, but it's so far away from scary it makes you wonder if anyone involved in the production of the movie had ever experienced fear

There is a stop motion demon at the end, but it is not charming like all of the stop motion monsters from Winterbeast.

Fatal Exam is like the perfect fodder for Redlettermedia to do on their Best of the Worst series. They'd cut in some particularly good lines, show off the unflattering fashion and haircuts that literally every member of the cast has, and crack some jokes about the moustaches failing to make the male protagonist and antagonist look like anything other than man-sized babies.

But as a movie to watch on it's own merits, Fatal Exam gets and F.

For some reason I kept mixing this title up with FATAL GAMES, which rocks.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Steen71 posted:

Late to the diegetic music discussion, but I watched Final Cut yesterday and enjoyed this joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_tbRizS3Kg

The lines are: "Fatih, cut it out!" and "Sorry".

It's a remake of the Japanese One Cut of the Dead, and it's... fine. But the original is a very tight 97 minutes and the remake is an unnecessary 111 minutes and feels it. There are a few amusing winks about it being a remake, like the Japanese producer insisting that they stick 100% to the original script, so all the characters have Japanese names, but that's pretty much all they add; they should have done more with that. I mostly watched it because I like Romain Duris. Oh, it was directed by Michel Hazanavicius of OSS 117.

Anyway, watch One Cut of the Dead.

Duris was also in The Animal Kingdom that came out last year, which was pretty good (especially the special effects) and sounds like a much better monster movie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And on the other end of things, the straight to DVD sequel to Atlantis: The Lost Empire was extremely clearly three episodes from an otherwise unproduced TV series stitched together.

There was also a DTV sequel to Disney’s Tarzan that was basically a clip show, but the clips were each three whole episodes.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

There was also a DTV sequel to Disney’s Tarzan that was basically a clip show, but the clips were each three whole episodes.

This is how most of the Disney DTV sequels worked, actually.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Any goon takes on Argylle? I know I'm rolling the dice watching this one. Movie night with the gang and whatnot.

Hopefully it's at least better than Operation Fortune.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 9, 2024

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Has anyone watched Ricky Stanicky on Amazon (Peter Farrelly with John Cena). I did some work on the financing. Never actually read the script but people really liked it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

therattle posted:

Has anyone watched Ricky Stanicky on Amazon (Peter Farrelly with John Cena). I did some work on the financing. Never actually read the script but people really liked it.

Watched it yesterday with my wife, we both laughed a number of times. I thought it lost some steam in the second half, though, and saw the ending coming from a mile away, but it was enjoyable. We've seen a few comedies with Cena in them and he's always pretty entertaining.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

From the marketing I've seen it seems like the sort of silly little comedy that used to be commonplace but is a bit endangered these days.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

True Romance: directors cut or theatrical cut? Answer quick!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

Probably the theatrical. Very few directors cuts are actually what the director wanted. (The "Directors Cut" of David Lunch's Dune is officially directed by Alan Smithee).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Theatrical. There’s some disappointing omissions in the directors cut

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Ricky Stanicky will be a hit

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Tarantino said True Romance’s alternate ending (which follows his sceenplay) would’ve fit better if he directed the film, but Tony Scott’s ending fit the film Tony Scott directed, and I agree

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pirate Jet posted:

This is how most of the Disney DTV sequels worked, actually.

Kinda funny given Return of Jafar was basically the setup for the Aladdin cartoon series, and King of Thieves pretty much was a movie-length finale for said series.

It was also pretty good. Homer Simpson's VA voiced the Genie.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gripweed posted:

Director's cut! I listened to the commentary by Tony Scott too, it's just a few mins of cool stuff etc. Doesn't have the alternate ending or anything, and there are also plenty of deleted scenes on the disc that are not put back in. Just an unambiguously better director's cut.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Goddamnit

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Heavy Metal posted:

Any goon takes on Argylle? I know I'm rolling the dice watching this one. Movie night with the gang and whatnot.

Insane dogshit, the JURASSIC WORLD of movies.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
People were posting clips of the action scenes on Twitter and they were unbelievably bad. Wide angles with tons of negative space, few shots that emphasized the action, weirdly sterile violence, and kooky premises that don’t translate to interesting fights.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

True Romance is good.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Insane dogshit, the JURASSIC WORLD of movies.

But JURASSIC WORLD is the JURASSIC WORLD of movies?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Barely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm rewatching Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. It's still really good, but in kind of a sophomoric way, like I can't really explain it but even for a 2007 movie some of the photography and editing and production design feels really amateur, art film poo poo. But in a good way? Some of the shot angles/camera moves (and that bizarre flashing smash cut to each character's flashback) just feel awkward, you know? It's weirdly charming.

So the director is some cat named Lumet? I realized I've never actually seen any of his other films, though I'm familiar with Serpico (through parodies mostly) and vaguely familiar with the story of Dog Day Afternoon. Are they like this, kind of basic and raw in a way that gets things across? Which one should I watch first?

Ethan Hawke's disguise looks like he's straight out of the music video to Sabotage by the Beastie Boys, and Philip Seymour Hoffman wears these yellow shirts that just accentuate how much he looks like he has high blood pressure. But the cast is stacked and the writing is extremely compelling. Also, Marisa Tomei is a goddess.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 9, 2024