Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean goons falling for obvious chud bullshit.

That's the perennially reoccurring thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that at least i can understand as Captain_Maclaine stated but like now its stupid.

Oh absolutely. I just wanted to point out that in early 2020 there was briefly reason to believe he might not be able to really get the fire burning, which he eventually demonstrated was not the case.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Oh absolutely. I just wanted to point out that in early 2020 there was briefly reason to believe he might not be able to really get the fire burning, which he eventually demonstrated was not the case.

yeah. i wasnt meaning as a thing against you. i was agreeing. but like i still see people saying i though way less after last night.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean goons falling for obvious chud bullshit.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh yeah absolutely we are all morons constantly falling for poo poo

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i wasnt meaning as a thing against you. i was agreeing. but like i still see people saying i though way less after last night.

People were saying that because he had made a string of gaffes in a row over the last few months that made him look like he had lost a step - mixing up the leaders of Egypt and Mexico, calling the current President of France Mitterand, calling Angela Merkel Helmut Kohl, etc. Acknowledging that these were gaffes that probably wouldn’t help his chances of being reelected isn’t “accepting the CHUD narrative;” it’s acknowledging reality. I agree with you that people who expected him to turn to dust and waft away mid speech last night were being silly. Biden acquitted himself well last night, even if I find parts of his speech reprehensible. If the image of his candidacy is what we saw last night, he could win. If he looks weak and infirm, and thus reifies one of the main concerns that his coalition has about him, he’ll have a tougher time of winning. That’s not right-wing framing; as others pointed out, the left has been attacking him on that front since before 2020, because hey, it’s effective.

e: Forbes has a handy "gaffe tracker" for Biden and Trump in the current election season. Okay, "handy" is probably an overstatement, it's a really dumb thing, but at least it's detailed!

Majorian fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 9, 2024

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Majorian posted:

People were saying that because he had made a string of gaffes in a row over the last few months that made him look like he had lost a step - mixing up the leaders of Egypt and Mexico, calling the current President of France Mitterand, calling Angela Merkel Helmut Kohl, etc. Acknowledging that these were gaffes that probably wouldn’t help his chances of being reelected isn’t “accepting the CHUD narrative;” it’s acknowledging reality.

This has always been disputed though, it isn't acknowledging reality; certainly not a reality that in context people in the thread agree with.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

I'm getting deja vu. All of this happened 4 years ago verbatim. People, including goons, were convinced that the debates were going to feature Biden's brain leaking out of his ears in real time. When he acquitted himself well, it instantly turned to speculation on whether was doped up on magic anti dementia drugs that only worked for an hour at a time. Somehow this pattern repeated for both the Bernie and Trump debates despite happening months apart. Just baffling.

And the absolutely dumb thing about it all is that pretty much any speech that Biden gives proves that he's not demented. This has been the case back in 2020 as well. Yeah, he's old, and I didn't like all that mumbling in the first half of the speech (sometimes I couldn't fully figure out what he was saying). But he's coherent, has always been coherent, etc. I think he could do well with slowing down a bit, though.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

This has always been disputed though, it isn't acknowledging reality; certainly not a reality that in context people in the thread agree with.

The polls show what they show: voters, including half of Democrats, are concerned with Biden’s age and health. His performance last night will probably lessen that trend, but we’ll see if he can keep it up.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
And it's pretty much because the media has been beating that drum precisely to stir poo poo up.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Kchama posted:

And it's pretty much because the media has been beating that drum precisely to stir poo poo up.

I think it’s more because Biden is the oldest president we’ve ever had, and Reagan, who was younger, was fully senile by his second term. The media has amplified things, but these concerns are organic.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Southern Border and Biden's Gaffes being perennial Republican shouting points, you'd think some folks would have caught the rhythm by now.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Majorian posted:

The polls show what they show: voters, including half of Democrats, are concerned with Biden’s age and health. His performance last night will probably lessen that trend, but we’ll see if he can keep it up.

The polls are all prior to the SOTU.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Majorian posted:

I think it’s more because Biden is the oldest president we’ve ever had, and Reagan, who was younger, was fully senile by his second term. The media has amplified things, but these concerns are organic.

Not really, people have come into this thread and used gaffes that Biden has been making forever as proof that Biden has handlers and doesn't even know what day it is. Those aren't organic concerns those are people either buying into right wing propaganda or pretending to in order to "own the libs"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The polls are all prior to the SOTU.

Like I said in my post, the SOTU will probably change those numbers somewhat.

socialsecurity posted:

Not really, people have come into this thread and used gaffes that Biden has been making forever as proof that Biden has handlers and doesn't even know what day it is. Those aren't organic concerns those are people either buying into right wing propaganda or pretending to in order to "own the libs"

Can you prove that the accusations you’re making are true?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Internet left has been fully captured by the right.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Majorian posted:

Like I said in my post, the SOTU will probably change those numbers somewhat.

Can you prove that the accusations you’re making are true?

FizFashizzle posted:

Of course verbal fluency is a measure of cognition and history of gaffs aside, Biden’s presentation over the past four years is concerning. Biden’s (handlers are) smart enough not to come out and state he went 0/5 on delayed recall like Trump did, but it just how Biden acts when he’s speaking extemporaneously is obviously not just “slowing down.”

And the whole stutter thing has never been very convincing to me. This only became an issue during Iowa where he was very clearly struggling to keep it together. The stutter was never a problem when he was burying Paul Ryan on live television. Ot was never mentioned during the other two times he ran for president.

Biden can’t complete sentences later in the day and all of a sudden it’s a stutter.

FizFashizzle posted:

^^ no I basically went “this looks just like dementia in a man in his eighties who’s had multiple CVAs and claiming “well actually it’s a stutter we’ve never mentioned he had” is very suspect.

There’s never been a mention of him having a stutter. There’s no Google results for this from before 2020. It’s about and well sourced and the random black guy who’s legs he feeled up when he was working and a life guard. And fwiw Biden himself said the “stutter” isn’t a problem with his speech.

https://www.axios.com/2019/12/08/joe-biden-stuttering-verbal-stumbles

I don’t mean to discount your own lived experiences and I’m not a speech pathologist but the stutter excuse never cut mustard for me.

Just based on what we see of him it’s atleast MCI with a mild cognitive communication deficit.

Just the first few I saw, there's plenty more and I don't want to spam, if you would like more give me a number that you would actually accept.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

Just the first few I saw, there's plenty more and I don't want to spam, if you would like more give me a number that you would actually accept.

I'm actually asking you to back up your accusation that people are bringing up Biden's age and health because they've either been duped by the right or are trolling the thread, and not because they are actually concerned about Biden's age and health.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

The Internet left has been fully captured by the right.

This is enormously stupid.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Majorian posted:

I'm actually asking you to back up your accusation that people are bringing up Biden's age and health because they've either been duped by the right or are trolling the thread, and not because they are actually concerned about Biden's age and health.
The right is flooding the zone with propaganda about Biden's age without concern for facts. They have an obvious partisan motivation to do so and a well funded network of propaganda outlets. The left has neither, so :shrug:. Concerns about age are one thing, but like 5 straight years of 'Puddin Biden' is a little more curious. And concerning in that its a known fact that there was a spigot of russian money targeting influential leftists.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Majorian posted:

I'm pretty sure you remember admitting to it a little bit ago.

Majorian posted:

Cool - I believe both of you that you understood what he was saying. I was probably looking at what he said uncharitably.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm pretty sure you remember admitting to it a little bit ago.

Admitting what, that my perception of that event was different from other people’s here?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

If I see a poll showing 50ish percent of respondents think each candidate is too old, guess who I am assuming said that of each candidate?

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Shammypants posted:

If I see a poll showing 50ish percent of respondents think each candidate is too old, guess who I am assuming said that of each candidate?

I’m having trouble working out what you mean here. “Guess who” from what categories? If they’re referring to “the other guy” then I’m assuming the answer must be the *other* other guy’s supporters.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Majorian posted:

That’s not right-wing framing; as others pointed out, the left has been attacking him on that front since before 2020, because hey, it’s effective.

I don't know about that. Bernie Sanders obviously wasn't going after Biden's age, since he's older and had a heart attack during his campaign. If I remember right the age issue was mostly Buttigieg's thing. It's also hard to call it effective when Biden easily won the primary (unless your idea is that Sanders would have won if he had attacked Biden's age, even though it didn't work for Buttigieg?) I don't recall the left in congress criticizing Biden's age at all, either.

I'm not sure how you get to "the left has been attacking Biden's age since before 2020" unless "the left" just means some twitter users.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Majorian posted:

Admitting what, that my perception of that event was different from other people’s here?

That you have a bias.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

James Garfield posted:

I don't know about that. Bernie Sanders obviously wasn't going after Biden's age, since he's older and had a heart attack during his campaign. If I remember right the age issue was mostly Buttigieg's thing. It's also hard to call it effective when Biden easily won the primary (unless your idea is that Sanders would have won if he had attacked Biden's age, even though it didn't work for Buttigieg?) I don't recall the left in congress criticizing Biden's age at all, either.

I'm not sure how you get to "the left has been attacking Biden's age since before 2020" unless "the left" just means some twitter users.

Jacobin ran a piece entitled, "Joe Biden Is Not All There Mentally. Running Him for President Is Incredibly Dangerous" in May 2020. It was hardly the first such piece in a left-of-center publication that election cycle, nor would it be the last. (but it was very easy to find)

e: A number of more mainstream publications put out pieces with more or less the same thing that cycle, too: (these are all from 2019)

NYT: "Are Biden and Sanders Too Old to Be President?"
AP: ‘Just too darn old:' Sanders, Biden confront age concerns
Time: Nearly 40% of Americans Think Presidents in Their 70s Are Too Old

Majorian fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 9, 2024

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

On the whole "presidents cant be sued" thing, I thought the Nixon case was about actions the President did while in office? Is the immunity actually retroactive to everything the President ever did, even as a private citizen? That seems completely wild.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Majorian posted:

Jacobin ran a piece entitled, "Joe Biden Is Not All There Mentally. Running Him for President Is Incredibly Dangerous" in May 2020. It was hardly the first such piece in a left-of-center publication that election cycle, nor would it be the last. (but it was very easy to find)

I assumed when you said "the left" you meant something that matters like actual politicians running for office to Biden's left, rather than some article in a magazine with a circulation of 75,000.

edit: that article is also endorsing a candidate who's older than Biden, so I'm skeptical it qualifies as attacking Biden for his age

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 9, 2024

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

James Garfield posted:

I assumed when you said "the left" you meant something that matters like actual politicians running for office to Biden's left, rather than some article in a magazine with a circulation of 75,000.

That's their print publication; they have 3 million monthly visitors online. Not the biggest publication, of course, but saying that they don't matter is pretty intellectually lazy IMO.

e:

quote:

edit: that article is also endorsing a candidate who's older than Biden, so I'm skeptical it qualifies as attacking Biden for his age

We are discussing Biden's mental acuity as it relates to his age.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 9, 2024

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

On the whole "presidents cant be sued" thing, I thought the Nixon case was about actions the President did while in office? Is the immunity actually retroactive to everything the President ever did, even as a private citizen? That seems completely wild.

Nah, it’s that they can’t be sued for stuff inside the “outer perimeter” of their office. Presidents can be sued for pre-term stuff, that was a big part of the whole Paula Jones thing.

The first E. Jean Carrol case (which is, confusingly, the recent $90 million one) was actually brought against Trump for stuff he said while in office, during his term. It took ages because of questions like this and Bill Barr running interference, and that’s why the other time he defamed her got resolved before that one could be. It lasted the remainder of his term, through a whole other civil trial and up until a few months ago.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Majorian posted:

I've DM'd you the evidence to support the claim, as it wouldn't be appropriate to post the evidence in the thread.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also the best part is you can tell greene is pissed that he doesnt react the way she wants him too. its great.

Yeah, she wanted him to grimace or scowl in disgust but got him to do "look at this joker" instead. The MAGAts want your hate, not you laughing at them.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

drilldo squirt posted:

That you have a bias.

Everyone has biases. Only someone who has utterly deluded themselves believes they don't.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I'm talking about him believing something because he wants to and being a crazy person who wants others to believe it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Majorian posted:

The media has amplified things, but these concerns are organic.

"these concerns are organic" gets used to describe even the most delusional or engineered smear campaigns, or even transparently engineered FUD.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Kavros posted:

"these concerns are organic" gets used to describe even the most delusional or engineered smear campaigns, or even transparently engineered FUD.

"Engineered smear campaign" gets used to describe even the most organic of concerns.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

My concerns about Biden’s age are based entirely on watching him walk and watching him talk with my own eyes, they have nothing to do with media narratives.

The ease with which the media can make narratives about his age based on that is of course another concern

Glad to hear he outperformed in the SOTU though

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The rightwing insanity is the idea that he's a drooling puppet that makes post-stroke Wilson look spry. That he's being controlled by various members of the Commie-Choom Gang cabal while asking for applesauce.

The media insanity is that he's coming in and out of sundowns where he yells at the sky while telling stories about wearing onions on his belt, as was the style at the time. All while his handlers keep his walker just out of sight of the cameras.

It's entirely reasonable to look at an 80+ year old guy who is clearly showing the age and mannerisms of an octogenarian and think it's a bit ricketty for the office. Joe Biden isn't even a particularly decrepit old guy, but he's clearly seen the sunset of his better days. Almost everyone who complains about his age/mentality here is in the, "My eyes and ears tell me that this old guy is old, and has lost a few steps. I think it is too much, but don't think he's yet reached the point of an all tapioca and applesauce diet yet."

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

reignonyourparade posted:

"Engineered smear campaign" gets used to describe even the most organic of concerns.
But thankfully organic FUD can only be used to describe a pasture raised smear campaign that is free of pesticides and herbicides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Gyges posted:

The rightwing insanity is the idea that he's a drooling puppet that makes post-stroke Wilson look spry. That he's being controlled by various members of the Commie-Choom Gang cabal while asking for applesauce.

The media insanity is that he's coming in and out of sundowns where he yells at the sky while telling stories about wearing onions on his belt, as was the style at the time. All while his handlers keep his walker just out of sight of the cameras.

It's entirely reasonable to look at an 80+ year old guy who is clearly showing the age and mannerisms of an octogenarian and think it's a bit ricketty for the office. Joe Biden isn't even a particularly decrepit old guy, but he's clearly seen the sunset of his better days. Almost everyone who complains about his age/mentality here is in the, "My eyes and ears tell me that this old guy is old, and has lost a few steps. I think it is too much, but don't think he's yet reached the point of an all tapioca and applesauce diet yet."

This is all I'm saying.:hmmyes: Plus, of course, that how rickety or not-rickety he comes off as will significantly impact how well he does in the election.