Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

This is just straight up not true though.

Guess that's why I'm seeing people bringing arc thrower and flamer and still shield pack to high difficulty missions. They must not have heard of all the other stratagems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
There are definitely some weapons and strats which are still pretty much nonviable at high difficulties, but there are also some that people think are nonviable but aren't. There, argument solved.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Bland posted:

OK. I disagree.

That's why they have lower difficulties as well :)

e] (it's saying 75% that's bullshit)

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

SkyeAuroline posted:

Pubbie was more in the right than your friend was.

Yeah, no debate, but I was cringing at both of them.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

That's why they have lower difficulties as well :)

Yeah, they're for using those weapons. That's what I said.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The railgun deserved its nerf.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Bland posted:

You can't just ignore the context of the nerfs. Going into the game's first real balance patch the community was by and large expecting buffs over nerfs because like a good 75% or so of the equipment in the game felt like a liability to bring on higher difficulties.

But they weren't liabilities, only relative to the insanely strong rail gun did they seem so

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Just finished a few helldives, despite the CRIPPLING META NERFS game still good, difficulty fun... though I usually ran non meta weapons already so maybe it didn't affect me much. I tried spear which is probably still not great but occasionally one shots titans (just take recoilless instead), we had autocannon, eat, recoilless on the others. A few orbital lasers and one orbital rail cannon rounded out the anti armor. There were a few tense moments but everyone did a good job knocking out threats. Cleared all side objectives and a lot of the hives.

Good level of tension, a well placed exo suit can turn the tide of a breach and probably saved the game, and dropping them all at the end is fun as hell. Also exo suit rockets are what our other AT should start at or surpass, power wise. At 4 shots a spear should ohko a charger.

A weird thing is a good extreme feels equally tense as a good helldive; I think it's a mix of better players but also a charger will kill you equally hard at lvl 6 and lvl9. I've been enjoying both!

Also maybe I've been lucky but I've been pubbing it and had overall good experience. Added the good ones as friends and hop in when I want to play higher difficulty and it's worked well so far. I definitely think the biggest difference in success or failure is just coordination, even if you're not on comms you can tell when a team all has the same idea on how to tackle a map.

E: basic eagle airstrike is probably best stratagem in the game btw, does everything in one package highly recommend

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 9, 2024

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
It's funny how this thread talks about reddit and discord being a cesspool and then proceeds to get in pointless slapfights about dumb things in a video game on nearly every page. If you think certain weapons are not viable at high diffs or need buffs or shouldn't have been nerfed, you get a sneering 'maybe you just suck at the game :smuggo:' and if you feel the opposite you get some other abuse and let yourself be drawn into an argument.

It's kind of embarrassing. We are mostly adults here, I assume? Maybe you can get your points across without acting like children/redditors, and just talk about this game we like and have fun playing.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
It's amazing that a game this good has such a bad thread, yeah.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Play posted:

It's funny how this thread talks about reddit and discord being a cesspool and then proceeds to get in pointless slapfights about dumb things in a video game on nearly every page. If you think certain weapons are not viable at high diffs or need buffs or shouldn't have been nerfed, you get a sneering 'maybe you just suck at the game :smuggo:' and if you feel the opposite you get some other abuse and let yourself be drawn into an argument.

It's kind of embarrassing. We are mostly adults here, I assume? Maybe you can get your points across without acting like children/redditors, and just talk about this game we like and have fun playing.

shutup nerd

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

flashman posted:

But they weren't liabilities, only relative to the insanely strong rail gun did they seem so

It doesn't matter what you or I think of the viability of each piece of equipment. What matters is how the community perceives the issue and how the devs choose to address that perception.

e; To clarify I mean that in the context of managing the discourse around the game. I'm not saying if the devs just always do whatever the community says the game will be better or whatever.

Bland fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 9, 2024

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Bland posted:

It doesn't matter what you or I think of the viability of each piece of equipment. What matters is how the community perceives the issue and how the devs choose to address that perception.

With an unfortunate slip of professional control after having tons of poo poo flung at them including temper tantruming gamers tracking down their social media profiles to harass them there?

Also the customer is not always right.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Play posted:

funnier how you presumably think this doesnt describe you lmao

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Spent like 10 minutes waiting to connect, then a couple hours of smooth gameplay with my group. Still having a good time with this

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I am finding the mech to be pretty awesome used strategically. It's mediocre as an oh poo poo button, but being able to simply murder 4 chargers in a row in a diff 7 was extremely helpful. It was also good for quickly clearing a mortar base and for defending extract.

Fun bonus, the bonus mech and strategy mech are on separate cooldown timers so you can keep the pace of mech calling pretty high.

Also, both bugs and bots seem to simply ignore empty mechs, so if you want just dump an exosuit on extract at mission start that seems to be an option.

Next up need to try it in Blitz missions.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 9, 2024

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Triarii posted:

I don't know how much population size alone explains the toxicity - the past couple of Monster Hunter games got up to a similar size and their communities seemed generally more wholesome and supportive (though, again, I'm not really hanging out on these games' subreddits, just hearing about them second hand). There are definitely design decisions in HD2 that create more friction between players, and combined with everything being kind of broken and buggy, I think there are just a lot of bad vibes and frustration being generated.

I'm bummed when people say "that's just how it is, all game communities are garbage and nothing can be done about it". It can be better :(

Monster Hunter communities tend to go up in fire when the whole rise vs world thing comes up, if anyone dislikes either for any particular reason. It's a weird thing in Gaming Communities where as long as people are just shitposting stupid memes or whatever it's fine, the community is fine. But the instant anyone actually talks about the game in any measure it just devolves into the stupidest bullshit possible. Hell, even Deep Rock Galactic, a game that usually has a decent and supportive community, set its self on fire briefly when they added a new enemy the "Stingtail". It made a funny squeaky sound to let you know it had spawned, and what it did was grab you from across the map and either kill you instantly with impact damage, or leave you stranded in a swarm of bugs; in either case it was really hard to revive you if you got grabbed, and shooting it before it grabbed you was really hard to do because it was heavily armoured as well so killing it before it grabbed you was very hard to do. A schism of sorts formed between the people who said maybe this bug needed to be adjusted because it simply had too much going for it, vs the people who just said "git gud".

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

BitBasher posted:

What ps5 button is right click?

i dont know. right click is aim so maybe whatever you use to aim? or the button you use to leave a menu. i wasnt getting stuck on the stats screen when i was playing 30minutes ago so i think its fixed anyway, but try it next time it happens.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Play posted:

personally i think that there's a difference between whining about balance and whining about specific devs or discord mods not being fired

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Have they still not fixed the issue with the 45 medal reward from liberating those two planets? That was two major orders ago now.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I had a great game earlier where some guy was extremely bad and dying a lot, and I was the only person in the team who reinforced. I was far from everyone else but they were all far from each other too.

He was on voice and every time I res'd him he'd say "noooooo why did you do that you're so far away!" And he'd then die about 5 seconds later. Idk how, I was throwing the res thing away from enemies and nobody was bothering me. During the rewards at the end of the game he left before we got our samples and the screen went grey. Does that mean I won't get anything?

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

mentalcontempt posted:

Have they still not fixed the issue with the 45 medal reward from liberating those two planets? That was two major orders ago now.

Recent announcement in the official discord

quote:

Okay, so we broke it again. And then fixed it again. Three different spikes in traffic over the course of the day have been playing havoc with our server stability, but we're confident that it should be normalizing now and that players should be able to get into the game and earn rewards again. There is still a queue on the medals from previous major orders as well as on purchases of the Combat Mech and warbond items, so please retry if these purchases do not go through on your first attempt. Enjoy your weekend!

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Triarii posted:

I dunno, this game's community seems unusually lovely. Things have gotten nerfed in DRG from time to time and maybe I wasn't looking in the worst places but I didn't see responses other than "seems reasonable". Also in over 1000 hours playing it, I never saw people getting kicked for not playing in the exact correct way the host wanted to play.
It's just a consequence of the game being surprisingly popular really; as general rule the more popular and mainstream your game is the closer the game's population trends to being, uh, capital G Gamer. There are exceptions of course, and it also depends on the genre in my experience, but that's generally how it's going to go unfortunately.

GaylordButts posted:

In theory, higher damage and better penetration.

In practice, the damage boost is negligible and the penetration isn't better enough to count in most cases, and in exchange you lose a few rounds per magazine over the standard Diligence which already feels like it's reloading a lot, and it also feels like it has worse handling (how long it takes the "you're gonna shoot here" circle to match up with your reticle) than the autocannon. I do like the original Diligence on bot missions on occasion.
It absolutely does not have better penetration from what little I've used it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

turn off the TV posted:

personally i think that there's a difference between whining about balance and whining about specific devs or discord mods not being fired

The discord mod should've been demodded (and was). They were a dick for literally no reason. You don't want someone whose default and only mode is to piss in your players' faces.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

mentalcontempt posted:

I got mine finally

I think I got both sets at the same time

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Play posted:

Or did you mean without dying? Doesn't seem very helldiver of you

Disagree, setting the reactor to overload in a huge explosion and diving away sounds rad as hell.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Eediot Jedi posted:

The discord mod should've been demodded (and was). They were a dick for literally no reason. You don't want someone whose default and only mode is to piss in your players' faces.
I read somewhere that that mod was a known poo poo Stirrer in the DRG discord too so it's wild he was ever a mod in the first place :cripes:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Triarii posted:

There's also a pretty wide variance in what people consider "fun" about this game, I've found. I was playing with a friend + 2 pubbies, and my friend thought it would be funny to kill one of them with a grenade as we were extracting. The pubby did not think this was funny at all, and spent a minute getting big mad in chat before quitting out.

Your friend sucks just FYI.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Eediot Jedi posted:

that's fine but i have no words to express how much i don't give a poo poo about official helldivers discord drama and i firmly believe that this should be a universally held opinion

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Triarii posted:

There's also a pretty wide variance in what people consider "fun" about this game, I've found. I was playing with a friend + 2 pubbies, and my friend thought it would be funny to kill one of them with a grenade as we were extracting. The pubby did not think this was funny at all, and spent a minute getting big mad in chat before quitting out.

Just checking, did they call you a dipshit?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Insert name here posted:

I read somewhere that that mod was a known poo poo Stirrer in the DRG discord too so it's wild he was ever a mod in the first place :cripes:

probably a small pool of people willing to be an unpaid discord mod, and I bet a high likelihood of that pool having pee in it

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I am finding the mech to be pretty awesome used strategically. It's mediocre as an oh poo poo button, but being able to simply murder 4 chargers in a row in a diff 7 was extremely helpful. It was also good for quickly clearing a mortar base and for defending extract.

Fun bonus, the bonus mech and strategy mech are on separate cooldown timers so you can keep the pace of mech calling pretty high.

Also, both bugs and bots seem to simply ignore empty mechs, so if you want just dump an exosuit on extract at mission start that seems to be an option.

Next up need to try it in Blitz missions.

This is good poo poo.

Democracy Officer just said "Do not treat rebels as human. If their ideals are alien to us, then they are aliens too" lmao. I swear they keep adding poo poo in.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Play posted:

Yeah I was worried about how that would work but they are pretty maneuverable and can climb pretty steep surfaces. So far I've just been calling them down on extraction and they help a lot, although not being able to throw strats does hurt a bit, I just conserve my ammo until it's gone then duck out and start launching orbitals and eagles. Still, once they aren't free anymore I cannot see myself using them. Single use, ammo runs out pretty fast, yeah they can kill a lot of enemies but a whole strat slot is a hard sell for me.
You get two uses with the actual stratagem which makes them a lot more palatable, though it's on a 10 minute cooldown IIRC. But yeah I wish you could throw stratagems while inside, the exosuits in HD1 even had a launch tube for them!

Also I just found out that if you rebind your melee key to something else you can't stomp attack with the exosuit anymore :doh:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

This is good poo poo.

Democracy Officer just said "Do not treat rebels as human. If their ideals are alien to us, then they are aliens too" lmao. I swear they keep adding poo poo in.

they absolutely do, some of the lines so far have been directly in response to major order outcomes

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

turn off the TV posted:

that's fine but i have no words to express how much i don't give a poo poo about official helldivers discord drama and i firmly believe that this should be a universally held opinion

Thank you for telling me how you feel, I had no idea you didn't care so much.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Exodee posted:

Also I just found out that if you rebind your melee key to something else you can't stomp attack with the exosuit anymore :doh:

I realize they're in "oh poo poo make things stable" mode but I really hope they fix some of the keybinding wonkiness. Anything bound to the numpad being reset to the numlock off functions on launch, can't rebind chat, jetpack being inexplicably linked to "climb"?

Lots of room for improvement

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

incidentally: Tried shooting at the mech with small arms. Most of the mech, including the weapon arms, is actually armored against small arms and the shots will bounce. The notable exception is much of the legs and the little butt plate.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Does it matter how far into unsafe you charge the New Railgun, or is it still like pre-patch where any amount over seems to do the same damage?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Piell posted:

Just checking, did they call you a dipshit?

I wasn't really participating in that conversation. Did they call my friend a dipshit? I dunno, maybe, it was a week+ ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

how do people get to level 15+ and still not know how to prepare for heavies, or avoid aggro