Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Mr. Lobe posted:

People love slop
(yeah sorry I wasn't clear: I was shocked that it was probably a decent show even to my sensibilities, like I had always assumed it was a terrible show for me to watch, then recently realized oh it was probably fine based on what a couple acquaintances and a podcaster said. I'm down for semi-slop sometimes, like I enjoyed a lot of Modern Family for a while etc. I probably just caught a few real clunky lame jokes the first time I came across it and nope-d out)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

the good, the bad...and the queen omg its right there in the name of the band

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
the king of queens

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tsitsikovas posted:

It's believable enough since they all live in the UES anyway. Even today many residents there drive (they were super against the latest slate of car tolling in midtown), this was all the more the case in the late 80s and 90s. People DO drive in nyc.

but yeah production reasons certainly help. although they did have that one subway ep, which is also one of their best.

uws. the show described the ues as outside the bounds of civilization

kramer posted:

Aren't you a part of society? Because if you don't want to be a part of society, Jerry, why don't you just get in your car and move to the East Side?”.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

OH MY BAD posted:

the book is called "the psychic soviet" and it's full of insane semi-marxist frankfurt school style ramblings about seinfeld being a cultural trojan horse to make white people gentrify cities and how coffee is the blood of south america consumed by the american vampire etc

the chapter in question is called the seduction of paolo hewitt but the text is too tiny to photograph (it's pocket bible sized) but he repeatedly mentions blur/oasis as a means to pump up national sentiment in the UK

well oasis sucks so...

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Wonderwall, Don't Look Back in Anger, Champagne Supernova are all still great songs

If you listen closely to the INXS song Elegantly Wasted you'll hear they're actually singing "I'm better than Oasis"

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Dokapon Findom posted:

Wonderwall, Don't Look Back in Anger, Champagne Supernova are all still great songs

If you listen closely to the INXS song Elegantly Wasted you'll hear they're actually singing "I'm better than Oasis"

wonderwall is loving horrible what are you talking about lmao

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

OH MY BAD posted:

i have a chapbook by ian svenious of nation of ulysses/the make-up from 2006 that devotes a chapter arguing a similar line about oasis and blur specifically being intelligence operations. strange parallel there

lol i remember that fuckin thing

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i liked when the oasis bros had a public brawl

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

The cultural Trojan horse is coming from inside the thread (again)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Spergin Morlock posted:

wonderwall is loving horrible what are you talking about lmao

It's fine

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"wonderwall" just became the default song to insert into your bad joke about a guy playing acoustic guitar at a party and then people had to act like they hated it the whole time.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

"wonderwall" just became the default song to insert into your bad joke about a guy playing acoustic guitar at a party and then people had to act like they hated it the whole time.

it is such a perfect encapsulation of that deeply stupid moment in time

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i find the song to be genuinely annoying actually, and have since the loving 90s when it came out

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
i was the target audience for britpop and it loving worked. i was mad (in the "mad for it!" sense) about oasis and that image of blair and noel was huge. some important government guy and our kid shaking hands and enjoying life? things can only get better and all that. it was better than whatever the gently caress we have now i guess

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Spergin Morlock posted:

i find the song to be genuinely annoying actually, and have since the loving 90s when it came out

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Spergin Morlock posted:

ok

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again
I was madferit in my teens.

working class anthems from two blokes who could give a rats rear end about punctuality or class. Always my jam. Wonderwall is just the get rich song. Noel picked up some songbooks and hacked up some of the best pop songs ever into an album. He's a brilliant thief rly, as a kid you'd never know.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Maybe the Spice Girls were an op: praising Thatcher, Union Jack skirts etc.

But sometimes a zig-a-zig-ah is just a zig-a-zig-ah.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Pipski posted:

Maybe the Spice Girls were an op: praising Thatcher, Union Jack skirts etc.

But sometimes a zig-a-zig-ah is just a zig-a-zig-ah.

yea probably lol

remember when scary spice almost severed her entire hand when she drunkenly fell down a flight of stairs and her hand got caught behind the guard rail near the top? lol

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95HYKW3kTaY

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

scary ghost dog posted:

gorillaz was originally damon albarn teaming up with jamie hewlett to make a band that couldnt be directly connected to a nation, culture or even group of musicians, so it tracks that it would be a personal response to being exploited for nationalist purposes

actually, it was to make the artists image and overall style interchangeable, malleable and replaceable to create a modern Monkees that could position itself at the top of the charts to rapidly exploit emerging cultural trends before competition could
hence Gorillaz

they ended up perfecting the project with Drake

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

FirstnameLastname posted:

actually, it was to make the artists image and overall style interchangeable, malleable and replaceable to create a modern Monkees that could position itself at the top of the charts to rapidly exploit emerging cultural trends before competition could
hence Gorillaz

they ended up perfecting the project with Drake

thats the same thing i said but without my sentimental word choice. i think gorillaz makes good music and their features are usually the stars of the albums. regardless of the original intent i think the project was worthwhile. plus i doubt jamie hewlett would ever do govt propaganda. furthermore hewlett and albarn teamed up with the guy who made a chinese spinoff of high school musical to make a journey to the west opera which has to mean something

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

pangstrom posted:

Had a few experiences recently where people were talking semi-positively about watching HIMYM (one was on a podcast... chapo maybe?) and it was totally shocking to me. I always assumed it was unwatchable garbage like two and a half men or something.

What? Two and a Half Men is a lot better than HIMYM

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
The Stone Roses album still slaps

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

They Might Be Feds

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Dokapon Findom posted:

The Stone Roses album still slaps

This

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

scary ghost dog posted:

thats the same thing i said but without my sentimental word choice. i think gorillaz makes good music and their features are usually the stars of the albums. regardless of the original intent i think the project was worthwhile. plus i doubt jamie hewlett would ever do govt propaganda. furthermore hewlett and albarn teamed up with the guy who made a chinese spinoff of high school musical to make a journey to the west opera which has to mean something

the way a looot of propaganda works is through funding people who organically comes up with ideas that align with your goal materially but not ideologically to displace others without an overt connection

idk if they were at all but they don't have to have any connection to any political project or goal and sometimes taking control of an idea and preventing it from becoming political or spoiling it is the only goal

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

used to be yopu send cultural ambasadors to steal seeds, the secret of making fine china, priceless cultural touchstones ect. then you cant do that anymore so you have to you know send Duke Ellington to spread american jazz

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BootsRiley/status/1766204671775969475?t=SN6eipuHvzIm9eEI45I0nA&s=19

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
More like Dick Rubin

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Boots loving owns

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
Boots Riley is like the epitome of "become ungovernable" but he still gets money for projects. He kicks rear end

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Saw this on a IG story just now, gonna believe this is true.

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

Zoobtro posted:

i was the target audience for britpop and it loving worked. i was mad (in the "mad for it!" sense) about oasis and that image of blair and noel was huge. some important government guy and our kid shaking hands and enjoying life? things can only get better and all that. it was better than whatever the gently caress we have now i guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGu__4igHIE

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
im more of a happy mondays type myself

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

FirstnameLastname posted:

the way a looot of propaganda works is through funding people who organically comes up with ideas that align with your goal materially but not ideologically to displace others without an overt connection

idk if they were at all but they don't have to have any connection to any political project or goal and sometimes taking control of an idea and preventing it from becoming political or spoiling it is the only goal

so youre saying that its technically possible that gorillaz, as a band, without even the musicians knowing it, is an operation designed to make music boring and homogenous. and im saying that if thats the case then its a total failure because the music is pretty good and extremely diverse. just so you understand

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Entirely unsurprising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

my bony fealty posted: