Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I think it has sex because it's a movie about a blank slate character discovering what life is like and sex is part of life, and it deals with it in ways that are not as myopic as "sex is a tool" or "sex is oppression" or anything like that

It's just a thing and sometimes the character likes it and sometimes it's for money and sometimes it's nice and sometimes it's manipulative and bad but that's basically the same statement made about every major topic in the movie from money to men to women to philosophy to idiocy.

"poo poo is complicated" is the core of the story. Anyone trying to summarize it with a clear moral or philosophy is seeing what they want to see (or something they don't want to see)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Still less problematic than Forrest Gump having sex

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

cum forrest cum

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its not actually complicated or complex at all. its about a person who hasnt been indoctrinated into social and cultural traditions wandering around and making fun of everyone. she loudly calls out all of the contradictions as soon as she sees them with straightforward and clear language. she has an intuitive understanding of material conditions. and she was literally born yesterday

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Oglethorpe posted:

i still need to watch antichrist for dafoe's performance

antichrist is good

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Some Guy TT posted:

cum forrest cum

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

When the Oscars started they had an award for Best Unique and Artistic Picture and, honestly, bring that the gently caress back

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Can you even imagine the flip flapping and discourse over who will win Best Unique and Artistic Picture???

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

its not actually complicated or complex at all. its about a person who hasnt been indoctrinated into social and cultural traditions wandering around and making fun of everyone. she loudly calls out all of the contradictions as soon as she sees them with straightforward and clear language. she has an intuitive understanding of material conditions. and she was literally born yesterday

i dont agree that she has an intuitive understanding of material conditions because shes almost completely insulated from personal consequences even after she leaves the house her behavior is tolerated and even encouraged by nearly everyone she meets because shes a well dressed attractive white woman

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
what does that have to do with intuitively understanding material conditions

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

i dont agree that she has an intuitive understanding of material conditions because shes almost completely insulated from personal consequences even after she leaves the house her behavior is tolerated and even encouraged by nearly everyone she meets because shes a well dressed attractive white woman

Here we go

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

i keep forgetting the pop culture thread OP is the anti-china poster in the asia thread

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

Yeah if there is a backbone to it, it's that people and societies that exist only to exploit other people are the loving worst

She bounces from youthful naivety only to find that pissing yourself sucks so let's learn a little something
and then a little bit of knowledge and loving are fun, let's frolic on a never-ending vacation
but actually a life of pure hedonism gets boring and worse it can only exist by exploiting innocent people
let's absolve my hedonism by giving money to the poor suffering people oops someone stole all my charity and it didn't help anybody
and now I know too much and this knowledge hurts actually and this sucks too
it gets a little muddled in the brothel but that's basically society forcing you into a job that demands the sacrifice of your body but she survives it and even thrives by focusing on education and worker solidarity

and there isn't a perfect, neatly bundled solution to those problems but she gets a somewhat happy conclusion by abandoning society and rigid expectations of her role in it (and not to mention murdering the aristocratic general who assumes inherent control over her because of his status) and just kinda doing her own thing while making her friends happy and maybe helping some people

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
:supaburn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDBnBdNyYiM

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Just saw American Fiction. Pretty good movie IMO, I'd rank it highest out of the best picture noms I've seen so far. Satire was on point, I have met all of the white people depicted therein. Apparently the source book was written in 2001 which is astonishing bc the kind of White Fragility fetishization it's satirizing is way more prevalent now than it was then

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

and there isn't a perfect, neatly bundled solution to those problems but she gets a somewhat happy conclusion by abandoning society and rigid expectations of her role in it (and not to mention murdering the aristocratic general who assumes inherent control over her because of his status) and just kinda doing her own thing while making her friends happy and maybe helping some people

the thing is society doesnt actually appear to have any expectations for bella rigid or otherwise mark ruffalo tries to control her but does so in such an emotional and incompetent way that hes the one who gets thrown in the loony bin not her and when the husband slash father shows up she goes with him willingly despite there being no force compelling her to do aside from just pure curiousity

the story expects us to understand that bella lives in a world of sexist repression but theres never actually any pushback for anything bella does shes in the perfect sweet spot of being rebellious enough to seem subversive but not so rebellious as to be an actual threat to anyone for all the warnings we get in the first act the outside world isnt really any more dangerous than the house

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

loquacius posted:

Apparently the source book was written in 2001 which is astonishing bc the kind of White Fragility fetishization it's satirizing is way more prevalent now than it was then

the book is really good.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

For comparison, I thought The Holdovers was well made and very well acted but not really particularly groundbreaking in the story it told and I thought Killers of the Flower Moon was a really interesting story also well-acted but waaaaaaaaaaay too loving long

Gonna try for Poor Things tomorrow night if weekend toddler parenting doesn't leave us too worn out for a second movie night in two days like it usually does, had to skip all the discussion of it for that reason, wish me luck

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Some Guy TT posted:

the story expects us to understand that bella lives in a world of sexist repression but theres never actually any pushback for anything bella does shes in the perfect sweet spot of being rebellious enough to seem subversive but not so rebellious as to be an actual threat to anyone for all the warnings we get in the first act the outside world isnt really any more dangerous than the house

her husband tries to get her circumcised

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

the thing is society doesnt actually appear to have any expectations for bella rigid or otherwise mark ruffalo tries to control her but does so in such an emotional and incompetent way that hes the one who gets thrown in the loony bin not her and when the husband slash father shows up she goes with him willingly despite there being no force compelling her to do aside from just pure curiousity

Ruffalo expressly tries to claim ownership over her and has a mental breakdown when he finds out she's loving other people for money and pleasure. He's a jokey form of oppression but the explicit assumption is there that once she agreed to travel with him (abandoning her fiance in the process, an act of explicit infidelity) that she belonged to his whims and can no longer engage in the behavior that he already knows she exhibits (flights of fancy, pleasure-seeking, etc)

That he ultimately doesn't actually have any power over her is largely because she says "gently caress you, I'm not going to be ashamed just because you say I have to and I don't need your money, I'll make my own"

Then her actual husband (again, important to recognize both a military figure and an aristocrat, essentially the state) comes and enforces control over her with implicit and explicit violence. She was pretty done for and ready to die to oppose him but fought back and he turns out to be another paper tiger, fainting at a joke of a wound - the first slight hint of blood.

So having conquered both the expectations of society and the state she reconciles with her oppressive but loving father-figure and decides to follow in his footsteps (again this part is muddled to me... I think there's a bit about never being really able to escape the shadows of our upbringing but it being pseudo-victorian also means a female becoming a doctor is subversive or whatever but there's not really that text in the movie so I don't think that's the intent. His name is "God" so there's probably a religious angle about coming to terms with the arbitrary and unfair nature of the world but I am not really equipped to read religious allegory)

Good Soldier Svejk has issued a correction as of 04:16 on Mar 9, 2024

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

thats because its a comedy

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

So having conquered both the expectations of society and the state

you keep bringing up society and the state but we dont actually see society or the state doing anything we see mark ruffalo and the husband act as if society and the state are behind them but mark ruffalo isnt backed up by anyone and the husband just uses his gun

this is why i dont think the text works as an allegory except in an explicitly satirical sense because its a very idealized situation with an emphasis on farce and imagery over the worldbuilding

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
huh

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
we live in a society

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

you keep bringing up society and the state but we dont actually see society or the state doing anything we see mark ruffalo and the husband act as if society and the state are behind them but mark ruffalo isnt backed up by anyone and the husband just uses his gun

this is why i dont think the text works as an allegory except in an explicitly satirical sense because its a very idealized situation with an emphasis on farce and imagery over the worldbuilding

Well I mean there's echoes of assumed ownership from basically all the major male figures in the movie, even the "good" guys Dafoe and Ramy Youssef

I suppose that there isn't someone explicitly turning to the camera and just flatly saying "this is sure a bad time to be a woman" but actually yes there is, Martha and Harry on the ship outright state "yeah these ideas you believe right now are very dumb, as is Mark Ruffalo, and also the world is kinda lovely both for women and the poor" while exclusively reading philosophy books

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

If your comments on threads is exceptional
you have lost. And this guy wants to be me, and be this knowing what the distinction was

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

as soon as they run out of money they get thrown off the ship and she has to become a whore to survive, how exactly is that not her suffering consequences from society

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

as soon as they run out of money they get thrown off the ship and she has to become a whore to survive, how exactly is that not her suffering consequences from society

being a whore isnt much of a consequence if you love sex and would be doing it as a job even if you didnt need the money

loled just now remembering how bella didnt even think the situation was a real emergency because she figured mark ruffalo would man up but he never did

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

being a whore isnt much of a consequence if you love sex and would be doing it as a job even if you didnt need the money

she literally explicitly says that she would prefer not to have sex with one of the guys and would rather pick the gentlemen she wants to have sex with

e: she is forced to have sex until she is completely bored of it, rolling her eyes while suspended in bondage gear from the ceiling as a man humps her leg. this puts her into a deep depression.

Pepe Silvia Browne has issued a correction as of 04:57 on Mar 9, 2024

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Some Guy you were on your phone for half the movie weren't you

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
anyways I liked it, the reunion scene got me

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

thats correct, it is an explicitly satirical farce, akin to the green knight, which was a blistering mockery of historical perspectives on masculinity

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

true blood is called true blood because it's a true story

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

thats correct, it is an explicitly satirical farce, akin to the green knight, which was a blistering mockery of historical perspectives on masculinity

I gotta finally get around to watching this one

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Willem Dafoe plays a Frankenstein's monster called God who belches neon bubbles

The movie might not be playing everything entirely straight

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

or are you saying that being forced to have sex with someone you don't want to just because you need the money isn't a big deal?

depends on whether or not you think sex work is equivalent to a regular job that shouldnt be stigmatized

given that bellas reaction to being told she cant pick her clients is to shrug her shoulders and keep doing the work anyway i assume that poor things agrees with that premise

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Some Guy you were on your phone for half the movie weren't you

I really think he's just an AI that posts articles and AI generated posts that stir poo poo. I refuse to believe that one human could be that stupid. Half the posts in this thread are just responding to articles that he or she copy and pasted with no context or just posts in the vein of "I am an alien, and my spaceship just landed five minutes ago. Please explain to me your human ways. Also somehow I have the worst take on everything."

Ignore them. Ignore them. Ignore them! They should have been permabanned a long time ago.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

depends on whether or not you think sex work is equivalent to a regular job that shouldnt be stigmatized

given that bellas reaction to being told she cant pick her clients is to shrug her shoulders and keep doing the work anyway i assume that poor things agrees with that premise

i edited that post respond to the other one where i talk about what happened in the movie

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I really think he's just an AI that posts articles and AI generated posts that stir poo poo. I refuse to believe that one human could be that stupid. Half the posts in this thread are just responding to articles that he or she copy and pasted with no context or just posts in the vein of "I am an alien, and my spaceship just landed five minutes ago. Please explain to me your human ways. Also somehow I have the worst take on everything."

Ignore them. Ignore them. Ignore them! They should have been permabanned a long time ago.
bit rude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I think you made your mind up before you saw it tbh