Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

depends on whether or not you think sex work is equivalent to a regular job that shouldnt be stigmatized

given that bellas reaction to being told she cant pick her clients is to shrug her shoulders and keep doing the work anyway i assume that poor things agrees with that premise

I have long held the theory that money corrupts even the things you love. Like I love writing music but the moment I have to write music or I starve, it's no longer a fun thing.
That whole "find a job you love and you never work a day in your life" expression is bullshit because capitalism corrupts everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i edited that post respond to the other one where i talk about what happened in the movie

eh if you insist

e: she is forced to have sex until she is completely bored of it, rolling her eyes while suspended in bondage gear from the ceiling as a man humps her leg. this puts her into a deep depression.

sounds like a regular job that shouldnt be stigmatized to me

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I have long held the theory that money corrupts even the things you love. Like I love writing music but the moment I have to write music or I starve, it's no longer a fun thing.
That whole "find a job you love and you never work a day in your life" expression is bullshit because capitalism corrupts everything

don't you love cooking? why don't you go work in a restaurant kitchen?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i agree! the movie expresses this well

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I still think your reading of the movie necessitates all the men in the movie to be extreme outliers in belief and behavior and that just doesn't make sense

It's a storybook presentation, everyone is an archetypal stand-in for a broader belief set that Bella is pitted against

Again, there is a character explicitly named God

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

depends on whether or not you think sex work is equivalent to a regular job that shouldnt be stigmatized

given that bellas reaction to being told she cant pick her clients is to shrug her shoulders and keep doing the work anyway i assume that poor things agrees with that premise

i think the problem youre running into is that you have focused on the fact that its sex work and shes loving guys, and missed the part where shes arguing that workers should control the means of production

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Some Guy TT posted:

so for anyone wondering where my flippant ignorant description came from poor things has been presented to me as a feminist work basically because its about how emma lives in a mans world and finds freedom through sexuality this on its own id just consider the usual stupid but the nature of emmas uh mental state adds an extra unappealing layer of grossness to this messaging

half an hour in i can confidently say that if this movie is doing anything its satirizing these ideas but i think its more likely just weirdly comedically unsettling solely for the sake of being weirdly comedically unsettling and not for any particularly pretentious reasons

I haven't seen it yet but it sounds like you're not watching it correctly. I will be eating a powerful edible tomorrow and watching it and having a nice time

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I think Being There is much, much, better than Poor Things, but I’m not sure they set out to do the same thing.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

eh if you insist

so again, if she is doing that job because she needs money (society)

and she does it until it makes her hate the thing she used to love (consequence)

that is her suffering a consequence from society

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Nichael posted:

bit rude

Honestly 20 years ago we'd tell Some Guy TT to kill himself but now we're mostly older and we don't do that kind of thing anymore. I don't want them to die I just want them to stop posting. 20 or even 15 years ago every single response to them would be kill yourself die stop posting go away. All they do is either copy and paste articles or try to stir poo poo up.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

so again, if she is doing that job because she needs money (society)

and she does it until it makes her hate the thing she used to love (consequence)

that is her suffering a consequence from society

And Ruffalo tries to shame her despite the fact that her money is the only thing that is keeping them alive and he previously had no issue with her being sex positive (provided it was for his direct pleasure)

The moment he loses the illusion of control he literally goes insane and tries to ruin her life

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I really think he's just an AI that posts articles and AI generated posts that stir poo poo. I refuse to believe that one human could be that stupid. Half the posts in this thread are just responding to articles that he or she copy and pasted with no context or just posts in the vein of "I am an alien, and my spaceship just landed five minutes ago. Please explain to me your human ways. Also somehow I have the worst take on everything."

Ignore them. Ignore them. Ignore them! They should have been permabanned a long time ago.

thats racist.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I still think your reading of the movie necessitates all the men in the movie to be extreme outliers in belief and behavior and that just doesn't make sense

your reading is the one that requires this actually because broadly speaking every man in the movie except for mark ruffalo and the husband is at best supportive of bellas growth and at worst worried about her for good reason

It's a storybook presentation, everyone is an archetypal stand-in for a broader belief set that Bella is pitted against

again correct not sure why you think i disagree with this

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Some Guy TT posted:

your reading is the one that requires this actually because broadly speaking every man in the movie except for mark ruffalo and the husband is at best supportive of bellas growth and at worst worried about her for good reason

Stop posting

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

okay no, pay no mind list. you are bad at understanding movies. shunned.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

You think her tutor that tried to arrange her into a marriage with him while she was basically a mental infant because he saw her naked while she was unconscious had her best interest at heart?

Did he have to drop a m'lady for you to get the point

You can't truly be this dense you are loving with me aren't you

E: yeah joining the chorus and checking out on you for a good long while

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

They are loving with you they aren't arguing in good faith

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I want them to stop loving with all of us and stop posting in this thread and just go away

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

You think her tutor that tried to arrange her into a marriage with him while she was basically a mental infant because he saw her naked while she was unconscious had her best interest at heart?

or how about her father, the man who dragged her corpse from the river, removed the baby from her womb and fused them into a monster - before trapping her of course. he tho, he was thinking about HER the whole time he did that

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

And Ruffalo tries to shame her despite the fact that her money is the only thing that is keeping them alive and he previously had no issue with her being sex positive (provided it was for his direct pleasure)

The moment he loses the illusion of control he literally goes insane and tries to ruin her life

the amusing irony of mark ruffalos character is that he has achieved the mans dream of a sex toy with the thought capacity of a child but is so physically and emotionally exhausted by having to actually deal with all that implies he loses his own ability to function as an adult

the satire here isnt about society (the whole thing is set off by mark ruffalo deliberately defying his professional obligations because hes horny) but about a specific sort of libertine archetype basically getting to make a wish on a monkeys paw

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

E: yeah joining the chorus and checking out on you for a good long while

you have an awfully negative opinion about a character who bella literally asks to marry her as a part of her happy ending because she genuinely believes hes a good person

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

the amusing irony of mark ruffalos character is that he has achieved the mans dream of a sex toy with the thought capacity of a child but is so physically and emotionally exhausted by having to actually deal with all that implies he loses his own ability to function as an adult

the satire here isnt about society (the whole thing is set off by mark ruffalo deliberately defying his professional obligations because hes horny) but about a specific sort of libertine archetype basically getting to make a wish on a monkeys paw

hes the funniest part of the movie. i was cackling at every line

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Stop engaging with the bot

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

or how about her father, the man who dragged her corpse from the river, removed the baby from her womb and fused them into a monster - before trapping her of course. he tho, he was thinking about HER the whole time he did that

you mean the character who she explicitly reconciles with at the end and wants at her wedding?

you arent even arguing with me about subtext at this point this is literally just the text

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

You can literally look at all their posts goddamn am I a crazy person

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

you mean the character who she explicitly reconciles with at the end and wants at her wedding?

you arent even arguing with me about subtext at this point this is literally just the text

yep. if we accept that shes the most rational character in the movie then we also have to accept her judgement of her family

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Some Guy TT posted:

i dont agree that she has an intuitive understanding of material conditions because shes almost completely insulated from personal consequences even after she leaves the house her behavior is tolerated and even encouraged by nearly everyone she meets because shes a well dressed attractive white woman

Haven't seen it yet but that sounds a bit satirical to me

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Stop engaging with the bot

to me your insulting reminisces thought of confusion if i were bot surely my response be easy predict not inspire anger

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
it was brave of the movie to go with "frankenstein is the monster, in both ways"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

to me your insulting reminisces thought of confusion if i were bot surely my response be easy predict not inspire anger

That sounds ai generated

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

you're missing the point and you know it. Yes she reconciles with him, that means he loving did something she has to reconcile with him for!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Some Guy TT posted:

eh if you insist

most regular jobs suck rear end op

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

I really think he's just an AI that posts articles and AI generated posts that stir poo poo. I refuse to believe that one human could be that stupid. Half the posts in this thread are just responding to articles that he or she copy and pasted with no context or just posts in the vein of "I am an alien, and my spaceship just landed five minutes ago. Please explain to me your human ways. Also somehow I have the worst take on everything."

Ignore them. Ignore them. Ignore them! They should have been permabanned a long time ago.

That seems excessive, permas should be reserved for genuine bad poo poo, not merely being an average goon

Just scroll past the posts you don't want to read or narc to the mods/iks lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

you're missing the point and you know it. Yes she reconciles with him, that means he loving did something she has to reconcile with him for!

the bad thing he does is put her brain in her moms body i do not dispute that he did a bad thing i dispute that this bad thing is intended to be a critique of misogynist society

given that he is otherwise portrayed as a mad scientist and the tutor suggests the police could be called on him for what he did i think its reasonable to assume that putting baby brains in women bodies is not considered socially acceptable behavior in this setting

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

the bad thing he does is put her brain in her moms body i do not dispute that he did a bad thing i dispute that this bad thing is intended to be a critique of misogynist society

given that he is otherwise portrayed as a mad scientist and the tutor suggests the police could be called on him for what he did i think its reasonable to assume that putting baby brains in women bodies is not considered socially acceptable behavior in this setting

You don't think a man taking ownership of a woman's body and deciding what to do with her and her baby because it suited his research is a critique of misogynist society

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Then you're a loving idiot

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

this is the most interesting part of the movie. dafoes character is severely, painfully and permanently damaged by his fathers buffoonish attempts at practicing medicine. he has literally dedicated his life to helping others using proper applications of surgical techniques. so, when he finds a fresh corpse, and a living baby inside her, he does the most altruistic thing he can imagine: he puts the babies brain in its mothers skull, saving two lives, in a way. i think this is yorgos lanthimos establishing that this movie is going to explore our constructed concepts of morality in farcical and potentially challenging ways by getting the most farcical and challenging one out of the way first

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

^^^ you put it much nicer than i did here sorry if i seem aggro here pepe thats not my intent im discussing the movie because i enjoy it

You don't think a man taking ownership of a woman's body and deciding what to do with her and her baby because it suited his research is a critique of misogynist society

i think that assuming that his primary motivation was due to the corpse having female anatomy and not his having been raised to have an opportunistic and destructive understanding of the reason and purpose of scientific research is a very shallow understanding of the story that cheapens the whole arc of the character

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Some Guy TT posted:

its steampunk victorian england, they could just pretend she was irish or some sort of slav.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Xaris posted:

this might be controversial but i think the xbox 360 era was a bigger cultural wasteland nadir than early bush years

Kinda feel like video games seem to trail the pop culture mainstream by about a decade? Maybe because of technical limitations, like the 00s being boom years for video games and also major hardware strides freeing up limitations, and then a lost decade of stagnation and artificiality.

That said I think they caught up by now as video games were if anything ahead of the curve with the current crisis of overbudgeted overmanaged boondoggles that spend billions of dollars and crunch workers to pieces to produce forgettable homogenous garbage.