Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Give Marie a gun, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Rinkles posted:

Why is Marie disliked? Haven't played Golden, and don't know if I ever will (despite owning it on the Vita since forever ago).

She is extremely poorly-implemented.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I thought people just didn't like tsunderes and/or her intentionally-kind-of-awkward poetry. Or both.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Marie ftw

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

the poetry being bad is the joke, that's not the problem

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

oh akihiko does learn god hand now

maybe he actually doesn't suck that bad

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Why is Marie disliked? Haven't played Golden, and don't know if I ever will (despite owning it on the Vita since forever ago).

Generally a few reasons:

A) She's really obviously shoehorned in after the fact, so her scenes can feel a bit distracting/out of place.
B) She makes intentionally bad poetry but the joke is either lost/doesn't work on people or they don't think the 'intentionally' makes up for the 'bad' parts.
C) They don't like that the plot seems to push the player towards her due to the additional unlockable content you get for doing her/dislike the additional content you get for doing her.

I don't personally hate her but I do think she's one of the more awkwardly included of the Atlus Obligatory Bonus Female Character archetype.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
If she was actually a party member, Marie might have gone over better. As it is she just feels really shoe horned in and her existence and bearing on the plot as a whole feels very disconnected from the actual story. Also her dungeon is boring.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Rinkles posted:

You can literally ignore her social link and it doesn't change the final boss battle. Her addition comes across as kinda pointless as a result.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I wish my characters were more evenly leveled. I can never seem to get grand clocks to spawn.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I thought Marie's presence was kind of jarring because her social link is all about spending time with the Investigation Team, but nobody ever spends time with her or talks about her outside of it. Like they adopt Nanako and invite her to go see fireworks or hang out at the shrine, but never Marie. I don't dislike the character for it, but I'm pretty sure that's the complaint that filtered through to Atlus, because they went with the exact opposite implementation for Kasumi in P5R.

Also she's kind of a straight "brusque but obviously vulnerable" archetype, but you're not allowed to dislike that if you like P4.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

cock hero flux posted:

oh akihiko does learn god hand now

maybe he actually doesn't suck that bad

It's easy to look past him because he lost like 2/3rds of his debuffs, but he's actually really good now. His personality when maxed out amplifies the stat buffs on him by 40%. He's the only character that learns Boost + Amp naturally and he can get weapons that give him Strike buffs as well. He's also the only character to learn the Evade skill for his weakness, which pairs with him getting 40% more dodge from Sukukaja.

He's slow rolling because buffs are a pain to maintain early on, but by late game when you have sources of auto-buffs and group buffs, he hits hard, is bulky, and dodges fairly decently. He also synergizes well with Yukari or Koromaru since he can hit hard from either end of the spectrum.

His only real weakness is still low Luck and he can go through his SP fairly quickly on long runs/fights, but having actual physical skills leverages it somewhat.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I wish my characters were more evenly leveled. I can never seem to get grand clocks to spawn.

The clocks only spawn when you open locked chests and not the fixed locked chests, only the random ones you get on floors, so if you're like me and stopped opening them because there was nothing worth wasting twilight shards on in them you stop getting clocks too lol

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm glad that they learnt from Marie and decided to make every new character in P5 FES/spin offs some old guy with trauma

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Rinkles posted:

Besides what ImpAtom already covered, I felt like Marie answered questions in P4 that nobody even asked in the first place (where the fog went after the giant disco ball was defeated).

Though the biggest problem with Marie is that they changed up the order of the people cheering you on during the final boss fight. Instead of ending it with Nanako, Golden ends it with Marie instead, which, no. Just no.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

amigolupus posted:

Besides what ImpAtom already covered, I felt like Marie answered questions in P4 that nobody even asked in the first place (where the fog went after the giant disco ball was defeated).

Though the biggest problem with Marie is that they changed up the order of the people cheering you on during the final boss fight. Instead of ending it with Nanako, Golden ends it with Marie instead, which, no. Just no.

That is the crux of the whole thing, this blatantly forced inclusion and feeling way too "Poochie" in a way. But of course, it hinges on playing original P4. I started with Golden and so, while I abstractly understand the dislike for her, Marie has always been part of my P4 experience. And Golden isn't trapped on a dead console like it was when I played it. With it on several modern platforms, and the original release perpetually receding into the background, Golden will be the primary way everyone has experienced Persona 4. As such, Marie's presence won't stick out like a sore thumb anymore.

I mean, maybe. It makes sense in my head.

But in any event, Marie's design is wonderful, her writing is good, she has several pieces of amazing music(like this and this, my favorite dungeon theme in any Persona game), and last but not least, an unbelievably perfect voice courtesy of Eden Riegel. Of course I've heard her brother in more things than I can count, but this was my first exposure to her work, and she was possibly my favorite performance in the whole game. Top 3 for certain.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

there's a high bar to clear when you're retconning a character into the game. they don't have to be tolerable, they have to be excellent. i haven't played P5r but as far as I'm aware people think Maruki clears that bar, but Marie doesn't. She's probably tolerable if you haven't played the original because she's not the most annoying or abrasive character in the game, but having played the original I found the inclusion of her in scenes jarring and she didn't contribute anything that made up for it.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I only ever played Golden but I could tell by the way the scenes were made that she was added in after everyone else.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The worst part of Marie is that she adds another hot spring scene to the game (and unlike the first one, this one wasn't an accident).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Don't hate Marie or anything but she's kind of just the pure tsundere archetype without much of an interesting spin on it and the way she's inserted into Valentine's Day has always grated a bit.

"All You Clowns" is pretty funny though and a lot of her associated music is pretty good

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

lol looks like once again I'm barely going to not finish all SLinks, and it's Fortune again. sorry dude, I'll one day figure out what's up with you and your dad

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It's not that interesting and later persona games do the same basic story again so don't worry too much.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah he has the same arc as multiple characters in P4, lol

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Keisuke has a few possibly interesting bits to him but he feels like a Priestess link more than anything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Keisuke is absolutely the social link from P3 I always forget exists. Everyone else has some degrees of being memorable (even if it is just for sucking) but I literally forget that guy exists every time.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

cock hero flux posted:

there's a high bar to clear when you're retconning a character into the game. they don't have to be tolerable, they have to be excellent. i haven't played P5r but as far as I'm aware people think Maruki clears that bar, but Marie doesn't. She's probably tolerable if you haven't played the original because she's not the most annoying or abrasive character in the game, but having played the original I found the inclusion of her in scenes jarring and she didn't contribute anything that made up for it.

From what I've seen, Maruki (and Akechi's bonus scenes/real social link) are universally beloved, while people's feelings on Kasumi are far more mixed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

From what I've seen, Maruki (and Akechi's bonus scenes/real social link) are universally beloved, while people's feelings on Kasumi are far more mixed.

Really? I've generally see Kasumi held up as a good example aside from the lovely part of them selling DLC costumes for a character who you only get briefly. Maruki is held up as better overall but I rarely see complaints about Kasumi aside from the (justified) "the game is pushing her as the canon love interest super hard" thing.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Always skip Keisuke, Kenji, and moon guy. I like everyone else just fine though

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Justice was the one I didn't finish, I just don't gel with that kind of archetype well (as well as Winter Break and career day ruining my plans! :argh:)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm glad that they learnt from Marie and decided to make every new character in P5 FES/spin offs some old guy with trauma

Yoshizawa say whaaaat?:mad:

I like Marie a lot, but I do agree she's pretty shoehorned in. That's more of an issue with her social link than anything else, though. But it's not hard to clear her social link and unlock the Golden content, IMO (and it's REALLY easy to not romance her, of course).

e:

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Justice was the one I didn't finish, I just don't gel with that kind of archetype well (as well as Winter Break and career day ruining my plans! :argh:)

FeMC's Justice SL sadly isn't much better in Portable. It's Ken, and boy does he have a crush on you.:gonk:

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 9, 2024

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Justice was Chihiro right? I'll always have as soft spot for her because she's the first S Link I remember completing in P3, which of course was my first modern Persona game. Also I didn't know that you had to romance every girl at this time so it was also kinda sweet and nice if you're into that kinda thing.

I'm no sure if I'd like it near as much now.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Kasumi is mostly boring for the majority of the game, gets really interesting briefly with the twist, then she ends up really boring again because they don't go anywhere with the resolution of her twist.

Maruki is fantastic and a way better final antagonist for the game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I liked Justice in p3r.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

RevolverDivider posted:

Kasumi is mostly boring for the majority of the game, gets really interesting briefly with the twist, then she ends up really boring again because they don't go anywhere with the resolution of her twist.

I agree that they don't do enough with the resolution of her twist, but her ending up going back to gymnastics because it's something she loves and not something she feels she has to outdo her dead sister is pretty satisfying to me. Plus the fact that she's so chipper and seemingly perfect before the twist intrigued me, even in my first playthrough. I knew this facade was going to crack, and I wanted to see what kind of darkness was inside. I wasn't disappointed.

quote:

Maruki is fantastic and a way better final antagonist for the game.

This, however, is objective fact. My MVP for the entire series.

hatty posted:

Always skip Keisuke, Kenji, and moon guy.

This is the way.:hai: (I also don't like Hermit, but ymmv)

\/\/\/do you mean Portable? If so, yeah, it's much, much better than Nozomi\/\/\/

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 9, 2024

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Moon link was good in Reload at least!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

RevolverDivider posted:

Her recovery and ultimate repudiation of Maruki's actualization is what finally breaks Maruki's belief that he was doing the right thing, because his success with her is what started his ambition to save everyone. I think that's pretty central to the additional Royal plot.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Majorian posted:

\/\/\/do you mean Portable? If so, yeah, it's much, much better than Nozomi\/\/\/

No. I meant reload. I never did it in OG so IDK if they tweaked it at all but I thought the message of the S link was actually pretty good. Nozomi being offputting for most of it is kind of the point.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

A lot of Reload's SLs were improved on the back of the yeoman's job their English VAs did IMO.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The early levels of Moon work a lot better in Reload since the voice acting really drives home how sad and pathetic Nozomi is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

No. I meant reload. I never did it in OG so IDK if they tweaked it at all but I thought the message of the S link was actually pretty good. Nozomi being offputting for most of it is kind of the point.

WrightOfWay posted:

The early levels of Moon work a lot better in Reload since the voice acting really drives home how sad and pathetic Nozomi is.

Ah cool. I'm playing it now (about to free Fuuka) and I fast-forwarded through the initial convo with Nozomi because I hate him so much, but I'll give it a chance going forward. Thanks!

anakha posted:

A lot of Reload's SLs were improved on the back of the yeoman's job their English VAs did IMO.

Yeah, I'm genuinely impressed so far.