Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Strontium posted:

Take It From The Tinkersons

oatmeal is good you weridos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 06, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Make out with the alligator Arlo

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

OK there's absolutely no way to make this original joke make any sense in English, because it's a weird cultural reference. There's a series of of TV advertisements for a large chain of stores, where a B list Finnish actor is eating food and says "so this is not grilled fish, this is a special time with the people you love" or whatever. But here he's just not happy with his so called steak.

I guess you could turn it into a "where's the beef" type thing. "Where's the beef?" "Right there on your plate." "Oh I don't think so!" kinda deal.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BigglesSWE posted:

Ballard Street

God, I love this loving strip.

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

davidspackage posted:

There's worse third parties to add to the marriage, especially if Janis liked him.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Batman doesn’t go out during the day :argh:

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(3/16/1994)

(3/17/1994)

Ziggy

(10/1/1971)

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: The Wicked Gnomes

"There's been a clerical error" :allears: that is a wonderful pun.

But don't worry, Willie's gonna spend the night clubbing.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 9, 2024

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/8/04

Brenda Starr 10/13-15/52

Smokey Stover 3/27/60

Everyday Movies 4/27/37

"Where does he get that high-hattin' me stuff? Why I wouldn't say hello to that guy if I saw him coming down the street with Roosevelt on one side and John L. Lewis on the other. And you can throw in a couple of Garbos, too."

John L. Lewis was the head of the United Mine Workers union.

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 4/12-14/43

Called it.

Closer Than We Think! 3/27/60

The "new Washington, D.C. terminal" would be Dulles Airport, which does not have mobile waiting rooms (and in fact only recently got linked to the Metro).

Although I suppose the modern jet bridge is a cut-down version of this idea; looking it up, they started using those about a year before this strip.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 9, 2024

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Selachian posted:

The "new Washington, D.C. terminal" would be Dulles Airport, which does not have mobile waiting rooms (and in fact only recently got linked to the Metro).

Although I suppose the modern jet bridge is a cut-down version of this idea; looking it up, they started using those about a year before this strip.

They had those yucky mobile lounges for a long time. They may be gone now, it’s been a long time since I used Dulles.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_lounge

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can assure you, the mobile lounges are still alive and well! They have built a light rail to three of the four main terminals, but the fourth is still connected by mobile lounge (though I think *technically* you can take the AeroTrain to C and walk to D from there).

They're definitely not what the original vision was - a place where you spend all your time between checking in and boarding that drives you straight up to the plane.

THORN, August 17-September 18, 1984

FALL 1984: You Mean There's More of You?

Jeff sure had opinions about the upcoming election!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (March 12, 1977)

Crankshaft

Pretty drat rich parting shot, considering the rest of the week.

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (January 20-22, 1936; spoilers for more Chinese racism crap)

Thimble Theater (October 12, 1940)

Out Our Way (March 13-15, 1944)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake The Magician

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

They had those yucky mobile lounges for a long time. They may be gone now, it’s been a long time since I used Dulles.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_lounge

they’re still there lol, it’s the best way to get to terminal D unless you really feel like walking the entire C/D terminal from the air train

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

davidspackage posted:

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 3/8/04

For the US Naval impaired: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Constitution

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Selachian posted:

Or you could just use a freaking airport bus. But that might be too simple and functional for braindamaged tech bros.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

davidspackage posted:

Make out with the dragonman, Flash

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Comic Strips 2024: Your poops may be destroying California!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
How to tell while showing and also telling.

Previous strip ended on a panel of Flash pulling Bok out of the pit. There is no "All right, let's get out of here" conversation, instead Bok is in the foreground knocking someone out, while Flash is in the background knocking someone out. And in the center and midground is Bones and their accomplice on the outside who btw is freely handing over the GALACTIC CUTLASS. With a bit of dialogue, the accomplice establishes the past between them and Bones with a debt being repaid, explains for the audience how Bones orchestrated the escape by mentioning the comm link, and then fully establishes that Flash is now Bones's friend.

That last panel though. Amazing framing, and "You aren't worth my worst." is one helluva line.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Yeah, Flash doesn't waste a single second, maybe not even a single panel. It rules.

Samovar posted:

Corto Maltese

These last 3 panels are beautiful. The two men fire their tongues off at each other, stare for a beat. Not a single word wasted for what has to happen next. :allears:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Kennel posted:

Esa Ahto

And so begins Esa Atho's cool career of awesome adventures, which we skip over.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I wonder how far ahead Flash is scripted? Even with experience, putting together framing and pacing like that takes work.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 9, 2024

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

they’re still there lol, it’s the best way to get to terminal D unless you really feel like walking the entire C/D terminal from the air train

they stick us on these every time after we land on an international flight to take us from the terminal to customs

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Hel posted:

And so begins Esa Atho's cool career of awesome adventures, which we skip over.

Hah, yeah these could have been expanded a bit, but it might be better that we rush to the main part of the comic, since this is still part of the introduction.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Mexikid Stories is good every time but man feels like every panel's just a big hit here

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

That last panel though. Amazing framing, and "You aren't worth my worst." is one helluva line.

And Bones is behind him grinning ear to ear and you know that on the off chance Flash does the stupid hero thing and lets this dude go, Bones will not.

Luann

Likes to tell everyone all the ways they're wrong. Doesn't like to hear it. It's okay, Bern, people like it when their therapist treats them like a stupid little rear end in a top hat. It's very professional.

Gil Thorp

Congrats, Gil

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

CannonFodder posted:

How to tell while showing and also telling.

Previous strip ended on a panel of Flash pulling Bok out of the pit. There is no "All right, let's get out of here" conversation, instead Bok is in the foreground knocking someone out, while Flash is in the background knocking someone out. And in the center and midground is Bones and their accomplice on the outside who btw is freely handing over the GALACTIC CUTLASS. With a bit of dialogue, the accomplice establishes the past between them and Bones with a debt being repaid, explains for the audience how Bones orchestrated the escape by mentioning the comm link, and then fully establishes that Flash is now Bones's friend.

I cannot say enough how amazing this is. And Lavender Jack is loving awesome.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (September 9-13, 2005)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck loving Twitter. I tried to send a message to the guy that does Flash, and because I never use Twitter, it threw a fit and made me take some loving match game to prove I wasn't a bot. Anyone else got a better way to send this author and artist some love?

edit: sorry, X. Why the gently caress is it called X now?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

https://www.instagram.com/danschkade/

I refuse to call it X; if Muskmelonhead wants to deadname his own kid, I'll deadname his stupid platform.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Cowslips Warren posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck loving Twitter. I tried to send a message to the guy that does Flash, and because I never use Twitter, it threw a fit and made me take some loving match game to prove I wasn't a bot. Anyone else got a better way to send this author and artist some love?

edit: sorry, X. Why the gently caress is it called X now?

You can still call it Twitter. Doing that pisses off Muskboy and almost anything that pisses him off is good.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Endless Mike posted:

I can assure you, the mobile lounges are still alive and well! They have built a light rail to three of the four main terminals, but the fourth is still connected by mobile lounge (though I think *technically* you can take the AeroTrain to C and walk to D from there).

They're definitely not what the original vision was - a place where you spend all your time between checking in and boarding that drives you straight up to the plane.
They're basically glorified buses, right? I never even heard of them called mobile lounges, I always called them shuttles.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Of course, until you observe the place the glasses are simultaneously there and not there.

Apartment 3-G

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

quote:

Parsley in the Corner

quote:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You can still call it Twitter. Doing that pisses off Muskboy and almost anything that pisses him off is good.

Good.

Also, Pickles does have kind of a sad point. I have several leopard tortoises, and we've had them in the family for a little over 30 years now, and they are definitely in my will. We also have a single Russian tortoise named oval, and she's been with us for about 30 years as well. We only see her once or twice a year though, she must have some underground bunker dug somewhere in the yard and it's too hot for her most of the year. The funny thing is that the year that Ukraine war started, we didn't see her that spring, and then just recently she popped up as if whatever business she had with taken care of.

It's kind of funny to think that we've had these guys for 30 years now, and some of their babies have grown up and started producing the next generation. And by now that generation is out there probably making more generations.

And yes, tortoises cannot learn how to fetch the way a dog can, but you can probably train them to do all kinds of other things; I know people who have trained theirs to open screen doors when they wanted to come inside. As long as you have patience, they have all the time in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Xitter