Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Outpost22 posted:

Why do I feel like that guy may have been known for other works?

I loved his popcorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I've never been into the Halloween movies, but a lot of the behind the scenes about the franchise has been pretty interesting to follow.

I'm sort of surprised by a few of the unmade concepts, specifically a pitch for a film that would reveal that a lot of people in the town were part of a cult. Every few generations they would mark someone in their community to become an agent of murder and kill off their entire bloodline as a sacrifice to appease malevolent entities, and in exchange the town would be protected from other evils for another generation or so.

It kind of tied in well with some of the Halloween 3 lore and at least offers some vaguely real-or-imagined supernatural mythology to Michael's ability to survive.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Gripweed posted:

Cathy’s Curse is coming out on 4k

is that the one that's about a demon?

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

the demons a bitch

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

THERE AIN'T NO DEMON!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
In Dune the Sardaukar know that the Fremen don't use shields because shields attract worms. So why don't the Sardaukar use guns and lasers freely against the Fremen?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
They do.

"Even now they are being hunted down like animals—with lasguns, because they have no shields. They are being exterminated."

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Vim Fuego posted:

In Dune the Sardaukar know that the Fremen don't use shields because shields attract worms. So why don't the Sardaukar use guns and lasers freely against the Fremen?

They're dumb as gently caress op. This is the message of dune

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The shield lasgun thing is so tedious. Why did frank even think that was a needed worldbuilding element, I mean his heart clearly wasn't in it

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
because he wanted an excuse for people to get loving stabbed

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

No Mods No Masters posted:

The shield lasgun thing is so tedious. Why did frank even think that was a needed worldbuilding element, I mean his heart clearly wasn't in it

"hey frank, why're they having swordfights when guns exist?"

"ah, everyone has personal force fields that are good at stopping fast objects"

"what about lasers :smuggo:"

"go gently caress yourself. they both explode like a nuke"

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think there are ways to let people have swordfights in your setting that don't involve extremely easily to trigger nuclear explosions that no one ever tries to take advantage of

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

atreides leave shield generators hanging around as booby traps during the harkonnen mop up, it's hard to get suicide bombers though

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
shang-chi 2 reportedly going into production next year

disney striking while the iron is hot

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Gripweed posted:

THERE AIN'T NO DEMON!

Made me mad Mike won this argument

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I think there are ways to let people have swordfights in your setting that don't involve extremely easily to trigger nuclear explosions that no one ever tries to take advantage of

Herbert wasn't trying to make a realistic depiction of the future. It's contrived poo poo to make the universe work. Robots and aliens were very popular in scifi during the 60s so he was like "gently caress that. no aliens or robots or computers" and just came up interesting but ludicrous workarounds.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Because "the slow blade pierces the shield" is a cool rear end line.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I didn't get how in the first Dunc, they make a point of showing off the shield for the first time, and having to make slow, deliberate strikes to penetrate the shield. Then they have the scene where Duncan Idaho goes ham on the Saudaukar and shivs them all with super fast strikes.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
he stab real slow

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
bu he dinn't

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Frank Frank posted:

So I was gonna subject my kids to watching the 1993 super Mario bros movie tonight but it turns out it’s not streaming anywhere and even if you find someone to sell you a blu ray, there’s a good chance it won’t work in NA players. I am disappointed. Anyone got a copy of this shitass movie I can buy?

never too young to learn about piracy

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Not every writer can be as clever as Yoshiyuki Tomino. Minovsky Particles is such a simple and elegant way to make giant robots doing sword fights a practical military tactic.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

RealityWarCriminal posted:

never too young to learn about piracy

I dunno, I wouldn't want my kids exposed to Johnny Depp.

FishingForGold
Mar 9, 2024
The winners for this year's Razzies has been announced:

44th GOLDEN RASPBERRY (RAZZIE®) AWARD “WINNERS”
PICTURE
Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey
ACTOR
Jon Voight / Mercy
ACTRESS
Megan Fox / Johnny & Clyde
RAZZIE® REDEEMER AWARD
1998 Nominee and current SAG/AFTRA President Fran Drescher, for her brilliant shepherding of the actors’ guild through a prolonged 2023 strike with a successful conclusion.
SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Megan Fox / Expend4bles
SUPPORTING ACTOR
Sylvester Stallone / Expend4ables
SCREEN COUPLE
Pooh & Piglet as Blood-Thirsty Slasher/Killers (!) in Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey
REMAKE, RIP-OFF or SEQUEL
DIRECTOR
Rhys Frake-Waterfield / Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey
SCREENPLAY
Winnie the Pooh: Blood & Honey, Written by Rhys Frake-Waterfield

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

FishingForGold posted:

The winners for this year's Razzies has been announced:

44th GOLDEN RASPBERRY (RAZZIE®) AWARD “WINNERS”
PICTURE
ACTOR
Jon Voight / Mercy
ACTRESS
Megan Fox / Johnny & Clyde
RAZZIE® REDEEMER AWARD
1998 Nominee and current SAG/AFTRA President Fran Drescher, for her brilliant shepherding of the actors’ guild through a prolonged 2023 strike with a successful conclusion.
SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Megan Fox / Expend4bles
SUPPORTING ACTOR
Sylvester Stallone / Expend4ables
SCREEN COUPLE
Pooh & Piglet as Blood-Thirsty Slasher/Killers (!) in Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey
REMAKE, RIP-OFF or SEQUEL
DIRECTOR
Rhys Frake-Waterfield / Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey
SCREENPLAY
Winnie the Pooh: Blood & Honey, Written by Rhys Frake-Waterfield

How boring. Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey sucked, but in an extremely dull way. Giving it a Razzie is pointless.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
The razzies existing is in itself pointless

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Sunk Dunk posted:

The razzies existing is in itself pointless

Sometimes the choices are mildly amusing.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

All awards shows are equally pointless

edit: The Razzies are fun at least. Emmys are a money laundering scheme and the Oscars were invented to stroke actor egos in order to pay them less

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The people who run the Razzies do not understand or even seem to like movies.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

sure okay posted:

edit: The Razzies are fun at least.

you sure about that?

you sure about that?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Real awards shows are fun because the industry throws raging wild parties afterwards. The Razzies are just kind of an amused chuckle when you read about it once a year

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Can anyone even remember the last time an actor was in a movie so bad that it actually ruined their career?

I feel that hasn't been a thing since the pre-80's and when actors quit the business now it's mostly due to them just being tired with all the poo poo.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the rlm threadies have been announced

best topic: star trek

poster of the year: kalel

x jakk in memorium video

post of the year: "I’m going to watch the Mickey Mouse (tm) classic When the Cat’s Away (c) (1929), which is only legally available streaming on Disney+" by poisonpill

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Twinks seem to be the ones you gotta keep your eye on lest they go fash at the drop of a hat

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Vakal posted:

Can anyone even remember the last time an actor was in a movie so bad that it actually ruined their career?

I feel that hasn't been a thing since the pre-80's and when actors quit the business now it's mostly due to them just being tired with all the poo poo.
that geena davis pirate movie from the 90's

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cubone posted:

that geena davis pirate movie from the 90's

Cutthroat Island. Actually not a bad movie, but a massive bomb.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Wasn’t there some rumours that Davis’ career got stalled by a sleazy producer who propositioned her? I could swear I heard something like that. Don’t know if it was Weinstein or what. Sucks if that’s the case.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Vakal posted:

Ruined? idk. I can think of more recent instances of performers trying to make the jump to film from stand-up or tv and getting bounced out of Hollywood after their first mainstream lead role — Tom Green, Elizabeth Berkley, Tupac, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

you sure about that?

you sure about that?

im a miserable gremlin who feeds on suffering

Im sure the dipshit chud Jon Voight was at least momentarily annoyed