Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Kavros posted:

I suggest that "needed zero hour outside help for surety backing of a ~100m bond while a ~500m bond is imminently closing in" is a pretty bad outside indicator of his condition. He's cash poor.

Especially considering that the ~100m bond we're talking about is virtually impossible to expect an overturn on because of Habba's legal management of the related case; Jean Carroll gets that money.

so what we just witnessed is that a bond granter has assured Jean Carroll's payout in exchange for being able to take their pick out of whatever Trump has offered to effectively underwrite.

The conventional wis...er..."wisdom" was that Trump was cash poor, his properties were leveraged to hell and back, and no one with an ounce of financial and/or common sense would give him the loans necessary to fund an appeal. Now he's convinced a seemingly reputable company to front the Carroll appeal money and it's a matter of time before Elon or some other galaxy brained billionaire gives him the half a billion necessary to appeal the big bond.

I get that they're betting on the idea that Trump wins and those judgements will be unenforceable against a sitting President, and they'll be able to gain major favor from President Trump for being loyal to him in his time of need (lol). Even if they end up being enforceable, Trump will no longer care; he'll be President until his end of days.

So, once again, Heads Trump wins Tails we lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

These are civil judgments in state court. There is no possible argument or mechanism by which the federal government can annul them, and if that happens then the Republic is dead anyway (which it might well be dying, I'll grant you).

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I'm pretty sure Carroll is gonna have money in her account way before the election. The appeal isn't going to take 8 months.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Kavros posted:

I suggest that "needed zero hour outside help for surety backing of a ~100m bond while a ~500m bond is imminently closing in" is a pretty bad outside indicator of his condition. He's cash poor.

Especially considering that the ~100m bond we're talking about is virtually impossible to expect an overturn on because of Habba's legal management of the related case; Jean Carroll gets that money.

so what we just witnessed is that a bond granter has assured Jean Carroll's payout in exchange for being able to take their pick out of whatever Trump has offered to effectively underwrite.

The general notion is dismay that there's yet another safety net available to him that would not be available to anyone else, and it's becoming clear that he'll never run out of people / organizations / governments / corporations willing to eat poo poo on his behalf. I think people are generally bemoaning that yes, he lost big in court but somehow yet again he's going to be bailed out and not have to really suffer any consequences because there's an infinite line of "sure I'll take a bullet for Trump in exchange for nothing" suckers / corrupt assholes waiting in the wings.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The general notion is dismay that there's yet another safety net available to him that would not be available to anyone else, and it's becoming clear that he'll never run out of people / organizations / governments / corporations willing to eat poo poo on his behalf. I think people are generally bemoaning that yes, he lost big in court but somehow yet again he's going to be bailed out and not have to really suffer any consequences because there's an infinite line of "sure I'll take a bullet for Trump in exchange for nothing" suckers / corrupt assholes waiting in the wings.

This isn't a bailout.

No one was ever going to give him an unsecured loan. This isn't in exchange for nothing. This is in exchange for his property. He gave them some sort of valuable property as collateral, and if he loses and can't pay them back then they keep the property and sell it off to pay what he owes them.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

This isn't a bailout.

No one was ever going to give him an unsecured loan. This isn't in exchange for nothing. This is in exchange for his property. He gave them some sort of valuable property as collateral, and if he loses and can't pay them back then they keep the property and sell it off to pay what he owes them.

And we will never see publicly whether any of that ever happens. I guess unless somebody buys Trump Tower suddenly or whatever.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

mdemone posted:

And we will never see publicly whether any of that ever happens. I guess unless somebody buys Trump Tower suddenly or whatever.

I'm pretty sure the details of the bond will be public record.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Main Paineframe posted:

This isn't a bailout.

I do kinda wonder what the ability of the lender would be to claim the security against an active current president is. Probably fully effective given the Clinton precedent. This isn't conduct related to office.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

This isn't a safety net situation — we're not talking about a bailout, this is someone underwriting his bond payment for appeal. Nobody's taking a bullet for him, they're trading up a shot at any unleveraged holdings in exchange for posting the bond to Ms. Carroll's absolutely assured payout.

This does not preclude someone eventually taking the bullet for him in the future by paying off the settlements in full to prevent a cascade leverage failure of Trump's property holdings, but within a matter of days, that moves up by about a half a billion dollars, leaving the question of what group is both willing and able to sink that kind of money to keep their god-king afloat for now.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I do kinda wonder what the ability of the lender would be to claim the security against an active current president is. Probably fully effective given the Clinton precedent. This isn't conduct related to office.

Trump gives the White House to E Jean Carroll and smugly says that Mar-a-Lago was the real white house as far as he's concerned.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Sure I get that this money isn't just free cash he gets. But it's impossible to argue that this is not a form of safety net for him. How in the world would anyone think he's trustworthy or that they can get a dollar out of him when he's spent 50 plus years avoiding having to pay anything.

So far no one has, and I'm skeptical that will change.

It just very much seems like this is the can getting kicked down the road yet again in terms of consequences for him.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

It just very much seems like this is the can getting kicked down the road yet again in terms of consequences for him.

CHUBB issues marine policies for yachts. On the very high end the hull and machinery policy for a yacht is less about the yacht and more about the finances of the yachts buyer. They really in detail probe into the finances of the very very rich because even the very very rich can ruin themselves with too much yacht (yearly ongoing costs are general 10% of initial purchase price from the shipyard).

Anyway the point. If CHUBB gave him the money, they’ve had a third party that doesn’t give a gently caress give then the honest assessment of his finances at some point.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Sure I get that this money isn't just free cash he gets. But it's impossible to argue that this is not a form of safety net for him. How in the world would anyone think he's trustworthy or that they can get a dollar out of him when he's spent 50 plus years avoiding having to pay anything.

So far no one has, and I'm skeptical that will change.

Posting a bond for the amount of the judgment before allowing an appeal is standard practice. I don't get what special treatment you think Trump is getting.

You seem to be assuming that Chubb just gave him $100M for the bond. That is not what happened.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Which means what, they’re confident that he really does have $100 million of recoverable collateral?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

haveblue posted:

Which means what, they’re confident that he really does have $100 million of recoverable collateral?

It means a surity bond underwriter (Federal Insurance Co.) sold Trump a policy.

It’s a bit different than insurance underwriting but what I’m seeing is they expect to get paid back and their underwriting folks should have verified his ability to do that before proceeding.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

haveblue posted:

Was there any real doubt? The question was never "Does he have $100 million worth of assets?", it was "Can he come up with $100 million in cash on a very short timeline?".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I guess CHUBB had an easier time of analyzing Trump’s actual financial status than DB did, because so much of it has been entered into evidence recently

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I guess CHUBB had an easier time of analyzing Trump’s actual financial status than DB did, because so much of it has been entered into evidence recently

They’re different types of capital. DB is a banker CHUBB is an insurer / underwriter. They approach things differently

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The bond buys Trump time to come up with the whole $83M. For 10% of that, FIC will guarantee the whole thing so the appeal can proceed.

Once the appeals are exhausted and the final judgment rendered, Trump still has to come up with the $83M. If he doesn't, FIC will pay it and then go after Trump for it.

It's not a special situation. It's FIC's business model. It's how appeal bonds work.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/24467616-trump-bond

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sure. And appeals will last far past the election and then it will be 'whoops! presidents don't have rules' again.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It means a surity bond underwriter (Federal Insurance Co.) sold Trump a policy.

It’s a bit different than insurance underwriting but what I’m seeing is they expect to get paid back and their underwriting folks should have verified his ability to do that before proceeding.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

they expect to get paid back

lol. lmao even.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

elhondo
Sep 20, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I am less sure that Trump secured the bond. It's possible that someone else guaranteed it.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

mutata posted:

Sure. And appeals will last far past the election and then it will be 'whoops! presidents don't have rules' again.

Trump will not be winning the November election.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Uglycat posted:

Trump will not be winning the November election.

That’s the spirit!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Chubb is being backed by the conservative businessman exactly like German Big Business backed Hitler, thinking they could control him.

Next thing you know you're factory is being supplied by slave labor and there's an enemy army advancing towards the camp.

But the profits before then will be immense! And it's not like your company will be wiped out afterwards.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Musk says he didn't donate to Trump. That doesn't rule out backing his bond.

Is Musk that gullible? Who knows.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Comstar posted:

Chubb is being backed by the conservative businessman exactly like German Big Business backed Hitler, thinking they could control him.

Next thing you know you're factory is being supplied by slave labor and there's an enemy army advancing towards the camp.

But the profits before then will be immense! And it's not like your company will be wiped out afterwards.

What enemy army do you think could march on American soil? The U.S. has nukes. There will be no one coming to save America from itself. There is no downside for the company, its factories will not be bombed from the air, no soldiers will storm its gates.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Musk says he didn't donate to Trump. That doesn't rule out backing his bond.

Is Musk that gullible? Who knows.

Musk was an idiot before he decided to start his daily vitamin k regimen. So yes, he is certainly gullible enough to give large sums of cash to a fellow traveler.

The issue is that both men are notorious liars and thus it's impossible to know if anything is true until an outside source verifies it.

Edit:Trump being able to pay for the various Carroll fines wasn't ever really at question. Even with his vastly leveraged holdings, it's all worth at least $100 million. The problem is the other judgement that is approaching half a billion on it's own.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 9, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Why are people continuously creating new catastrophic fantasies about a loving bond payment. Please don't make things up and post them as some sort of soothsaying exercise, take it to the arts forums.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

What enemy army do you think could march on American soil? The U.S. has nukes. There will be no one coming to save America from itself. There is no downside for the company, its factories will not be bombed from the air, no soldiers will storm its gates.

I will refer you to the upcoming documentary Civil War.

Also the future history show Fallout.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

As others have said there is no shortage of people willing to give Trump money. And while he has probably greatly inflated his wealth he probably is still rich enough to pay off all his lawsuites, even if it meant losing everything but Mar a Lago, and still live a life of luxury until he dies.

Civil court cases that only result in financial penalties were never going to result in actual justice being done to a rich man short of fines being so high they'd put him in a box on the street. Which was never going to happen anyways.

Its criminal court cases that I'm interested in. Those actually have a shot at real consequences for him. Even then he probably won't see the inside of a jail cell but at least his political aspirations for him and his family will be mostly dust.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Canada?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nice rebuilt WH you got there, shame if anything happened to it again

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

UK judge orders Trump to pay $380K to man who penned infamous 'Steele Dossier'

quote:

Former President Donald Trump's escalating legal penalties are a little larger after a judge in the United Kingdom ordered him to pay more than $380,000 to a firm run by Christopher Steele, the ex-British spy who penned the infamous 2016 dossier accusing Trump of harboring close ties to the Russians.

Trump sued Steele's firm, Orbis Business Intelligence, in a London court in 2022 over claims that the series of memos known as the "Steele Dossier" harmed his reputation and violated British data privacy laws.

But in February, Justice Karen Steyn tossed the suit -- without determining whether the allegations in the dossier were true or false -- and ordered Trump to compensate Steele for his legal fees.

According to the judge's order, which was made public Thursday, the judge gave Trump 28 days to execute the payment of GBP 300,000, which equates to roughly $384,000.

Last month Trump was fined a total of $464 million in disgorgement and interest in his civil fraud case brought by the New York attorney general, and this week he posted a $91 million bond to cover the judgment plus interest in writer E. Jean Carroll's defamation case while he pursues an appeal.

Neither Trump's U.K.-based attorney nor Orbis Business Intelligence responded to a request for comment from ABC News.

:chaostrump: :homebrew:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Comstar posted:

https://jacobin.com/2022/06/nazi-billionaires-capitalism-hitler-book-review

Harald Quandt is a premier example of how it was a very successful bet

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DarkHorse posted:

https://jacobin.com/2022/06/nazi-billionaires-capitalism-hitler-book-review

Harald Quandt is a premier example of how it was a very successful bet

The Quandts are evil motherfuckers who deserve an eternity of punishment. Any time you want to become extremely angry, watch this documentary. It gets taken down and re-uploaded occasionally, but it's up now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shkgyrual2g

Seriously, gently caress those people.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
So, it looks like Trump controlled himself so as to not defame Carroll again until he had the bond in place and then he wen't right back at it over the weekend.

Speculation on r/law is that Carrolls lawyer now has a pretty good chance of success of asking the judge to revoke the bond and pay it out immediately since he has now publicly defamed her again in exactly the same manner as previously.

Which would be hilarious. Also, if I were CHUBB's board I would immediately fire the CEO who cost the company 91 million over a weekend, that may take years of legal action to recover, on a dumb bet.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Could you provide some source for the new defamation?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/03/09/us/2024-presidential-election/trump-carroll?smid=url-share

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/found-liable-attack-trump-claims-e-jean-carroll-made-false-accusations-rcna142637

a loving idiot posted:

“I just posted a $91 million bond, $91 million on a fake story, totally made-up story,” he said, referencing the bond he posted this week as he appeals a defamation verdict against him.

“Ninety-one million based on false accusations made about me by a woman that I knew nothing about, didn’t know, never heard of, I know nothing about her,” he continued.

“She wrote a book, she said things,” Trump told the raucous crowd in Rome, about 70 miles northeast of Atlanta. “And when I denied it, I said, ‘It’s so crazy. It’s false.’ I get sued for defamation. That’s where it starts.”

Literally hours after posting the bond.

ETA: I'm calling Trump a loving idiot, to be clear.