Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

In the Nvidia control panel have you set the refresh rate in there, or in the Windows display settings menu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Branch Nvidian posted:

In the Nvidia control panel have you set the refresh rate in there, or in the Windows display settings menu?

In the windows settings menu. From advanced display settings and then in a pop up menu on monitor there’s a drop down with 60 100 or 165 (I think away from my computer right now) but when I select 165 and save when I exit that window and go right back it’s back to 100.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Tom Tucker posted:

In the windows settings menu. From advanced display settings and then in a pop up menu on monitor there’s a drop down with 60 100 or 165 (I think away from my computer right now) but when I select 165 and save when I exit that window and go right back it’s back to 100.

Okay then. In the Nvidia control panel, you go to the sub menu for setting your resolution and refresh rate and make sure you have that set to 165. Additionally on the monitor itself, go into the settings using the controls on the monitor and make sure you have that refresh rate enabled.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Branch Nvidian posted:

Okay then. In the Nvidia control panel, you go to the sub menu for setting your resolution and refresh rate and make sure you have that set to 165. Additionally on the monitor itself, go into the settings using the controls on the monitor and make sure you have that refresh rate enabled.

It looks like the resolution I'm on (3440 x 1440) has a drop down up to 100 hz and if I switch to 2560 x 1440 I can select 144 hz but obviously it's stretched.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That's the monitor's max. preset resolution for HDMI according to the manual, using a HDMI cable wouldn't help.

I'm seeing reddit posts where people had to make custom resolutions to run 3440x1440 165 Hz with 10-bit HDR (8-bit should work out of the box, what's yours set to?).

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 9, 2024

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My mother in law on the other side of the country wants a new computer and I don't think I should get into building her one. I might anyways to guarantee a slot to stuff her old hard disk or something. But disregarding that, who is making a decent Windows desktop for social media granny for sub-$1000 (excluding monitor) these days?

Edit: I can look up details, so I just needed an impression of different manufacturers these days. I have not bothered to keep up with that in a long time, and I don't know what to make of Googling that anymore with SEO and enshittification.

Edit edit: apparently everybody decided to get her a tablet after I finally got off my rear end so I guess it is moot. Sorry to whoever has half a response already typed up.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 9, 2024

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
Just realized I’d rather buy a new system drive than try to juggle data around on what I’ve already god. What’s a 2tb M.2 go to people like?

Also if I’m swapping NVIDIA gpus out in the same system do I need to uninstall my gpu drivers? I know its highly reccomend when switching between brands but not sure about staying on the same os/drivers.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
I put WD_BLACK SN850X 1 TB drives in my latest build and have been happy with them.
Just ordered a 2 TB version from Amazon for $156.99 just for games.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Alehkhs posted:

I'm looking for advice on two separate builds (here referred to Build A and Build B) and am completely out-of-touch with the current scene:

I actually have this exact same requirement if anyone is able to help out Alehkhs, one suped up 4090 :homebrew: and one that just needs an update and play less demanding games.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Background: I built my current PC back in 2020 based on the advice of the thread. Originally I intended to purchase a 3060, however, GPU prices went hog wild right as I was starting the build, so I just kept the old 1060 6GB that I had. My gaming needs were pretty light, and it worked just fine.

I've handed off that PC to my daughter. She's asked if we can upgrade it so that it runs Baldur's Gate 3 and Hogwarts Legacy better. I know a new GPU is in my future, but I'd like to know if I need to upgrade anything else as well.

What country are you in?
U.S.

Do you live near Microcenter?
No.

What are you using the system for?
Gaming and homework.

What's your budget?
I'd like to stay under $500 for the upgrades, but can afford up to $1,000 if I really need to.

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?
1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz. I'd like to be able to maintain High settings in Hogwarts Legacy at that resolution/framerate.

The current build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Black SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI GEFORCE GTX 1060 6GT OC GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR200 Mini ITX Desktop Case
Power Supply: Corsair SF600 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply

So, thread, what specifically do I need to upgrade for her?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Just the GPU, that's by far the biggest bottleneck in that system.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Hi thread!

I've finally realised there are games that won't run on my NVidia 1050 card (Baldur's Gate 3), and am looking to upgrade. Budget CAD$450-ish.

It seems like the 4060 might be the thing, although it also seems comparably priced to the 3060? And I'm seeing some suggestions that AMD might be better at that price point?

Also I'm using a micro-ATX case/motherboard (Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L / ASRock B560M PRO4). Are there any concerns about form factor with the newer, chunkier cards?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

I'd say your choice is between the 4060 and the 7600 XT. The 4060 has better ray tracing performance, the 7600 XT has twice the VRAM which should give it more longevity.

Regarding compatibility just plug your case and potential GPUs into PCPP and it should throw up any incompatibilities but at the 36cm of GPU length support your case has you'll be fine for any card of either chipset.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

Just the GPU, that's by far the biggest bottleneck in that system.

Looking at prices, I can grab an Asus 4060 for $300, which my wallet will appreciate and should be good enough for what she wants.

Any reason to consider alternatives? I like the idea of the quiet bios in on the Asus card.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'd say your choice is between the 4060 and the 7600 XT. The 4060 has better ray tracing performance, the 7600 XT has twice the VRAM which should give it more longevity.

Regarding compatibility just plug your case and potential GPUs into PCPP and it should throw up any incompatibilities but at the 36cm of GPU length support your case has you'll be fine for any card of either chipset.

Thanks -- yeah I figured the case is probably long enough, just as long as it doesn't bump into the PSU or anything.

So the 7600 XT is definitely ~$50 more expensive, and Passmark says it's still not as good at a general 3D benchmark, and that the 4060 is the sweet spot in terms of performance per dollar:

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/...rce-RTX-4060-Ti

How much of a difference does the extra VRAM actually make? It seems like for the case of Baldur's Gate, the issue isn't so much the RAM on my 1050 as the 3D performance causing the game to get laggy.

Also how much of a difference do the different flavours/makers of cards make? I'm also definitely interested in the possibility of the quieter Asus 4060.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

Looking at prices, I can grab an Asus 4060 for $300, which my wallet will appreciate and should be good enough for what she wants.

Any reason to consider alternatives? I like the idea of the quiet bios in on the Asus card.
As long as she doesn’t demand ray tracing a Radeon 7600 is the right around the same performance for $30-40 less, or spending an extra $30-40 for a last gen 6700xt will get you a good bump in performance and an extra 4gb of vram that should give it more longevity.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Thanks -- yeah I figured the case is probably long enough, just as long as it doesn't bump into the PSU or anything.

So the 7600 XT is definitely ~$50 more expensive, and Passmark says it's still not as good at a general 3D benchmark, and that the 4060 is the sweet spot in terms of performance per dollar:

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/...rce-RTX-4060-Ti

How much of a difference does the extra VRAM actually make? It seems like for the case of Baldur's Gate, the issue isn't so much the RAM on my 1050 as the 3D performance causing the game to get laggy.

Also how much of a difference do the different flavours/makers of cards make? I'm also definitely interested in the possibility of the quieter Asus 4060.

In real-world performance the RX 7600 and RTX 4060 go blow-for-blow, and you can get the non-XT model for a fair bit cheaper with the same amount of VRAM as the 4060. That said, the 4060 does have better raytracing performance (which isn't as much of a factor in this price bracket) and generally better quality upscaling with DLSS.

Extra VRAM actually makes a ton of difference, even at 1080p - the thing with VRAM is that once you hit the ceiling your performance goes right in the bucket, even if you've still got GPU performance overhead. 8gb should be sufficient for 1080p gaming, but you might have to turn down a bell here and a whistle there in big budget titles with blown out specs. (edit for further clarification: the 7600 XT and 4060 Ti 16gb models are in a weird place because 8gb is on the edge of too little but 16gb is way overkill for this class of card unless you're using the card for something non-gaming)

The differences between most makes and models comes down to a combination of aesthetics and cooler design. Bigger cards with bigger heatsinks and more fans tend to run quieter, but at this price category anything should be sufficient. If noise is a concern you can customize the fan curve of any card you get, in case the stock settings make it run like a chainsaw any time a game fires up.

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 12, 2024

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

Alright so in light of this year likely getting drastically worse for me in a lot of ways it's probably time to spend the money on the pc upgrade. I basically want a system that can do stuff like BG3/Cyberpunk at say 60 fps at mostly maxed settings (or fairly high for cyberpunk since nothing seems to really get to 60 in it) but also I'd like something that can do max settings and 60 fps for FF14's expansion this year, and I guess maybe 60-120 fps in the WoW expansion later this year as well if I end up getting that. Would be nice to be able to do Guildwars 2, Warframe, that sort of stuff at totally maxed settings at 60-120fps as well if I ever go back to those at some point. My current system is mostly just okay, and I think I'll keep it as a backup that I don't plug in except when I use it for drawing tablet stuff etc. I have a high amount of tech fear and anxiety and honestly I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't just buy geforce now for half a year and use that to play the more demanding stuff, but I'm not sure I'll even be able to use the money for this computer upgrade six or eight months from now.

Current system: i5 8400, 16gb ram, z370pro4 motherboard, 1060 6gb gtx gpu

I'm in :canada:Canada:canada: so don't be alarmed at the prices, they are more or less what they are.

Upgrade system:

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D 3 GHz 8-Core Processor 339$
Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE (Already purchased)
MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard 235$
TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory 90$
Samsung 970 Evo 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (Already purchased)
MSI VENTUS 2X BLACK OC GeForce RTX 4060 8 GB Video Card 399$
Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case 105$
MSI MAG A850GL PCIE5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 145$

Total: $1312.45

I guess I could shave 100$ off by just getting the 5700x, but someone sort of said the x3d was kind of what you want to do? Heck the 5600x is another 50 off if there's really no difference. Don't really know.

PSU: If anyone knows maybe three PSUs to recommend that are very well regarded in the 750-850 range of similar price range that would be handy as the current one isn't in stock at Amazon and I'd rather just get it all ensemble I think.

People are going to scream about me needing a 4070, but I really would rather err on the side of a more power efficient and low-wear CPU, and it seems like increasing the build cost 300$ for the 4070 would be both dauntingly expensive on its own and also incur a similar spike in the CPU price to pair with it. I remain somewhat confused about why people are so aggressively insistent on the 4070 without really offering why the extra ram is necessary. This is where I also wonder if I should just settle with the 5700x or 5600x rather than 3d.

I *may* upgrade my monitor to 120hz, and possibly to 1440p, but that wouldn't be immediately or likely even terribly soon. My eyes are kind of problematic enough at this point that I don't know I'd really be able to appreciate the dramatic jump in resolution, maybe the fps for reaction time but almost certainly not the resolution. But even looking at the bottleneck calculations for that the numbers seem bafflingly almost entirely the same in terms of fps.

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008
Hi thread

Going to buy a new rig, as my current rig has some years on it now, and it's starting to show.
As I'm only looking at hardware every 4' years or so, I'm a bit out of the loop.
Hoping you guys can chime in with some critique. I might be totally wrong about some parts, or some minor change can give me a boost.
Also I have no idea if the vendors has new models coming out soon or the likes.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YHFMdH

What country are you in? Denmark :denmark:
Do you live near Microcenter? Doesn't exist here
What are you using the system for? Gaming & work(Coding)
What's your budget? Whatever fits. Not looking to pay 50%+ more for 10% extra performance.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Currently I have an old AOC 21:9 34' running 3440x1440p@60Hz. After this build I will probably purchase an Odyssey G9 '49 5120x1440p(not sure exactly which model). I will be using the Odyssey primarily for gaming and the AOC as a secondary monitor.
Gaming wise I am playing mostly PathOfExile & Last Epoch. However I am playing some DayZ, CS2, BG3 as well.

I don't need to run everything at super-duper-ultra, but i'd like for it to run on at least 'high' settings, and I shouldn't notice framedrops og stuttering in the next 1-2 years for newer games.

If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow?
This is what I typically have open, and can see during work or private coding.
1 VS/VS Code
1 Terminal window
2 browsers

CPU wise I think I'm fine for my private coding - Not doing insane amounts of DB manipulation or number crunching. If so I'm doing it on external systems.

If I had more space currently, I would have more stuff open. With the AOC as a secondary monitor, I would probably have production monitoring and Slack on the screen.

NOTES:
Also - Please tell me if it's totally ridicoulus to work/game on the Odyssey, and I should buy several smaller normal monitors instead.

Since I am using my work laptop when working, I will need to have a switch where I can switch between my desktop connections and the laptop(2x DisplayPort, 3x USB). Any recommendations for this setup or switchtype?
Do I need to buy extra cables for the PSU?

Fan wise, I am thinking of mounting the radiator in the top with 2 x 120mm blowing out - 2 x 120mm in front sucking in, and 1 x 120mm in the back blowing out.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($356.00 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B650 GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory ($112.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($165.49 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XT 20 GB Video Card ($699.99 @ Newegg)
Case: *Fractal Design North ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: *Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($116.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fans 5-Pack ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1936.42

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Blorknorg posted:

Alright so in light of this year likely getting drastically worse for me in a lot of ways it's probably time to spend the money on the pc upgrade. I basically want a system that can do stuff like BG3/Cyberpunk at say 60 fps at mostly maxed settings (or fairly high for cyberpunk since nothing seems to really get to 60 in it) but also I'd like something that can do max settings and 60 fps for FF14's expansion this year, and I guess maybe 60-120 fps in the WoW expansion later this year as well if I end up getting that. Would be nice to be able to do Guildwars 2, Warframe, that sort of stuff at totally maxed settings at 60-120fps as well if I ever go back to those at some point. My current system is mostly just okay, and I think I'll keep it as a backup that I don't plug in except when I use it for drawing tablet stuff etc. I have a high amount of tech fear and anxiety and honestly I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't just buy geforce now for half a year and use that to play the more demanding stuff, but I'm not sure I'll even be able to use the money for this computer upgrade six or eight months from now.

Current system: i5 8400, 16gb ram, z370pro4 motherboard, 1060 6gb gtx gpu

I'm in :canada:Canada:canada: so don't be alarmed at the prices, they are more or less what they are.

Upgrade system:

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D 3 GHz 8-Core Processor 339$
Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE (Already purchased)
MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard 235$
TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory 90$
Samsung 970 Evo 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (Already purchased)
MSI VENTUS 2X BLACK OC GeForce RTX 4060 8 GB Video Card 399$
Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case 105$
MSI MAG A850GL PCIE5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 145$

Total: $1312.45

I guess I could shave 100$ off by just getting the 5700x, but someone sort of said the x3d was kind of what you want to do? Heck the 5600x is another 50 off if there's really no difference. Don't really know.

The 5700X3D makes sense due to the 3D L3 cache. A lot of games use that large pool of cache memory and will get noticeably better performance. You can save $100-$150 by getting a non-3D chip and be fine, but you are going to be losing a good amount of performance by doing so.

quote:

PSU: If anyone knows maybe three PSUs to recommend that are very well regarded in the 750-850 range of similar price range that would be handy as the current one isn't in stock at Amazon and I'd rather just get it all ensemble I think.

Corsair RM750e (2023) is in stock and a little cheaper.

quote:

People are going to scream about me needing a 4070, but I really would rather err on the side of a more power efficient and low-wear CPU, and it seems like increasing the build cost 300$ for the 4070 would be both dauntingly expensive on its own and also incur a similar spike in the CPU price to pair with it. I remain somewhat confused about why people are so aggressively insistent on the 4070 without really offering why the extra ram is necessary. This is where I also wonder if I should just settle with the 5700x or 5600x rather than 3d.

It's not just about the RAM. The 4070, on the whole, is about 55% more performant than the 4060 to begin with. As you go up in resolution and settings quality the size of the assets increases, and at the point we're at now 8GB really just isn't enough to play at higher settings at higher resolutions like 1440 or 4K. Additionally, TechPowerUp rates the 4060 as being able to play at 1440, but not a high settings, much less maxed out ones. The 4070 is the better buy of the two. If the price jump to the 4070 is too much, then check out the RX 7700 XT, which is a 37% performance increase over the 4060.

It should be noted you're also way overpaying for a motherboard. Here's what I'd do instead with an RX 7700 XT:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D 3 GHz 8-Core Processor ($339.00 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B550M-A WIFI II Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($89.49 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: PowerColor Fighter OC Radeon RX 7700 XT 12 GB Video Card ($577.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($136.50 @ Vuugo)
Total: $1387.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-13 09:58 EDT-0400

And then with an RTX 4070:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D 3 GHz 8-Core Processor ($339.00 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B550M-A WIFI II Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($89.49 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Asus DUAL OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card ($719.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($136.50 @ Vuugo)
Total: $1529.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-13 09:59 EDT-0400

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Became aware of a pretty serious "bug" regarding 13/14th gen Intels last night:
https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...s-also-affected

I have a 13700k and I've changed the Long Duration Power Limit(W) to 125W and the Short Duration Power Limit(W) to 253W, since they were default set to the insane auto limit of 4096W.

However, I can't find any information on what the correct CPU Current Limit(A) should be set at for a 13700k. Searched for over an hour last night and couldn't find a straight answer. Anyone know so I can put this to bed?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

fat bossy gerbil posted:

As long as she doesn’t demand ray tracing

Thread title suggestion.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there anything wrong or bad with this build? I get that it's a little expensive but this is kind of an interesting pre-built. The only thing that holds me back is the RTA 4070. Is that a special version? I take it, I won't be able to play 4k games too well or will I with this rig? If not, what are the odds the 5xxx series won't be as gigantic and will fit into this?

https://x.com/ASUS_ROG/status/1682322023467606017?s=20

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gucci Loafers posted:

Is there anything wrong or bad with this build? I get that it's a little expensive but this is kind of an interesting pre-built. The only thing that holds me back is the RTA 4070. Is that a special version? I take it, I won't be able to play 4k games too well or will I with this rig? If not, what are the odds the 5xxx series won't be as gigantic and will fit into this?

https://x.com/ASUS_ROG/status/1682322023467606017?s=20

Prebuilt small-form-factor systems are always hit or miss. Based on the gallery on the product page, it looks like it's using a "sandwich" layout, where the motherboard and GPU are on opposite sides, with the GPU fans facing a mesh side panel. These setups can work reasonably well, provided the mesh panels have good porosity and the fans are set up correctly (AIO/case fans exhaust, creating a negative pressure system that lets the GPU breathe fresh air from the mesh side panel). Surprisingly, I don't see any glaring red flags here.

The specs depend on how you configure the system when buying, but none of the configurations I'm seeing seem like they'll be particularly good at 4K gaming, though if you get the version with an RTX 4070, it won't be awful at it either. That system would be significantly more powerful than a PS5 or Xbox Series X, with the ability to upscale without losing much image quality thanks to DLSS. You'd be able to do some 4K gaming at 60fps, but probably not when cranking ray-tracing effects at the same time.

edit: Biggest downside is that all configurations only come with 16GB of memory, and they're using a motherboard with SO-DIMM slots (laptop memory) for some reason. This is somewhat of a problem because 16GB may lead to some issues in some modern games, and SO-DIMM memory tends to be slower than standard desktop memory. Still, it's at least replaceable if you want to upgrade it down the line.

edit 2: here's a review of the i7/4070 model from IGN India: https://in.ign.com/asus-rog-g22ch-2024-gaming-desktop/203132/review/asus-rog-g22ch-2024-gaming-desktop-review

On the store page I was looking at, the i7 versions were listed as having air coolers, but their unit had a liquid cooler (though it was provided by Asus, so who knows if retail units come like that). Their unit was noisy anyway because it's only using 80mm fans. So that's something to be aware of. Maybe it's possible to tweak the fan curve, but there's only so much you can do with such small fans.

edit 3: sorry to spam these edits, but lol, what is this:

that is a terrible low-profile cooling solution. It looks like a laptop-style cooler, except attached to a desktop CPU with an IHS (the heat spreader) instead of direct die. I assume. Air is brought in through the mesh panel, and presumably exhausted out the top via case fans. If they're really shipping the i7 models with that, then avoid.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 14, 2024

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

edit 3: sorry to spam these edits, but lol, what is this:

that is a terrible low-profile cooling solution. It looks like a laptop-style cooler, except attached to a desktop CPU with an IHS (the heat spreader) instead of direct die. I assume. Air is brought in through the mesh panel, and presumably exhausted out the top via case fans. If they're really shipping the i7 models with that, then avoid.

Ah hah, so that's what they did! I wonder if it'd be that bad with an i7? And I'm kind of surprised to hear the liquid cooled model is actually loud? Maybe that's why there aren't any reviews. I wonder if it too can be improved any with a fan curve, different fans or something else? Cool design but they're hitting that "too thin" issue.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Dumping a 13900KF in a 10L SFF case is a stupid idea from a cooling perspective, particularly so for a gaming focused machine because the additional 25% real power draw over say the 13700KF results in negligible performance increases in games. And that's with an actual good AIO cooling solution or whatever.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

In addition to the good advice you've already received, I'd also like to clear a few things up for you:

Blorknorg posted:

People are going to scream about me needing a 4070, but I really would rather err on the side of a more power efficient and low-wear CPU, and it seems like increasing the build cost 300$ for the 4070 would be both dauntingly expensive on its own and also incur a similar spike in the CPU price to pair with it.

Automatically bumping up the CPU because you spend more on the GPU is not a thing. They do two different jobs and as long as the CPU does everything you need it to, having a faster GPU won't tax it more. Higher resolutions generally means lower framerates, so less actual work for the CPU to do. Having the fastest CPU going is only really relevant for extremely high frame rate lower resolution gamers. As you were already told, the 4070 is a much better GPU than the 4060 and that's why you should try to budget for it.

Blorknorg posted:

I *may* upgrade my monitor to 120hz, and possibly to 1440p, but that wouldn't be immediately or likely even terribly soon. My eyes are kind of problematic enough at this point that I don't know I'd really be able to appreciate the dramatic jump in resolution, maybe the fps for reaction time but almost certainly not the resolution. But even looking at the bottleneck calculations for that the numbers seem bafflingly almost entirely the same in terms of fps.

Surely if your eyes are bad you'd be better off getting a larger screen? Most 1440p monitors start at 27", whereas I guess you're currently using something 24" or smaller. Nevermind the resolution, just having more screen real estate is surely better for you? Resolution wise, you can always scale Windows to make the icons legible.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

I'm not sure but my eyes I guess are screwed up in unconventional ways maybe? The distance I need to be from the screen even with glasses means that even the 24 inches is pretty much enough to fill my vision, I really don't know. I have longer range glasses that incite migraines and kind of make me feel generally ill, but they're the ones the eye doctors prescribed, so they're the only other ones I have. I very much appreciate the feedback and advice in either case.

Every video and every tech benchmarking site just seems to say that the 4060 will do fine at 60 fps? Not Cyberpunk, that'll be like 55 and lower, but just about everything else is quite stable, or so it seems. I really don't know. In regards to the AMD offering I stopped trusting them after hating both of the cards I had in the past from them, even going back to the AMD cpu has me a bit nervous, but the versatility in OS choice is kind of important for me I guess.

My most recent amd card had this infuriating 'screen flick' tech issue that nobody online had a resolution for, ever. Even after getting essentially an entirely new computer it persisted, and only after upgrading to the1060 did it finally die.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The 4060 can do an adequate job at 1080p / 60fps gameplay but it's in this uncomfortable "a little too expensive, a little too weak, a little too sparse VRAM" divot where it feels bad to recommend to anyone not either upgrading an old rig on the cheap or building a super tightly budgeted system - and with the system you're eyeballing it'd definitely be the first thing you'd need to eventually replace, and that 'eventually' might come sooner than you'd like

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Gucci Loafers posted:

Ah hah, so that's what they did! I wonder if it'd be that bad with an i7? And I'm kind of surprised to hear the liquid cooled model is actually loud? Maybe that's why there aren't any reviews. I wonder if it too can be improved any with a fan curve, different fans or something else? Cool design but they're hitting that "too thin" issue.

For some reason Asus sent one to Retro Game Corps (even though he only really tests handhelds): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPBp31jv9Q4

TLDR is that it's expensive (the model he reviews with a 13700K is on sale for $1500 right now but you could still build something comparable for less, especially if you look at used parts) and that it's pretty loud, as expected

Edit: Here's a really quick ITX build I put together that's about the same price, you could definitely stay under $1,500, and under $1,400 if you watch out for sales and buy the GPU used: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8TDvkJ. It's 18 liters but you could easily switch out the cooler and go smaller if you can find a 14-liter case (sadly it appears my beloved Lian Li Q58 has been discontinued or something)

change my name fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 14, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Blorknorg posted:

I'm not sure but my eyes I guess are screwed up in unconventional ways maybe? The distance I need to be from the screen even with glasses means that even the 24 inches is pretty much enough to fill my vision, I really don't know. I have longer range glasses that incite migraines and kind of make me feel generally ill, but they're the ones the eye doctors prescribed, so they're the only other ones I have. I very much appreciate the feedback and advice in either case.

I also have debilitating migraine issues and wear special glasses. Going to a larger format monitor that you can position further away and then increase scaling in the OS is very likely going to help you as it did me. My monitors went from 25" to 27" to 34" to 45" and each time the monitor's central point has been pushed further away. If you don't have migraines on their own and they're specifically being caused by the glasses then you need to speak with your optometrist because any eye strain or nausea from new glasses are supposed to subside about about two weeks.

quote:

Every video and every tech benchmarking site just seems to say that the 4060 will do fine at 60 fps? Not Cyberpunk, that'll be like 55 and lower, but just about everything else is quite stable, or so it seems. I really don't know.

Like Doombat says, it'll technically get the job done for now, but it's a terrible value and it's going to age like milk to the point that in a couple years time you're going to be dropping at least the same amount of cash on a new GPU. And while what Butterfly Valley says regarding CPU and GPU's not needing to be lockstep with each other is absolutely true, a 4060 is going to hold a 5700X3D back.

quote:

In regards to the AMD offering I stopped trusting them after hating both of the cards I had in the past from them, even going back to the AMD cpu has me a bit nervous, but the versatility in OS choice is kind of important for me I guess.

My most recent amd card had this infuriating 'screen flick' tech issue that nobody online had a resolution for, ever. Even after getting essentially an entirely new computer it persisted, and only after upgrading to the1060 did it finally die.

That's perfectly understandable, and I was in the same position mentally prior to Ryzen launching. My current GPU is the first discrete AMD card I've bought since the mid-00s, the only other one I've had being in a 2011 iMac, and I only went with an AMD card because I was getting fed up of Nvidia's VRAM allocation strategy causing me to run into issues.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Dumping a 13900KF in a 10L SFF case is a stupid idea from a cooling perspective, particularly so for a gaming focused machine because the additional 25% real power draw over say the 13700KF results in negligible performance increases in games. And that's with an actual good AIO cooling solution or whatever.

Hell, I didn't even notice that earlier. What's annoying is I can't tell if the lower i7-14700F model comes with just air cooling or the AIO.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Are any these parts salvageable for reuse in a new rig

EVGA 500W PSU
EVGA DDR3 RAM
ASRock Z97X Killer Mobo
Some sort of Cooler Master fan cpu cooler

These are all from 2015-ish, so probably not

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Maybe the cooler but not worth your time to make sure you have, or to order the correct bracket for a modern motherboard.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Are any these parts salvageable for reuse in a new rig

EVGA 500W PSU
EVGA DDR3 RAM
ASRock Z97X Killer Mobo
Some sort of Cooler Master fan cpu cooler

These are all from 2015-ish, so probably not

In general the wisdom has been not to reuse psus since they wear and can “catch on fire”. In reality if it’s stable now then it should only run into problems if you hook it up to something new. The more practical reasons your old psu are no longer relevant are: wattage requirements going up, gpus playing rough with old psus that arent designed to take transient power draw spikes, 12VHPWR connections on new gpus.

DDR3 ram is now 2 generations of ram (and like 10-12years) behind you will appreciate modern ram being faster.

Motherboards have always been designed to support a small number of compatible cpus over a limited timeframe the last z97x compatible cpu was released sometime in 2014 or 2015. New cpu=new motherboard.

If these parts are currently in a system that runs you can just keep them together and they’ll be moderately useful. You could donate them, sell them, or use them as a home server.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

All these parts come from a computer with a fried hard drive, so it's time to get a new machine anyway

There's a local electronics recycling thing coming up soon, so that's one option

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007
I've specced out this computer and what to see what your guys thoughts are on it. I would like something I can get consistent 60 FPS on newer games with high settings at like 1440p (I think 4k is too much for that?). I kind of took the PC Part Picker guide then went for ultra premium parts because usually I keep my computer for a long as time (the one I have now is 8 years old). I'm I over shooting on the PSU? I prefer like super high quality parts that I just run forever.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-14700K 3.4 GHz 20-Core Processor ($389.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($119.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *MSI PRO Z790-S WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($171.35 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB Video Card ($799.99 @ Newegg)
Case: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 901 ATX Full Tower Case ($300.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME TX-1000 1000 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($309.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit ($149.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $2526.24
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-14 16:40 EDT-0400

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

You can save 100+ bucks on Windows from either Brown Thunder or the other goon I'm forgetting

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Pooperscooper posted:

I've specced out this computer and what to see what your guys thoughts are on it. I would like something I can get consistent 60 FPS on newer games with high settings at like 1440p (I think 4k is too much for that?). I kind of took the PC Part Picker guide then went for ultra premium parts because usually I keep my computer for a long as time (the one I have now is 8 years old). I'm I over shooting on the PSU? I prefer like super high quality parts that I just run forever.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-14700K 3.4 GHz 20-Core Processor ($389.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($119.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *MSI PRO Z790-S WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($171.35 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB Video Card ($799.99 @ Newegg)
Case: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 901 ATX Full Tower Case ($300.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME TX-1000 1000 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($309.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit ($149.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $2526.24
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-14 16:40 EDT-0400

Way overkill on the PSU, and the cost of the PC case is pretty ridiculous. The 14th "Gen" Intel chips are more expensive for not any more real performance, and the Thermalright Peereless Assassin 120SE does basically just as well as the Noctua cooler at a fraction of the cost. I swapped some parts out, and was able to get you into an RTX 4080 Super for less than what you'd specced out. Additionally, get your Windows key from SA Mart for $20.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($369.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B760 AORUS ELITE AX ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER 16 GB Video Card ($1139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($116.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit ($20.00)
Total: $2217.19
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-14 16:48 EDT-0400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

Way overkill on the PSU, and the cost of the PC case is pretty ridiculous. The 14th "Gen" Intel chips are more expensive for not any more real performance, and the Thermalright Peereless Assassin 120SE does basically just as well as the Noctua cooler at a fraction of the cost. I swapped some parts out, and was able to get you into an RTX 4080 Super for less than what you'd specced out. Additionally, get your Windows key from SA Mart for $20.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($369.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B760 AORUS ELITE AX ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER 16 GB Video Card ($1139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($116.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit ($20.00)
Total: $2217.19
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-14 16:48 EDT-0400

Thanks! Sorry I'm a bit out of the PC parts game but does Corsair make a good PSU? I've always heard quality PSU is a must and okay splurging on it. Can you recommend a PC Case that is quiet and looks good maybe like $150-$200?