Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

looks cool but the skins will be a million dollars each so I'm not exactly enthusiastic.

I'm sure the event will let me get a spray or a voiceline though

Ball's skin is a reward, so that is dope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I don't even know what my point is posting in here, as I haven't played overwatch in some time, due to it just feeling like every change kept making it worse and worse and worse for years and years. I just saw though someone mention the recent changes and had to look them up and... jesus christ all this regen given out like candy, loving dps passives to eliminate healing... what are they even doing? Its like they're trying to slow roll it into being call of duty or something.

God overwatch seems like a poor sick dog that should have been put down long ago but the owner just can't bare to do the humane thing so its sitting around in pain, making GBS threads all over the floor getting sicker and sicker and waiting to die a painful death.

Maybe I'm a grumpy old person complaining its not like it used to be, but when I used to play overwatch every day, the appeal was how good it felt being a kickass healer, synergizing with your team, coming in clutch and keeping everyone alive by the skin of your teeth, while everyone had to work together. Nothing else captured that excitement of a team really coming together with all their unique strengths and roles. Just reading these changes I don't even want to log in to try them out, it sounds like getting held down and spit in the mouth.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Guess i’m in the minority here. I haven’t played ow since Sigma was added in 1, but i reinstalled a few days ago and i’m having fun. All the changes seem good imho but then again i’m a dope who only does quickplay so i dont know nothin about balance

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Guess i’m in the minority here. I haven’t played ow since Sigma was added in 1, but i reinstalled a few days ago and i’m having fun. All the changes seem good imho but then again i’m a dope who only does quickplay so i dont know nothin about balance

I think you're the type of player they're aiming all of these changes at, tbh. It seems like they want a fun casual experience over any form of competitive experience.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I think you have to play to feel the full weight of the changes. The team really needs to work together now, moreso than any time in OW2, I think. The passive regen is very slow. It does not really replace health packs or healing unless you totally disengage from the fight for a pretty long time.

The extra health means less one shots and you really need to work together to bring enemies down. The larger hitboxes mean more shots are landing. I have poor mechanical skill but I can actually play as Ashe now, sometimes even dominating my Bronze 4 lobbies with her. I used to never be able to play heroes that needed aim. But players with good aim are hitting more shots too, so skill is still an advantage. The game became more accessible while at the same time it feels like the skill ceiling has gone up.

There are still loads of things wrong with this dumb game, but I personally feel this is the best it has felt since it became OW2. It's still super stompy either way which feels very bad, though.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

dogstile posted:

I think you're the type of player they're aiming all of these changes at, tbh

Oh boy!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I've adjusted to the changes, but mainly by not playing Ana, and also by accepting that counterswapping is a must, and without a good DPS we're going to lose and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Looks like there's some interesting changes coming soon though. Maybe Ana will be playable again with the dps passive nerf and the nade damage/healing buff :unsmith:

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

You’re supposed to counterswap aren’t you? I remember when the first game came out the devs were like “we want players to be counterswapping throughout the match to continually try and one up the competition”

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Lube Enthusiast posted:

You’re supposed to counterswap aren’t you? I remember when the first game came out the devs were like “we want players to be counterswapping throughout the match to continually try and one up the competition”

They've walked that back in their statements in the year or so before OW2 launched I think but 5v5 kind of cemented the counter swap meta across roles I think.

I still think ana is fine, I play her pretty reasonably at gold still and my support rank is sort of gently edging into plat for the first time ever but a huge part of it is making sure your tank has a realistic expectation of your newfound lack of healing carry capacity. When you can communicate clearly with your tank ana is still very good but if they're veering into suicidality you're better off just cutting your losses and switching to zen/Lucio/kiriko/lifeweaver. Most of my impact as ana has shifted from nade to sleepdart/dps/nano but imo that kind of started with kiriko and the dps passive changes just kind of cemented that change. I doubt they could shift it back with nade buffs now.

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 8, 2024

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Even with the ult changes, counterswapping is still the best way to make people on the other team have an unfun experience.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

dogstile posted:

I think you're the type of player they're aiming all of these changes at, tbh. It seems like they want a fun casual experience over any form of competitive experience.

Ironically, all these dog-poo poo changes make the casual modes even less fun because of match volatility and the attitude players have in general in non-comp mode games.

The design direction that has become clear to the players more and more over the years; they thought they ere getting a team shooter but ended up getting WoW arena with skillshots, essentially. They've also put more and more of their design eggs in this basket.

Meanwhile, the casual player who wants to play a shooter is increasingly more and more confused trying to play this game. They have to deal with bad matchmaking (to the extent that it is essentially non-existent in QP), counter-intuitive hero designs like Sombra, and Sym, a 5v5 team structure that is trying to cut a round pizza into 5 equal slices when the game was designed for it to be cut into 6, terrible maps and modes that are for some reason given priority and appear more frequently in games over the older maps that are actually LIKED.

All of those lead to volatile games which have a less-than-half chance of being fun, balanced games both teams enjoy and are more likely to either be stomps, or weird non-games where 1 or more people on each team are completely out of their element. Oh, and they also started stacking on additional penalties for people who would leave these (non-competitive mode) games to look for a different game with players a little more in-line with their expectations.

I wasn't kidding yesterday when I posted that "every game is a gamble as to if it will be a fun time, or time out", of the QP experience right now.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
People want to play what they like, which is usually a couple different characters for a given role. Most players don't have perfect coverage with their preferred heroes and forcing them to switch means they're not having fun. I think most people would also agree that you're better off playing what you know than playing the counter poorly as well. Losing ult charge when switching is just icing on the cake since it's punishing you for playing the way they want.

Overall I think the expectation that the player switches over the course of a match is unrealistic, and is actually used as a crutch to ignore hero specific balance issues. Heroes should be viable in every matchup - perfect balance is obviously impossible, but there should never be a situation where you feel useless. Paladins has locked character picks but manages quite well thanks to the talent/card system to lean into specific aspects of your character, and item buys for extra reactivity for how the match is progressing. Maybe if Blizzard didn't ignore PvE development for years they would have had enough material to copy some of that along with the HP/antiheal mechanics they're cribbing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

isndl posted:

I think most people would also agree that you're better off playing what you know than playing the counter poorly as well.

This was an argument in the competitive thread for the longest time and I think it took about a year of us posting "yes, you will lose playing what you don't know poorly but you should still do it because otherwise you'll never improve as a player" for people to kinda get it.

Like, I don't think heroes should be viable for every match up. Reaper countering Winston is fine, for example.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 8, 2024

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

as a Diamond support, it just feels like the "random tanks are feast or famine" problem at OW2's launch got notably worse with the big update. most of the matches I've had have been incredibly one-sided, and trying to pull together a team that's fallen apart seems harder than ever. it feels great when you have a tank that has half a brain to avoid getting immediately melted, but I could probably count on one hand the number of matches where both teams had a competent tank

and fwiw, queue times in ranked solo support queue jumped to nearly five minutes when I played the other day, when it's usually about a minute and a half. no bueno.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

isndl posted:

People want to play what they like, which is usually Widowmaker and Hanzo

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

dogstile posted:

This was an argument in the competitive thread for the longest time and I think it took about a year of us posting "yes, you will lose playing what you don't know poorly but you should still do it because otherwise you'll never improve as a player" for people to kinda get it.

Like, I don't think heroes should be viable for every match up. Reaper countering Winston is fine, for example.

Slightly different context there, I think: if you're playing to win the match you're currently in, you play what you know because that's your best performance. Your teammates obviously prefer that you're playing at your best. If you're looking to improve as a player to win more matches in the future then you should definitely get the practice in where it's appropriate. Quick Play? Nobody cares, go for it. Ranked where your supports are on strike? Might as well experiment. A miracle of an actually close ranked match? Go ahead and make that judgement call on where you are between zero and hero.

I think every character should have a reasonable chance of winning a 1v1 against every other character. Some can have an edge in a matchup over others, but hard counters are bad because once you introduce team compositions into the mix that one counter turns into multiple hard counters and you're just completely hosed. That's why tanking sucks, because too many characters are made to delete you in particular and you're supposed to just put up with that.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying tank this season. I don't feel like there's a LOT of hard counters I need to exploit or avoid at my ranks but having a tank roster roughly on parity of my own skill level on them minus roadhog and doom has really paid off a lot just in terms of making very bespoke map based starting choices (Ive become an ardent fan of the DVA boop on Rialto bridge) that slowly accrue value

Anecdotally, I think quick play is actually worse than ranked ATM in terms of consistency of player behaviour at least, I'm seeing quite a bit more bullshit than you'd expect even from qp and comp has been very chill and as respectful as an online game can hope to be

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying tank this season. I don't feel like there's a LOT of hard counters I need to exploit or avoid at my ranks but having a tank roster roughly on parity of my own skill level on them minus roadhog and doom has really paid off a lot just in terms of making very bespoke map based starting choices (Ive become an ardent fan of the DVA boop on Rialto bridge) that slowly accrue value

Anecdotally, I think quick play is actually worse than ranked ATM in terms of consistency of player behaviour at least, I'm seeing quite a bit more bullshit than you'd expect even from qp and comp has been very chill and as respectful as an online game can hope to be

qp feels like a complete random matchmaking shitfest. gm players in one game and silver/bronze/god forbid console in another

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

fact of the matter is if you want better matchmaking you're gonna need a bigger player base

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

They should make autoaim much much stronger if they actually want a wide player base because I will never fuckin queue console with a friend on PC ever again

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

isndl posted:

Slightly different context there, I think: if you're playing to win the match you're currently in, you play what you know because that's your best performance. Your teammates obviously prefer that you're playing at your best. If you're looking to improve as a player to win more matches in the future then you should definitely get the practice in where it's appropriate. Quick Play? Nobody cares, go for it. Ranked where your supports are on strike? Might as well experiment. A miracle of an actually close ranked match? Go ahead and make that judgement call on where you are between zero and hero.

I think regardless, ranked isn't a tournament setting and is better suited for trying to play seriously than quick play matches. QP matches has ton's of people goofing off, ranked people are actually trying.

But I also understand that teammates will also occasionally be doing that and that my view on this of a "play to improve yourself above all others" isn't what other people think you should do.

That being said, I started off this game being placed in plat in S1 (placed rank/level/rating 65 in S0) and after 10 seasons hit T500 every season up until the point where I quit playing ranked OW seriously to goof off in apex. The method works.

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery

Rawrbomb posted:

Ball's skin is a reward, so that is dope!

New thread title please.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I am only playing support this season and I think the changes are good. Overall, still not as fun as OW1, but better than last season. The biggest thing is that people "play right" and by that I mean avoid standing in a hail of bullets while support just blows all their cooldowns. The ones that don't adapt derank. This gives me more time to shoot at the enemy and play with my brain instead of just dumping heals out. It makes the decision of when and how to support much more interesting. I do think tanks need a little bit of love to be more self sufficient.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

BabyRyoga posted:

terrible maps and modes that are for some reason given priority and appear more frequently in games over the older maps that are actually LIKED.

Huh, I just assumed they seemed to be more frequent because I don't like them and therefore notice them.

100% agree with the whole post.

I wouldn't care that much if I could still play OW1, but taking that away was just a final steaming poo poo on top of all the other steaming shits.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Sloppy posted:

I wouldn't care that much if I could still play OW1, but taking that away was just a final steaming poo poo on top of all the other steaming shits.

I feel like if they let you still play OW1 some managers would have some awkward questions to answer why its player count is higher than the "new" game. Maybe thats my own admitted bias though.

I would kill for them bringing back OW1 as a sort of "WoW vanilla" thing in any event.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
OW is just a bad fit for 5v5 and I’ll die on this hill, the more players the better. I also think they should have gone to 1 support instead of 2.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Shoulda taken out a DPS (hahaha yeah right) since they're making everything homogenize towards DPS anyway.

I do find that after some team fights or failed flanks that I can get away from, I'll be heading towards a health pack and I won't have to pick it up because my passive healing (as DPS usually) just finished healing my ~50% or so missing hp. Yes, I've disengaged from the fight at this point but if I'm away from healers and had no passive healing and the health pack was on cooldown, then I could've been hunted down more easily...

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If they wanted to make it truly work as 5v5, they would need to redesign the whole game from the ground up instead of trying to rework it, IMO. Like I said, they tried to take a circular-shaped pizza and cut it into 5 even slices, rather than just rebaking a pizza in the shape of a rectangle. Maybe the latter was the original intent before all the problems at Blizz with personnel, toxic culture, and evil CEOs.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Zet posted:

Shoulda taken out a DPS (hahaha yeah right) since they're making everything homogenize towards DPS anyway.

Yeah, feels weird being in tank mode as Bastion and getting outgunned by a Mauga.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

Sloppy posted:

Yeah, feels weird being in tank mode as Bastion and getting outgunned by a Mauga.

God, that reminds me that I have to correct myself every time when I hear Mauga's going full blast cuz my brain thinks it's a Bastion at first.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

The form factor of hog and the sound of bastion. Really causes some confusion every time I forget he exists which is often.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

They should make autoaim much much stronger if they actually want a wide player base because I will never fuckin queue console with a friend on PC ever again
playstation gms 3-0'ed pc gms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk9ZInai3ls

there's a bunch of events organized like this that have gone either way, but ime players on both inputs tend to vastly underestimate how much rotational aim assist can buff hitscan aim until there's a bunch of cross-input experience.

i haven't tried the newest patches for hitbox changes, but for those unaware it was very very very very very difficult to aim at evasive targets on mouse as hitscan.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS480mqndzQ

Collab is actually cool. Game is still unfun at LEAST 50% of the time, prob more like 60%. I've been trying to actually grind this BP because it has some nice skins, and every game is a gamble as to if it will be a fun time, or time out.

Do most OW2 players even know what Cowboy Bebop is? It's a 25 y/o show, most of the players were probably not even born yet when it came out.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Jack Trades posted:

Do most OW2 players even know what Cowboy Bebop is? It's a 25 y/o show, most of the players were probably not even born yet when it came out.

Unless OW2 is different from other Blizzard games (and it might well be) I have a feeling you are underestimating the average age of the audience.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

maybe they watched the netflix adaptation and liked it

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

So what’s Liveweaver’s story? Gimme the lore & motivations of this fella

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Lube Enthusiast posted:

He's pansexual (blizzard have refused to answer my question as to whether other canonically bisexual heros like Moira are trans exclusionary by this taxonomy)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mind over Matter posted:

Unless OW2 is different from other Blizzard games (and it might well be) I have a feeling you are underestimating the average age of the audience.
overwatch had younger players when it first came out but it first came out nearly a decade ago, and i dont think teens are getting into it these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lube Enthusiast posted:

He's Thai, he's Pan, and you can loving deal with it you prude