Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
When are people gonna get it through their heads that bugs and bots are two ENTIRELY different metas? The exo suit goes through high tier bug operations like a hot knife through butter but it can't stand up to the entire map shooting at it in bot missions. In many ways its the inverse of the mortar sentry where it's suicide to use on bugs but shreds on bots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

yeah it sucks that the mechs can only kill 4 elites and a bunch of regular troops and can only be called down twice a mission. i've already switched back to the orbital laser for that sweet sweet possibility of killing one charger or maybe a bile titan twice a mission.

The laser sucks against bugs, that's your problem. It doesn't even target titans properly, it aims at the ground directly underneath them so if you're on the map edges it completely misses the body and only hits legs sometimes as it walks.

Also the mech really is disappointing against bots; it's too fragile to brawl, too awkward to use cover well and doesn't have enough firepower to justify itself.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

AnEdgelord posted:

When are people gonna get it through their heads that bugs and bots are two ENTIRELY different metas? The exo suit goes through high tier bug operations like a hot knife through butter but it can't stand up to the entire map shooting at it in bot missions. In many ways its the inverse of the mortar sentry where it's suicide to use on bugs but shreds on bots.
It's still useful in bot missions too since it has a lot of rockets and vulcan ammo, you just have to be careful about what angles you're exposed to.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

love it when you're down to your last reinforcements and you see the pubbie who died 10 times already peel off to go solo a large outpost by themselves

I have a name

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

flamethrower has been so reliable for use against chargers it's kinda become a staple in my kit. i can aim in the direction of a breach and i find myself worrying less and wondering more what crispy bug tastes like. probably a great source of protein!

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

also, now that I've had more time with the EAT, I think you can really feel the stealth buff. just feels a lot more reliable in stripping chargers and killing bile titans. as usual, EAT owns.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah I run EAT now instead of railgun

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Did they shrink the hitbox on beserkers or something? I get theyre up-armored melee units and dont get boxed in, but man they seem a lot tougher post patch.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Astrochicken posted:

flamethrower has been so reliable for use against chargers it's kinda become a staple in my kit. i can aim in the direction of a breach and i find myself worrying less and wondering more what crispy bug tastes like. probably a great source of protein!

wait until they release the mech with the hulk flamer :getin:

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

explosivo posted:

Are people beelining the main/sub objectives first before going around and mopping up factories and bug holes? We've always planned a route to do all of them at the same time because I figured more spawners would make doing the objectives harder. But we do also run into a lot of trouble on the way more often than not so I could see the benefit to just hoofing it straight to the objective (while taking out any in the immediate path) then if you have time going to do the rest.

Depends on your/your team's priorities. If clearing out the holes/factories lowers the enemy concentration, I haven't noticed. As for a "Priority Meta" for pick-up groups, there kind of isn't one. Just do whatever's fun.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZORE-wxQL18

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is there any way to reload the mech after it has fired the 12 rockets you get with it?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

is there any way to reload the mech after it has fired the 12 rockets you get with it?

Nope! Frankly there should be an auto-destruct option to prevent the perfidious enemy from getting their actuators/claws on it.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

hey mom its 420 posted:

also, now that I've had more time with the EAT, I think you can really feel the stealth buff. just feels a lot more reliable in stripping chargers and killing bile titans. as usual, EAT owns.

If you’re with a team that you can trust to lock in orbitals/eagles running GL+EAT+Jetpack owns

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Who wanted more melee options in helldivers?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJj_AdvneQI

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
I sure would like to be able to add my PS5 friends I convinced to buy the game to my friend list. Apparently it's borked in multiple ways other than that too. :(

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, my friend group is having the same problem and it's really dampening the newbies' excitement. Haven't seen any comments from Arrowhead about it yet and it's been like a week.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

LegionAreI posted:

I sure would like to be able to add my PS5 friends I convinced to buy the game to my friend list. Apparently it's borked in multiple ways other than that too. :(

100 percent this. We’re all on PS5s and can’t add each other as friends. We figured out we can join one of our games thru the PS5 home menu, but then our matchmaking has to be public. No one wants to hear us babble about our lives while we deliver democracy!!

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

LazyMaybe posted:

It's still useful in bot missions too since it has a lot of rockets and vulcan ammo, you just have to be careful about what angles you're exposed to.

I got some great use out of it in Bot Eradicate which normally wouldn't make sense due to the apocalyptic battle that tiny map is now but if you can manage to get in a quiet corner and get it called down it does some work against the giant clumps of enemies. Emptying the minigun for almost a solid minute taking out 40+ random devastators/shitbots/chainsaw bots and occasionally taking out a hulk or tank with rockets is pretty useful. You can burst fire the minigun to conserve the ammo too because its fairly accurate and you can aim in the delay while it spools up.

Sure you get loving owned if enemies get anywhere near you before the guns are ready or you run into too many heavy enemies too quickly and get shredded but it's not like turrets or airstrike slots are being used on things that are consistently more useful than that.

People seem to be comparing the worst experience with the mech to the wikipedia version of whatever they think is better. An orbital laser is useful and a turret can get a large amount of kills if used correctly. Both have more uses and smaller cooldowns. Except How many times do turrets get comically stomped, exploded, ran over or otherwise mysteriously vaporized.

Mortar turrets are amazing for kills but if a banana cream pie from a clown doesn't 1 shot it before it even aims it kills everyone because the maps are so dangerous you have to stay mobile.

Rectal Death Alert fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 9, 2024

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Let the mech throw stratagems, I don't want to have to pop out of my suit to reinforce the other dude in a suit who just exploded.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
A nice thing about the mech it seems not everyone has realized is that you can open up the map and just leave it open while still aiming/shooting as usual, for increased awareness of enemies.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Darox posted:

Let the mech throw stratagems, I don't want to have to pop out of my suit to reinforce the other dude in a suit who just exploded.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Is there a way to get hooked up with Goons and not pubbies?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Apart from the Eagle Airstrike, what are the most efficient 'chuck this at a bot factory and watch the factory vanish' stratagems, if I don't want to get close enough at the proper angle to grenade/autocannon the weak points? Been playing a few Blitz missions and want to know how to improve my efficiency.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
Did they turn on gently caress you mode or something? I'm watching groups of heavy robots just spawn in front of me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Darth Walrus posted:

Apart from the Eagle Airstrike, what are the most efficient 'chuck this at a bot factory and watch the factory vanish' stratagems, if I don't want to get close enough at the proper angle to grenade/autocannon the weak points? Been playing a few Blitz missions and want to know how to improve my efficiency.
Orbital laser will usually do it unless there's so many enemies that it winds up spending all its time shooting other stuff.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Lysandus posted:

Did they turn on gently caress you mode or something? I'm watching groups of heavy robots just spawn in front of me.

I'm wondering if they are dynamically increasing the difficulty of high pop/high liberation planets.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Darth Walrus posted:

With AC you can just aim for the metal "flap" above each grenade-dunk-hole of the bot factory, the shot will ricochet into the factory. You don't even have to get at a specific angle, if you can see the port and the flap you can delete the factory.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fishstick posted:

With AC you can just aim for the metal "flap" above each grenade-dunk-hole of the bot factory, the shot will ricochet into the factory. You don't even have to get at a specific angle, if you can see the port and the flap you can delete the factory.

Huh, I've tried this often, and didn't get a ricochet. Just a useless explosion.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Darth Walrus posted:

Stacking eagles benefits from the quick re-arm so I like 110mm rocket pods for that. 3 uses. It auto targets to "the largest enemy" and can consider bot factories and cannon turrets valid auto targets.

They do well against chargers and hulks but aren't perfect in accuracy or targeting.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
And for bug hole closures? I know autocannons have a much easier time against those, but it'd still be nice to know what other tools I have to close nests fast without running low on cannon/grenade ammo or having to risk my precious, shiny armour.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Durzel posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before but as of a recent patch I seemed to be being constantly auto switched to grenades, without wanting to be. If I throw a stratagem whilst wielding my primary weapon, I’ll be using grenades afterwards.

It doesn’t happen randomly - I.e. I don’t think it’s a problem with my joypad, it just seems to happen after certain actions.

I’m on PS5 if it matters. Anyone else experiencing this?

For me, this was because I had quick grenade mapped to L1/Left Bumper. Before the patch, calling up a strategem from holding L1 would ignore the quick grenade. Now for some dumb reason the quick grenade will also equip your grenade if it's set to this button and you hold the button for stratagems.

I had to swap quick grenade to Long Press R1 and then move the hold R1 chat functions off of that button.

From my memory of before the patch, the quick grenade button wouldn't do anything unless you were aiming. You could tap or hold L1 and nothing would happen. Now tapping your quick grenade button will throw a grenade even without aiming but it has introduced problems of having grenades equipped when you don't intend to.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Lysandus posted:

There's a notice in the orders that Automaton resistance has increased. Its not clear to me if this refers to the strategic level or in mission though.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
:mediocre: Gamer posting.

Flinching feels worse than ever combined with ""critical hits (headshots even to your rear end)""

Just a basic quick medium solo vs bots in the Enforcer armor, The fortified midway between medium and heavy suit.

Deaths 1-3: Trying to kill basic bots with the punisher shotgun always being thwarted by them shooting me 0.1 seconds before me, throwing off my shot, repeat until dead. (plenty of near things from sudden crit? Shots to my rear end while running for my lost autocannon). Lots of "I miss my defender/Shoulda brought the breaker" thoughts.

Death 4: oops a light sprinkle from a bot MG turret smaller than a stalwart can decide to be an instant kill sometimes now since the armor "fix"

Fortified still MVP: Did the change to ICBM danger zones increase the danger zone of munition stockpiles? Ragdolled from halfway across the base when I popped it with an autocannon to save time. Only lost half my health. Feels great to be alive!

Free bot (Own it, didn't slot it) at extraction was kinda fun, but the rockets loved zipping an inch past the side of walkers in spite of the crosshair (I was terrified of blowing myself up, guess which side they kept coming in from!), and it takes way too many minigun bullets to bust their legs to feel satisfying in a robots vs robots fight. No wonder people are chanting "Use it against bugs then idiot!"

I literally got out of the mech to kill walkers faster with the autocannon while still having half my minigun ammo left, that is a bad feeling :sigh: No wonder I don't solo suicide if I am this barely adequate.

(getting personal objective rewards, but the second campaign payment owed still feels like a no-show)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 9, 2024

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

hey mom its 420 posted:

If you look it up you can find some animations that are really easy to stick the charger with the eat call in as well so with a bit of luck you can take out three with one call in

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

This Exosuit is definitely armed more for bugs. The Autocannon variant that we'll eventually get will be much better against Bots I would assume (potential survivability issues aside).

Rockets+Minigun = Patriot Exosuit
Twin-barrel Autocannon x2 = Emancipator Exosuit.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 9, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

The mechs are traitors and see the bots as kindred spirits and refuse to kill their own kind

All right since steel versus steel doesn't really work all that well they should give us horses to fight the robots with

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Darth Walrus posted:

And for bug hole closures? I know autocannons have a much easier time against those, but it'd still be nice to know what other tools I have to close nests fast without running low on cannon/grenade ammo or having to risk my precious, shiny armour.

Airstrike is the better eagle for bug holes if you can walk it across multiple but I've found that hard to do sometimes. The results are mixed between 0 holes to 3 holes with the most likely outcome being 1. The terrain or angle can be off easily. 500kg might hit two if they are close enough together. Usually strategem are better for clearing the bigger bugs to get in grenade range or close it with a support weapon. I'd rather airstrike a charger than a bug hole for example.

The mech is too new for me to recommend as a good option as I haven't tested it on big bug maps but I can see it taking out most of a 10 hole nest by itself. Rockets will close the holes but I'm not sure how reliably and you'll need rockets for the defenders. The issue is mechs are a big Event based strategem and bug holes are just commonplace and everywhere which is why the things you carry with you like the autocannon or grenade launcher are more useful.

Also the drop pod from calling in a support weapon or backpack will close them if you hit them right. So they are as effective as an orbital precision strike at least.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Lysandus posted:

I been seeing a lot of this and I think the community needs to accept that this is what the game master angle means. Stealth changes to enemy ai, armor value, spawn rates, whatever. Cool to behold until it is frustrating to not be able to do what you could before and not really know why. Idk how to feel about it yet but i am definitely hooked (will for sure lead to brand new exciting frontiers in gamer toxicity!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Turin Turambar posted:

They could make a collaboration with games workshop, and give space marine skins for Hevy armor, a Dreadnaught skin for the mech, etc.

Hell they now even make similar collaborations with freaking Call of Duty
https://spikeybits.com/2024/03/new-call-of-duty-update-lets-you-play-as-a-space-marine.html
ork WAAAAGH faction when