Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

anakha posted:

I'm partial to those that watch party the Abema streams because there's nothing better than watching Wakanohana demonstrate the latest winning kimarite on his sumo partner/crash test dummy/poor SOB.
https://www.twitch.tv/midnightsumo/clip/VainAffluentSalmonWholeWheat-8eiSRU_2ur6xYvvj

Waka doing those demonstrations is one of the best parts of weekend Abema sumo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Yeah, midnightsumo is my go to. Plays the Abema stream from start to finish, and replays it all day during bashos. They also insert different commercials and cooking videos when Abema is showing the same 3 commercials over and over.*

The only things I dislike is that they won't show replays of potential injuries. Or rather, they cut away while Abema is replaying it over and over. And the chat can be annoying, but that's just Twitch so it's whatever.

*Edit to add - This is how I learned about the Tommy Lee Jones commercials for Boss Coffee, as well as the full Long Long Man Saga. And my life is richer for it.

Paying2Lurk fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 9, 2024

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Y/O:
Terunofuji
Kirishima
Kotonowaka

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Nishikigi
Abi

M1-5:
Onosato
Atamifuji
Asanoyama

M6-10:
Gonoyama
Kotoshoho
Takayasu

M11+:
Takerufuji
Ichiyamamoto
Ryuden

Juryo:
Wakatakakage
Hakuoho
Takarafuji

mawashi: purple on yellow

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Shiroc posted:

It's entirely possible for Hakuho to be the greatest athlete in a sport but a huge, colossal shithead at the same time. Hokuseiho was his recruit. They'd been together in the heya for years. I assume Hakuho's influence there was overwhelming even when he wasn't the official leader. The association knows him better than anyone else. It feels entirely likely that their resistance to him becoming the stablemaster was grounded in a total lack of confidence that he could do it, which was immediately proven right! Hakuho loving sucks as a stablemaster!

I really think that people in this thread want to let too much from him slide because they liked his wrestling.

Yeah I agree pretty much.
I also wouldn't be surprised if there is more bad stuff we aren't hearing about and they don't want aired.

It still sucks though and hurts my enthusiasm for sumo in general but I'll get over it

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

One thing about hakuho, and miyagino under him, was extremely savvy marketing. So much so that you still have people who vibe with their "bring modern methods into sumo" thing even as it turns out that basically amounted to maybe some light sports science, please disregard hokuseiho blowing fire at people in the background

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
Yeah I'm not too sure about the conclusions everyone draws from a number of things, Hakuho's dad was literally an Olympic wrestler, I'm not so sure how much of Hakuho's success comes from the stable he happened to end up in, or it's training methods.

You hear the new oyakata (miyagino, nishonoseki, ajigawa, to some extent even Naruto) talk about wanting to modernize training and all that, I think all they really mean is bring in like weightlifting and such, but we assume they mean stepping away from the hierarchical system inside stables.

Of course being a walking 2 meter cartoon character with a lighter and a spray can goes above and beyond the usual stable life stuff and I bet Hokuseiho did that poo poo all through highschool, but Hakuho had plenty of time to help him change things around if he wanted to.

I think at this point Hakuho has his hand in too many pies and the NSK know it, I don't think he has time (also maybe not the capability at all) to essentially parent someone like Hokuseiho while also being involved with Hakuho Cup and Dreamgirls and whatever other stuff he runs.

It is maybe better this way, Hakuho brings way more to Sumo than "Miyagino" can and perhaps taking away the stable entirely and just letting him focus on all the general Sumo promotion stuff is best for everyone involved.

Brut fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 9, 2024

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing
Basho time!

Y/O:
Kirishima
Kotonowaka
Terunofuji

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho
Abi

M1-5:
Midorifuji
Atamifuji
Tobizaru

M6-10:
Gonoyama
Kotoshoho
Onosho

M11+:
Shimazuumi
Shonannoumi
Takerufuji

Juryo:
Hakuoho
Wakatakakage
Tokihayate

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Y/O:
Terunofuji
Kirishima
Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Nishikigi
Daieisho

M1-5:
Atamifuji
Midorifuji
Oho

M6-10:
Hokutofuji
Gonoyama
Kinbozan

M11+:
Takerufuji
Roga
Daiamami

Juryo:
Wakatakakage
Asakoryu
Tsushimanada

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:
Woop woop!

Y/O
Hoshoryu
Kirishima
Terunofuji

S/K
Daieisho
Wakamotoharu
Abi

M1-5
Asanoyama
Tobizaru
Ura

M6-10
Hokutofuji
Kinbozan
Takayasu

M11+
Takerufuji
Ichiyamamoto
Kitanowaka

Juryo
Wakatakakage
Hakuoho
Shishi

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
If every instinct I have for drafting is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right...

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K:
Daieisho
Nishikigi
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Atamifuji
Asanoyama
Onosato

M6-10:
Tamawashi
Hokutofuji
Takayasu

M11+:
Endo
Sadanoumi
Ryuden

Juryo:
Wakatakakage
Kotoeko
Hakuyozan

Thanks Kenning and Banana Canada!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Paying2Lurk posted:

Yeah, midnightsumo is my go to. Plays the Abema stream from start to finish, and replays it all day during bashos. They also insert different commercials and cooking videos when Abema is showing the same 3 commercials over and over.*

*Edit to add - This is how I learned about the Tommy Lee Jones commercials for Boss Coffee, as well as the full Long Long Man Saga. And my life is richer for it.
As much as I find the full rigmarole of makunouchi a hassle and a half (read: boring as gently caress) after becoming spoiled by NHK's highlights over the past seven years or so, I agree that the plus-alpha that MidnightSumo offers can make the experience a little less painful, whether it's the commercials, the sound effects (the "Jeopardy!" theme during a monoii or a bowling-ball-striking-pins SFX for a rikishi taking out a judge), or the assortment of casual/candid rikishi photos before a stream.

eta: And you can turn off the chat.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
The first 3 hours or so of each day make for good background noise. I like the mostly empty arena vibes. And the yobis, gyoji and PA announcer all doing things in their specific rhythm make it kind of meditative. I keep it on while doing mundane work tasks or playing a game.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Paying2Lurk posted:

The first 3 hours or so of each day make for good background noise. I like the mostly empty arena vibes. And the yobis, gyoji and PA announcer all doing things in their specific rhythm make it kind of meditative. I keep it on while doing mundane work tasks or playing a game.

I know what you mean, I've been playing Balatro with sumo on the other screen and they work well together

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmOOxXYb9W0

This is a kind of interesting watch. Starts out just looking like a bunch of other videos I've seen of training sessions, but you slowly start to see faces you recognize.

Eventually there's an impromptu Kotonawaka/Kirishima set of matches. Preview of coming attractions I think.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Y/O:
Kirishima
Terunofuji
Kotonowaka

S/K:
Daieisho
Wakamotoharu
Nishikigi

M1-5:
Onosato
Asanoyama
Atamifuji

M6-10:
Takayasu
Gonoyama
Tamawashi

M11+:
Takerufuji
Ryuden
Myogiryu

Juryo:
Hakuoho
Wakatakakage
Oshoumi

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

oh poo poo better get my picks in befor juryo starts

Y/O:
Kirishima
Terunofuji
Kotonowaka

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho
Abi

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Onosato
Meisei

M6-10:
Gonoyama
Takayasu
Tamawashi

M11+:
Takerufuji
Ryuden
Roga

Juryo:
Hakuoho
Wakatakakage
Oshoumi

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Paying2Lurk posted:

big same, i love the steady rhythm of all the various sounds from the yobidashi and the gyoji and the announcer. it's very relaxing and comforting to me

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Y/O:
Kirishima
Kotonowaka
Hoshoryu

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho
Nishikigi

M1-5:
Atamifuji
Tobizaru
Midorifuji

M6-10:
Takayasu
Hokutofuji
Gonoyama

M11+:
Ichiyamamoto
Sadanoumi
Takerufuji

Juryo:
Kotoeko
Aoiyama
Tomokaze

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Oh god I haven't posted my picks yet

Y/O:
Kotonowaka
Terunofuji
Hoshoryu

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho
Nishikigi

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Atamifuji
Onosato

M6-10:
Gonoyama
Tamawashi
Onosho

M11+:
Takerufuji
Endo
Kitanowaka

Juryo:
Wakatakakage
Hakuoho
Tomokaze

Draft tomorrow.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Oh right the draft is closed!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Is there a draft for people who just want everyone except Ryuden to have a good time?

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

NISHIKIGI STRONK

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

FART BOSS posted:

NISHIKIGI STRONK

:hmmyes: Terunofuji vs Nishikigi: When Nishikigi managed to fight him off at the tawara you could see the Terunofuji turn the intensity way down and looked like he was trying to keep himself safe more than anything. Between not having the power to get someone out in one of his strongest positions and the reports that he was still feeling wrecked from January's efforts I wonder if we're gonna see an early kyujo.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Day one: Chaos basho, this early?

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Day one: Chaos basho, this early?

That'd be great. Hearing the crowd go absolutely mental for Ura beating Hoshoryu made me hope for a real cindarella run for the hometown(-ish?) hero

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Vargatron posted:

I'm actually really invested in how rikishi from Futagoyama-beya do this basho since I've watched so many of their cooking videos. Nabatame could make Juryo this tournament if he posts a good score at Makushita 5.

https://www.youtube.com/@TechJapanology reuploads videos of the Futagoyama rikishi bouts each day, within a few hours of the day ending.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

Kenning posted:

Oh right the draft is closed!

nooooooooo I just came back from overseas and have been completely out of it and forgot to sign up :negative:

I'll just have to cheer for everyone I guess.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just sign up :) At worst you’ll forfeit the first day unless the cutoff enforcement has been severely tightened up lately

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Taffy Torpedo posted:

nooooooooo I just came back from overseas and have been completely out of it and forgot to sign up :negative:

Submit something and just consider Day 1 as your kyujo

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Taffy Torpedo posted:

Absolutely submit something. Even if you get no points for day 1, there's still 2 weeks worth to go!

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

There's never been a prohibition against late entry and there was one goon who did so last basho, simply forfeiting the first day's matches. And Kenning probably won't mind much since he hasn't run the draft yet.

My tracker will be posted once the draft and goonzuke is up.

Kenning - one rule clarification I thought of when making some adjustments to my tracker - does a Juryo KK count towards the KK tiebreaker? I think you meant for it not to be but perhaps it could make things interesting if it counted as 1/4th of a KK (since makuuchi KKs are worth 2 points to juryo's half-point).

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Initially I was thinking it was a tough day 1 draw for my boy Ura but he proved me wrong. Hell yeah

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the pokeball gyoji robe actually has pikachus on it :aaaaa:

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Ok gonna submit and take the day 1 kyujo if Kenning allows.

Y/O:
Kotonowaka
Takakeisho
Terunofuji

S/K:
Abi
Daieisho
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Hirdoumi
Onosato
Atamifuji

M6-10:
Gonoyama
Takayasu
Tsurugisho

M11+:
Takerufuji
Shimazuumi
Ichiyamamoto

Juryo:
Wakatakakage
Takarafuji
Tohakuryu

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Hirayuki posted:

eta: And you can turn off the chat.

I would say one thing that's super valuable about Midnight is that they post the names and summaries of each wrestler in the lower brackets. It's only 1-2 sentences for each but it's still really nice of them to put together a fact sheet for random Sandanme #1234. It'll be a pity when it finally gets DMCA'd, since Midnight has legit put a lot of work into making the sport approachable.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Yeah, when I say the chat there can get annoying it's far from the usual Twitch chat dumb stuff. Just people getting a little too weird / precious about some of the rikishi and stuff like that. Overall it's very good and dumb Twitch antics get shut down quickly.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Paying2Lurk posted:

Yeah, when I say the chat there can get annoying it's far from the usual Twitch chat dumb stuff. Just people getting a little too weird / precious about some of the rikishi and stuff like that. Overall it's very good and dumb Twitch antics get shut down quickly.

Yeah the only thing that makes me really wince is the Chiyomaru copypasta. Poor dude.

Last night was interesting, felt like a lot of the pusher-thrusters were slower off the jump than they usually are at the start of a tournament.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

wodin posted:

It'll be a pity when it finally gets DMCA'd, since Midnight has legit put a lot of work into making the sport approachable.

why'd you have to jinx it lmao

got taken down again like 10 minutes ago :negative:

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Kerrzhe posted:

why'd you have to jinx it lmao

got taken down again like 10 minutes ago :negative:

oh god I'm sorry I figured they were well past that since it'd been around forever and Abema doesn't seem to give a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

wodin posted:

oh god I'm sorry I figured they were well past that since it'd been around forever and Abema doesn't seem to give a poo poo

nah its definitely not Abema, it's either the commercials they play off youtube (like nintendo last time) or someone with a grudge for getting banned reported them and twitch's automatic system gets set off