Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Giving Big Tablesaw the ol’ intact middle finger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Scratch Monkey posted:

https://i.imgur.com/Ut3w1G5.mp4

Who put this dead woman on a skateboard?
Back when she was alive:
https://i.imgur.com/OzXJ393.mp4

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Atticus_1354 posted:

How was he selfish? He tried to sell the technology and the big companies said no. He offered to license it for 3% of wholesale and they said no. Then when he built his own company and produced quality saws with his technology the big companies got mad and tried to get the US government to force him to give up his patent.

Because even 3% of that market is a disgustingly huge amount for one person to accumulate? He sucks less than those companies but now he IS those companies and that's still bad.

Everyone sucks to differing degrees here.

Please try to read and comprehend my posts where I identify the real villain.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

ReelBigLizard posted:

Because even 3% of that market is a disgustingly huge amount for one person to accumulate? He sucks less than those companies but now he IS those companies and that's still bad.

Nah. 3% is a bargain, when it would be the #1 selling point of the machine over other ones without it.
Also getting rich, because you personally develop something that makes general well being of people better is IMHO pretty kosher reason to get rich.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

ReelBigLizard posted:

So you're just mad that this guy wanted to get paid for all the R&D he did and he's the bad guy for his selfish demands and not the much larger companies who could (and some did) have done their own R&D to make a safer product. Your everyone sucks argument definitely sucks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Recycling

https://i.imgur.com/qbaoe1r.mp4

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Atticus_1354 posted:

So you're just mad that this guy wanted to get paid for all the R&D he did and he's the bad guy for his selfish demands and not the much larger companies who could (and some did) have done their own R&D to make a safer product. Your everyone sucks argument definitely sucks.

Sure if you put words in my mouth I'm a loving monster.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Internet OSHA warning: Flame War zone.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Watching this made my lungs ache

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Vampire Panties posted:

Whats the most OSHA thing you saw while working on boats

I'll have to think about the most OSHA (or coastgaurd) thing, but one that comes immediately to mind is when I was working on a ~200 passenger ferry boat that went to coastal islands. We got caught in extremely rough weather and every time we went over a wave there was a "clunk" sound coming from the front compartment where we stored the food and whatnot. I went down there and the boat had a concrete slab poured on the floor for ballast; every time we went over a wave this entire concrete slab would lift an inch and crash back down again. I noped the gently caress out of there ASAP.

We also had a captain who was afraid of the fog and wouldn't navigate using the radar. The guy was a real antisemitic piece of poo poo who i hated working with, but i always got paired with him because he'd make me drive the boat in dense fog since i know how a loving radar works.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Science has an article about this and other criticality incidents and close calls.

The author repeats least one factual error though.

The heating of the hemispheres halted the reaction within a fraction of a second.

Well that was scary as all hell. I like the part where all 11 of the good highly intelligent employees that made up the safety committee all quit because of the awful management that cared more about profit and executive bonuses instead of the workers lives.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Watching this made my lungs ache

Everyones heard about microplastics
Nanoplastics? Ancient history

How about some macroplastics

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Taylor Swift died?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

bird with big dick posted:

I saw a drunk captain repeatedly trying and failing to run a fish through the crab pot puller pulleys trying to get them to squish the fish and then run over his own fishing gear three different times so that he no longer had enough equipment to actually fish so he drove to the docks and spotted the boat of a guy he worked with parked so he broke into it and stole all the fishing gear and we went back out fishing. Caught a lot of halibut and salmon that day if I recall correctly.

Did this happen in Homer AK? being super drunk and fishing for halibut/salmon sounds extremely Alaskan

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Close: Juneau.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Anyone who gets paid for anything deserves to get their head chopped off.
Everything should be free. Everyone should work but not get paid because that makes you rich.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

ReelBigLizard posted:

And the 97%?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

wesleywillis posted:

Anyone who gets paid for anything deserves to get their head chopped off.
Everything should be free. Everyone should work but not get paid because that makes you rich.

Just kill everyone who has more money than me IMO

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

Just kill everyone who has more money than me IMO

Also everyone who has less money than me, they are lazy freeloaders

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/0LksdKx.mp4

injuries but no deaths

roadside work is so unnecessarily terrifying

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

LookieLoo posted:

And the 97%?

Ah yes I forgot only one thing can be bad at a time.

Really didn't think "Gatekeeping critical safety equipment as an infinite money hack is bad" was going to be such a hard sell in the Maybe Your Job Shouldn't Kill You Megathread but we live and learn.

Anyway I just got off a flight and it was a relief to not see the Boeing logo for once.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

on the completely opposite end of the spectrum of traffic-related content

https://i.imgur.com/P5ECB1V.mp4

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kith posted:

on the completely opposite end of the spectrum of traffic-related content

https://i.imgur.com/P5ECB1V.mp4

This cuts just before the cat decides to turn back.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I think all table saws should have the not cut your fingers off technology.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Patents only last 17 years, getting a 3% cut for that duration is hardly infinite money

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/0LksdKx.mp4

injuries but no deaths

roadside work is so unnecessarily terrifying

I legit hate dumptruck drivers, they drive like psychos and have extreme mass so they're just a danger to everyone.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Tunicate posted:

Patents only last 17 years, getting a 3% cut for that duration is hardly infinite money

Ok let's address that number since you're stuck on it. Goons went over this in the woodworking thread in like 2011 I forget.

It was 3% minimum for Ryobi going up to 8% depending on how many others licensed it. Gass wanted to raise the renumeration the more saws were licensed. Gass was a patent lawyer by profession, not a woodworker or an engineer.

Ryobi let the deal die.

Gass then started backing lawsuits for people who were injured by Ryobi saws. They were suing Ryobi for Not Taking His Deal, arguing that they were negligent for not paying up.

The tool manufacturers estimated his demand would add at least 100 dollars to the cost base of every saw on the market before even adding the hardware cost.

There's more if you want it

e: found the old article on Fine Woodworking which I think sparked the convo back then
https://www.finewoodworking.com/2011/11/29/the-story-behind-the-governments-pending-tablesaw-ruling

E2: and the goon discussion
The Woodworking Thread circa Dec 2011

Yours,

A woodworking ADHD goon on a T break.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 9, 2024

I.G.
Oct 10, 2000

All that stuff just makes me like him more. Anything a lone inventor comes up with would be a no-brainer to develop internally at any of the big tool companies. But they don't want any innovation that might disrupt the market, they just want to rake in cash for doing the same thing.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Nice cope but you didn't read the article

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That's what I say when someone joins to pieces of moulding really well.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I edited out a kickback pun in the big post because I thought it detracted. Let me have this one

I.G.
Oct 10, 2000

Did you read it? It agrees with what I said

quote:

However, the number of tablesaw accidents is staggering, averaging 36,400 a year (from 2001 to 2008), according to statistics compiled by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).

The CPSC had been looking at the incidents of tablesaw injuries since the early 1990s. Alarmed by the numbers, the agency presented injury data to tablesaw manufacturers and
Underwriters Laboratory (UL) in 1998, hoping they would update the voluntary safety standards (UL 987) to reduce the number of injuries.

To respond to the CPSC concerns, the PTI implemented a training program, utilizing primarily videos distributed to shop classes and woodworking seminars about how to use tablesaws safely.
i.e. power tool companies know there's a problem and choose to do nothing. if they don't want to pay royalties they could have chosen to develop similar technology themselves. boo hoo

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

I.G. posted:

Did you read it? It agrees with what I said

i.e. power tool companies know there's a problem and choose to do nothing. if they don't want to pay royalties they could have chosen to develop similar technology themselves. boo hoo

I did. They did. Bosch developed a system that was potentially even better (didn't even need contact) only 2 years later but patent lawyer's patents were so broad that the US courts sided with the patent lawyer against the Big Evil Corporate [checks notes] charity owned German toolmaking concern...

the drat article posted:

David Peot, former director of advanced technology for Ryobi, testified that such cooperation among PTI members was unprecedented. “The people who belong to the Power Tool Institute are very fierce competitors. Never in my 30, 35 years of working with [them] had I ever been exposed to something where they said ‘let’s get together and develop something.’ ”

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 9, 2024

I.G.
Oct 10, 2000

2 years later is 2 years too late. They could have easily developed the same thing many years earlier, but didn't because they don't want to risk disrupting the industry. Then Sawstop comes along and this is their reaction. Having to pay royalties is just the price they pay for sitting on their asses when everyone is fully aware of the problem. Now the best they can do is bitch about it and hope to convince people like you that they're the real victims.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
smh I can’t believe that someone would criticize the great Swedish charity IKEA.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Lol someone has been sold a story of woe here and it's not me. Riddle me this, I'd Gass is such a hero why won't he let any be exported to the rest of the world? Doesn't sound very humanitarian.

To be clear I think it's an awesome product and I believe Americans when they review them favourably but this guy is a scumbag lawyer who had one good idea.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Oh my God shut up. If I could go back and kill the SawStop guy in his crib knowing that every woodworker in the world would lose their hands, it would be worth it to stop this limp-dick flame war.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Well, that haunting.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Goons don't believe in intellectual property, or property, or intellect.

I got the Jobsite SawStop off Craigslist for $600 cash and the thing is mint condition and the highest quality and most precise tool I've ever owned for sure. lol at acting like it's some unobtanium. Every Makerspace I've been to at has them as well for all their table saws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Well, that haunting.

its the burning plastic to get the other plastic hot enough to melt that is :discourse:

Like watching cancer in real time