Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Larryb posted:

Sounds good enough for me. Do we know if having the demo will unlock anything in the full game?

Not that I'm aware of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Even if your save file doesn't transfer from the demo to the full game I wouldn't worry about that, the demo is very brief

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
For all of the SMT fans, the SMT V: Vengeance is now on preorder, physical with a steel book or not, digital and digital deluxe. It's on, to quote a website:

quote:

PlayStation 5, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows, Xbox One, Xbox Series X and Series S

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah, Princess Peach surprised me. Early first stage it seemed like "oh, this is a press B to win game huh" and guessed it would be charming but easy, but then I saw how you have to fight doing dodges/parries (albeit a child friendly version in that both buttons work) and then saw that the next stage was actually decent minigames and went "huh, so it has variety" and then the trailer showed all the multiple game modes and now it does seem pretty good! Albeit in a "get at 40 bucks" good for me, though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

did Peach get recast or something? her voice sounds a lot deeper than usual.

e: google says it's the same voice actress so maybe they just directed her to speak in a more natural voice

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
She been smoking that kind

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Oscar Wild posted:

She been smoking that kind

Okay, now I'm buying this game day one

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Rumors of Lego Mario

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

WHY BONER NOW posted:

There are two stages available, which you must do in order: swordfighter and pasty chef

Buddy lemme tell you I can doubtless do pasty chef first

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Soul Dentist posted:

Buddy lemme tell you I can doubtless do pasty chef first

Oh drat really? I thought you had to do swordfighter first, that's cool

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
goddamn stupid pegi not letting me, an australian, buy balatro

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Non Compos Mentis posted:

goddamn stupid pegi not letting me, an australian, buy balatro

shh! they'll hear :ohdear:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I’m really enjoying the gameplay of the new Shiren, but I’m kind of sad that it’s pretty ugly in comparison to the last one.

Sally posted:

scored a deal on Live A Live. tried the OG SNES version ages ago but kept bouncing off it. really loving this one though. this is my first 2D/HD game and i am really really diggibg this aesthetic.

did Wild West and most of Prehistory on SNES version so i started with Imperial China to start. solid into to gameplay mechanics i think. simple plot but execution was nice.

did Distant Future next. maaaan though it was just a pastice of Alien and 2001: A Space Odyssey i loving loved it. least combat so far. basically a walking sim... but the dread was palpable. wandering the ship trying to dodge the alien spooked me haha.

did Present Day afterwards. felt like a huge wet fart in comparison. glad i didnt start with this one! all combat. minimal narrative. i wish there were interludes between battles where you qandered around and talked to people... or something. this one didnt do it for me but it was here where i realized the villain of each era has the same name... i am guessing there is a reincarnation thing going on. the protagonists are probably reincarnations of each other and it is good v evil fighting each other acroas time.

i can dig it.

gonna do Wild West tonight cause i know it's p short.

enjoying this a lot overall. play the Live A Live remaster if you havent! such a charming and unique RPG experience.

Hell yeah, hope you keep enjoying it! I played it for the first time last year and really loved my time with it. It’s like the definitely of the sum being greater than each individual part. Some stuff isn’t great, some stuff is amazing, but through it all you can really see that they were trying some dope rear end poo poo for the time it was originally released.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I have two questions, do you really have to pay Nintendo money to be allowed to play with other people online? What absolute bullshit if so, glad I got my PC.

Second question, is there someplace I can get Super Smash Bros explained to me? Because there doesn’t seem to be a tutorial and everything is happening everywhere all at once. I’m just so confused and there doesn’t seem to be any causal connection between me sometimes smashing my opponent into the stratosphere or just giving them a little push…

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

zokie posted:

I have two questions, do you really have to pay Nintendo money to be allowed to play with other people online? What absolute bullshit if so, glad I got my PC.

Second question, is there someplace I can get Super Smash Bros explained to me? Because there doesn’t seem to be a tutorial and everything is happening everywhere all at once. I’m just so confused and there doesn’t seem to be any causal connection between me sometimes smashing my opponent into the stratosphere or just giving them a little push…

Scrub.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

wow never thought id say this, but seems to be a skill issue

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's three kinds of normal attacks. Neutral, directional, and smash. The first two are self explanatory. The third is it you rapidly press the analog stick in a direction(smashing it) with the normal attack button at the same time.

There are five aerial attacks. Neutral, forward, back, up, and down.

There is a running attack.

There is a block button.

If you smash your control stick while blocking you will dodge in that direction (left, right, or standing still for up or down).

If you press the block button in midair you will perform an aerial dodge. You can press a direction with this to change your trajectory.

If you press attack and block you will perform a grab. Here you can hit your opponent with a series of neutral attacks before they break out of your grab, or you can, and press a direction to throw them in that direction. Some character grab attacks are slightly ranged, and some have a grapple effect that can also grab ledges.

There is a special attack button with four attacks. Neutral, forward, up, and down.

Almost all characters can jump once from the ground, once from mid air, and then the up special attack will further increase height and distance. Some characters such as ones that fly in their games have multiple jumps. Sometimes a character's side special attack is more appropriate for aerial recovery.

If you repetitively use the same attack over and over its effectiveness will decrease.

Many character special attacks have special rules that involve mechanics close to their own games. For example with Ryu or Ken their special attacks can be performed with the same button combination as their original game. Some characters you may be expected to hold the special attack button and influence the direction with the analog stick.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

zokie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3OcXuwN6nw

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 10, 2024

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

All that and you didn’t explain the point of the game even if you got the controls.

It’s a “platform” fighter. Instead of needing to decrease a life bar you need to increase a percentage, which when sufficiently high enough allows you to hit enemies harder and further away from the platform. Once they can’t return they die gaining you a point, or losing a life, depending on the game mode.

Smash Ultimate is fairly fast paced and you can launch people pretty far at low percentages 60-70% depending on the strength of the attacker and relative weight of the defender. Depending on who you chose to play as/against it can change radically. Mario Would be considered average in that regard and from my memory, smaller characters make up the majority of the cast.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

zokie posted:

hey nintendo thread i don't understand this basic children's game

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Some small announcements for MAR10.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1766811785737429250

• Thousand Year Door Remake lands May 23.
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 HD lands June 27.
  • Dr. Mario, Mario Golf and Mario Tennis land in the Game Boy Switch Online app on Tuesday.
  • The sequel to the Mario movie is scheduled for April 3rd 2026, with animation work beginning soon.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

An Actual Princess posted:

hey nintendo thread i don't understand this basic children's game

But I'm going to mention how I have a PC to show everyone I'm very smart.

Anyway you play Smash Bros by smashing buttons with your bros, preferably while drunk.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't know why everybody is being a dick to that guy. Smash Bros plays very differently from most fighting games

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
But it also has a tutorial

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Kins posted:

Some small announcements for MAR10.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1766811785737429250

• Thousand Year Door Remake lands May 23.
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 HD lands June 27.
  • Dr. Mario, Mario Golf and Mario Tennis land in the Game Boy Switch Online app on Tuesday.
  • The sequel to the Mario movie is scheduled for April 3rd 2026, with animation work beginning soon.

I hear they're gonna call it Doki Doki Panic in Japan

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

The Kins posted:

Dr. Mario on the game boy is pretty bad (for a Dr. Mario game) and rather infamously has a crash bug on later (post-20) levels. There's only one guy I know who plays it over any other version, I'm glad he's finally getting some rep :unsmith:

The GBC Mario sports games are also real loving good. Wonder if there's any tie-in with the N64 version, since you could transfer characters around.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I don't know why everybody is being a dick to that guy. Smash Bros plays very differently from most fighting games

When you come into a thread going "lol you people pay Nintendo for online? what losers this is why I play games on a PC" you're not setting yourself up for a charitable reception.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I pay Nintendo for online

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.
I pay Nintendo so I can play my pc games online, just in case.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The very first thing you see when you boot up the game is a tutorial explaining all the mechanics.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

zokie posted:

you use your chad PC gamer gigabrain to mash buttons like everyone else did as a child until you figure out higher number = better KO chance

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

wizard2 posted:

I pay Nintendo for online

Why

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

to play online. keep up

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Sorry only one question allowed in the Switch thread

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

supporting the devs

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

symbolic posted:

you use your chad PC gamer gigabrain to mash buttons like everyone else did as a child until you figure out higher number = better KO chance

This is how I play smash

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I just forget I am subscribed and when the auto renew hits its for so little I can't rouse myself to care. Maybe this is the year I actually play a switch game online?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

gotta catch em all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
which you cant even do anymore because of freaking #DEXIT :negative: :negative: :negative: :britain: