Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Slavvy posted:

My favorite scene in any of these is when a lady nurse bravely goes out into no man's land after a stalled attack to treat the wounded despite the dashing handsome sergeant telling her not to. A wily German squad start closing in on her, repeatedly crouch-strafing around to dodge the sergeant's hmg fire in an open field. Eventually this spurs the whole company to restart the assault and carry the day with terrible casualties. The brave sergeant runs over to the nurse, turns her over, the music swells, their eyes meet, and he backhands her in the face and tells her those men are dead because of her.

See this is what is missing in strategy & wargames imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

My favorite scene in any of these is when a lady nurse bravely goes out into no man's land after a stalled attack to treat the wounded despite the dashing handsome sergeant telling her not to. A wily German squad start closing in on her, repeatedly crouch-strafing around to dodge the sergeant's hmg fire in an open field. Eventually this spurs the whole company to restart the assault and carry the day with terrible casualties. The brave sergeant runs over to the nurse, turns her over, the music swells, their eyes meet, and he backhands her in the face and tells her those men are dead because of her.

dudes rock

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Slavvy posted:

lmao

the best 'error' in A Bridge Too Far is that, because the filmmakers thought it made for a better, more dramatic angle, the Americans paddle across the river at Nijmegen going the wrong way. they assault the end of the bridge that they already hold because the historically German-held end was thought as too dull for the setpiece

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Mister Bates posted:

believe it or not that director's other Civil War films are even worse about that, Gettysburg is the least reactionary of his output

Gods and Generals is pretty overt white nationalist propaganda that almost completely drops any pretext of a balanced portrayal in favor of casting the Confederates as the heroic protagonists of the war and the Union as sympathetic misguided villains

The battle scenes are on about the same quality level as Gettysburg's (bad - this may be sacrilege but I don't think watching what amounts to home movies of a Civil War reenactment is all that interesting) and everything surrounding them is way worse. You can't even really watch the movie as an entertaining exercise in mockery, because it's also about four years long and most of it is just boring instead of funny

as a kid I watched the pickett's charge scene countless times cuz "holy poo poo the confederates getting blown up look cool"

I tried re-wtaching it and it just struck me how -bloodless- the whole thing was. Like for example in actual accounts of civil war when a regiment gets shelled you had incredibly horrifying things like men blown apart and limbs flying everywhere. Men and horses would be disembowel and it was a like a slaughterhouse.

quote:

Pvt. John H. Worsham of the 21st Virginia Infantry described in his diary seeing the effects of a solid shot that descended into a line of men:

I heard a thud on my right, as if one had been struck with a heavy fist. Looking around, I saw a man at my side standing erect, with his head off, a stream of blood spurting a foot or more from his neck. As I turned farther around, I saw three others lying on the ground, all killed by this cannon shot. The man standing was a captain . . . and his brains and blood bespattered the face and clothing of one in my company. This was the second time I saw four men killed by one shot. Each time the shot struck as it was descending—the first man had his head taken off, the next was shot through the breast, the next through the stomach, and the fourth had all his bowels torn out.

In the movie it just look like artillery rounds blew ppl out of the way slightly when it exploded

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Typo posted:

as a kid I watched the pickett's charge scene countless times cuz "holy poo poo the confederates getting blown up look cool"

I tried re-wtaching it and it just struck me how -bloodless- the whole thing was. Like for example in actual accounts of civil war when a regiment gets shelled you had incredibly horrifying things like men blown apart and limbs flying everywhere. Men and horses would be disembowel and it was a like a slaughterhouse.

In the movie it just look like artillery rounds blew ppl out of the way slightly when it exploded

one of the multiple major battle scenes in Gods and Generals is the Battle of Antietam, the bloodiest single day of the entire war, in which over 20,000 men were killed or wounded in about ten hours of combat, including a couple shots of what is supposed to be Miller's Cornfield, the site of the bloodiest single actions of that day.

it's so loving clean and bloodless that it's honestly comedic, it looks like nothing more or less than what it is, which is a reenactment, a bunch of slightly pudgy dorks playing pretend.

it isn't just that there's no blood, it's that there's no mud, no grime, no sweat, no soot, hardly even any smoke. faces and uniforms stay spotlessly clean, everybody remains in good order, there are no signs of horror or panic or really any strong emotions of any kind on either side.

There's a ton of reasons for this, but the main one is that it is literally a reenactment, as in, the extras in both films are mostly actual Civil War reenactors, hobbyists, who are almost all using their actual personally-owned gear. None of them are going to want to get their nice period-accurate clothing torn up and muddied up for ten seconds of footage in a five-hour-long movie, especially since the production probably isn't going to reimburse them for it. They'll play-act getting shot and falling down but they're not going to mess around with squibs and blood packs or smear grime all over themselves.

It is also a directing problem, of course, because the director doesn't want to depict the war that way, but even if he did, there's only so much you can do when your soldier extras can't get dirty

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I was at a living history conference and Parks Canada was talking about how the Seven Years War, 1812 and British Garrison/Canadian Militia reenactors, on top of being old and fat, all want to be grenadiers, highlanders, rangers and hussars. They cannot convince anyone to just be a private of some numbered regiment of the line, let alone a driver or farrier.

It's a very funny problem to have because Parks Canada could just pay students to do it as part of the university summer jobs program, they already do at Fort Henry and the Quebec Citadel, which would solve the old and fat thing, but then they wouldn't have them for the rest of the year. They (Parks) also prefer the parade ground appearance of the post 1812 British Army in garrison, before the Canadians took over the forts around 1840, but that's a separate issue.

Though, didn't the CSA wear mismatched uniforms of off-grey and greyish brown? Seems like a much easier problem to solve. Just pay college students at the Pennsylvania and Virginia schools to do it over the summer?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

lotr twin towers war scenes feel more like an a war than any war movie since saving private ryan imo

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I was at a living history conference and Parks Canada was talking about how the Seven Years War, 1812 and British Garrison/Canadian Militia reenactors, on top of being old and fat, all want to be grenadiers, highlanders, rangers and hussars. They cannot convince anyone to just be a private of some numbered regiment of the line, let alone a driver or farrier.

It's a very funny problem to have because Parks Canada could just pay students to do it as part of the university summer jobs program, they already do at Fort Henry and the Quebec Citadel, which would solve the old and fat thing, but then they wouldn't have them for the rest of the year. They (Parks) also prefer the parade ground appearance of the post 1812 British Army in garrison, before the Canadians took over the forts around 1840, but that's a separate issue.

Though, didn't the CSA wear mismatched uniforms of off-grey and greyish brown? Seems like a much easier problem to solve. Just pay college students at the Pennsylvania and Virginia schools to do it over the summer?

There were multiple competing sets of official uniform standards that the Confederates could never quite agree on, and that was just at the national level, it doesn't even take all the different systems and standards used by the state militias into account - and that was assuming you could even get the drat things, which was absolutely not a guaranteed thing at any point during the war. Even color wasn't really standardized - in theory it was grey but in practice it was a bunch of different shades, mostly greyish or brownish but you wore what you got. There were friendly fire incidents from Confederate units wearing blue uniforms as late as 1863 because blue was what they had and they couldn't go naked.

In theory this would make reenacting a Confederate unit a lot cheaper and easier. You really do not need an exact perfect replica of a uniform, you don't even necessarily need a uniform at all, a slouch cap and civilian clothes would work plausibly well for a Confederate private. You don't even need to be very picky about firearms, because they used whatever they could get and it was mostly not consistently standardized, even within units. I shoot flintlocks as a hobby and any one of mine would work fine as a plausible reenacting piece for a Confederate militiaman, there's records of them using desperately obsolete pieces throughout the entire war.

Just as in Canada, though, no one wants to do that, nobody wants to reenact a shabby, wretched band of nobodies with mismatched equipment, they all want to be one of the famous units.

in particular they're obsessed with zouaves, everybody wants to be a zouave, there's zouaves at basically every reenactment, even though there were only Confederate zouave units for a few months very early in the war because they couldn't keep them consistently supplied with the uniforms. there are probably more guys pretending to be zouaves at present than there were actual zouaves at any point in the war.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Mister Bates posted:

in particular they're obsessed with zouaves, everybody wants to be a zouave, there's zouaves at basically every reenactment, even though there were only Confederate zouave units for a few months very early in the war because they couldn't keep them consistently supplied with the uniforms. there are probably more guys pretending to be zouaves at present than there were actual zouaves at any point in the war.

Maybe we're not so different after all 🥺

e: We also have a uh... problem... with native people playing a huge role militarily in Queen Anne's War, the Seven Years War, 1812... all of which took place in Eastern Canada where there aren't many indigenous communities kicking around.... so the reenactors...

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 19:17 on Mar 7, 2024

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

the zouaves poo poo is funny because the guys dressing up as zouaves in the ACW were themselves reenactors, although i guess they did actually fight

the reeanactor centipede

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Dressing up as Zouaves, because the Second French Empire is the height of military power, just before the Franco-Prussian War is also pretty funny ngl.

Kind of like every military in the world rushing to get Multicam and Ops Core helmets rn.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Dressing up as Zouaves, because the Second French Empire is the height of military power, just before the Franco-Prussian War is also pretty funny ngl.

Kind of like every military in the world rushing to get Multicam and Ops Core helmets rn.

One of my favorite books is The Franco-Prussian War: The German Conquest of France in 1870-1871 and it always makes me chuckle that everyone in the ACW was wild for French military equipment and Napoleonic tactics that would look insanely obsolete compared to the bolt-action rifles, mitrailleuses, and Krupp artillery barely a decade later.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Grand Tactician: The Civil War lets the Union eventually procure Dreyse needleguns if they focus hard on foreign diplomacy and angle specifically towards acquiring them, which make infantry engagements with Confederates still mostly using smoothbore muskets some truly one-sided affairs

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Typo posted:

I agree real cannon balls should be shot at Confederate reenactors

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So WARNO juts previewed their next update adding two new campagins to Army General Fulda Gap

https://youtu.be/XbUovTUeTRY

quote:

Fulda Gap

Ah, the famous Fulda Gap. What Cold War source about a potential World War III conflict has not written about this location? Due to the constricted terrain in this part of West Germany, the actual axis of advance would be narrow, with the offensive corridor running through the Kinzig Valley.

The Fulda Gap Army General  campaign centers on the initial Warsaw Pact assault on Fulda, including their efforts to break out of the valley. The Soviet's overarching objective on this part of the front is Frankfurt-am-Main, a key logistical hub and military target, housing the American V Corps HQ. The immediate aim of the campaign is to breach NATO defenses around Fulda, enter the Kinzig Valley, and break out towards Frankfurt.

In Fulda Gap, you will see the full might of the Soviet 8th Guards Army arrayed against a light screen of American and West German forces. You might have guessed, and you guessed right, that the biggest among these troops is the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment manning posts such as the infamous O.P. Alpha.

With devastating air attacks, continuous artillery bombardments, and wave after wave of Soviet motorized riflemen, the NATO defenses must be pried open. Warsaw Pact tank divisions wait to exploit the success and use their mobility and firepower to tear through NATO’s rear areas.

In Fulda Gap, both sides race against time, as the longer NATO can resist, the more reinforcements can be brought to shore up its defenses. On the other hand, the Warsaw Pact’s war plans underline the critical importance of speed and initiative in their attempt to break out of the Kinzig Valley; getting bogged down on the frontier would be considered a disastrous failure.

Fulda Gap Insights

In the campaign, NATO’s battalions are clearly outnumbered. Yet, remember that the 11th ACR squadrons are each worth a small brigade and can beat back several enemy attacks - even by numerically superior forces. The American cavalrymen Achilles' heel is Fatigue, however. They might win a few fights, but they’ll end up spent and unable to continue to do battle.

You must preserve them as much as possible. Fight only the “good fight,” even if you can win more. By chance, a few of the forward NATO battalions, whether West German or American, are close enough to support the ACR’s squadrons or replace them on the line if needed. Besides, additional reinforcements are rushing to the front. In some instances, you’ll be able to select which fresh units you want to deploy, including Green Berets from the 1-10th Special Forces Group.

Although the 11th ACR will have to prevent the enemy from reaching Frankfurt, you can trade some space for time. If you must, fall back. It would be suicide to try to hold back the Soviet Army on the Fulda-Bad Hersfeld line.

The Soviets

For the Warsaw Pact, the numbers are in your favor, but a tight schedule hamstrings you. Your superiors are breathing down your neck for not falling behind the operation’s strict timetable. You can choose your combat units from the start, forming your strategy to overcome NATO defenses in the Fulda Gap. For instance, select the 21st Independent Flame Battalion (with its Buratino and TO-55) to immolate NATO resistance at close range, or opt for the powerful 303rd Guards Artillery Brigade (2S5 Giantsint-S) instead. If you can’t break NATO’s resolve, further reinforcements will come at a cost.Time is of the essence. Losses are irrelevant. Don’t let NATO delay you too long, especially the 11th ACR. Crush the Americans quickly, even if it will cost you dearly. If you don’t achieve a breakthrough, reinforcing NATO units will undoubtedly hamper or even halt your advance through the Kinzig Valley.

And Highway 66

https://youtu.be/TBV41OIFAJE

quote:

Let’s skip ahead a couple of days of very tough fighting. When we return to the Frankfurt-Fulda axis a week later, World War III is well underway. 

Highway 66 is a massive showdown on the CENTAG front. Both sides will have access to a large number of units and formations spread out across a map that stretches from Bad Hersfeld in the north, Fulda in the middle, and Würzburg in the south.

The Soviet offensive through the Fulda Gap has penetrated far through the Kinzig Valley, along Autobahn 66. However, the communist forces failed to seize Frankfurt, being held at the gates by a solidifying defense of American and West German forces. A deadly stalemate has descended on the front.

One more push by the Soviet 8th Guards Army will be made to seize Frankfurt, throwing the last Warsaw Pact reserves into combat. However, NATO is stronger than ever, with elements from U.S. V Corps and VII Corps backed by part of the Bundewehr’s III. Korps getting ready to take the fight to the enemy. Powerful NATO forces are concentrated on the flanks, choosing to attack north or south of Frankfurt.

This means that Highway 66 is, by far, the largest Army General campaign in WARNO. Furthermore, it is the culmination of all the CENTAG campaigns that came before, with commanders able to play out their own strategy to achieve victory. NATO has a chance of success attacking over the flanks, while the Warsaw Pact can strike - in one massive push - through Hanau and seize Frankfurt in a frontal attack.

Highway 66 Insights

This is the big one. Highway 66 lets you play with most of NATO’s US V and VII Corps and West-German III Korps, plus other elements, versus the whole of the Soviet 8th Guards Army and East German III Armee.

Many of the battalions have already been engaged in the opening phase of the campaign (featured in Fulda Gap and various WARNO Operations) and are now a shadow of their former selves. Battalions from the Soviet vanguard divisions and most of the U.S. V Corps start the campaign with losses, depleted units, and some Fatigue.

Aside from the size of Highway 66, the first turn of the campaign allows you to plan the axis of your main thrust. This increases replayability, especially online versus players of flesh and blood.

Where does the main blow land?
NATO receives the U.S. 1st Armored Division from the VII Corps. You can choose where to deploy it when the formation becomes available. An option is Miltenberg, behind the main battle line, which can be used as a reserve to reinforce or even counter-attack the center. However, there it might encounter some of the Soviet Army’s strongest units. Or select Würzburg, at the extreme right of your front. While a more isolated location, it is still a good place to strike the Soviet 8th Guards Army line of communications, defended by weaker units ... but that will leave your battle-weary center to fend for itself.

For the Warsaw Pact, you have the choice to deploy the Nationale Volksarmee’s 7. Panzerdivision, the last fresh armored reserve. It can be posted on the right flank, the shortest way to combat, where the West and East Germans are still fighting for control over Alsfeld (see Bruderkrieg). Or deploy them more centrally, near Fulda, where they will have to travel but have more flexibility in which part of the front they can reinforce.

Unlike Fulda Gap, which has an attacking and defending side, Highway 66 will be a head-on clash, with the choice of where to attack left to the player. The Soviet 8th Guards Army’s momentum is almost spent, but it can still throw its remaining reserves into a last assault on seizing its objective. Meanwhile, NATO’s first units in action have taken horrible casualties and are close to breaking point; however, more fresh troops are poised to reach the front. This is the tipping point of the Fulda campaign, but which side will be victorious?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

No 4 CMBG, no interest.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

21st Independent Flame Battalion is what you send in to back up the 20th Independent Poster Battalion when things get tough.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

You know, I’m just not convinced American formations were actually capable of withstanding many times their own number.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Endman posted:

You know, I’m just not convinced American formations were actually capable of withstanding many times their own number.

Of course they were. If they weren't, then NATO would not be able to win a conventional war, and that's not an acceptable conclusion.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Of course they were. If they weren't, then NATO would not be able to win a conventional war, and that's not an acceptable conclusion.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

:hmmyes:

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Would the Warsaw Pact even have tried to take Frankfurt (the city itself)? My understanding is that they'd just bypass the main urban areas and reduce them down like '44-'45 to take more militarily important (and time sensitive) objectives like Ramstein AB or port cities in the Low Countries where REFORGER units would be arriving.

Edit: Eugen devs - "What do you mean second echelon forces???"

BadOptics has issued a correction as of 04:56 on Mar 8, 2024

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

The nice thing about Second Front being computerized ASL is that you can very easily try new strategies, which might otherwise take hours to run if you were implementing the rules manually via [virtual] tabletop, despite the fact that Second Front isn't a one-to-one emulation

I thought, "okay, what if we leveraged fire combat to shoot enemies out of defensive positions, and would refuse to advance as long as there were still active defensive fire?", and I tried to come up with some principles to adhere to:

- avoid going into melee yourself

- since Second Front does not implement the "fire group" rule, allowing you to combine firepower across multiple hexes, your combined firepower has to be concentrated in single hexes, which means squads need to be triple-stacked, whenever possible

- leaders are going to be more involved: ideally they'd be stacked with your shooters to improve their odds of getting a favorable result (whereas in a more aggressive, melee-heavy strategy, leaders would hang back and be ready to receive routed units, which is going to happen more often if you're running into defensive fire)

the results of attempt number one:

this is three turns shorter than the full playthrough we did last month, and while the score is lower, that's because we took zero casualties - while some squads did rout, and some squads did "weaken", i.e. get reduced from Elite to Veteran, and even Veteran to Regular, no squads lost men per se. This meant that we triggered the 1.5-to-1 ratio of infantry strength very quickly, and we didn't kill nearly as many Germans as we had to the first time. There was only one melee engagement, and it was triggered by the Germans deliberately going into it (and then me dogpiling the one squad after the close combat was inconclusive on the first turn).

the results of attempt number two:

one turn longer, and we did take at least one casualty reduction (squad to half-squad), but the score was much higher, and we killed more of the German force, including the tank, which I didn't get to do in attempt #1. Notably, according to the game's leaderboards, a score of 78 is within the top 100 of all attempts for this mission, and I'm pretty sure I missed an opportunity to drive it at least two points higher, which could have put us into the top 60.

I may do another step-by-step playthrough of the process, just to show how it's done, but it's definitely promising, even if there's some variability involved.

Got into the top five. The #1 score is 97. My first attempt used the treeline to push slowly, but it was... slow.

No casualties, with a bit of luck. Overwhelmed the enemy by concentrating exclusively on the north. There are only 3 German units to really worry about, so drawing fire from each at max range against single units is doable, freeing up everyone else to rush forward.

The forward-most troop can assault the first objective house on their advance move, provided they aren't stopped. The next closest troop can reach the southern house on turn 2. By the end of turn 2, the melee was won in the first house and the routed Germans fled the other. By the end of turn 3 the Germans were routed out of the third house, taking fire from both sides, making it 80pts on objectives.

Attacks of opportunity on fleeing troops in the open is by far the most effective way to get kills.

Could not draw the tank close enough to destroy it. It sat on the other side of the bridge and most of the AT troops were too far away. Would have to set up farther back and ambush as it crosses the bridge, but that could mean the German HMG has more chances to do damage.

German reinforcements from the South do nothing, even though its six units of infantry. They can't reach any objectives before the scenario ends if the victory conditions are met.

Here is how it ended:

Didn't take more because I was certain my shenanigans would result in piles of dead GIs, but it worked out well.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Got into the top five. The #1 score is 97. My first attempt used the treeline to push slowly, but it was... slow.

No casualties, with a bit of luck. Overwhelmed the enemy by concentrating exclusively on the north.

hot drat that's a fantastic result, great job

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Tekopo posted:

EDIT: and yeah Glory is also pretty good

Glory was great

it still suffers from the "bloodless" battle problem Gettysburg has but its portrayal of Antietam was at least closer to how brutal civil war battles would have being than Gettysburg

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

BadOptics posted:

Would the Warsaw Pact even have tried to take Frankfurt (the city itself)? My understanding is that they'd just bypass the main urban areas and reduce them down like '44-'45 to take more militarily important (and time sensitive) objectives like Ramstein AB or port cities in the Low Countries where REFORGER units would be arriving.

Edit: Eugen devs - "What do you mean second echelon forces???"

I think FF pointed this out in some thread long ago now but it all assumes that in the opening hours of the war that the warehouses with all the ReForGer equipment wouldn't be bombed flat or sabotaged by advanced Spetnazs. So even if you win the Second Battle of the Atlantic and reinforcements get brought over in a timely fashion well now their all barely equiped foot infantry because their heavy equipment is slag

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I have been playing a bit more Grand Tactician: Civil War, to experiment with the mode where you start as a regimental commander and work your way up instead of running the entire country, and I've noticed that in addition to Dreyse bolt-action rifles, you can also procure Krupp breech-loading rifled cannon, as well as small quantities of early machine guns (Agar guns, Gatling guns, etc.), and you can get all of them fairly early in the war if you focus hard on obtaining them. I am currently focusing all my political influence on these efforts, and saving up my personal funds to equip my entire brigade with them once it's an option. We'll be a one-brigade wrecking ball.

The game's AI still isn't great but it is quite a bit of fun to be just one small part of a huge battle, focusing on your little slice of it and trying to make a difference without being able to control what everyone else does.

The one downside to my plan to obtain Franco-Prussian War armaments in early 1862 is that I won't be able to spend that political influence on instead ramming through full abolition of slavery several years early, which was my original plan when starting this campaign. In the regular Grand Campaign you can just do that by clicking a button, but it's more fun if you have to work for it, and a radical officer building up political support to force it through makes for a more interesting story than Abe Lincoln just waking up one morning and deciding to do it.

Mister Bates has issued a correction as of 04:18 on Mar 9, 2024

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

this looks interesting

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1189100/Rise_Of_The_White_Sun/

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Now this is a Cspam kinda game

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7kUFjmD_pk

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

It has a nice demo that lets you play a few full scenarios. It's a weird game. Really weird, but interesting and kind of fun.

From the bit that I played, if I had to describe it, it almost feels a bit like what they promised in that Republic: The Revolution game. Mixing military, spy stuff, activism and manipulation to build yourself up. At least in the scenarios I played around with. You have regular army guys that you're trying to train and herd around and build up enough so that they can take a proper city from your rivals. But then you've also got spies and agitators, who are sometimes in a completely separate faction with completely separate resources. Each one can do different types of missions and it's all heavily based on agents and units.

One of the tutorial scenarios, for example, features 3 separate factions working as one, including a communist agitator you just have play his own little game trying to stir up revolutions in your enemy's cities. But reducing their support with the working class reduces the number of supply carriers that they can hire and generally makes their life harder, plus picket units meant to defend strikes have the ability to gently caress with militias, so you soften them up with spies and agitators then move in with the army. Use a spy to monitor an army, sow rumors to wreck morale and then maybe just straight up bribe them to fight for you and flip the whole drat army around. Actually fighting is kind of second to maneuvering your army, keeping it loyal and wearing down the others with actions.

I'm afraid it would get too frustrating at scale, but I like that it exists. Also fun that it can have a narrow focus. You have specific goals in a very specific chunk of the map except for the grand scenarios, so it's nice to be doing your own thing as this whole world keeps ticking along in the background.

Although I'm more interested in the J Edgar Hoover game that the dev made that a few goons mentioned. Might buy it once I have some money to blow.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

This is an interesting video, thanks!

The game at least makes convincing the government to procure them ridiculously difficult (it requires significantly more political influence to get the Army to adopt the Dreyse than it does to completely abolish slavery in 1862)

Hilariously one of the easiest weapons procurement projects to convince the government to carry out is the infamous Hall's Carbine, a real-life scam in which a guy bought a bunch of worn-out old surplus M1819 Hall rifles from the Army, 'refurbished' (repainted) them, and then sold them back to the Army for about ten times what he'd paid for them. The AI will invariably choose to do it of its own accord even if you don't spend any influence on it at all.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ah, so you're the one messing up my youtube recommendations.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

There's also the carbine the Ambrose Burnside designed, that's a pretty strange story

e: They also had a bolt action rifle in inventory they apparently forgot to issue,

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 00:15 on Mar 10, 2024

Endman
May 18, 2010

The logistics argument is still very compelling, imo

I'm still not convinced that today's infantryman needs a fully automatic machine carbine that can blast off 900 rounds a minute; seems ludicrously expensive

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Very mean of you to not let boys play with their guns, you can't make them sad like that, we have a recruitment crisis going on.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Endman posted:

The logistics argument is still very compelling, imo

I'm still not convinced that today's infantryman needs a fully automatic machine carbine that can blast off 900 rounds a minute; seems ludicrously expensive

They don't, Weapon of Choice demonstrates that pretty clearly. It also demonstrates that there's no convincing them of that, as the MIC is very, very good at marketing at infantry, ordnance and SOCOM officers and getting their latest and greatest rifles purchased anyways.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
any good lps of grand tactician?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

wasn’t a big concern with bolt actions with internal magazines even in ww1 was that ammo consumption would outstrip production capabilities? when did that become a small enough of a factor that giving everyone auto weapons seemed like a worthwhile choice