Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

No… not that big!

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

It's probably been answered dozens of pages ago, but how did Gurney escape and become a smuggler? And how would one operate that harvester, the carryall, and what I imagine must also include a base of operations for refueling and exporting all without drawing the attention of the Harkonnens? And didn't the Fremen kill some of Gurney's fellow smugglers when they shot down the carryall?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dick Jones posted:

It's probably been answered dozens of pages ago, but how did Gurney escape and become a smuggler? And how would one operate that harvester, the carryall, and what I imagine must also include a base of operations for refueling and exporting all without drawing the attention of the Harkonnens? And didn't the Fremen kill some of Gurney's fellow smugglers when they shot down the carryall?

they learned how to walk without rhythm

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I asked this same thing in the CD thread yesterday, and got this excellent answer

Seemlar posted:

It's not explained or elaborated on in the movies, but in the novels smugglers are long established on the planet and just kind of mine around the fringes. The Harkonnen's saw them as not worth the effort to deal with and the Fremen tolerate them as long as they don't trespass into territory the Fremen forbid because they're trade partners for offworld materials and resources. When they first arrive Leto sends Gurney to them as an emissary similar to how Duncan went to the Fremen because he wants them on side as allies or at least safely neutral, it's how Gurney has contacts to escape to them with the other survivors when the house falls.

The Fremen hitting the harvester Gurney was on was out of the ordinary and done because it had penetrated further into Fremen land than they ever usually go - they find out there are Sardukar infiltrators hidden in the crew that pushed them to do it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they are tolerated by the harkonnens as a way to sneak spies and assassins in

quote:

"At Arrakeen," Piter said, "the Duke and his family will occupy the Residency, lately the home of Count and Lady Fenring."

"The Ambassador to the Smugglers," the Baron chuckled.

"Ambassador to what?" Feyd-Rautha asked.

"Your uncle makes a joke," Piter said. "He calls Count Fenring Ambassador to the Smugglers, indicating the Emperor's interest in smuggling operations on Arrakis."

Feyd-Rautha turned a puzzled stare on his uncle. "Why?"

"Don't be dense, Feyd," the Baron snapped. "As long as the Guild remains effectively outside Imperial control, how could it be otherwise? How else could spies and assassins move about?"

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 9, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also yes, some of Gurney's fellows died, that gets brought up in the book and it even gives Gurney pause about the 'new' Paul because he seemed to not care about the lives he took.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
soon enough we will be fully engaged in Worm Mode. Nixon Mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26GPaMoeiu4

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

uber_stoat posted:

soon enough we will be fully engaged in Worm Mode. Nixon Mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26GPaMoeiu4

I was a jom gabbar once. Now I'm just an electrician

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
My memory is a bit fuzzy about Gurney in the second book. Did he get to have wild space sex with Jessica in Caladan or was it just chillin there?

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
They ended up married yeah and Gurney gets the fief of Caladan. He continues to be metal as gently caress.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Monica Bellucci posted:

They ended up married yeah and Gurney gets the fief of Caladan. He continues to be metal as gently caress.

Yeah I remember thinking "Man, Gurney probably ended up having the best deal out of the OG Atreides gang" while Duncan gets to do weird worm poo poo for a half eternity

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Ayo Duncs, I need you to climb this high as gently caress wall SEDUCTIVELY while my Fish Talker concubine / bodyguard watches you. Have I told you about my dick? Yeah it's somewhere between these folds...

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Although he's not OG, Harq Al-Ada did pretty alright for himself. Seemed cool.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
duncan idaho comprises like a third of the male genetic line of the fish speakers. they gently caress. they gently caress a lot

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

duncan idaho comprises like a third of the male genetic line of the fish speakers. they gently caress. they gently caress a lot

With the very small fine print of "Emperor might feed you to a wood chipper"

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Duncan mothershitting idaho!

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Good thing the immortal worm overlord is keeping an eye on the genes with all the Duncan Idaho inbreeding going around

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Duncan more like DunCUM

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I wonder if when Duncan's other memories are unlocked he suddenly remembers how often he got tail whipped into the wall and is like

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

kiimo posted:

I wonder if when Duncan's other memories are unlocked he suddenly remembers how often he got tail whipped into the wall and is like

https://youtu.be/YFd8W6fxEto?si=hvZRfB1anvgVGIg2

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/boxdposters/status/1766180486794150351?t=Q4Iz_7bW5JQC0mTbt3IPKA&s=19

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

lol, Shea Whigham owns

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the ones they did for the best picture nominees are great, especially zone of interest

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.

kiimo posted:

I wonder if when Duncan's other memories are unlocked he suddenly remembers how often he got tail

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I hope they release the extended edition because I wanna see what Tim Blake Nelson did in his cut scenes

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Went and saw it today and even though it's 3 hours long it felt rushed.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
About to go see it but it's raining like the end of Lynch Dune right now

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Toxic Mental posted:

I hope they release the extended edition because I wanna see what Tim Blake Nelson did in his cut scenes

DENIS apparently has a huge bug up his rear end about extended editions or directors cuts apparently, which honestly is like dude what? The shits already been filmed! It’s not like the LOTR extended editions where Jackson specifically filled more poo poo after the fact.

Actually it would be awesome if DENIS did exactly that because his editing down of the story is like one of the worst parts of his otherwise decent adaption.

Also I bet the dude loved the “directors cut” of Blade Runner when he made BR2049 and it’s like…. Okay hypocrit much?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I mean I get it, his "directors cut" is the cut you saw already, he cut the scenes because he felt they weren't needed, the blade runner directors cut was basically Scott taking out all the garbage the studio forced him to add. I just don't care and will happily eat the 4 hour unedited slop

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

jeeves posted:

DENIS apparently has a huge bug up his rear end about extended editions or directors cuts apparently, which honestly is like dude what? The shits already been filmed! It’s not like the LOTR extended editions where Jackson specifically filled more poo poo after the fact.

Actually it would be awesome if DENIS did exactly that because his editing down of the story is like one of the worst parts of his otherwise decent adaption.

Also I bet the dude loved the “directors cut” of Blade Runner when he made BR2049 and it’s like…. Okay hypocrit much?

good. he’s the anti-Ridley Scott i.e. he lets his films stand on their own as finished works instead of second guessing himself and releasing 5 cuts over the course of two decades or whatever

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

It's fine to put more of your actual movie back into your actual movie that you were forced to cut due to the concerns of "we will make less money if you make too much movie" corpo fiddling

We saw like only 94% of the actual movie in theaters

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"you can do more showings if the movie doesnt take as long" isn't corpo fiddling, it's the basic nature of the uncompressability of time

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
true solution is to get some navigators to fold time so we could just all watch a 5 hour movie

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Director’s Cut won’t fix how badly the plot flows without the original time skip

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

it's 3 hours long.

Hard pass bro!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

while ultimately I agree that it's better for directors and editors to be allowed to make the film they intended and stick to it, in this very specific case I think the studio has the moral authority to strap dv and joe walker to chairs and force them to edit together 1 and 2 with the unused footage into a 7 hour kraken

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I've always liked the story that Tarkovsky preferred the censored version of Andrei Rublev because he felt most of the scenes were ultimately unnecessary

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Shaddam IV, White Boy of the Month of the Known Universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i'm just shaking my fist and jumping up and down like an angry leprechaun knowing that there's probably film of Buster Scruggs done up in some crazy imperial uniform as the Count and that drat frenchie won't let me see it.