Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Huh, I'm not really feeling any decline in quality in Oglaf tbh. Like, sure it had some really strong strips frontloaded early on but it still has gems, and at its lowest quality it's still good?

Gunnerkrigg court reads like the author has long covid or something and is dropping into incoherence?

Goblins is still amazingly bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

habituallyred posted:

It isn't nearly as good as it used to be. But unambitious is not what I would call Krognar's candle adventure.

That was almost six years ago.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It's been at least a decade since this thread last tricked me into reading Goblins and I'll be damned if it happens again!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gynovore posted:

Oglaf was fall-down-and-pee-your-pants funny when it came out. Nowadays maybe one strip in four gets a chuckle.

Has it changed or have you changed?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'm going through the early strips now and they're still rather great.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Y'all crazy, Oglaf is consistently excellent.

This is one of my recent faves: https://www.oglaf.com/aftertaste/

Also, uh, Oglaf's never had a very good ongoing story. The funpire bit was the only one that was really great.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The best at blow jobs guy was a fantastic story

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

That one was funny. But click next a few times and you get this one. :nws:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, Oglaf has been startlingly consistent over the years imo, but kind of by definition that also means its way less novel now.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah, Oglaf has been startlingly consistent over the years imo, but kind of by definition that also means its way less novel now.

It's this. The sense of humor hasn't changed, it's just you're all very used to it by now.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Oglaf just updated again today and it's still pretty good, yeah! It got a sensible chuckle out of me

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'll always laugh at a good lawyer joke.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Gynovore posted:

That one was funny. But click next a few times and you get this one. :nws:
I laughed at that one. Maybe Pythagoras is just inherently funny.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Webcomic talk: I've been following the various works of John Allison (Scary-Go-Round, Bad Machinery, Giant Days) for the past few years now. Allison is actually one of the older webcomic artists, having started in the late 90's and putting out new series on-and-off over the years. The two most recent sites/series he's been working on are Steeple which is set in a sea-side town in Cornwall and deals with the various supernatural forces the town faces, as well as the rival Satanic and Christian churches (Allison just finished up the series last month).

His other site https://badmachinery.com/ is were Allison has been posting his various side comics. Most of them fall under the Solver series, which follows Allison's character Lottie from Bad Machinery after she leaves her hometown. Allison also did a Giant Days / Batman crossover (which he has since taken down :() as well as a Wolverine / Kitty Pride story set in the 1980's.

More relevant to this thread, Allison's current comic is a Conan the Barbarian story, with various supporting characters being "played" by characters from his other comics.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
New page - https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1299.html

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

And now the discussion cycle begins all over again.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Haley really putting that extensive Rogue experience to work there :v:

e: looks like the fall might have broken the stasis trap

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 11, 2024

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
I'm worried because Cinder has gotten his limbs inside Bloodfeast's jaws. I worry there's something to come from this.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

XkyRauh posted:

I'm worried because Cinder has gotten his limbs inside Bloodfeast's jaws. I worry there's something to come from this.

I think he was just trying to open Bloodfeast's jaws enough to get a single sentence out. After all, all Sunny has to do is close their eye and the giant angry dinosaur turns back into an adorable lizard. No real trickery or subterfuge needed on the dragon's part for that.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Wait, how powerful is Baleful Polymorph that Bloodfeast is permanently a little guy unless inside an anti-magic field?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Well, it's a permanent duration transmutation spell that can't be removed with Dispel Magic. So, that powerful.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

ZearothK posted:

Wait, how powerful is Baleful Polymorph that Bloodfeast is permanently a little guy unless inside an anti-magic field?

3.5e magic

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
go bloodfeast go bloodfeast go

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Big fan of his Lil dragon arms scrabbling at Bloodfeasts big dino head.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Randalor posted:

I think he was just trying to open Bloodfeast's jaws enough to get a single sentence out. After all, all Sunny has to do is close their eye and the giant angry dinosaur turns back into an adorable lizard. No real trickery or subterfuge needed on the dragon's part for that.

Yeah between panels 5-6 you can see the bite mark on his neck as he manages to pry the dinosaur off long enough to bark out a command.

Honestly Cinder Calder is doing a pretty good job of keeping his head cool despite being dogpiled like that while being choked.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 11, 2024

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Well, it's a permanent duration transmutation spell that can't be removed with Dispel Magic. So, that powerful.

Wouldn't Break Enchantment work? Baleful Polymorph is what, 5th level? Otherwise I think you're stuck with Limited Wish or Wish to break it, I think. V probably has that in his toolkit, or could have picked it up in either Tinkertown or Firmament. But it takes a full minute to cast, so it's not useful in combat.

Thinking about it they might have kept the Extreminator smol so that they didn't have to deal with needing to fit a gargantuan (well, technically just Huge) theropod on an airship/inside a Dwarven town/generally everywhere. Though if that's the case, I'm surprised they wouldn't have embiggened him for the fight against Vampire Durkon. I guess that again raises the problem of shrinking him to "fits on an airship" size, but you deal with the problems as they come up.

fake edit: Song of Freedom has the same effect as Break Enchantment, and Elan has used it. Elan could remove the baleful polymorph at any time. I dunno if Elan realizes this or if Roy/V are making sure not to mention it to Belkar.

If I'm not wrong about the above there's an equal level spell that can get rid of it so as long as you've got it or access to someone who's able to cast it. Which makes it much more fair than a lot of 3.5e magic. You're more screwed if you're on your own and then fail your will save after 24 hours, losing your memories and hit dice. Would make for a good plot point, gotta find the correct bird-that's-actually-a-high-level-NPC-who-failed-their-saves so the party/an 11th level NPC can remove the baleful polymorph.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Bloodfeast is the only reason the party didn't go down to Serini's ambush, so it's not like he isn't pulling his own weight despite the Baleful Polymorph :colbert:

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yeah between panels 5-6 you can see the bite mark on his neck as he manages to pry the dinosaur off long enough to bark out a command.

Honestly Cinder is doing a pretty good job of keeping his head cool despite being dogpiled like that while being choked.

Sunny should just keep her eye open, the party has enough martial oomph to beat a dragon who can't cast between Roy, Durkon, and Haley. And Serini as an epic level rogue with a 10d6 or more Sneak Attack. That grapple shouldn't be too hard to get out of, though, because while Bloodfeast has +30 to Grapple checks, Cinder probably has at least +41 (adult Red Dragon) and if he's Wyrm aged would have a +64. But he can't fly out of range of Roy and Durkon until he gets Bloodfeast off him.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'd like to update a prediction. Not only will v try to stop them from killing calder, but the specific method of execution will be a disintegrate eye ray.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

If the party has a chance to get more coordinated, they can have Sunny blink to let Bloodfeast scurry to a new position for a sneak-T-Rex-bite-attack.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
It's like poetry. It rhymes.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

What IS Serini doing right now, anyways?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

habeasdorkus posted:

Sunny should just keep her eye open, the party has enough martial oomph to beat a dragon who can't cast between Roy, Durkon, and Haley. And Serini as an epic level rogue with a 10d6 or more Sneak Attack. That grapple shouldn't be too hard to get out of, though, because while Bloodfeast has +30 to Grapple checks, Cinder probably has at least +41 (adult Red Dragon) and if he's Wyrm aged would have a +64. But he can't fly out of range of Roy and Durkon until he gets Bloodfeast off him.

Bloodfeast has at least +30, could be a lot more as a trained war beast and as a ranger animal companion

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Bloodfeast has at least +30, could be a lot more as a trained war beast and as a ranger animal companion

Nah, Mr. Scruffy is Belkar's animal companion. You can only have one.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Casting Protection from Evil on Sunny, it came up a comic or two prior.

habeasdorkus posted:

*Words about breaking Baleful Polymorph*

Here is the big issue with your train of thought. You're assuming that Bloodfeast wants to turn back, and that he isn't happier now that he's in a size where he gets to do the riding around, and it's easier for him to have a full tummy every night. Plus he has friends his own size he can play with now. If I were him, I would want to stay as the tiny lizard, especially now that I know that I can be turned back if needed.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Randalor posted:

Casting Protection from Evil on Sunny, it came up a comic or two prior.

Minrah is casting Protection From Evil on Sunny at the end of this strip. Which is why Sunny is able to ignore the order. Serini hasn't done anything at all this fight except exposition and yelling at the dragon.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Gnoman posted:

Minrah is casting Protection From Evil on Sunny at the end of this strip. Which is why Sunny is able to ignore the order. Serini hasn't done anything at all this fight except exposition and yelling at the dragon.

Right, sorry, got the names mixed up. She's either getting while the getting is good, or going to rally all the monsters who agreed to help protect the dungeon and the gate, and we're going to get a "Big drat heroes" moment where she saves the day through the power of friendship.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

We don't know, but it's entirely possible the answer is just "standing back and doing nothing useful because she doesn't think she's really equipped for going toe-to-toe with a dragon in an anti-magic field".

With the entire Order plus several hangers-on plus a dinosaur fighting a dragon, there just isn't room to show everyone on every page, so someone being off-panel for a page or two doesn't necessarily mean they're up to something special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Calder is likely a Wyrm and is likely still above half strength despite this setback. I imagine he will pull a reversal here likely with Fire Breath.