Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

zone posted:

but you see, death to Amerikkka because something multipolar world and end of some evil empire

Hands up? Who honestly thinks that Russia is an Empire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

They're a temporarily embarrassed empire

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Nah pretty sure they are attempting to speedrun barbarism.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

EorayMel posted:

I wonder how the pope feels about this

He's weighed in

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/pope-says-ukraine-should-have-courage-white-flag-negotiations-2024-03-09/

quote:

Pope says Ukraine should have 'courage of the white flag' of negotiations

ROME, March 9 (Reuters) - Pope Francis has said in an interview that Ukraine should have what he called the courage of the "white flag" and negotiate an end to the war with Russia that followed Moscow's full-scale invasion two years ago and that has killed tens of thousands.
Francis made his comments in an interview recorded last month with Swiss broadcaster RSI, well before Friday's latest offer by Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan to host a summit between Ukraine and Russia to end the war.
Erdogan made the fresh offer after a meeting in Istanbul with his Ukrainian counterpart Volodymyr Zelenskiy. Zelenskiy has said while he wants peace he will not give up any territory.
The Ukrainian leader's own peace plan calls for the withdrawal of Russian troops from all of Ukraine and the restoration of its state borders. The Kremlin has ruled out engaging in peace talks on terms set by Kyiv.
A spokesman for Zelenskiy did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the pope's remarks.
In the interview Francis was asked for his position on a debate between those who say Ukraine should give up as it has not been able to repel Russian forces, and those who say doing so would legitimise actions by the strongest party. The interviewer used the term "white flag" in the question.
"It is one interpretation, that is true," Francis said, according to an advance transcript of the interview and a partial video made available to Reuters on Saturday. It is due to be broadcast on March 20 as part of a new cultural programme.

"But I think that the strongest one is the one who looks at the situation, thinks about the people and has the courage of the white flag, and negotiates," Francis said, adding that talks should take place with the help of international powers.
"The word negotiate is a courageous word. When you see that you are defeated, that things are not going well, you have to have the courage to negotiate," Francis said.
It was believed to be the first time Francis has used terms such as "white flag" or "defeated" in discussing the Ukraine war, although he has spoken in the past about the need for negotiations.
In a statement, Vatican spokesman Matteo Bruni said the pope had picked up on the term "white flag" spoken by the interviewer and used it "to indicate a stop to hostilities (and) a truce achieved with the courage of negotiations".
Last year the 87-year-old pope sent a peace envoy, Italian Cardinal Matteo Zuppi, to Kyiv, Moscow and Washington to sound out leaders in those countries.
"One may feel shame," Francis said about negotiating, "but how many dead will it (the war) end up with? (One should) negotiate in time, find a country that can be a mediator," Francis said, mentioning Turkey among the countries that had offered.
"Do not be ashamed of negotiating, before things get worse," said Francis, who has made hundreds of appeals for what he calls "martyred Ukraine". Asked if he was willing to mediate, Francis said "I am here".
In another part of the interview, speaking of the war between Israel and Hamas, Francis said: "Negotiating is never a surrender".
Last month Zelenskiy said that 31,000 Ukrainian soldiers had been killed since the Russian invasion in February 2022 and that tens of thousands of civilians had been killed in the occupied areas of the country.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
hands up? Who thinks Russia is a place we need to defend against?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

thank god I am not a catholic, because gently caress the pope

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they stopped letting them go all deus vult in the 1600s, so pacifism is the only card he gets to play

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

gently caress the pope

I don't think he does.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

McGavin posted:

I don't think he does.

At least as far I know he doesn't gently caress kids either, but people below him do, and he protects them

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

It takes true courage and real strength of will to meekly put on your shackles and put yourself at the mercy of a genocidal gangster state.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

He's weighed in...

Pope Frank should lead by example and surrender Vatican City to Russia.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sedgr posted:

Pope Frank should lead by example and surrender Vatican City to Russia.

:getout:

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Well he can gently caress off an' all.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
do you get a visit from the swiss guard if you suggest that someone should break the popes jaw

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Carlos Lantana posted:

do you get a visit from the swiss guard if you suggest that someone should break the popes jaw

who cares, they dress like clowns and use polearms. youre good, dogg

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

How about he negotiates for a cup of Dignitas Swiss tea, the doddering clueless loving idiot.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Ikasuhito posted:

It takes true courage and real strength of will to meekly put on your shackles and put yourself at the mercy of a genocidal gangster state.

Fetishizing tame victims is one of the more grotesque mindsets, yes.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1766474142612598893#m
Can monke give me a small loan of 53 million too? asking for a friend

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
Yeeeaaaahhhh 10000s more dead gently caress the pope yeehaw

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The Catholic Church getting into bed with fascist imperialists? Well I am shocked for one

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Orthodox at that kid

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
Dont orthodox me

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

lalaland posted:

Yeeeaaaahhhh 10000s more dead gently caress the pope yeehaw

Exactly

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Ukraine should accept the white flag from Russia

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm sure this came after a long conversation with fellow pious man of god Patriarch Kirill

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Not surprised the pope thinks victims shouldn't resist. Very in character.

fwiw, the "white flag" is language the journalist used to lead the interview. A common tactic if you already have a headline in mind. Otoh, gently caress the catholic church.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 10, 2024

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Pope: Ukraine should stop resisting, stop talking to the media, and let Putin handle war crime accusations internally

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

...gently caress the catholic church.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

idk what the fuss is about

the catholic church killed a lot of people by flying white

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1766474142612598893#m
Can monke give me a small loan of 53 million too? asking for a friend

there is something extremely disheartening that poo poo poo poo comes from people who are literally ruled by oligarchs

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

BRIGHT light, peaceful light,
Free light, light unbound!
What is this, brother light?
In thy warm home thou'rt found
By censers smoked,
By priests' robes choked,
Fettered and fooled
And by Ikons ruled.
Yield thee not in the fight,
Waken up, brother light!
Shed thy pure rays
On mankind's ways.
All priestly robes in rags we'll tear
And light our pipes from censers rare,
With Ikons now the flames will roar,
With holy brooms we'll sweep the floor.

- Taras Shevchenko

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Satellite footage of the aftermath of the Taganrog strike has emerged. From the looks of it, it seems the A-50 at the base got totaled. The scorching is where it was formerly located on older satellite footage.

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
This rules. Wasn't it the last of its kind with modern electronics that were mostly not stolen ?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1766611891818823885.html

Based on the images it's not clear if that A-50 was there during the strike. I would expect there to be wreckage if it was indeed burned and some signs of damage to the plane parked next to it.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Yeah, assuming another destroyed A-50 seems... optimistic.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Absolute pilgarlic Pope.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

shadow puppet of a posted:

Absolute pilgarlic Pope.

Advocating and defending for victims getting hosed is kinda his M.O. though

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Pope cope

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Didn't popes support Hitler too? Crazy how the organization that fights human rights and systematically facilitates sex crimes seems to be in the moral wrong so often.