Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I enjoyed Stilgar talking about "the small centipedes" [holds hands about a foot apart]

e: for actual content- Villeneuve Feyd is more interesting than Herbert Feyd. There's the apparent sincerity of "well fought, Atreides" to the gladiator, and he returns Paul's "may your knife chip and shatter" with great enthusiasm. Almost longing? He's still a repulsive monster, but there's that desire for some kind of honor...

Zadok Allen posted:

I thought Walken was pretty good? I think his “plain” style (although the Sardaukar had a heavy aesthetic) was a deliberate choice by Deni to differentiate him and his House from the Harkennons, which I think worked. The real/main villains of the movies are the Harkennons, not the emperor—he’s secondary. The fusion of the Giger/Nazi aesthetic, cannibalism, casual murder of subordinates, gladiator stuff, genocide of Fremen, etc was meant to signify there is nothing redeemable about the harkennon culture and society at all.

This was really interesting too. The book Harkonnens are just gross untethered vice and ambition; the movie Harks are monsters living under a black sun in a geiger hellscape.
But then they're not so different from the Fremen- both groups have been hammered over generations by their planets and circumstances into something ruthless and warped and kinda horrifying.

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Just watched and although I enjoyed it, I don't think it's as solid a film as part one. The pacing seemed inconsistent and in my humble opinion, there was too much time used on the religious themes and not enough on the characters. I think Lady Jessica in particular became pretty one dimensional within like 30 minutes of the film and spent the rest of her screen time walking around being creepy to everyone. Her relationship with Paul was central to the first film but in this one, they barely speak and when they do there's no affection at all in the exchanges, which felt weird. I get that there's distance between them now, but they are still one another's greatest ally and it seemed like Paul actually hated her in part 2. Also the "Chani is the only Fremen out of millions who disagrees with Paul" just fell flat for me. She's the only skeptic on the whole planet?

Austin Butler loving killed it. His absolute psycho eyes and the way he strongly matched Skarsgaard's voice and vocal inflections.....wow. Also, Chalamet really did an outstanding job. The scene where he challenges that one guy in front of everyone and then reads people's minds in order to sway the whole tribe was probably the best dramatic scene of the film IMO.

Walken was fine. They tried to downplay his Walkenisms but a few still popped up and I have to admit, it did take me out of it. But he looked the part, and I'm glad he got to do another big blockbuster film before getting too old to act.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 9, 2024

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Austin Butler loving killed it. His absolute psycho eyes and the way he strongly matched Skarsgaard's voice and vocal inflections.....wow.

Yeah there were a few scenes where I thought for a moment that the Baron was speaking, but it was actually Feyd. Dude's good at voices.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I've seen a few interviews with him and he always comes off as just a genuinely sweet and humble dude who loves meeting people and talking with them. That such a guy could so effortlessly pull off a purely evil, soulless villain is really impressive.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Just watched and although I enjoyed it, I don't think it's as solid a film as part one. The pacing seemed inconsistent and in my humble opinion, there was too much time used on the religious themes and not enough on the characters. I think Lady Jessica in particular became pretty one dimensional within like 30 minutes of the film and spent the rest of her screen time walking around being creepy to everyone. Her relationship with Paul was central to the first film but in this one, they barely speak and when they do there's no affection at all in the exchanges, which felt weird. I get that there's distance between them now, but they are still one another's greatest ally and it seemed like Paul actually hated her in part 2. Also the "Chani is the only Fremen out of millions who disagrees with Paul" just fell flat for me. She's the only skeptic on the whole planet?

There's the friend she talks to a lot but I don't recall her getting a name.

And I do think yeah, the biggest problem of the rewriting Alia thing is you end up with Jessica being kinda shortchanged. I think Villeneuve also wanted to very plainly spell out "Guys this is bad, this is going to result in bad poo poo happening" so nobody gets TOO shocked by part 3 (and in the event he didn't get to make Part 3, but that's almost certainly happening.)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
when ur mom uses the voice while pregnant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GesY4WU7boY

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
There’s a scene when Feyd goes into the seich after they assault it and they’ve taken that one fremen lady captive. What is the long thing he grabs - is that a flamethrower or something?

Or maybe it’s a really cool pipe and he wants to smoke one with her cause she took out 9 dudes and he respects that?

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Mar 9, 2024

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Red Rox posted:

There’s a scene when Feyd goes into the seich after they assault it and they’ve taken that one fremen lady captive. What is the long thing he grabs - is that a flamethrower or something?

Or maybe it’s a really cool and he wants to smoke one with her cause she took out 9 dudes and he respects that?

I assumed it was a flamethrower. Although I imagine if he went "u ever do a huge bong rip with spice?? I call it a harkowned" she would just have asked for the flamethrower instead

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

it's a hose, she turns into an unwoke bikini girl like a 90s beer commercial

Come And See posted:

Denis Villeneuve apologizes for failing to slip a ‘tabarnak’ into Dune: Part Two

“I asked Josh Brolin to use the word at one point and it didn’t work out. It doesn’t live well in the mouth of an American.”

thank the gods. No one would take this movie seriously, especially the french

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Come And See posted:

Denis Villeneuve apologizes for failing to slip a ‘tabarnak’ into Dune: Part Two

“I asked Josh Brolin to use the word at one point and it didn’t work out. It doesn’t live well in the mouth of an American.”

Is the director saying they didn't want to use a single non-English word in a movie where people are prominently speaking a made up language with words borrowed from other non-English languages?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

no he's saying as a french canadian even he realizes how dumb it sounds

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I'm reading this as basically him formally apologizing for not dropping the C word if he were Australian or including the shocker somewhere if he were 12 and in 2005. Except not as wild so not as funny.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

May *thy* knife chip and shatter :smug:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Atreides nutz.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's really not an uncommon thing with colonial dynamics, too.

And someone said that after the whole thing with Paul first riding the worm, sandworm travel is then depicted like catching the bus- that's because for Fremen, it is. While obviously extremely risky and never completely safe at the best of times, riding the worms is pretty clearly the most convenient and viable way to travel around Arrakis- they're extremely fast, pretty simple to control once you know the trick, and they're everywhere where there's deep enough sand. All you need is protective gear that all Fremen carry anyway, some hooks and a thumper (which are probably cheap even for Fremen) and you can go anywhere in the desert.

The most harrowing, important rite of passage amongst our people: catching the bus

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Jodorowsky's Dune is on HBO atm if you haven't seen it.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

DeimosRising posted:

The most harrowing, important rite of passage amongst our people: catching the bus

nah, it's about being the one driving the bus. and getting a driver's license is a rite of passage in plenty places.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It is indeed akin to driving the bus, as a top tier dune meme makes clear

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

I finally managed to sneak in a few rewatches. I feel like the absolute worst hell in this universe is having a job that places you even remotely near any of the Harkonnen leaders. In the entire movie I counted one time someone managed to disagree with Rabban and he was too stressed to retaliate. If I were dealing with them I'd constantly be on edge to hop back a little because a knife is coming out.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Red Rox posted:

Or maybe it’s a really cool pipe and he wants to smoke one with her cause she took out 9 dudes and he respects that?

Yeah he cooked her. I was almost relieved when he picked up the flamethrow because "Only pleasure remains" gave me a wrong prediction about what was coming next. That girl was a low-key great sleeper addition to the movie and she went out like a G.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I liked the first one better!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

His harem of vampires wanted to finally have cooked meat

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

banned from Starbucks posted:

His harem of vampires wanted to finally have cooked meat

*Shakes head* Didn't say Little Slowka once.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Saw it again last night, it still rules. I can see the slight pacing issues at the end that people have mentioned but the little bits of dialogue on which characters' motivations hang were much clearer the second time. Definitely will be trying to see it a third time in imax if I can

E: and Austin Butler absolutely steals the movie, he's so good

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Was Paul ever in any danger of losing his final battle with that guy? Or did he know exactly how it would go down? Not a book reader, my assumption was that he basically rigged the fight so that he would get injured as a way to show his people that their savior/god figure can bleed so that they didn't worship him (as) fanatically.

Second question, does the Fremen hopping onto spaceships for a space battle make any sense? I can see them boarding the ships to invade a planet but I thought the ships were flying up into orbit to shoot torpedos at the other ships.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3ILoGcSxCAY&pp=ygUNV29yayBncnVudGluZw%3D%3D

Gary has called a big one

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Boris Galerkin posted:

Was Paul ever in any danger of losing his final battle with that guy? Or did he know exactly how it would go down? Not a book reader, my assumption was that he basically rigged the fight so that he would get injured as a way to show his people that their savior/god figure can bleed so that they didn't worship him (as) fanatically.

One big problem with the book from a narrative sense is that there's never really any tension whatsoever when it comes to whether or not Paul will prevail. You know from the beginning that Paul's prescience is a very real power, and also he's the best fighter, and also he's super smart, as smart as anybody in the galaxy. That's one of the reasons adapting it into a movie with actual tension is hard - you can't leave much of the plot in question without fundamentally changing Paul so that he's not the smartest and most adept and most prescient character from the moment he has his first spice-induced vision on.

Also, when he drinks the water of life he has a vision of being stabbed by Feyd and surviving, so if you pay attention you do know that's exactly what's coming.

quote:

Second question, does the Fremen hopping onto spaceships for a space battle make any sense? I can see them boarding the ships to invade a planet but I thought the ships were flying up into orbit to shoot torpedos at the other ships.

Not in the logic of the book but who knows in the movie.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I saw a copy of the Dune Encyclopaedia in a charity shop today, looked in pretty good condition and going for £90. Looking it up after getting home and I see it's been out of print for years - should I have bought it?

Boris Galerkin posted:

In the film he had a vision, I think after drinking the water of life, of the killing move in the fight.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

I can tag in for this one. If I recall correctly, and maybe I don'r, but Paul is unable to see much of Feyd in his visions, partially because he's part of the breeding program too so it makes prescience complicated.

But in the movie and the book, Paul is very much in danger. In the book, Feyd nearly catches him with a poison dart in the hip. IMO the movie was a vast improvement, just two guys that despise each other going for total brutality.

In the book it's a little dumb idk. Feyd accused Paul of cheating with poison, then Feyd does cheat with actual poison, then Paul refuses to cheat by using a shutoff phrase at him or some poo poo but it throws him off step enough to end the fight. Just a quick array of "No you's".

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Boris Galerkin posted:

Book-wise Feyd was basically the upbringing opposite of Paul - No real challenge, good at everything, no honing. Also, no mentat training.

Boris Galerkin posted:

The Fremen are turbo-backed up psychos. The mechanics by which they rampage across the known are as unimportant as the pleadings of their victims.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Boris Galerkin posted:

In this adaptation, it appears that Paul has perfect knowledge of how he'll defeat Feyd. He sees the killing blow during his Water of Life visions. In the novel and 1984 Lynch adaptation, it's more ambiguous because of dudes who block Paul's prescience and Feyd being a more tricky fighter.

So here's how I take the Fremen boarding the ships at the end: the first movie appears to show us that when the Guild folds space, their giant ships act as a sort of star gate between worlds. In Dune Messiah, the Fremen Jihad involves them invading basically every world in the imperium. I think the Dune Messiah film will show us that the Fremen launched a counter-invasion against every great house whose home planet is accessible through the Guild ships in orbit, forcing them to turn their own forces around because they thought their homes were about to be ravaged by Sardaukar (and in fact were about to ravaged by people who clowned the Sardaukar). There really isn't a lot of ship-on-ship combat in the Dune universe at this time because the Guild maintains such a strict control over all interstellar travel.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Monica Bellucci posted:

The Fremen are turbo-backed up psychos. The mechanics by which they rampage across the known are as unimportant as the pleadings of their victims.

This was very much by design from Herbert, who didn't want to get bogged down in the mechanics of space-warfare because it might mean someone took his story about the tragedy of a galaxy-spanning genocide and make toys out of it :v:

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Carpet posted:

I saw a copy of the Dune Encyclopaedia in a charity shop today, looked in pretty good condition and going for £90. Looking it up after getting home and I see it's been out of print for years - should I have bought it?

If you want a legit one, probably. At least on US ebay/online secondhand stores the typical price is at least twice that; I was happy to get my copy for $175.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Movie was good but I felt the ending was a bit abrupt. It’s leaning into a sequel harder than I thought it would but it’s probably going to be a few years before filming even begins.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Thought it was odd to have Lady Fenring but not the Count, only to find Tim Blake Nelson may have played him but was cut. He would have been perfect and I really found the character compelling for how little he showed up. But then the movie is 3 hours. Hope the scene surfaces in some fashion.

I think I rate the first one over this but that's not really fair, this being part of a whole instead of a stand alone sequel. Want to piece together the differences from the book.

Casimir Radon posted:

Movie was good but I felt the ending was a bit abrupt. It’s leaning into a sequel harder than I thought it would but it’s probably going to be a few years before filming even begins.

To be fair, same deal with the book.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Boris Galerkin posted:

IIRC it isn't necessarily a sure thing that Paul will win, because of the aforementioned poison dart and what not plus Feyd is actually a very capable fighter with significant if lesser advantages conferred to him by dint of being part of the BG messiah breeding program.

However most of the tension in the book comes from the political implications of how Paul wins - can he kill Feyd without taking a mortal blow (but still taking enough hits to show how tough he is) or will he have to resort to using a BG code word (given to him by the BG) that can disable Feyd at the right moment? The first series of events is what happens and thus allows Paul to demonstrate his dominance and worthiness to the various political factions. Had he been forced to use the BG command as a trump card or to save his own life it would've undermined his standing and made him look like a BG puppet, with various implications.

Haven't seen the sequel yet but I'm guessing that all got left out despite them including Fenring's wife seducing Feyd.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

Yeah if I recall correctly, Dennis is stopping at film 3, so no more cliffhangers- which is bad timing in the plot because Messiah ends in a pretty open way. I mean the antagonists are killed sure but it's more like sad ol Irulan, the start of Alia's heel turn, Busted Paul out wandering the sand and 2 kids left behind.

I have no idea how to solve this. Maybe keep peppering in the creative license, accelerate some of Messiah and punch all the way through to Children which leaves the plot with a nicer little bow than Messiah. But I'm also an idiot so idk.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Paul's voice command is weird. I don't know how much power he wields or can project. Could he have commanded the entire room to kneel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

BizarroAzrael posted:

Thought it was odd to have Lady Fenring but not the Count, only to find Tim Blake Nelson may have played him but was cut. He would have been perfect and I really found the character compelling for how little he showed up. But then the movie is 3 hours. Hope the scene surfaces in some fashion.

I don’t remember most of the book, so maybe I’m missing something but I think both Fenrings exist to show that there’s a breeding program and that the Bennies have backup plans for Paul, and so it was not essential to have both