Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
In theory I love an early Hiker. The idea of slowly bumping the chip potential of your entire deck is really fun in concept. But I think overall impact of it is really low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Darke GBF posted:

In theory I love an early Hiker. The idea of slowly bumping the chip potential of your entire deck is really fun in concept. But I think overall impact of it is really low.

I prefer the wee joker. But Hiker can do work if you focus on a few specific cards and make it activate twice using Hack or Sock and Buskin.

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

Darke GBF posted:

The problem with Hiker is that you can't see what cards it's buffed without hovering over them. Makes it annoyingly fiddly to use, regardless of how powerful it is.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Darke GBF posted:

There are cards that do what Hiker does better, and what's more they do it this turn when I need the chips, not next round when I might not even get the same cards.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

The Velvet Witch posted:

The Mouth basically softlocked me so I want it not only removed from the game but violently ripped from it's code like a fistful of wires

you can still play other hands they just won't score

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Welp, I beat the purple stake on checkered deck. Let the orange stake bullshit begin I guess because I really want to unlock that last deck.

3 cheers for Red Card gaming. Admittedly it only really scaled well enough due to a mixture of blueprint and wheel of fortune actually giving me a polychrome so each skipped pack was actually +9 mult (3 x2 x1.5 )

Also Riff-Raff giving me Business Card and Egg right from the start gave me a really strong starting economy that built into a stronger economy allowing me to burn some money every shop on boosters to throw away, assisted by getting both price reduction vouchers. I'd like to thank this thread for teaching me the dark secret of Red Card: on mega packs if you grab one item and then skip it still counts as a skip.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Now that you've hit orange stake, time to never use red card again!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Elman posted:

I prefer the wee joker. But Hiker can do work if you focus on a few specific cards and make it activate twice using Hack or Sock and Buskin.

:same:

Even in a Hack deck the wee joker is going to be about double the benefit on average, and the bonus applies to all cards including new ones (which is important if you get a cool card from a playing card booster.) Even for a rare vs. uncommon it seems like a big gap.

No Wave posted:

Now that you've hit orange stake, time to never use red card again!

It's probably not going to get up to +63 but it still compares favorably to a lot of commons with no/limited scaling.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Hiker's bonus does stick around after you get rid of it, though.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

TengenNewsEditor posted:

Hiker's bonus does stick around after you get rid of it, though.

Yeah this part is important. You can just dump it later on and you'll keep your higher base chips but get an extra joker.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Been out of the loop for a bit, but managed to come back and get some more Balatro in today, clearing Yellow Deck and Green Deck on Green Stakes. An Ante 12 clear remains out of sight, but the early Yorick was very welcome and made this run pretty strong.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I have 60 hours in this game and I have yet to see a single The Soul card.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

the holy poopacy posted:

It's probably not going to get up to +63 but it still compares favorably to a lot of commons with no/limited scaling.

Orange Stake makes booster packs more expensive so it's kind of hard to justify Red Card.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
The Eye:

"Oh you made a flush and full house deck? How about you go gently caress yourself instead?"

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

I feel like this could be the start of some crazy run into Ante 9+ but I am very scared of loving it up

i think the move is to sell the tribe (flush x2 joker) buy blueprint and hope i can hit something good to copy with 3 copies of perkeo? does brainstorm work if it copies a blueprint?

thalweg fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 9, 2024

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

thalweg posted:

does brainstorm work if it copies a blueprint?

I've had blueprint copy a brainstorm so I assume it works the other way around as well.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TBH it feels kind of unfair smeared joker has a negative interaction with debuff like this.

Wild cards getting a similar treatment also sucks.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Oxyclean posted:

Wild cards getting a similar treatment also sucks.

Totally, it was VERY annoying to find that out the hard way :smith:.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

ughhhhhhhhhhhhh lost a good run because i made a card stone to feed vampire forgetting that prevents the hand from being a flush

that's okay though cause i was just hoarding double tags on anaglyph deck hoping for money doublers/sources. end of ante 7 and not a single loving good skip the whole time. garbage run anyway

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Alkydere posted:

Orange Stake makes booster packs more expensive so it's kind of hard to justify Red Card.

Which I'd disagree with. Booster packs are a gamble that don't always pay off, but the upside is high enough that they're worth prioritizing even at orange. I often find that an early red card often gets up to +12-15 pretty quickly without any special effort and will probably wind up in the +20-30 range--not great, but good enough for a common. If you have a strong economy then it can still sometimes get above +40, which still isn't a huge gamechanger but is pretty good.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

How do multiple retriggers work? If I have a red seal on a card getting a retrigger from a joker, does that play three times or four?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Just bought a cavendish and had it go extinct in the next round. I feel like I should get an achievement for this.

EDIT: After the next round after that, a second cavendish appeared in the shop. The game has the opportunity to do the funniest thing of all time.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 9, 2024

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Retriggers stack additively.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

quiggy posted:

How do multiple retriggers work? If I have a red seal on a card getting a retrigger from a joker, does that play three times or four?

I watched a streamer who got 2 mimes to retrigger red seal steel cards and it appears that each effect only happens once. You can't retrigger the red seal.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Veryslightlymad posted:

I have 60 hours in this game and I have yet to see a single The Soul card.

Yeah they are quite rare. I believe each card in an Arcana or Spectral pack has a 1 in 333 chance to be replaced with Soul. One of the legendaries is the final card I have left to complete my collection and it has taken me nearly as long as unlocking literally everything else combined. RNG gonna RNG.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Had a blueprinted card shark and a level 10 two pair. Rerolled the eye into the needle.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

:same:

Even in a Hack deck the wee joker is going to be about double the benefit on average, and the bonus applies to all cards including new ones (which is important if you get a cool card from a playing card booster.) Even for a rare vs. uncommon it seems like a big gap.
Wee Joker is stronger in general but Hiker does fill a slightly different space since you can sell it and continue to enjoy the benefits it gave you previously.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Which deck(s) would people recommend for finishing off some of my achievements? I need the 30 of each suit ones (obviously checkered works for half of those), $400, and the one hand earns 1M and 100M.

I got close to the $400 one once but only because I had Rocket from the very beginning.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Relyssa posted:

Which deck(s) would people recommend for finishing off some of my achievements? I need the 30 of each suit ones (obviously checkered works for half of those), $400, and the one hand earns 1M and 100M.

I got close to the $400 one once but only because I had Rocket from the very beginning.

Anaglyph is great for the 400 dollar one, just save your double tags for the double money skips. Or if you're like me, get the Midas joker and golden ticket by the end of ante 1, making deck choice pointless.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Relyssa posted:

The zodiac deck (start with tarot merchant, planet merchant) increases the likelihood of getting suit swap and death cards.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Yea, Anaglyph made the $400 one pretty trivial.

I still need “discard 5 Jacks”, “finish in fewer than 12 rounds”, “play four 7’s of clubs”, “win while never having more than 4 Jokers”, “play 5 Gold cards”, and two of the Legendaries.

I think Erratic deck is probably best for the Jacks and Clubs but the rest is kind of a crapshoot.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Aggro posted:

Yea, Anaglyph made the $400 one pretty trivial.

I still need “discard 5 Jacks”, “finish in fewer than 12 rounds”, “play four 7’s of clubs”, “win while never having more than 4 Jokers”, “play 5 Gold cards”, and two of the Legendaries.

I think Erratic deck is probably best for the Jacks and Clubs but the rest is kind of a crapshoot.

Painted deck and don't pick up any negatives for the 4 jokers. Something that can generate lots of tarots for the others, I reset pretty hard until I got those weirder hands.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Painted deck lowers your joker cap by one, making it the obvious choice for a four joker run. Zodiac handles five jacks and four sevens, and the golden mask joker is an easy way to get a hand full of golden cards.

Beating the game in 12 round is a little tricky. You need to get a deck that scales well early, then you can just skip all the non-boss blinds. If you get the joker that levels up every time you skip a blind, you can force your way through this one pretty painlessly.

Legendaries are random. It is what it is.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Beating the game in 12 round is a little tricky. You need to get a deck that scales well early, then you can just skip all the non-boss blinds. If you get the joker that levels up every time you skip a blind, you can force your way through this one pretty painlessly.

Legendaries are random. It is what it is.

Pretty sure that's how I did it, pretty much by accident.

Still need a bunch: play all Hearts in the deck, $400, 100M, 30 Clubs and 30 Diamonds (wild cards and Painted Joker don't count I imagine?). and more. Hell I don't have any stake other than basic beaten

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

For the Jack and 7s ai got lucky on spectral cards and then a few tarots to get the same suits.

Took a long time trying with the abandoned deck but I got down to 20 cards by getting a super early Trading card to get there.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Been playing through the challenges in order, only 2 left to go. Most haven't been too bad, but golden needle and blast off were tough. I got lucky on needle pivoting to a 4/5 of a kind build with some spectral card draws. It's by far the most RNG dependent challenge I've experienced so far.

The last one looks tricky but I think the strat may be to just throw a lot of glass cards and red seals at it with a flush build. I still have a fair bit to unlock, but too bad you can't trigger those while playing challenges.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Pretty sure I used anaglyph for "less than 12 rounds". The double tags encourage skipping more often.

Keep in mind 12 rounds means at least skipping through 4 antes entirely.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
25 hours in and I got my second The Soul. Any good way to target the remaining Legendary jokers? They're my last to discover at this point.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Xenaero posted:

25 hours in and I got my second The Soul. Any good way to target the remaining Legendary jokers? They're my last to discover at this point.

The only way is to keep buying spectral and tarot packs. I got like six fuckin Perkeos before my first Yorick, so strap in!

Edit: ghost deck does add individual spectral cards to the shop, but I dunno if Soul is included in that or not.

Lugubrious fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

This plays all the time in my head, might as well get funky with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJi6m7R8ADY