Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

doing an honor mode run since I broke my arm and needed a one handed game, and I ran into something incredibly bizarre: one of the random Heavy Chests I picked up in act 1 to sort camp items into is, apparently, the master key to every other heavy chest. if I try to open a locked heavy chest, the master key chest will get magic pocketed out of my camp stash and unlock the other chest. sadly I have no idea which heavy chest it is. vanilla game, no mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

buffalo all day posted:

If you haven’t done a dual hand crossbow sword bard yet, you should try one. Bards rule.

This is actually what I'm leaning towards. Saw a Warlock/Bard might be fun too, but if I do that I'll change Wyll to something else.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Zodium posted:

doing an honor mode run since I broke my arm and needed a one handed game, and I ran into something incredibly bizarre: one of the random Heavy Chests I picked up in act 1 to sort camp items into is, apparently, the master key to every other heavy chest. if I try to open a locked heavy chest, the master key chest will get magic pocketed out of my camp stash and unlock the other chest. sadly I have no idea which heavy chest it is. vanilla game, no mods.

loving Rogue Neo over here.

Are you telling me I can pick locks?

No, Neo when you're ready you won't have to.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
loving LOL that of all times Gale starts hitting on me, it's in the middle of the shadow lands as we try stave off being eaten by darkness.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

Lae'zel I always leave as a 12 Battlemaster, she's just too good. Karlach I alternate between a 5/4/3 Berserker/Champ/Thief Throwbarb or a 9/3 Open Fist Monk. Wyll I generally make a 7/5 Bardlock. Based purely on my own fantasy hero comp, you'd maybe want to roll a dedicated caster like Sorc, Cleric or Wiz for your Tav.

I've been having fun with Karlach as an actual Wildheart Barb. Give her the Tiger thing for jumping and Athlete and she just bounces all over the map and bleeds things. It's great.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bum the Sad posted:

I did almost no “OP” theory crafting builds other than making Astarion a Monk rogue and feel the same way.

Like I had to reload and slow down killing Ansur one turn later to get the achievement.

I never knew there was a pillar mechanic in the Raphael fight.

Toughest fight was probably Cazador because it starts you down a party member and my main character a Lore Bard felt pretty anemic at level 12.

That’s my fault for choosing it but that’s probably my only complaint, that my lore bard was pretty so-so end game. No big end game murder spells, just fireball and blight.

There were a lot of fights where my bard would have had fairly useless rounds if I hadn’t had them get the “tadpole powers are a bonus action” perk and had them suck down every worm they found.

Good utility though, murdering dialogue checks and picking locks. Was nice to be able to swap out my Astarion rogue monk for other characters every now and then. Since having a lock picker/trap disarmed is a requirement in the game.

Straight Barbarian Karlach felt a little anemic too compared to fighter at 12 until I respec’d and gave her a few levels of fighter to get action surge and battle master. You just can’t beat a hasted action surging great weapon wielder as a way to delete a boss first round. Well other than ascended Astarion monk.

Monk/Thief feels OP as hell tbh. I know there are builds that do more but even on tactician I find that my Astarion one rounds a lot of bosses or kills 3 normal mobs on his turn. Without any real special setup. He just like… punches them and they die lol. You can do 8 paragraphs worth of poo poo making a chain lighting sorc or whatever that deletes mobs even faster but monk just feels so good and easy.

Medullah posted:

Yeah overall that's my biggest gripe with the game. There's all these cool builds to experiment with but there's no repeatable content. I'd be fine with an arena type thing even if there weren't any actual rewards, or only cosmetic ones.

Agreed. By the time you’re fully armed and operational in act 3 the game is nearly over. Cool I got an incredible new sword from one of the last couple bosses but I already killed him in one turn so there’s not much further up the power curve I can go here. I would enjoy some big dumb overtuned monster gauntlet DLC where I can see how much rear end I can whoop with my tricked out party.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I think the most dangerous thing in act 3 is that imp on the plague ship that my friend didn't read the description of before sneak attacking it with her assassin.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Did anyone ever figure out how to trigger that Karlach scene where she seemingly becomes aware she's in a video game? Or was that ultimately just cut content that could only be activated by mods/cheats. I can't find any mention of it since like September, doesn't seem like anyone figured out a way to trigger it.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Zodium posted:

I've got a 1 handed game for you

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tip for anyone fighting Raphael - If you're using Gale and casting Curriculum of Strategy - Artistry of War, do NOT target Astarion if he's only got 25hp left. He will die.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Medullah posted:

Tip for anyone fighting Raphael - If you're using Gale and casting Curriculum of Strategy - Artistry of War, do NOT target Astarion if he's only got 25hp left. He will die.

Did you misclick or something

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Mr. Lobe posted:

Did you misclick or something

No the game must have been glitched and I have a virus and also limewire and uhhh gremlins

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Medullah posted:

No the game must have been glitched and I have a virus and also limewire and uhhh gremlins

I believe you. Thank you for being brave.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Just the tadpole acting up.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

mycot posted:

Just the tadpole acting up.

I shouldn't have wished to live in more interesting times.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hi just got the game. Doin' some googlin' and redditin' and something awfulin'

If I'm doing my first playthrough on balanced, are there any class/races to avoid? I'm trying to find something that is:
  • Relatively simple, mechanically, to play.
  • Something that won't be underpowered.
  • I don't need the most OP race or class, but I just wanna make sure I'm not doing something that makes the game harder .

Also, seems like the races with the most race-specific dialogue options are Tief, Orc, and Drow. Is that right?

Also, are there any guide/build sites? The site in the OP was wildly out of date, referencing the pre-release game.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Also, seems like the races with the most race-specific dialogue options are Tief, Orc, and Drow. Is that right?

Gith has a bunch

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tieflings, Drow, and Githyanki probably have the most race-based dialogue, but there really aren't any weak races or classes, especially on the lower difficulties. I'd recommend Bard for any player's first time. They can make strong melee fighters, rangers, or spellcasters depending on what you need, have tons of amusing class-specific dialogue options, Charisma-based so it's easy to win persuasion checks while also being high Dex so you can pick locks, and fulfill a role not natively filled by any recruitable party member.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ornery and Hornery posted:

[*]Relatively simple, mechanically, to play.
[*]Something that won't be underpowered.
[*]I don't need the most OP race or class, but I just wanna make sure I'm not doing something that makes the game harder .[/list]

Champion Fighter

not a lot of moving parts, several self explanatory buttons, very satisfying experience, allows you to experiment with companions

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
the I guess weakest player race in BG3 is Dragonborn since Larian's implementation of 5e has them more or less have nothing much going on mechanically besides breath weapon, and, unless Im mistaken? the bulk of their interactions seem to be in Act 3, since I guess they were added last?

they make up for this drawback by looking absolutely amazing in screenshots and adding some Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer makes them twice as much more ridiculously majestic

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Thank you, friends :)

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I didn’t get the ride off into the sunset with Lae’zel ending but I think that’s because someone else made the sacrifice so that might’ve had priority

The interesting thing is however if you ask her to stay. You raise the egg as parents. And the dialogue options are more romantic compared to the astral projection. Ascendants can still feel :3:

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
In my second play through doing an oathbreaker paladin resist durge. Having a lot of fun with a significant amount of new interactions. Currently starting Act 3 with Jaheira, Karlach and Wyll and making a beeline for Minsc who is going to become my first monk character. I can’t wait to see him throw Boo around and open hand punch stuff.

Wyll is a swords bardlock with phalur. Jaheira is living her best spore life and Karlach is smashing everything she gets her amazing hands on. The first time she killed a kobold with another kobold she captured my heart. Also I <3 Us.

My first play through I closely stuck with Astarion, Gale, Shadowheart and Lae’zel. This time I’m using them for their main arc pieces only.

Minthara will absolutely be coming to meet the clowns. Her dialogue at the end of Act 2 was extremely good she talks about how she felt loved and important and valued so she could choose her path. Now she actually remembers that she was imprisoned in a flesh cage whilst Orin laughed at her terror as a tadpole was fed into her brain so she’s very revenge focused

Halsin will also get some occasional enrichment to keep his spirits up. And his level so if he gets whipped away I can free him and have him be useful.

I’ve been replaying a lot of fight set pieces having fun trying different things out. Paladin smites are so viscerally satisfying but it’s also very funny to reload and do a fight where you kick/telekenesis people into the abyss and then go back to the other load where you get the loot.

Third run will be honour mode. I’m thinking lae’zel origin for that.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

wizard2 posted:

the I guess weakest player race in BG3 is Dragonborn since Larian's implementation of 5e has them more or less have nothing much going on mechanically besides breath weapon, and, unless Im mistaken? the bulk of their interactions seem to be in Act 3, since I guess they were added last?

they make up for this drawback by looking absolutely amazing in screenshots and adding some Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer makes them twice as much more ridiculously majestic

At least dragonborn eventually gets dialogue based on their race. My halfling run has been completely underwhelming on that count, with barely any options appearing; seriously, probably less than ten have appeared up to and including some of act 3. When they do, they're always "I like sandwiches" or something else food related.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

How stable are things now in terms of bugs? I'd like to try an honour run but not if I'm gonna have to kill a bunch of stuff because of various things not triggering correctly.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

FairGame posted:

How stable are things now in terms of bugs? I'd like to try an honour run but not if I'm gonna have to kill a bunch of stuff because of various things not triggering correctly.

stay away from the haunted house in act 3, I think the actual code might be cursed

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

There are bugs but most are dialogue flags being wonky + NPCs taking a million years to move instead of anything genuinely progression-destroying. I've beaten HM three times since it was patched in last December and never had to restart because of a softlock. Note that this does not save you from the many ways you can gently caress up an Honor Mode run entirely on your own, aka the "Never Cast Friends on Kagha" rule.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

doing my hm run with a bunch of personal rules like no pickpocketing, and I never realized how much discount you can work up until I couldn't just steal whatever I wanted. the 1/LR envoy's amulet with +2 persuasion is actually really good now! I have -131% discount with my friendly vendors Dammon, Talli and Tarv. :3:

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

ClydeFrog posted:

I’ve been replaying a lot of fight set pieces having fun trying different things out. Paladin smites are so viscerally satisfying but it’s also very funny to reload and do a fight where you kick/telekenesis people into the abyss and then go back to the other load where you get the loot.

This is one of the big reasons I couldn't play honour mode, loving around is my favourite thing to do. And yes a lot of the time that means throwing people into pits.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
On a durge run and I killed the strange ox in the Grove (usually I kill him in act 3). Was looking up info about it and saw an old post saying dammon disappears from act 2 if you kill the ox in act 1. Is this still a thing? I'll have to reload a very old save if so.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

On a durge run and I killed the strange ox in the Grove (usually I kill him in act 3). Was looking up info about it and saw an old post saying dammon disappears from act 2 if you kill the ox in act 1. Is this still a thing? I'll have to reload a very old save if so.

Nope you’re fine

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
No ring is good enough for me to kill my ox friend

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Professor Beetus posted:

I guess it’s not a ring but the fire acuity hat is definitely good enough

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

It’s better than the thunder acuity hat that’s for sure unless I’m using it wrong.

Fire Acuity means I can do a 6th level scorching ray with free cast and now I’ve got +10 to my DC.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

you don't need to kill him, you just need to get someone's approval low enough to trigger the "this individual holds you in low esteem" response so you can open the gift screen and buy it. I recommend smacking him with a mage hand.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Zodium posted:

you don't need to kill him, you just need to get someone's approval low enough to trigger the "this individual holds you in low esteem" response so you can open the gift screen and buy it. I recommend smacking him with a mage hand.
god I love this game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Now listen, I may be the spawn of a disgraced murder god with selective memory loss and an illithid tadpole in my brain desperately trying to present some facade of humanity, but this talking cow has gone too far.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Alright I'm largely trying to explore and find stuff on my own but I heard from a friend that there was a (Act 3 near the end) Bone Dragon, and I hadn't seen ANYTHING hinting towards that so I was weak and googled where to find him. I was able to get through the puzzles fairly easily, but how in the hell did anyone figure out that you had to electrocute the torches to open the hidden gate to his lair? I don't remember reading any hints or anything that would lead me to try that.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Medullah posted:

Alright I'm largely trying to explore and find stuff on my own but I heard from a friend that there was a (Act 3 near the end) Bone Dragon, and I hadn't seen ANYTHING hinting towards that so I was weak and googled where to find him. I was able to get through the puzzles fairly easily, but how in the hell did anyone figure out that you had to electrocute the torches to open the hidden gate to his lair? I don't remember reading any hints or anything that would lead me to try that.

The main pointers for that quest are (general spoilers for the whole game):
1) If/when you finally save the Duke he will straight up tell you the secret of Wyrm's Rock
2) If counselor Florrick is alive (you saved her from the burning building in Act 1) and you did the quest to free her from prison in Act 3 she will eventually have a rather heated confrontation with Wyll, ending with telling him to investigate Wyrm's Rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

It’s the name of the location