Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

teen witch posted:

what, exactly, is a batongliberal? noticed it in the comments section of an article about L wanting to put a kiddie lock on phone usage past kl23 (lol, lmao).

I can find the term in use when I google it which has narrowed down what it could mean, but not exactly a definition?

You know when many of the Swedish liberals says that personal liberty is the #1 most important thing, which is why taxes is bad and restrictions on private schools is bad etc, but also everyone moving to Sweden while being brown needs to integrate by 100% learning fluent Swedish or get booted out and also stop and frisk is a good thing and more jails and harsher punishment is very important, and actually SD has very good ideas on restricting islamic symbols etc. etc.? Yes? Those are batongliberaler. People who outwards say they are liberals but mostly champion very conservative policies. The dictionary should have betongliberaler as an illustration of cognitive dissonance.

Historically I think the language tests has been one of the major batongliberal policy over the years, and then they've just become more and more influential in the party as they have had to abandon most of the liberal ideas to jive with the Tidö agreement. A lot of the internal opposition to it in the party have left or been beaten into submission.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Still think L has a good chance of being booted out of Riksdagen come election time.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

You should read that article SplitSoul linked. This was a deeply lovely dude. If he was your personal friend, I can see being sad, but I don't see any reason everyone else should rend their garments.

Here's what Pape thought of the genocide, some twenty thousand Palestinian corpses in:

He wanted to propagandize schoolchildren because young people don't support Israel.

quote:

Jeg får beskeder, der tager udgangspunkt i, at Israel brutalt myrder civile, og at vi alle lukker øjnene for dette, særligt når Israel er en besættelsesmagt, der har taget palæstinensernes land. Jeg har ikke tal på, hvor ofte jeg hører dette. Det har fået mig til at tænke, at enten er historieløsheden total, eller også har nogle en helt anden dagsorden, der handler om, at Israel ikke længere skal eksistere.

Vi har i Det Konservative Folkeparti foreslået, at der nationalt udarbejdes et nuanceret og objektivt undervisningsmateriale, så vi sikrer, at der undervises i dette emne, og at lærerne forhåbentlig tør undervise i dette. Også i områder med stor muslimsk population.

He states that Palestinians have no right to the land, because it belonged to the British who stole it from the Ottoman Empire, and so on. It's free real estate, a victimless crime really.

quote:

Jeg tror desværre, at virkeligheden er den, at mange (primært) yngre tror, at staten Israel blev dannet med verdenssamfundets accept, og at man for at give jøderne deres eget land efter Anden Verdenskrig tog et land, Palæstina, og gav det til jøderne. Det lyder i debatten, som om mange faktisk tror det. Ikke noget med, at det faktisk før Israels oprettelse var et britisk mandat og så videre. Hvis man så aktivt advokerer for, at et land er stjålet fra nogle andre, får man hurtigt skabt en offerfortælling. Vi må og skal have nuanceret og gjort klart for alle unge (og alle andre), hvordan historien rent faktisk er.

Just completely unsubstantiated propaganda claims about the war crimes Hamas are doing, and how that justifies whatever Israel feels like doing in response. I'll remind you, this was published in December. This is not some fog of war thing, everyone knows at this point what Israel is doing.

quote:

Men husk nu, at Hamas ikke spiller efter reglerne. De gemmer sig blandt civile og bruger civile som skjold. De er kyniske, ondskabsfulde og mennesker uden hjerte, som er fuldstændig ligeglade med deres egen befolkning i Gaza. Hamas må og skal udryddes. Der findes ikke en fredelig løsning med Hamas.

Og der findes ikke en tostatsløsning, hvis det fører et kalifat med sig med Hamas som de ledende figurer. Det er i alles interesse at bekæmpe Hamas, og det må være uden for al diskussion, at Israel må forsvare sig selv. Inden for krigens love naturligvis.

That little ending note is ridiculous asscovering, in light of when this was posted. Pape knew very well that Israel was doing a genocide at this point.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

This dude wouldn't have pissed on you if you were on fire, why would you care about him? Just because he came around to Trump being bad eight years after the fact, when his opponent has shown himself to be worse by almost every metric? I'll grant you that he didn't deserve to die from an aneurysm, I'd much rather he'd taken a vacation in balmy Gaza City instead.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

SplitSoul posted:

I'll grant you that he didn't deserve to die from an aneurysm

Which was the extent of my sympathy and original point. I genuinely don't care whether he lives or dies, and simply added the point about denouncing Trump for flavor.

I told you to grow up because celebrating the untimely death of a relatively inconsequential politician (unless directly caused by their own hubris) is not something I would expect an adult person to do.

writing that out makes me realize it sounds like a tone-policing lib sentiment so I guess I'll have to sit with that for a little while

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

jeebus bob posted:

I told you to grow up because celebrating the untimely death of a relatively inconsequential politician (unless directly caused by their own hubris) is not something I would expect an adult person to do.

You're free to do as you like, but refusing to performatively shed tears for a contemptible shithead is not the same as celebrating. It's been wall-to-wall coverage of "Søren Pape was a good and decent man" since Saturday, I'm just using his own words to illustrate that it really wasn't the case. He also constantly exploited his ex-husband's purported religion to promote Islamophobia, and he more or less single-handedly saved the gently caress-the-poor-party from total obscurity, so I'd hardly call him inconsequential.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dying from a brain aneurysm at 52 is a tragedy, especially since it can just hit you out of the blue with no warning.

Didn't like the guy or his party at all, but no one* deserves to just be snuffed out like that.

* Very few people

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I can't really read the Danish quotes, but from what I'm hearing about this guy I kinda think he might have deserved what he got? Not from a retribution standpoint either, but from a "dead men can't do further harm" standpoint.

Like from a Swedish standpoint, if e.g. Jimmie Åkesson or Ebba Busch died in a similar manner I honestly do think I'd be cheering.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
"Leader of the conservative party in a scandinavian country" is really all you need to know to understand that yes, he deserved to suddenly drop dead at 52.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

For various global politicians and not fictional Canadians.

I believe life is to be celebrated. Occasionally, when it ends.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

Dying from a brain aneurysm at 52 is a tragedy, especially since it can just hit you out of the blue with no warning.

Didn't like the guy or his party at all, but no one* deserves to just be snuffed out like that.

* Very few people

Yeah, like I said, I would've rather he'd got to experience Gaza first-hand to witness exactly how well Israel stays within the boundaries of international law.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I wonder how things went at Bæredygtigt Landbrugs (farmers association) general assembly last week

Altinget posted:

Arrangementets helt store gæst er økonomiprofessor Michael Svarer, som også uofficielt lægger navn til den nyligt præsenterede ekspertrapport om en CO2e-afgift på landbruget.

"Inden du kom, sad vi og snakkede om, at du egentlig er modig. Havde det nu været 1824, så havde vi i formiddag været ved at bygge en galge ude bagved," siger landmand Holger Iversen til Michael Svarer efter oplægget.

Altinget posted:

Et medlem foreslår, at de omtrent 400, der er til stede i salen melder sig ind i Danmarks Naturfredningsforening og "får den lukket." Et andet medlem bakker op og fremhæver, at han udelukkende er medlem af provokation.

Altinget posted:

"Maria Reumert Gjerding (præsident i Danmarks Naturfredningsforening, red.) ser altid så glad ud. Hvad med at invitere hende til vores sommermøder? For vi skal eddermaneme have skovlen under hende," lyder det fra samme medlem.

Tidligere godsejer Jens Haubroe stemmer i.

"Det med at invitere hende til et sommermøde er en rigtig god idé. Jeg vil foreslå, at man holder mødet et sted, hvor der er en voldgrav med stejle kanter," siger han, og salen bryder ud i højlydt latter.

Fem minutter senere udråbes selvsamme Jens Haubroe til æresmedlem af Bæredygtigt Landbrug. Han inviteres op på scenen, giver formanden hånd og holder en takketale.

article :shepface:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Yup, that's what I expect from farmers. In Slesvig-Holsten farmers regularly fly Landvolks flags.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Aren't Danish farmers mostly people who own vast estates and hires other people to do the actual farming?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Anders posted:

Aren't Danish farmers mostly people who own vast estates and hires other people to do the actual farming?

Jens Haubroe (the one giving the thinly-veiled death threat to Maria Gjerding) used to own a 1000 hectare estate which he sold to his daughter for 114 million kr earlier this year.

So, yes.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jesus Herbert Christ II, Esq., those fuckers deserve to be drowned in pig manure.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Jesus Herbert Christ II, Esq., those fuckers deserve to be drowned in pig manure.

That, incidentally, is close to their plan, just on a national level.
But yeah, those farmers who are active members in Bæredygtigt Landbrug are living in an alternate reality. Straight up climate deniers.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

An amazing idea! I never thought that I would ever give full and enthusiastic support for something Jimmie said. This is exactly what we need to fix all of our problems!

The only question that remains is...when are we sending away all the political whores that sold out Swedish welfare to the highest bidder and the capitalists that are exploiting it for private gain?

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Jack Trades posted:

An amazing idea! I never thought that I would ever give full and enthusiastic support for something Jimmie said. This is exactly what we need to fix all of our problems!

The only question that remains is...when are we sending away all the political whores that sold out Swedish welfare to the highest bidder and the capitalists that are exploiting it for private gain?

Fast dom är jo rike(t)?

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Jack Trades posted:

I didn't know jimmie yearned to join his peoples in south america, canada or florida. maybe he'll have the fortune of getting a standing ovation by the canadian parliament one day.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

After initially repudiating material support of genocide among its supporting organizations, Copenhagen Pride has now decided that LGBT rights and genocide support can co-exist. It's what Søren Pape Poulsen would've wanted, probably.

https://nyheder.tv2.dk/samfund/2024-03-07-copenhagen-pride-laegger-sig-fladt-ned-efter-massiv-kritik

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Jack Trades posted:

”Att rösta på oppositionen är att rösta mot rikets intressen”, there I’ve verbalised the obvious anti-democratic implication in 10 words.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Today is the official "reminder that the men's day is 19th november" day.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

English-speaking people don't call it Kvindernes Internationale Kampdag, which is a pity.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

English-speaking people don't call it Kvindernes Internationale Kampdag, which is a pity.

My Ukrainian coworker makes a big deal out of giving his wife flowers and getting the boss to tell the woman Ukrainian employees that they're appreciated. I think the Soviets neutered it even more. You're supposed to be angry at patriarchy today (and all days)!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

BonHair posted:

My Ukrainian coworker makes a big deal out of giving his wife flowers and getting the boss to tell the woman Ukrainian employees that they're appreciated. I think the Soviets neutered it even more. You're supposed to be angry at patriarchy today (and all days)!

Nah it's not just Ukraine. I was surprised that when my wife studied at an international school in Denmark, March 8 was "Every Female Student Gets a Rose Day". That was it. A very watered down messaging that men should appreciate women in general once per year. Not a single word about gender inequality etc.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pro-Palestinian protesters shouted Mette Frederiksen out of KVINFOs March 8 event. :lmao:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

On a lighter subject:

I was chatting with a Dane over beers, and we got on the subject of mead. I mentioned that it didn't seem super popular in Copenhagen and I only found some in Magasin du Nord which was obviously pricey but alright.

"Oh, any mjød that has Yggdrasil or a Viking ship on the label is gonna be mediocre"

"Yeah, so what would you recommend"

"Try buying online from Mjødgard, they're pretty good"

"...they have Yggdrasil on the label"

"Do they? Whoops"

What is the good Scandi mead I should buy? Online or not

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I really enjoy this one but it's pretty fruity.

https://www.vinmonopolet.no/Land/Norge/Viken/Bringeb%C3%A6rlandets-Mj%C3%B8d/p/11916402

Not sure it's available across the pond though.

This one was a pleasant surprise, but it's proper sparkling, so the feel is way different than other meads.

https://www.vinmonopolet.no/Land/Danmark/Underfundig-Sparkling-Mj%C3%B8d/p/16521201

Other than those two, none of the other meads I've tried have really stood out enough to remember. I know Valhalla Mjød is the one mead most Winemonopolies in Norway stock, but I've never been a big fan.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

NihilCredo posted:

On a lighter subject:

I was chatting with a Dane over beers, and we got on the subject of mead. I mentioned that it didn't seem super popular in Copenhagen and I only found some in Magasin du Nord which was obviously pricey but alright.

"Oh, any mjød that has Yggdrasil or a Viking ship on the label is gonna be mediocre"

"Yeah, so what would you recommend"

"Try buying online from Mjødgard, they're pretty good"

"...they have Yggdrasil on the label"

"Do they? Whoops"

What is the good Scandi mead I should buy? Online or not

Make your own. No, I'm not joking

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Nice piece of fish posted:

Make your own. No, I'm not joking

this is literally true. for some reason commercial meaderies are extremely inconsistent

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I've had mead exactly once and it just tasted like watered down honey with a dash of vodka.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Nthing make your own. My partner does and it’s far better than anything commercial, those always taste like pennies to me.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The Danish meads I've tried have been mediocre. I'd recommend going for a Polish one if you don't fancy making your own, they have some great stuff.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mymla posted:

I've had mead exactly once and it just tasted like watered down honey with a dash of vodka.

This is like saying you don't like burgers after going to McDonald's once. And I also don't like mead, because it's too sweet and not enough other stuff. Maybe I could find something flowery to try sometime though?

Also, drinking mead is considered an offence to Brygger Jacobsen, Inventor of Modern Beer.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
In svenskfinland we redefined mead to be the same as the finnish Sima. Which is much faster to make.
https://www.tasteline.com/recept/finsk-sima-till-valborg/

This recipe forgets the bottle of beer which you also pour into the bucket. We always make a 10l bucket every May 1st.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

BonHair posted:

And I also don't like mead, because it's too sweet and not enough other stuff.

There is such a thing as dry mead, but my preference is a balance below what you'd normally think of as desert wine.

Here's a spicy mead, metheglin. Christmas flavours (cinnamon, allspice, cloves, orange zest), mildly sweet, stored minimum 1 year before consumption.

I recommend you make an ancient orange mead as your first mead, it's very easy, low effort and a great intro into basic sterilization and sanitation practices (which you should always follow regardless of what the recipe says). Then post in the homebrew thread about it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/joes-ancient-orange-mead.49106/

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Except if you want it kinda dry, don't use bread yeast, use a wine yeast or better yet, be a badass and use lalvin 71b (you can order this for dirt cheap into your mailbox, use the power of the internet).

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
It's gonna be loving 15% though. Excercise caution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

In svenskfinland we redefined mead to be the same as the finnish Sima. Which is much faster to make.
https://www.tasteline.com/recept/finsk-sima-till-valborg/

This recipe forgets the bottle of beer which you also pour into the bucket. We always make a 10l bucket every May 1st.
This sounds awesome and I can absolutely nag my partner to make some. Though pray tell, how much beer and what type?

Don’t ask me how but today I learned that Finnish immigrants to the US in the 1900s faced discrimination and the whole “you’re not really white” bullshit as well. I thought the sentiment in Sweden was loving ridiculous.