Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm pretty sure the lock screen widget is for the "hey siri, wake me up at 6am" alarm and not the sleep schedule alarms. The sleep schedule alarm is shown below my widgets on my sleep lock screen:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

After my 2:45pm alarm went off yesterday the widget started showing my morning wake up time and my alarm went off as expected this morning.

This is definitely a case of :iiam:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

iOS 17.4 is out!

"This update introduces new emoji, transcripts in Apple Podcasts and includes other features, bug fixes, and security updates for your iPhone."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Next thing the EU should fine Apple for is their garbage patch notes.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

xzzy posted:

Next thing the EU should fine Apple for is their garbage patch notes.

Open the change log in EU and you get a long list on what it's now unlocked. People with tech illiterate family members, enjoy your last days before alternative storefronts and web browsers will start providing the full android experience.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Well that's weird. My phone just asked me if I wanted to set a 15 minute timer. I DO want to set one cause I just put something in the oven. Tim Apple knows me so well.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Well that's weird. My phone just asked me if I wanted to set a 15 minute timer. I DO want to set one cause I just put something in the oven. Tim Apple knows me so well.

Yeah if you're setting timers at around the same time every day you'll get auto shortcuts around that time. I get asked about starting a 3-minute timer most lunchtimes.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Rageaholic posted:

iOS 17.4 is out!

"This update introduces new emoji, transcripts in Apple Podcasts and includes other features, bug fixes, and security updates for your iPhone."

Finally

🍋‍🟩🍋‍🟩🍋‍🟩

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
"This update makes your iPhone even MORE awesome."

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

"This update makes your iPhone even MORE awesome."

:hellyeah:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Zero One posted:

Finally

🍋‍🟩🍋‍🟩🍋‍🟩

I'm guessing this will show up as a lime after I update? Right now it's a lemon and a green square.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm guessing this will show up as a lime after I update? Right now it's a lemon and a green square.

🙂‍↕️🙂‍↕️🙂‍↕️

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

okay dunk on 17.4 all you want but they added Apple Card transaction import support to budgeting apps

no more emailing your statements to copilot every month

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's always wild in betas when ancient rear end bugs come back up again. My phone just relentlessly playing random music when it connects to any bluetooth or plugged in to carplay again.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Raymond T. Racing posted:

okay dunk on 17.4 all you want but they added Apple Card transaction import support to budgeting apps

no more emailing your statements to copilot every month

Yeah this is years overdue. It sucked entering transactions into YNAB like a caveman.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Rick posted:

It's always wild in betas when ancient rear end bugs come back up again. My phone just relentlessly playing random music when it connects to any bluetooth or plugged in to carplay again.

It's not random, it's "California (There Is No End to Love)"

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Zero One posted:

Finally

🍋‍🟩🍋‍🟩🍋‍🟩

lol, it's just lemon + green
i'm curious what the breaking chain looks like ⛓️‍💥

e: holy poo poo it's chain + explosion

Mr. Fix It fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 6, 2024

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

🙂‍↕️🙂‍↕️🙂‍↕️

:lol: the yes nodding is a happy face with an up and down arrow

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Some tech nerd on the Unicode committee is very pleased with himself.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
🐦‍🔥 ‍ 🍋‍🟩

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I left my airpod pro 2 charging overnight on my magsafe charger and woke up to it being really warm. the earbuds toasted my ears when i put them in lol. wtf

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah apple has not got this usb c thing down 100%. All kinds of weird behaviors and heat issues that happen once or twice a month for me while being completely fine the other 95% of the time.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It seems ridiculous that Apple Podcasts is built into the OS and so the transcripts are part of an iOS update.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

smackfu posted:

It seems ridiculous that Apple Podcasts is built into the OS and so the transcripts are part of an iOS update.

Yeah I hate how music on the phone itself is only accessible through Music which has just gotten shittier and shittier over time. At least with podcasts one has options.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I have updated my OS and now I can see the lime emoji. I think it’s too yellow.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Podcast transcripts is almost tempting me to try the official app again. I’ve been using Overcast for years for its great Smart Speed that doesn’t sound unnatural. Does the official app have this stuff yet?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Dogen posted:

Yeah I hate how music on the phone itself is only accessible through Music

I have good news for you: there’s lots of apps that can play your local music. Cs Music Pro, Marvis Pro, Decoupled, etc.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I left my airpod pro 2 charging overnight on my magsafe charger and woke up to it being really warm. the earbuds toasted my ears when i put them in lol. wtf

When I place them on the bottom of my belkin triple charger they get warm, but not usually when I MagSafe them to my phone one. I have normal AirPods.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Kalman posted:

I have good news for you: there’s lots of apps that can play your local music. Cs Music Pro, Marvis Pro, Decoupled, etc.

Huh. Well, shows what I get for not investigating the matter any time recently

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is there a way to have Siri understand/respond to 2 languages? The Siri options seems to only let me do 1.

E: my use case is I just saw a word/subtitle in a foreign language on the tv, and I speak this language but didn't know the word. I tried to say "[in other language] hey siri what does x mean in English" and it didn't work because it thought I was speaking English but the transcription was nonsense.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 10, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

You might try to be more technical in your request, like “hey siri, translate the <language> word <word> into English.”

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Just install the ChatGPT app and use its voice mode. It runs circles around Siri.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

Just install the ChatGPT app and use its voice mode. It runs circles around Siri.

How do you know it’s telling the truth though?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

tuyop posted:

How do you know it’s telling the truth though?

It’s 2024, man. Nobody and nothing tells the truth.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

When I go camping I put my phone in the pocket on the wall of the tent and it absolutely demolishes the battery every time. (It's not even cold! Overnight minimum 13° Celsius) One day I will remember not to do this.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

If you're camping in a spot with poor service (I mean, hopefully), it could just be the modem trying really, really hard to connect to towers.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

maduin posted:

It’s 2024, man. Nobody and nothing tells the truth.

hosed up if true.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Pretty sure it's the signal quality yep. I let my home drop down to like 10 C in the winters because I legitimately hate being "hot" and everything above 10 is warm to me, so I just don't use the heaters unless I really have to. Never had to charge my phone during the day.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
one of my kid's friends has an iphone 4 (model A1332) that is locked at the "iPhone is disabled connect to iTunes" screen.

This is from an era that's before I even had one so I'm unfamiliar... is there a way to unlock it without just resetting it? He doesn't remember the password but I didn't know being so old if there was something I could exploit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a way to have Siri understand/respond to 2 languages? The Siri options seems to only let me do 1.

E: my use case is I just saw a word/subtitle in a foreign language on the tv, and I speak this language but didn't know the word. I tried to say "[in other language] hey siri what does x mean in English" and it didn't work because it thought I was speaking English but the transcription was nonsense.

It's a bit of a workaround but doesn't use Siri: install the DeepL translation app- it's far, far more accurate than google translate. https://www.deepl.com/translator