Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
What are some good recent “play it and take notes” style adventure games - I replayed submachine legacy and really got in to it, but the devs previous steam release slice of sea hasn’t really grabbed me so far.

Bonus points for a cool constructed language, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Obra Dinn isn't exactly what you're asking for, but does have a sit-and-think-about-it gameplan. It's a thread favorite for a reason.

I'm assuming you want something like Myst meets Grim Fandango, which is not really a style that's popular anymore.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I've heard notes are mandatory for the La-Mulana games.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I refuse to believe that any person actually beat La-Mulana without pulling in outside aid. Truely astounding levels of bullshit 'puzzles'.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I got very close to the end of La Mulana without help but one of the puzzles near the end even with help I don't fully understand. I haven't played a ton of La Mulana 2 but it seems much less obtuse in general. I still loved up to what I figured out in the first game tho and would still recommend it.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

tinaun posted:

What are some good recent “play it and take notes” style adventure games - I replayed submachine legacy and really got in to it, but the devs previous steam release slice of sea hasn’t really grabbed me so far.

The puzzle game thread went crazy for the recently released game, Epigraph, where translating Cuneiform is just the beginning https://store.steampowered.com/app/2789770/Epigraph/

Tunic has options that remove all the difficulty from the combat leaving it a pure exploration and translation game

Inkle's Overboard is a nice little knotty problem of a game where you have to pay close attention to NPC behaviour and routine

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

tinaun posted:

Shadows of Doubt needs a lot of notes.

this is not what you meant

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Please Don't Touch Anything is a brain puzzler, too. I still haven't gotten all the endings.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Goon game The Roottrees are Dead is another where taking notes is very helpful and let's you do so in game

You can play for free on itch or wait to pay for the premium Steam version

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I think I'm too old for Nioh 2. I'm getting a hang of the controls and have the 2nd boss down - Enenra? - but I'm looking the inventory and just rolling my eyes at how unnecessary everything is. All of these systems are just so exhausting and almost seem to detract from the core gameplay loop of killing random dudes and weird yokai.

Edit: main boss and miniboss fights have been a ton of fun so far

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Propaganda Hour posted:

I think I'm too old for Nioh 2. I'm getting a hang of the controls and have the 2nd boss down - Enenra? - but I'm looking the inventory and just rolling my eyes at how unnecessary everything is. All of these systems are just so exhausting and almost seem to detract from the core gameplay loop of killing random dudes and weird yokai.

Edit: main boss and miniboss fights have been a ton of fun so far

Just ignore all the gear and only update the big number occasionally.
All the stats are there for post-game and are too small to do anything on your first playthrough.

Team Ninja games are great but they loving love diablo loot and you really need to ignore it until post-game to not get bogged down.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

team ninja would probably benefit from just having extremely basic as gently caress loot for NG and saving all of the proper diablo loot for NG+ onward so people can stop bitching about it and the real sickos can enjoy loot grinding

im sickos

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ShadowMar posted:

team ninja would probably benefit from just having extremely basic as gently caress loot for NG and saving all of the proper diablo loot for NG+ onward so people can stop bitching about it and the real sickos can enjoy loot grinding

im sickos

They solved that issue eventually in Stranger of Paradise by giving you an Auto-Equip button that will look through the gear for you so you literally never have to touch the gear system until post-game.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Jack Trades posted:

They solved that issue eventually in Stranger of Paradise by giving you an Auto-Equip button that will look through the gear for you so you literally never have to touch the gear system until post-game.

auto-equip didn't stop people from bitching about it then either despite it working exactly like you said lol

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Runa posted:

Alpha Centauri owns because when you research new technologies, you're not getting a little fluff blurb about history, you're getting snippets of a number of different narratives illustrating the advancement of humankind into a new stage of existence and some of it is so unsettling it makes the insane christian fundie lady look reasonable. And the faction leaders are all characters with their own personality and perspectives, and the tech blurbs are all narrated by them. It's genuinely speculative fiction in your sci-fi videogame and I have yet to find another 4x game that even tries to come close.

sorry I have to kool aid through the wall every time this discussion comes up and say that endless legend is the only true and good spiritual successor to alpha centauri

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Chadzok posted:

sorry I have to kool aid through the wall every time this discussion comes up and say that endless legend is the only true and good spiritual successor to alpha centauri

How? I've played Endless Legend and bounced off it for some reason. I never thought to compare it to Alpha Centauri.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

tinaun posted:

Roadwarden, especially since only one of the characters can actually read

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

credburn posted:

How? I've played Endless Legend and bounced off it for some reason. I never thought to compare it to Alpha Centauri.

It's a very vibes-bases thing, but the asymmetry, distinctiveness and personality of the factions gives you echoes of SMAC's factions and leaders (I feel like it's a natural evolution from SMAC to make the factions play so radically different).

They both emphasise the plotline in gameplay ways that make them satisfying once-off single player experiences as well as being repeatable (the factions in Endless Legend almost demand at least one playthrough each). They both share that sense of a growing, seemingly inevitable ecological catastrophe.

Auriga is totes drawing on Planet as well, both games are well in front of any other 4X I've played in having the environment almost (I mean literally in SMAC) be a character in the game/plot.

Research/technologies also felt like they were taking the example that SMAC laid out, using them as a place to inject lore, personality, drama into the game. Both really capture an epochal, evolving science fiction, new insights laying the grounds for insane later technologies that seem internally coherent and logically consistent, and fuckin cool.

They also share poo poo redundant unit customisation and combat systems that really need to be rethought.

I'll take other thoughts but I think it's pretty clear to people who played and loved both that there is a strong link there.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Mar 10, 2024

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I can see it, I suppose.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Huh yeah. Alright.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I guess I know what I'll be doing with my 4X time once I'm done winning Civ5 with all nations :unsmith:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

tinaun posted:

If you don't mind some action, too, then Tunic

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Chadzok posted:

It's a very vibes-bases thing, but the asymmetry, distinctiveness and personality of the factions gives you echoes of SMAC's factions and leaders (I feel like it's a natural evolution from SMAC to make the factions play so radically different).

They both emphasise the plotline in gameplay ways that make them satisfying once-off single player experiences as well as being repeatable (the factions in Endless Legend almost demand at least one playthrough each). They both share that sense of a growing, seemingly inevitable ecological catastrophe.

Auriga is totes drawing on Planet as well, both games are well in front of any other 4X I've played in having the environment almost (I mean literally in SMAC) be a character in the game/plot.

Research/technologies also felt like they were taking the example that SMAC laid out, using them as a place to inject lore, personality, drama into the game. Both really capture an epochal, evolving science fiction, new insights laying the grounds for insane later technologies that seem internally coherent and logically consistent, and fuckin cool.

They also share poo poo redundant unit customisation and combat systems that really need to be rethought.

I'll take other thoughts but I think it's pretty clear to people who played and loved both that there is a strong link there.

Never really cared much about it before, but you have just sold me on Endless Legends.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Chadzok posted:

okay, I'll reinstall Endless Legends again and then not play it, again

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

tinaun posted:

Have you tried the Rusty Lake games? Not exactly the same thing as Submachine but pretty good.

I would start with Cube Escape Collection

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Jossar posted:

In what was apparently a choice to not have this be a Next Fest Demo...

Escape The Mad Empire is a party-based tactical RPG, dungeon-crawling roguelike, that operates on a real time with pause system and uh...

Wait a minute. A lot of party-based RPGs these days have real time with pause combat, often involving environmental effects and even corruption mechanics. What exactly is the draw here?

The standard argument, which I have made before, is that sometimes people just know what they like in a genre and want more of it. But on further inspection that doesn't seem to quite hold up for Escape The Mad Empire? I think this is meant for people who like the tactical gameplay in a lot of those RPGs but don't want it to be attached to a several-dozen hour long storyline. Which is weird, because most of the complaints I hear about those games are how by the time you're 50 hours in, the story remains interesting but with the exception of certain setpieces the combat has long outstayed its welcome - either becoming incredibly tedious or incredibly murderous. Escape The Mad Empire seems to do what it promises well, but I'm not sure how it's going to overcome that problem except by offering you less content. But maybe it really will deliver a tighter experience in smaller bites.

EDIT: I saw comparisons to Aarklash: Legacy being floated around, if that means anything to people with more experience in this subsection of the genre?

So it turns out that Escape The Mad Empire has decided to follow up their post-NextFest demo with a fuller playtest. If anybody was interested in that and wanted to see more of the game, it's available now upon requesting access on Steam.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

hopefully the street cred gets even more subscribers to my newsletter. I also played every DLC thoroughly and all the ones that add factions, if you're playing for primarily that one playthrough for lore reasons and not multiplayer or whatever, are at least as good quality as the base game and a few are better. An extremely, extremely creative team that has taken two dramatic missteps into Endless Space 2 and Humankind but I'll forgive them knowing that the practice will help make the eventual Endless Legend 2 loving top notch.

But please, someone tell them to add a simplified, abstracted combat system or something cool. like a quick Into the Breach-esque or chess type matchup. be creative. bring something new to civ-style 4x, make combat a compelling mini game in its own right. but keep it brief, like a HoMaM battle length.

Now don't get me started on Dungeon of the Endless - not the new one. Not the new one, with the infuriating country versions of the OG's incredible chiptune ambient horror masterpiece soundtrack. The pixel art, stripped down, viciously hard and mechanically fascinating original.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 10, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I must be the only person who likes combat systems in Endless Space and Legends because they're unintrusive and don't make me constantly alternate between two completely different games while still giving me the satisfaction of showing my military forces in action.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'd like an Endless Legend 2, but it's gonna be a little difficult, lore-wise.

It also seems that not a lot of people are playing it these days, unfortunately.

But I do agree it would be very nice to get another quirky inventive asymmetrical fantasy 4X game like Endless Legend.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEU04KxQpuw

I mean, put this on headphones when you lay down to sleep and see where it takes you. The composer of all the Endless Games is an amazing talent. He mains harp I believe. I think the Dungeon songs were all played on real instruments and then chiptunified or something. I could be making that up. Listen to all the soundtracks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also, I loving love the concept behind Umbral Choir from Endless Space 2 and I have never seen another game that has a "parasite" race that plays like that.
It's so loving cool and unique.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

Also, I loving love the concept behind Umbral Choir from Endless Space 2 and I have never seen another game that has a "parasite" race that plays like that.
It's so loving cool and unique.

I'll subtract my harsh statement about endless space 2. for the lore playthroughs it was great, just the game itself was not as strong as Endless Legend.

Humankind can get in the bin. Civilization 6 took lessons and inspiration from Endless Legend and made them mainstream and then Amplitude score the own goal of making a game more like Civilisation, a loreless mess about real boring people. Lean into your strengths, get back to Auriga and get weird.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Damnit, the Endless Legend DLC I don't have isn't on sale....

At least Endless Space 2's DLC is!

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/18697/ENDLESS_Space_2_Definitive_Edition/

15$ to finish my collection, yoink.

Also:

Age of Mythology: completed the tutorial campaign and first mission of the Atlantis campaign and hmm based on how our hero is leaving his son home at Atlantis while they're losing Poseidon's favor, I think I smell a tragedy in the making.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I wish Humankind played as cool as the artwork of Humankind looks…

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Read 'humankind can get in the bin' and it took me a while to realize Humankind was a game

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

fez_machine posted:

The puzzle game thread went crazy for the recently released game, Epigraph, where translating Cuneiform is just the beginning https://store.steampowered.com/app/2789770/Epigraph/

This is misleading, you absolutely do not need to translate Cuneiform - that part is already translated into English for you.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

tinaun posted:

Chants of Sennaar if you're looking for a point-and-click adventure game.

La-Mulana 1 and 2 if you're Catholic and wanna shave a couple years of Purgatory.

Serephina posted:

I refuse to believe that any person actually beat La-Mulana without pulling in outside aid. Truely astounding levels of bullshit 'puzzles'.

Mr E posted:

I got very close to the end of La Mulana without help but one of the puzzles near the end even with help I don't fully understand. I haven't played a ton of La Mulana 2 but it seems much less obtuse in general. I still loved up to what I figured out in the first game tho and would still recommend it.
I've played and beaten both and yeah, La-Mulana 2 is far more approachable and better about signalling what you're supposed to do.

The first third of La-Mulana, anyone can beat without a guide. The second third, if you take good notes and you're willing to experiment, can be tackled similarly, though there are a few trouble spots. The last third, well, it's technically possible. Someone else in this thread managed it, as did someone on Youtube, but boy howdy, not me, and not most human beings.

By contrast, I only needed to consult a guide four times total across the whole of La-Mulana 2, and that last one I probably could've managed if I hadn't been impatient to finally beat the game and move on with my life.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

:thunk:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Presumably those studios have other games that fit the genre?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Stunlock definitely doesn't, as much as I love them I have no idea why they're involved in the sale lol