Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

A tradesperson saying they don’t get online advertising is actually a green flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Got a question for Motronic and others...

Our house was built in 2019. In true Florida-new-development fashion, no gutters. We had them installed in 2020, 6" gutters and the 4"x5" downspouts. When it rains hard (which....it's Florida; it's a daily occurrence in summer), water shoots over the garage and has pretty much removed all locking sand on our paver driveway. Over the tallest part of the house, water just comes straight down from the gutter, splashing into a mulch bed and loving spreading dirt and poo poo ALL over the lanai - every single time it rains.

I had another company out to look at the problem areas, and I need a bullshit check. He said that the 6" gutters are insufficient for a tile roof, it needs to be 7". I'm not sure that makes sense, as there's only two problem areas, representing maybe 20% of the total gutter run. He also said the gutters are hung too low, which I can agree.

Initial install cost was $2500 (November 2020, the height of Covid fuckery). This guys is quoting $4600.

ETA: Water is the enemy, I want this poo poo away from the house

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I mean, there's a calculation for that and yeah, it sounds like they gutters are under-sized. I don't know jack about tile roofs being from the great frozen north but I can surmise they shed water real drat fast like a metal roof. This is all part of the calculator, as well as the design criteria for max precipitation. Going "I bet you need them exactly one more everywhere" sounds like bullshit to me, when for the actual calculation you need dimensions, roof pitch, etc and you may need to change the size of the downspout to accommodate. And this is probably only necessary in some sections where you are having a problem.

I wouldn't accept a quote/recomendation from someone who can't show their work. This isn't rocet science and I bet you can google up a calcuator from an industry source or ag school and do the calcs yourself.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Put a rock in the bottom of your gutter downspout. Or like, 4-5 small ones. Something to make the water flow and not shoot.

Also water flooding out the stuff near your downspout is simply a thing in Florida. Replace the mulch with rocks. Like quarter sized gravel will look nicer and not blow away. Direct the water away from the bricks or use mortar where it's closest to the downspout.

I don't see why a tile roof matters, if you have water not going down your gutters because it's a different type of roof... Where is it going? Or do you mean it's sheet over your lateral gutters? At inches-per-hour levels it's not being slowed materially by asphalt, it's sheeting over it. I assume. Either way too low is something you can test - at the worst problem areas stick a sheet of something rigid to give you a bit more lip on the outside edge. Make sure you keep an eye on it - if it clogs that water is going under your roof. Something like acrylic or sheet metal.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 8, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
It just goes slower I imagine is what they are thinking?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 8, 2024

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Abyss posted:

I've gotten 5 estimates for tree trimming, all have the required insurance. I'm not getting Chuck and a truck to come and trim branches that are over my roof. The prices vary wildly, though, and reviews are scarce for tree trimming in this area. The job is to trim 3 pecan trees with branches overhanging the roof, 1 pecan tree that needs to be cleaned up, 1 stump removed & grinded, 1 stump grinded.

$3800: This company is the largest in the area, uses the local university branding, does a walk around estimate. Charges $75 for an arborist to come and talk to you for an hour if you don't like the walkaround. 4.6 with 51 reviews
$2500: Guy walked around my property with me, described what limbs to cut and what not to. Sounded like he knew what he was talking about. $2000 for the trees, $500 for the stumps. 4.9 average for 17 reviews.
$1965: The estimate was done by a certified arborist, determined what needed to be done by my descriptions. Three 5 star reviews, one 1 star review.
$800: I walked around describing what I wanted trimmed and the guy was very receptive. He also pointed out that my catalpa tree was likely 80% dead and that it needed to be removed (the previous residents crowned it, other estimators mentioned this). He also told me to cut the chicken wire that was wound around another pecan tree. He quoted $800 for the entire job including removing the dead tree. He told me he's been doing this as a side job for years and just started doing it full-time this year. Talked about his equipment, 150 lbs tension robes, renting a lift if he needs to, he has a crew, etc. Said some companies don't get insured or let theirs lapse, his premium was $1800/year. Lamented figuring out the online advertising game. Four 5 star reviews (most recent was Jan 2024), one 1 star review in 2012.
$725: She listened to my description of what needed to be done and assessed that it was less than a half day's work. Told me that some companies want you to pay for their kids' college. Told me her insurance was $2 mill comprehensive. When I mentioned taking out the tree, she said $1925 for the trimming and taking out the tree. One hundred and fifty reviews to average 4.9 stars.

Thoughts? The dead tree is far enough away that if it lands on anything it's going to be grass or concrete. Obviously, you don't want to skimp on tree trimming services or removal services. I guess I'm questioning the really good deal of $800 to trim everything and take the tree out, unless he needs word of mouth to help expand his business.

At one point I ended up using the company the town contracts with to do stuff. I didn't really know it at the time, but maybe that's an option for you? Call up the town and see who they use

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

devicenull posted:

At one point I ended up using the company the town contracts with to do stuff. I didn't really know it at the time, but maybe that's an option for you? Call up the town and see who they use

Where I live the city and their main arborist contact appear to be very much in cahoots, to the point where other tree services are suing both.

So... Make sure your city is on the up-and-up before just using their person?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Motronic posted:

I mean, there's a calculation for that and yeah, it sounds like they gutters are under-sized. I don't know jack about tile roofs being from the great frozen north but I can surmise they shed water real drat fast like a metal roof. This is all part of the calculator, as well as the design criteria for max precipitation. Going "I bet you need them exactly one more everywhere" sounds like bullshit to me, when for the actual calculation you need dimensions, roof pitch, etc and you may need to change the size of the downspout to accommodate. And this is probably only necessary in some sections where you are having a problem.

I wouldn't accept a quote/recomendation from someone who can't show their work. This isn't rocet science and I bet you can google up a calcuator from an industry source or ag school and do the calcs yourself.

Definitely going to get a second opinion. And if I do go with 7" gutters, I only want them on the independent runs that are problem areas today. There is no reason to replace functional ones.

H110Hawk posted:

Put a rock in the bottom of your gutter downspout. Or like, 4-5 small ones. Something to make the water flow and not shoot.

Also water flooding out the stuff near your downspout is simply a thing in Florida. Replace the mulch with rocks. Like quarter sized gravel will look nicer and not blow away. Direct the water away from the bricks or use mortar where it's closest to the downspout.

I don't see why a tile roof matters, if you have water not going down your gutters because it's a different type of roof... Where is it going? Or do you mean it's sheet over your lateral gutters? At inches-per-hour levels it's not being slowed materially by asphalt, it's sheeting over it. I assume. Either way too low is something you can test - at the worst problem areas stick a sheet of something rigid to give you a bit more lip on the outside edge. Make sure you keep an eye on it - if it clogs that water is going under your roof. Something like acrylic or sheet metal.

The downpouts aren't really the problem (though they terminate too close; I'm getting extensions to rectify that). Tile roofs can be an issue because they basically create funnels for the water vs. an asphalt shingle roof that spreads it around. I only have one problem channel (the one over the garage) and I think just lifting the gutters higher would allow the gutter splash guard to cut it down. Even better would be something to diffuse the water across a few channels

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Omne posted:

Tile roofs can be an issue because they basically create funnels for the water vs. an asphalt shingle roof that spreads it around. I only have one problem channel (the one over the garage) and I think just lifting the gutters higher would allow the gutter splash guard to cut it down. Even better would be something to diffuse the water across a few channels

I didn't think about that and the sounds even worse. There must be specific design criteria for this - the are too many tile roofs for there not to be. It's just not a thing in my climate.

Perhaps calling gutter people is going to give you gutter answers, but calling a roofer who does tile work will get you a different kind of answer, or a combination of things.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Random question since we're in the brainstorming period of "turn our basement into a bar": we don't have working plumbing for a sink where we want the bar, don't want to deal with that. I could easily rig up a bar sink with a bigass cistern underneath (unless there are other recs?) but having some kind of running water would very nice, and I have.. no idea where to even start! Could somebody point me in the right direction or give me proper terminology for like, a hand pump faucet, if that's even a thing?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Johnny Truant posted:

Random question since we're in the brainstorming period of "turn our basement into a bar": we don't have working plumbing for a sink where we want the bar, don't want to deal with that. I could easily rig up a bar sink with a bigass cistern underneath (unless there are other recs?) but having some kind of running water would very nice, and I have.. no idea where to even start! Could somebody point me in the right direction or give me proper terminology for like, a hand pump faucet, if that's even a thing?

When we moved to Wisconsin a couple years back, I was informed that we were legally required to build a bar in our basement. So I did.

I have running water on the other side of the basement (behind where that pic was taken from) for the washer and utility sink, but nothing over where the bar is. So, I have a three gallon bucket that I put restaurant sanitizer in with hot water. If we're doing a larger gathering I replace it once or twice to keep it fairly hot so it, you know, santizes. I also have a five gallon Home Depot bucket and one of these that is supposed to be used for sorting brass when you make your own reloads but also works extremely well as a psuedo-dump sink because it sits perfectly in the mouth of a five gallon bucket and keeps garnishes, straws, etc out of the liquid. Clean up involves dumping the media filter in the garbage and the bucket with liquid into the utility sink and washing it out, super easy.

I've found that stuff to be a lot easier than trying to somehow get running water over there.

Edit: Went downstairs to capture an action shot.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 9, 2024

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Beef Of Ages posted:

When we moved to Wisconsin a couple years back, I was informed that we were legally required to build a bar in our basement. So I did.

I have running water on the other side of the basement (behind where that pic was taken from) for the washer and utility sink, but nothing over where the bar is. So, I have a three gallon bucket that I put restaurant sanitizer in with hot water. If we're doing a larger gathering I replace it once or twice to keep it fairly hot so it, you know, santizes. I also have a five gallon Home Depot bucket and one of these that is supposed to be used for sorting brass when you make your own reloads but also works extremely well as a psuedo-dump sink because it sits perfectly in the mouth of a five gallon bucket and keeps garnishes, straws, etc out of the liquid. Clean up involves dumping the media filter in the garbage and the bucket with liquid into the utility sink and washing it out, super easy.

I've found that stuff to be a lot easier than trying to somehow get running water over there.

Edit: Went downstairs to capture an action shot.

Hell yeah! I am also in Wisconsin and legally required to put a bar in my basement. I definitely was thinking of the sanitizer idea in whatever cistern/bucket setup I get.

I guess just a large pump action... thing would work for dispensing smaller amounts of water, and I probably wouldn't need too much volume anyway, just to maybe rinse things out .. hmmm!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Johnny Truant posted:

Hell yeah! I am also in Wisconsin and legally required to put a bar in my basement. I definitely was thinking of the sanitizer idea in whatever cistern/bucket setup I get.

I guess just a large pump action... thing would work for dispensing smaller amounts of water, and I probably wouldn't need too much volume anyway, just to maybe rinse things out .. hmmm!

A dunk in the sanitizer and a quick scrub with a brush I have down there for that purpose has taken care of everything I need thus far without the need for a water pump. I also have a large filtered water pitcher down there for drinking water as well.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I asked this in the house-buying thread but I guess it should better fit here.

Those of you who have done major home renovations, what renovations were really worth it in bang-for-the-buck terms, and what weren't? What upgrades do you regret and what do wish you'd put in ten years before you did?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Bathrooms were worth it. I DIY'd the hallway bath and hired someone to do the master bathroom. Those were totally worth it, especially having a nice master bathroom.

Stopping water intrusion: new roof, gutters, and a french drain was extremely worth it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Beef Of Ages posted:

A dunk in the sanitizer and a quick scrub with a brush I have down there for that purpose has taken care of everything I need thus far without the need for a water pump. I also have a large filtered water pitcher down there for drinking water as well.

Hmmm you're definitely selling me on this lol

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'll copy my response from the buying thread here:

I'm a huge fan of things that address minor but frequent inconveniences.

You can't go wrong replacing basically all of your fixed lower kitchen cabinet shelves with slide-outs. They are absurdly convenient.

I thought it would be only marginally useful but turns out Lutron's Caseta smart switches/dimmers own. Snug in bed but the bathroom light got left on? "Siri, turn the bathroom lights off." Sync up all lights in a room even on different circuits. Entryway lights automatically turn on when you drive up, etc.

I'll add in that if you have drywall it is much easier to swap an old in-wall box for a new "old-work" one than you'd think.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Those of you who have done major home renovations, what renovations were really worth it in bang-for-the-buck terms, and what weren't? What upgrades do you regret and what do wish you'd put in ten years before you did?

Heated bathroom floors, good insulation, cat6, and a cool roof were all immediate rewards.

Obviously you're not going to put on a new roof if you don't need one, but getting a roof that fits your climate needs is incredible.

Likewise I wouldn't rip up good floor tile to add heat, but I never want another bathroom without a heated floor. 65° feels so warm on a cold morning.

Proper insulation is one of the most cost effective improvements you can add to a house. You have to make sure to maintain attic ventilation so you don't cause moisture issues, though.

Having a cat6 network for work computers and streaming devices is so nice. Having it as a backbone for a WiFi mesh solves 90% of the rest of the problems.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

I'll copy my response from the buying thread here:

I'm a huge fan of things that address minor but frequent inconveniences.

You can't go wrong replacing basically all of your fixed lower kitchen cabinet shelves with slide-outs. They are absurdly convenient.

I thought it would be only marginally useful but turns out Lutron's Caseta smart switches/dimmers own. Snug in bed but the bathroom light got left on? "Siri, turn the bathroom lights off." Sync up all lights in a room even on different circuits. Entryway lights automatically turn on when you drive up, etc.

I'll add in that if you have drywall it is much easier to swap an old in-wall box for a new "old-work" one than you'd think.

Yeah this resonates with me. Like my son's bedroom has the light switch in the middle because the perimeter walls are fieldstone and just putting a Caseta remote actually at the entry/exit was such a easy to do but quality of life improvement.

I love the outlets with guidelights built in as well and have them illuminating the primary walksways of the house, so if you need to go to any bathroom or into the kitchen at night nothing is ever true pitch black.

All those little things that were first looked at as 'not a big deal' to compromise feels really good to eliminate. Cleaning/hiding wire (legally), voice activation for main TV / home audio, anything that organizes mess.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

My recomendation would be to plumb a small sink with hot and cold water - should be easy if you're already in the basement. The harder part is getting rid of the water because you need to pump it back up to celing level most likely. You use a grinder pump in a plastic crock "pit". You don't even actually have to put it in the ground, you can just leave it under the sink if you can spare the space. Something like this: https://www.septicsolutions.com/sep...ge-ejector-pump

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Wanted to share the result of my first ever wall painting attempt

Technically not finished yet, gotta do some detailing, but its good enough for now

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Is there a chair rail going in over the black line or is that where the window bulge is?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The window bulge overlaps it and definitely threw off my line a bit, hah. Its within the planned thick detailing boundary so shouldnt be visible after I finish that part - hopefully.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you stick the tape on one corner of the room, you can stretch the tape to the other corner and stick it, and have one continuous straight edge. Usually you learn this trick about 15 minutes before you're done painting your house for the first time

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Unless you have some weird super rigid tape, my experience on this wall seems to indicate that is very much not true.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I have to get one side of my house's gutters replaced and I really don't want to spend that much this year so I'm really tempted to just put up some connected sections of gutter from homedepot until I can get a real person to come out and do an actual good job. Besides leveling and sealing, is there anything in particular to watch out for in doing it the cheap way?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I got so frustrated with failing to get level tape lines I ended up getting a 360 laser level when I painted the second of several rooms

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

Unless you have some weird super rigid tape, my experience on this wall seems to indicate that is very much not true.

Maybe there's something going on with the wall I'm not understanding. I just use the standard blue 3m brand tape, stick about 3" down, then walk/unroll to the other side of the room, pull it taught and stick, then walk along it and push stick it in place properly

I also have a laser level thing, that is great my wife uses it for out photo tiles and all sorts of room decorating projects, well worth the $80 or so over the last 8 years

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yeah, gonna get a laser lecel dor for sure, they seem super useful. Also gonna straighter out the black when I do the border design so it wont have the bulge when I'm finished, and try to use some of the other tips folks have suvgested.

This was super fun though, I'm glad I enjoyed it as much as I was hoping I would and I'm excited to get better at doing it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So the part to fix my ice maker was $400. A new fridge with working ice maker was $1150. Guess who now has 3 refrigerators.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Elephanthead posted:

Guess who now has 3 refrigerators.

:blessed:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
https://a.co/d/05YXfSl

I got this for my parents when the ice maker went.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I've been browsing fridge sales for a while because we keep having water issues in our fridge we inherited from the prior owner. I wish I could get a discount for not having one with water/ice makers. I like just having a few trays and that's it.

The other fridge the prior owner left we think may have been put in the basement prior to construction finishing in 1948. What a pain to chop up and remove, thankfully the freon had all leaked out of it long ago!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

I didn't think about that and the sounds even worse.

:same:

Complete dawning realization moment.

sillyloquy
Dec 4, 2008
It's Monday. The plumber showed up at 7am to take out the 80 year old oil tank that's about to crack and turn my house into a remediation zone. My shut off valve to the water service line is slightly leaking, I'm gonna have them replace it while they're here. The city comes to turn off the water from the street aaand they broke it aaaand now they're cutting my front walkway with a concrete saw aaaand now the street is closed and a backhoe is digging up the street. The Internet guy comes but the utility pole isn't accessible so he leaves. My hotspot runs out just in time for a zoom meeting with my boss.

It's Monday. I moved in on Saturday. The toilet is running so I am going to home Depot.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You better go try and catch it

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
:pressf:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
gently caress, that's a hell of a start to a new home. You certainly beat my "got the house, locked myself out of it less than an hour later" story. Good luck, goon!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

gently caress, that's a hell of a start to a new home. You certainly beat my "got the house, locked myself out of it less than an hour later" story. Good luck, goon!

That one happened to me! I asked for a physical key on closing, seller said “we don’t have one but don’t worry, we just replaced the batteries in the keypad lock.” Folks, the keypad died on the fourth day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Lawnie posted:

That one happened to me! I asked for a physical key on closing, seller said “we don’t have one but don’t worry, we just replaced the batteries in the keypad lock.” Folks, the keypad died on the fourth day.

It's like if Tesla made houses