Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I have eaten an incredibly healthy diet over the past 30 years because of vegetarianism. For one example, think of no fast food.

This no doubt has positive health benefits in the long term for most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I don't think I've ever met anyone who demands I get involved in their brand of political activism or whatever, who espouses that we need "revolution now" and would actually be capable of starting a revolution let alone surviving one. Almost all of them get lovely if you say "you first" and give a laundry list of reasons why someone else should do it tho.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

redshirt posted:

I have eaten an incredibly healthy diet over the past 30 years because of vegetarianism. For one example, think of no fast food.

This no doubt has positive health benefits in the long term for most.

taco bell has a lot of vegetarian options

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Bad Purchase posted:

factory farming and slaughtering of livestock are one of the things that kids textbooks in 1000 years will portray as a barbaric ancient practice

just kidding, there won't be a civilization in 1000 years to judge us

Nah, if it hasn’t changed in 11000 years it ain’t gonna change until we’re gone. You may be right about no civilization in 1000 years, but my money would be on some kind of nuclear war and not so much on climate change being the cause. Humans have survived climate changes before, it might not be fun but we’ll be able to do it again.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
huh? lots of ancient customs are gone or at least no longer mainstream practices. norms change all the drat time, the only eternal element of humanity is drawing dicks on stuff

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Bad Purchase posted:

huh? lots of ancient customs are gone or at least no longer mainstream practices. norms change all the drat time, the only eternal element of humanity is drawing dicks on stuff

You ever hear the one about the dog that walked into a tavern?
HE COULDN'T SEE A THING :lol:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I wore my full Adidas tracksuit when flying.

Things were just fancier back then.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
The one thing I always forget about fast food is that it's cheap. It's not just because people want to eat garbage. It's the cheapest food you can get.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

credburn posted:

The one thing I always forget about fast food is that it's cheap. It's not just because people want to eat garbage. It's the cheapest food you can get.

not anymore its not lol

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
freakin chipotle is cheaper than burger king now, i'm losing it

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Bad Purchase posted:

Meat and veggies and water will always be what humans eat until we evolve past tastebuds and emotions and start subsiding 100% on nutrient drips supplied through our envirosuits or something.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
most of the foods we eat now didn't exist for the majority of our species time on earth, but ok

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Bad Purchase posted:

freakin chipotle is cheaper than burger king now, i'm losing it

yeah i thought it was supposed to be Budget McDonalds but I somehow spent $14 for a meal there.

Del Taco is still cheap, mercifully, but theres a lot of weirdos hanging out in both locations closest to me, so drive-thru now.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

dervival posted:

Have you considered free-range cannibalism?

Actually, some people have tried this for years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRl212Y440Q

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
I eat meat and try to eat animals that don’t live natively in my country just to pass vegans off.

Even when I was vegan I hated vegans, gently caress em.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Bad Purchase posted:

most of the foods we eat now didn't exist for the majority of our species time on earth, but ok

What did we used to eat that wasn’t a plant or animal that doesn’t exist now? Genuinely asking here, not trying to be smug or contrarian.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Robobot posted:

What did we used to eat that wasn’t a plant or animal that doesn’t exist now? Genuinely asking here, not trying to be smug or contrarian.

All of the vegetable feedstock and livestock for most of human history

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Ah! I get what they were saying now. Those are still plants and animals, but point taken. Guess we’ll just have to come back to this thread in 1000 years to see who was correct.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

The invention of the Haber Process at the turn of the 20th century means that our food is generated by fossil fuels to some degree, as it allows for the production of artificial fertiliser.

So it’s not entirely right to say “we eat a lot of fossil fuel now,” but I will say that anyway because it highlights we have been feeding ourselves through industrial processes for some time, and if we had no industrial processes we’d be in a lot of trouble

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Any future long term habitation in space will require pretty drastic changes in diet for everyone. Meat will be rare, as will certain crops.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Good, I hate an overcooked steak.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

redshirt posted:

Any future long term habitation in space will require pretty drastic changes in diet for everyone. Meat will be rare, as will certain crops.
Rare meat would be an immediate problem with modern limitations on weight. If we figure out how to not have people drop dead from radiation or aneurysms we are going to take chickens and pigs for the same reason they were indispensable on long distance sea voyages or dropping off on random islands just in case. They can eat garbage and turn failed crops or crop waste into forage and turn it into extra food.

Cutting out the conspicuous consumption that has come to be associated directly with meat consumption in the west, animals are indispensable supply chain tools until we invent a plant that can compost organic waste on its own and ooze proteins for multiple years until it's culled for even more fat and protein.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

redshirt posted:

Also, the only long-term habitation in space will be restricted to astronauts and the ultra-wealthy. The closest anyone with a sub-8-figure bank account will get to space is an afternoon on the vomit comet.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Your grandkids might be able to get a job as a poop digestion machine technician and unknowing long term habitation study on commercialized tourist or mining operations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Bustin' only occasionally makes you feel good

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

zedprime posted:

Your grandkids might be able to get a job as a poop digestion machine technician and unknowing long term habitation study on commercialized tourist or mining operations.

Yeah, if there are actual services and industry in space, there will be corresponding poorly paid workers to do the worst jobs. Rich folks ain't doing none of that.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Time_pants posted:

Also, the only long-term habitation in space will be restricted to astronauts and the ultra-wealthy. The closest anyone with a sub-8-figure bank account will get to space is an afternoon on the vomit comet.

Hard disagree. If you look at the history of colonization, it all started with middle-class educated dudes with big ambitions , the extremely poor, and the really loving weird

redshirt posted:

Yeah, if there are actual services and industry in space, there will be corresponding poorly paid workers to do the worst jobs. Rich folks ain't doing none of that.

:hmmyes: Bezos and Branson are the only capital B billionaires who've even been subortital. There are a bunch of software dudes who've been in orbit like Richard Garriott, but he's an edge case and most certainly qualifies under the 'really loving weird' category

Space travel is going to suck an incredible amount of rear end for the first century, and it will be the poor and desperate who get sent up to build the infrastructure, but capitalism will unquestionably drive space colonization.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
There should be a licensing test people are required to take before being allowed to use self-checkouts.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

givepatajob posted:

There should be a licensing test people are required to take before being allowed to use self-checkouts.

yeah it's called forcing people to work service to start their careers

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Vampire Panties posted:

Hard disagree. If you look at the history of colonization, it all started with middle-class educated dudes with big ambitions , the extremely poor, and the really loving weird

:hmmyes: Bezos and Branson are the only capital B billionaires who've even been subortital. There are a bunch of software dudes who've been in orbit like Richard Garriott, but he's an edge case and most certainly qualifies under the 'really loving weird' category

Space travel is going to suck an incredible amount of rear end for the first century, and it will be the poor and desperate who get sent up to build the infrastructure, but capitalism will unquestionably drive space colonization.

Tell me how a middle class person will get into orbit. I'm genuinely curious.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Costco/ Kirkland brand is overpriced bland junk

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Time_pants posted:

https://www.celestis.com/experiences-pricing/

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Hahahaha good answer!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Time_pants posted:

all it takes is delta v, simple as

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Time_pants posted:

Yeah well my dad has really strong legs and one day he jumped right into space and that’s why he can never come to my birthday parties anymore.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Costco/ Kirkland brand is overpriced bland junk
mods?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Most/all astronauts are middle class

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The middle class isn't real. They are low class who have been given free time to serve as a carrot on a stick for the rest.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Time_pants posted:

there was that flat earth guy who built a rocket and promptly flew it right into the ground and died.

maybe something like that with less death?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Time_pants posted:

How did Christopher Columbus get to the New World? Ferdinand and Isabella made a longshot bet because they would get loving paid if it worked out, plus they could flip the bird to John II of Portugal, their richass neighbor.

thats literally how humanity has worked for multiple thousands of years - a rich dude sees a chance to get more rich, and they send someone who is smart/educated enough to pull it off, but poor enough that nobody will care if they die / greedy enough to mount a suicide mission

To draw another analogy - Hot air balloons. The cost of rockets right now is somewhere between 18th century rich dude eccentricism and 19th/20th century vague military applications. It will only get cheaper.